Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 16, 2024, 03:18:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286827 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  James 2:22
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: James 2:22  (Read 1276 times)
alwpray

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2009, 04:20:32 PM »

Appreciate your views on the below:

James 2:22 You see that his faith and actions were working together, and his faith was made complee by what he did.

Now, in pretty much all bible commentaries, they talk about that genuine faith will of course produce good works and how it is not contradictory to what Paul says etc. That I do agree. However, I do feel that there is 1 more thing that is important in this verse which I have yet to find in bible commentaries (I know of a few reasons why its not dealt with though).

The 1 thing which I feel is important also is that when we obey, our faith grows too. Just like when Abraham was told to sacrifice his only son and yet he was told that he would have many offsprings. And yet, through the pain etc, he obeyed and when he obeyed, God saved his son by providing a ram for sacrifice.  And by this, I believe Abraham's faith in God did increase.

So what do you ll think?  Thanks
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 03:33:13 PM »

The commentary is not needed.  What are we doing when we do good works that would grow our faith?  We are doing God's will, thus obeying...so it would be redundant.  Smiley

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
alwpray

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 11:56:20 AM »

Thanks
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 01:46:35 AM »

Hello Alwpray,

Portions of Scripture like James 2:22 and others do cause consider confusion until one understands what is being talked about - by who - to who - and for what purpose.

The biggest confusion caused here for some is the belief that Salvation requires works. This would be wrong and is not the intended message.

There are like portions of Scripture from Paul that confuse a lot of people until they understand the subject matter and purpose. As an example, Paul many times talks about REWARDS that are over and above SALVATION! However, Paul makes this potential conflict completely clear.

Let me give you some thoughts that should help you unravel what is thought to be conflicts in Scripture that aren't at all.

There are three broad areas often confused:

1 - What is required for SALVATION;

2 - Exhortations for Christian Living and good works;

3 - Testimony before men.

There are also many logical arguments for all three areas. I'll go into a few. GOD looks at the heart and knows those who are HIS. Men like external evidence, signs, and LOGIC. What men like definitely involves the need for a Christian to have a pleasing LIVING TESTIMONY before MEN. Men can't see the heart, so men look for external evidence, signs, and LOGIC that a man or woman is saved. This is why a Christian's Pleasing LIVING TESTIMONY before MEN is so important for the LORD'S WORK. On the other side of the coin, a bad testimony before men by a Christian is destructive to the LORD'S WORK.

Most would make the LOGICAL argument that it would be impossible to be saved and not have any outward signs or evidence that the person is SAVED. James uses this LOGIC and is blunt about EXHORTING for Christian Living and Pleasing Testimonies before men. There certainly isn't anything odd about this - just common sense. Christians should know that what we do or don't do can hurt or help others, the LORD'S WORK, and ourselves. As a perfect example, GOD'S WORD tells us many ways that our "JOY CAN BE MORE FULL". I would think that a new Christian that became immediately STAGNANT would either be miserable or not a Christian at all. James thinks the same thing but puts it more bluntly. The thief on the CROSS next to JESUS was SAVED before he died, and he didn't have a single good work of any kind. JESUS CHRIST HIMSELF told the thief he was saved.

We could also talk about the INTERNAL versus the EXTERNAL to talk about the three broad areas that cause considerable confusion. The INTERNAL is easy because GOD THE HOLY SPIRIT lives in the hearts of Real Christians. GOD knows Real Christians from what HE sees in the heart - AND HE LIVES THERE. The EXTERNAL definitely involves the good and the bad that we do before men - OUR LIVING TESTIMONY BEFORE MEN - and GOOD WORKS that will be judged for REWARDS - over and above SALVATION!

Again, the LOGICAL argument would be that a Real Christian would want to do GOOD WORKS for the LORD and would want to have a good LIVING TESTIMONY before men. However, GOD does not require this in HIS WORD. Men could still make this LOGICAL argument, and James put this argument extremely blunt. Again, men look on the EXTERNAL, and most Christians would think that it would be impossible for a person to be a real Christian and NOT have a desire to do GOOD WORKS and have a PLEASING TESTIMONY before men. These EXTERNAL signs, actions, good works, and testimony obviously HURT OR HELP the LORD and the LOST. They also effect the FULLNESS OF OUR JOY and the QUALITY AND QUANTITY OF OF DAILY FELLOWSHIP WITH GOD. GOD'S WORD clearly tells us that a man can be saved without GOOD WORKS. At the least, I would consider this man or woman to be truly miserable and maybe not a Christian at all, but ONLY GOD would know.

Now, let's talk about the individual Christian and things that should be OBVIOUS and LOGICAL.

1 - We should have a desire to do GOOD WORKS simply because we appreciate what JESUS CHRIST did for us and the Love we have for HIM. The Apostle Paul wanted the REWARDS GOD Promised for GOOD WORKS, but we know that Paul's primary motivation was LOVING AND SERVING GOD.

2 - We should have a desire to have a LIVING TESTIMONY before men that is pleasing to the LORD. Knowing about the suffering of the LOST, we should have a desire to help them. Having a good LIVING TESTIMONY is a way to help everyone around us and open opportunities for us to share the Love of CHRIST with the LOST.

3 - We should have a natural desire to Study GOD'S WORD and grow in the Strength of CHRIST.

4 - Exhortations for Christian living should be welcomed by Real Christians because we know this is what GOD wants. The same is true for instructions about how to raise our families, how to love our spouse, and how to treat our children.

Finally, how to be SAVED is extremely easy - EASY enough for a small child to understand. In contrast - how to Grow in the Strength of CHRIST, how to make our JOY MORE FULL, how to have a pleasing TESTIMONY FOR THE LORD, how to please GOD more in Christian Living, and how to obtain REWARDS that are over and beyond SALVATION are more lengthy topics. We must not mix all of these things together and improperly teach that they are the way to be SAVED. I hope this helps you with your study.

Love In Christ,
Tom

2 Corinthians 4:1-18 NASB  Therefore, since we have this ministry, as we received mercy, we do not lose heart,  2  but we have renounced the things hidden because of shame, not walking in craftiness or adulterating the word of God, but by the manifestation of truth commending ourselves to every man's conscience in the sight of God.  3  And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing,  4  in whose case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelieving so that they might not see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.  5  For we do not preach ourselves but Christ Jesus as Lord, and ourselves as your bond-servants for Jesus' sake.  6  For God, who said, "Light shall shine out of darkness," is the One who has shone in our hearts to give the Light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Christ.  7  But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves;  8  we are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not despairing;  9  persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed;  10  always carrying about in the body the dying of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body.  11  For we who live are constantly being delivered over to death for Jesus' sake, so that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our mortal flesh.  12  So death works in us, but life in you.  13  But having the same spirit of faith, according to what is written, "I BELIEVED, THEREFORE I SPOKE," we also believe, therefore we also speak,  14  knowing that He who raised the Lord Jesus will raise us also with Jesus and will present us with you.  15  For all things are for your sakes, so that the grace which is spreading to more and more people may cause the giving of thanks to abound to the glory of God.  16  Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner man is being renewed day by day.  17  For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison,  18  while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 01:54:52 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

alwpray

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2009, 10:02:34 AM »

Thanks blackeyedpeas.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the