Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 06:54:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286825 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Martyrs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Martyrs  (Read 1851 times)
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2004, 12:24:46 AM »

Present day christian martyrs  --  past christian martyrs (other than Jesus).

How did their death change the world?  How was the world before their death?  After their death?  Do you think there was an immediate effect or did it take time?  Or do you think their deaths serve as inspirations only?

Would like to hear some of your thoughts.

Psalm 119

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2004, 08:07:58 AM »

Dear Cris,

This is an excellent topic!

"The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church"

From the first Christian martyr Jesus, to the 11 of the 12 disciples, martyrdom serves to grow and strengthen the faith.

Take China for instance, the church there was weak in the faith until the Communist takeover in 1949. When the persecution began, and the sheep and the goats were separated, the church has flourished. There is now close to 100 million believers in China now.

The Voice of the Martyrs www.persecution.com is an excellent resource on keeping up to date with our persecuted brothers and sisters in Christ. We are to share in their sufferings. We should also be prepared to suffer and die for the cause of Christ.

Psalm 119
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2004, 02:08:15 PM »

Whoa! Deep!  Undecided

My first thought was Stephen, and his death had a pretty immediate effect as far as Paul was concerned.

And I hate to be wimpy about any more, but I'd have to say that anything else I'd have to think about for a bit! You asked much more than 'yes' or 'no' questions! Lips Sealed

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2004, 02:22:25 PM »

Dear Cris,

This is an excellent topic!

"The blood of the martyrs is the seed of the church"

From the first Christian martyr Jesus, to the 11 of the 12 disciples, martyrdom serves to grow and strengthen the faith.

Take China for instance, the church there was weak in the faith until the Communist takeover in 1949. When the persecution began, and the sheep and the goats were separated, the church has flourished. There is now close to 100 million believers in China now.

The Voice of the Martyrs www.persecution.com is an excellent resource on keeping up to date with our persecuted brothers and sisters in Christ. We are to share in their sufferings. We should also be prepared to suffer and die for the cause of Christ.

Psalm 119

That's good Psalm 119 - very good!  Thanks.

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2004, 03:16:08 PM »

Whoa! Deep!  Undecided

My first thought was Stephen, and his death had a pretty immediate effect as far as Paul was concerned.

And I hate to be wimpy about any more, but I'd have to say that anything else I'd have to think about for a bit! You asked much more than 'yes' or 'no' questions! Lips Sealed

I knew it would be thought provoking and not one of the easier topics but anyway I think Psalm 119 did a good job.  I had forgotton about Stephen  Embarrassed.  Guess my mind was focused on the more recent martyrs (last 1000 years or so).   I remember reading about the life of Thomas More (a catholic martyr).  It had a lasting effect because I still remember it.  His wife begged him to compromise but he wouldn't.  Don't know if I'd ever be that strong.  I would hope that I would, but I don't know.  Sure makes one think!!

Psalm 119

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2004, 03:47:59 PM »

Cris,

Thanks!  I guess I have a martyr's complex. Actually, I have read many martyr books such as Foxes Book of Martyrs,  and have a deep concern for my brothers and sisters who are being persecuted and martyred in this present age. Everyday hundreds, if not thousands, of Christians are dying for their faith. In countries like Sudan, there have been over 2 million deaths in the last decade or so.China is another hotbed of persecution, as well as most Muslim nations.

Maybe one day here in America we will share in the same sufferings? The question, "are we prepared?"

Psalm 119
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2004, 04:29:36 PM »

Cris,

Thanks!  I guess I have a martyr's complex. Actually, I have read many martyr books such as Foxes Book of Martyrs,  and have a deep concern for my brothers and sisters who are being persecuted and martyred in this present age. Everyday hundreds, if not thousands, of Christians are dying for their faith. In countries like Sudan, there have been over 2 million deaths in the last decade or so.China is another hotbed of persecution, as well as most Muslim nations.

Maybe one day here in America we will share in the same sufferings? The question, "are we prepared?"

Psalm 119

I hope that NEVER happens, but if it should, it will certainly show us something VERY important, won't it!

Do you think the death of these people effected any change in those countries?  I don't expect you to know that answer so don't really know why I asked.  I guess, it is my hope, that it has. It's every once in awhile just ONE is remembered for their faith while the others are pretty much forgotton.  God doesn't forget them though, for sure!  Come quickly Lord!!

I just really feel led to pray for all of those suffering for Christ at this very minute.  Father, remember those right now who are willing to die for you.  Protect them Lord.  Give them strength and courage.  Send your angels to battle for them, Father.  Rebuke the enemy from their life and spare them, Lord.  Because of their faith draw others to You right now, even as I pray.  This I ask in the name of Jesus Christ.  Amen.

Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2004, 03:16:31 PM »

Some thoughts on the subject:

It is a symptom of the heart of the world, and a fulfillment of prophecy. The prophets of old were killed; Christ said we too would suffer at the hands of a society that thought it was doing the "right thing".

I believe it is also an inspiration to the rest of the Body of Christ; it makes them stronger, because they are united by so powerful a faith that death cannot sever it. It is a punishment inflicted by unbelieving men who try to escape God's authority by getting rid of His messengers. It is a startling witness to the unsaved, who see and sometimes commit the murder of Christians who would rather have their Jesus than their life.

Above all, it gives glory to God; people who are in mourning are closest to the heart of their Savior, and those who die for His life have a sweeter song. The death of the saints is precious in His sight.

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
Psalm 119

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2004, 05:23:49 PM »

Cris,

I just finished reading an excellent book entitled The Heavenly Man. It's about a Chinese pastor in the Home Church movement. It details his sufferings for the cause of Christ. One thing that stands in my mind, he stated that we  should not pray that the persecution will stop. He feared if it did, the church would fail to be strong. It was through the persecution that the Chinese House Church has grown by leaps and bounds.

In America we are a picture of the Laodecian Church. We are in need of nothing. We have our big structures, padded seats, and fine sound systems. It's quite comfortable to be a "Christian" in this nation. It's a cross-less religion here in America. But you take a country like China, coming to Christ and living for Him, is a literal life and death decision.You have full understanding to come to Christ is to be buried into His death, and His sufferings. It will cost you dearly to follow Jesus.

I'm convinced that one day, God in His mercy, will bring our nation to it's knees. The day will come when the church games will stop. We will either be considered a "goat" or a "sheep". God will sift the wheat from chaff.

Psalms 119
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2004, 05:32:40 PM »

Cris,

I just finished reading an excellent book entitled The Heavenly Man. It's about a Chinese pastor in the Home Church movement. It details his sufferings for the cause of Christ. One thing that stands in my mind, he stated that we  should not pray that the persecution will stop. He feared if it did, the church would fail to be strong. It was through the persecution that the Chinese House Church has grown by leaps and bounds.

In America we are a picture of the Laodecian Church. We are in need of nothing. We have our big structures, padded seats, and fine sound systems. It's quite comfortable to be a "Christian" in this nation. It's a cross-less religion here in America. But you take a country like China, coming to Christ and living for Him, is a literal life and death decision.You have full understanding to come to Christ is to be buried into His death, and His sufferings. It will cost you dearly to follow Jesus.

I'm convinced that one day, God in His mercy, will bring our nation to it's knees. The day will come when the church games will stop. We will either be considered a "goat" or a "sheep". God will sift the wheat from chaff.

Psalms 119

Psalms 119

That sounds like a good book.

We're a blessed nation.  I don't know who it was but someone said we're blessed because we are such a generous nation.  God honors that, at least in my opinion, He does.

I disagree with ya just a little bit on religion in America being cross-less. Maybe compared to China it is but, cross-less, no, I don't think so.  We just have a "different" cross to bear.  I'm thinking more individually than corporately though.

Church games-------oh yeah, hear you loud and clear.

cris

sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2004, 05:44:30 AM »

Q & A with Underground Chinese Pastors
International Christian Concern:

Q: What Would The Church Be Like Without Persecution?
A: “The church would not grow and there wouldn’t be revival. People would be caught up with pleasure and the current trends of society. The preacher’s love for God and his flock will decrease – they will not have clear vision. The Chinese Church has grown and survived because of persecution. We don’t like persecution, but every time it comes we grow and we fall in love with God more. Persecution is from God’s mercy; it is His inoculation against decay and destruction. No persecution means we will have lukewarm Christians with weak spiritual lives. In fact, without persecution, the number of churches in China would rise but their devotion would fall.” Pastor Li

Posted by Tim on Thursday, February 19, 2004 at 7:37am
http://www.carriedcross.org/weblog.asp?showlog=3

Forrest
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2004, 02:54:07 PM »

Q & A with Underground Chinese Pastors
International Christian Concern:

Q: What Would The Church Be Like Without Persecution?
A: “The church would not grow and there wouldn’t be revival. People would be caught up with pleasure and the current trends of society. The preacher’s love for God and his flock will decrease – they will not have clear vision. The Chinese Church has grown and survived because of persecution. We don’t like persecution, but every time it comes we grow and we fall in love with God more. Persecution is from God’s mercy; it is His inoculation against decay and destruction. No persecution means we will have lukewarm Christians with weak spiritual lives. In fact, without persecution, the number of churches in China would rise but their devotion would fall.” Pastor Li

Posted by Tim on Thursday, February 19, 2004 at 7:37am
http://www.carriedcross.org/weblog.asp?showlog=3

I agree every where, and every time there is persecution the Church grows, and is stronger for it. I pray for persecution, with out it the church becomes complacent,and week.

Your Brother In Christ
          Forrest              
ROM 12:5 So we, [being] many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the