Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 02:25:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286824 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Politics and Political Issues (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Bush grants presidency extraordinary powers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bush grants presidency extraordinary powers  (Read 1213 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: May 23, 2007, 09:09:31 AM »

Bush grants presidency
extraordinary powers 
Order for emergencies apparently gives
authority without congressional oversight

President Bush has signed an executive order granting extraordinary powers to the office of the president in the event of a declared national emergency, apparently without congressional approval or oversight.

The order was signed May 9 without any announcement, says Jerome R. Corsi in a WND column.

Titled, "National Security and Homeland Security Presidential Directive," it was issued with the dual designation of NSPD-51, as a National Security Presidential Directive, and HSPD-20, as a Homeland Security Presidential Directive.

The order establishes under the office of the president a new national continuity coordinator whose job is to make plans for "National Essential Functions" of all federal, state, local, territorial and tribal governments, as well as private sector organizations to continue functioning under the president's directives in the event of a national emergency.

"Catastrophic emergency" is loosely defined as "any incident, regardless of location, that results in extraordinary levels of mass casualties, damage, or disruption severely affecting the U.S. population, infrastructure, environment, economy, or government functions."

Corsi says the president can assume the power to direct any and all government and business activities until the emergency is declared over.

The executive order says the assistant to the president for Homeland Security and Counterterrorism, currently Frances Fragos Townsend, would be designated as the national continuity coordinator.

Corsi says the executive order makes no attempt to reconcile the powers created for the national continuity coordinator with the National Emergency Act, which requires that such proclamation "shall immediately be transmitted to the Congress and published in the Federal Register."

A Congressional Research Service study notes the National Emergency Act sets up Congress as a balance empowered to "modify, rescind, or render dormant" such emergency authority if Congress believes the president has acted inappropriately.

But the new executive order appears to supersede the National Emergency Act by creating the new position of national continuity coordinator without any specific act of Congress authorizing the position, Corsi says.

The order also makes no reference to Congress and its language appears to negate any a requirement that the president submit to Congress a determination that a national emergency exists.

It suggests instead that the powers of the executive order can be implemented without any congressional approval or oversight.

Homeland Security spokesman Russ Knocke affirmed to Corsi the Homeland Security Department would implement the requirements of the order under Townsend's direction.

The White House declined to comment on the order.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 09:10:03 AM »

Making way for a dictatorship.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 09:19:30 AM »

Yeah and that is a real scary thought.  And something I really did not expect from Bush...specially on his way out.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 09:21:26 AM »

Presidents of other nations have used this sort of thing in order to stay in office beyond the end of their term.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 10:16:35 AM »

Brothers,

I think that there is much more to this than what first meets the eye. We have to remember that the President took horrendous criticism over hurricane Katrina. BUT, he and other agencies were hindered by gross incompetency at local and state levels. Innocent people were the real victims in the lack of ability to coordinate multiple levels of red tape and roadblocks set in place by incompetents.

The end result was not a mayor and a governor taking responsibility for their actions and inactions, rather the President getting all of the blame for every level of failure. This was a natural disaster that might be small in comparison to intentional attacks on our soil. The use of nuclear or biological devices on our soil is what's dreaded, and it appears that this might be a real possibility that should be planned for. Failure of various levels of government that tied the hands of other levels of government in a massive scenario would be unacceptable. If the President is going to be blamed anyway, it stands to reason that mechanisms must be put in place to remove red tape and allow proper coordination of all available emergency services. SO, I think this makes much more sense than what first meets the eye.

When massive and horrible events happen, it's not the time for debate and having a group like Congress running in all different directions. This is why the President has always had powers under the Constitution to act immediately under many different emergency circumstances. Had Congress been coordinating emergency efforts for hurricane Katrina, the MESS started by a mayor and a governor would have been magnified 100 times. After thinking about this, I doubt that any citizen would want Congress to be in charge of an emergency response to anything.

If rapid response to a massive event is critical, someone must be given the authority to properly respond and coordinate all efforts without all of the political baloney. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think this is the purpose of this order. Without it, a response to the use of a nuclear device or biological weapon would look like the Keystone Cops or worse.

Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 10:32:48 AM »

While I agree with you BEP I also see other potential problems in that.  A President with ability to act unchecked is just one step closer to declaring himself El Presidente until he dies.  Not that I believe that would be an easy step to make because a large portion of the populace would revolt...but it would destroy this country.

I believe that disasters and things like that should be clearly defined.  For example a hurricane that hits the Gulf Coast and causes a certain amount of damage in 3 states.  That would be a National Emergency because it crosses state borders.  But a train wreck that is the worst in history by killing 100's of people and doing millions in damage is still contained within a state would not be.  Fed funds could be provided as well as resources but under the direction of the state.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 10:49:08 AM »

I'm looking at the long range effect this will have also. It may be a good thing for such emergencies but it is also one step closer to setting up a dictatorship. President Bush himself may not take advantage of it in that manner but I do see others that would. As I said it was this very type of situation that Presidents of other nations did use to extend their time in office. Right off the top of my head I clearly remember President Marcos of the Philippines using just such an act to continue in office for quite a number of years.

Faithin1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2007, 11:48:20 AM »

As much as I would like to believe his intentions are honorable, I agree with Pastor Roger.  I believe something very ominous is developing in this country.  I can't help but think of Eph 6:12  For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

His endorsement of an immigration bill that clearly does not serve the interest of the citizens of this country, and is saturated with provisions no rational person could possibly condone, is very suspect.  The surreptitious manner in which it was constructed, the attempt to expedite passage without consideration for costs, or feasibility of implementation and maintenance, boggles the mind.  In one breath, Kennedy, et al continue to state that the borders will be secured prior to any actions being taken.  In the next breath, he states that if we do not have a Guest Worker program, they will continue to sneak into this country.  What happened to the impenetrable borders?  If we will in fact have secured borders, how will these people continue to illegally enter our country?   

I could be wrong, but I believe Bush has no intentions of securing our borders.  Why would he want our borders secured when he desperately wants a North American Union, which would integrate the three countries of Canada, U.S. and Mexico?  Something is brewing, and it stinks.

As more of the immigration bill is being released, I see provisions that are absolutely astounding.  For example (source CNN), a proposal that would force taxpayers for the first time ever to pay for the lawyers for illegal aliens and take legal services away from America's poor.  The bill would give illegal aliens priority over Americans in poverty.  All background checks on those applying for amnesty must be completed within 24 hours.  Having first-hand experience with criminal background checks, I can assure you that a complete background check requires much more than 24 hours.  In effect, there will be no background checks on these people.  It's a travesty and a sham.   Gang members would be given amnesty if they renounce their gang membership. If an illegal alien is arrested in an enforcement raid and might be eligible for amnesty, the government must provide help in applying for the Z visa and release the illegal alien.  Accordingly, illegal alien criminals would be exempt from the laws for which an American citizen would be arrested, prosecuted and incarcerated.  Just think of the ramifications of allowing hundreds of thousands of pedophiles, rapists, murderers, identity thieves, and only God knows what else, to freely live in this country.  Our judicial system can't keep track of the criminals who are citizens.  Why would we want more? 

I hate to sound cynical, but I simply no longer trust our government.  Only God can help us. 

Heb. 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2007, 12:14:23 PM »

Amen, sister. For those reasons and more I have lost trust in our government. Soldiers that simply executed their duties being brought up on charges and prosecuted. Sheriffs, border agents and more being charged and imprisoned for the simple execution of their duties while a drug smuggler is let go free so he can again break the law and not be stopped for doing so. The pandering of criminals that have blatantly broken our laws and are not only released without prosecution but are given rewards for doing so. Immorality given a green light while all things moral are being stamped upon.

I'm sorry if I seem a bit strong on this but I am simply appalled at the inactions of people, some even that claim to be Christian, that simply sit by and let all this happen without taking any steps to fight it and some that are even blindly helping it to happen.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2007, 12:37:12 PM »

Brothers and Sisters,

I certainly agree that many things stink in current affairs. I also think that all current political efforts are directly opposed to what the people want and demand. It's in violation of already existing laws.

So, I'm not a happy camper with Bush or anyone else. My comments were about this executive order. I could be wrong, but I believe it pertains only to the sitting President and extends ZERO power to a President who is no longer in office. The purpose appears to be for National Emergencies AND, probably more specifically, attacks against us on our own soil.

If and when we get attacked on our own soil, I firmly believe that President Bush will bear his portion of the blame. He's been very proactive in other countries, but he's done nothing here in our own country. I firmly believe that we must continue a global battle against terrorists, but I also firmly believe that we must secure our own borders. It appears that President Bush and many other politicians don't want to secure our borders. In my opinion, their lack of responsibility in this area is CRIMINAL and they should all be held responsible. The House and Senate members are more responsible than any other entity. They deal directly with the people and know what the people want. They could easily pass what the people want, and the President couldn't stop it. That's why we have a balance of power.

BUT, it isn't working! The politicians appear to care less what the people have already demanded. SO, they are no longer representatives of the people, and they are putting all of us in grave danger with their silly political GAMES. Their failure to act will test response to massive events much sooner than anyone can imagine, and they will have sent the invitations to those who attack us.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2007, 12:43:34 PM »

I could be wrong, but I believe it pertains only to the sitting President and extends ZERO power to a President who is no longer in office. The purpose appears to be for National Emergencies AND, probably more specifically, attacks against us on our own soil.

I hope that you are correct on this. It is something to check out to see how far these Executive Orders can extend.

Faithin1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2007, 12:47:34 PM »

We are not only at war in Iraq and Afghanistan, but we are at war here in the US.  The only difference is that this war is being fought without firing a shot.   

I read a comment someone left in response to an article in the Washington Post that referenced the Bible.  It really made me think.

Deu 28:43-50

The stranger that is within thee shall get up above thee very high; and thou shalt come down very low.

He shall lend to thee, and thou shalt not lend to him: he shall be the head, and thou shalt be the tail.

Moreover all these curses shall come upon thee, and shall pursue thee, and overtake thee, till thou be destroyed; because thou hearkenedst not unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to keep his commandments and his statutes which he commanded thee:

And they shall be upon thee for a sign and for a wonder, and upon thy seed for ever.

Because thou servedst not the LORD thy God with joyfulness, and with gladness of heart, for the abundance of all things;
herefore shalt thou serve thine enemies which the LORD shall send against thee, in hunger, and in thirst, and in nakedness, and in want of all things: and he shall put a yoke of iron upon thy neck, until he have destroyed thee.

The LORD shall bring a nation against thee from far, from the end of the earth, as swift as the eagle flieth; a nation whose tongue thou shalt not understand;

A nation of fierce countenance, which shall not regard the person of the old, nor shew favour to the young:

And he shall eat the fruit of thy cattle, and the fruit of thy land, until thou be destroyed: which also shall not leave thee either corn, wine, or oil, or the increase of thy kine, or flocks of thy sheep, until he have destroyed thee.

Heb. 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2007, 01:18:20 PM »

Exactly. It will happen but that does not preclude the fact that we as Christians should be doing all we can to fight evil.

On the subject of Executive orders. There are current Executive Orders that are still in effect that were signed by previous Presidents. It requires an act of Congress or an act of the Supreme Court to over ride an Executive Order. So in this aspect if there is no action taken it will continue to stand. To date, U.S. courts have overturned only two executive orders:

The Supreme Court ruled in Youngstown Sheet and Tube Co. v. Sawyer, 343 U.S. 579 (1952) that Executive Order 10340 from President Harry S. Truman placing all steel mills in the country under federal control was invalid because it attempted to make law, rather than clarify or act to further a law put forth by the Congress or the Constitution.

The other one was a 1996 order issued by President Bill Clinton that attempted to prevent the U.S. government from contracting with organizations that had strike-breakers on the payroll.

Congress may overturn an executive order by passing legislation in conflict with it or by refusing to approve funding to enforce it. In the former, the president retains the power to veto such a decision; however, the Congress may override a veto with a two-thirds majority to end an executive order.

An Executive Order may have an "expiration date" incorporated in it by the President and can be replaced as ineffective by a concurrent President writing another Executive Order that over rides it.

Faithin1
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2007, 01:36:47 PM »

Exactly. It will happen but that does not preclude the fact that we as Christians should be doing all we can to fight evil.

You're absolutely right!  I refuse to sit back and do nothing. 

On the subject of Executive orders. There are current Executive Orders that are still in effect that were signed by previous Presidents. It requires an act of Congress or an act of the Supreme Court to over ride an Executive Order. So in this aspect if there is no action taken it will continue to stand. To date, U.S. courts have overturned only two executive orders:

I certainly pray that our Congress will not permit that to happen.  I know that they are not 'all' panderers.

An Executive Order may have an "expiration date" incorporated in it by the President and can be replaced as ineffective by a concurrent President writing another Executive Order that over rides it.

I wonder if the current one has an expiration date?  In any case, this is going to be interesting.  Thanks for the info.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2007, 01:41:50 PM »

I wonder if the current one has an expiration date?  In any case, this is going to be interesting.  Thanks for the info.

Most of the "expiration dates" are those that involve a war or some other similar incident. The order "expires" when the incident is over.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the