Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 03:45:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286825 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  GOP Candidate's Call for Labor Camp Rebuked
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: GOP Candidate's Call for Labor Camp Rebuked  (Read 1858 times)
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« on: June 24, 2006, 07:08:24 PM »

I know Pastor Roger probely has posted this, but I want to see how y'all feel about Don Goldwaters comment.

This topic will not become a racial comment, or a attack topic. Any attacking, racial comments against one another the post will be removed, and the poster warned.
======================================================================

GOP Candidate's Call for Labor Camp Rebuked
Republican Candidate's Call for Forced Labor Camp for Immigrants Angers Two GOP Lawmakers
By JENNIFER TALHELM
The Associated Press

WASHINGTON - A Republican gubernatorial candidate's call for creation of a forced labor camp for illegal immigrants drew rebukes Friday from two GOP lawmakers, who labeled it a low point in the immigration debate.

Don Goldwater, nephew of the late Sen. Barry Goldwater, caused an international stir this week when EFE, a Mexican news service, quoted him as saying he wanted to hold undocumented immigrants in camps to use them "as labor in the construction of a wall and to clean the areas of the Arizona desert that they're polluting."

The article described Goldwater's plan as a "concentration camp" for migrants.

Goldwater, a candidate for governor in Arizona, said in a statement Friday that his comments were taken out of context. He said he was calling for a work program for convicted nonviolent felons, similar to "tried and tested, effective and accepted practices" used by state and local jails.

But two Republicans, Arizona Sen. John McCain and Rep. Jim Kolbe, called Goldwater's comments "deeply offensive" and asked state Republicans to reject his candidacy in the Sept. 12 primary.

"That Mr. Goldwater is either unaware of or indifferent to the loaded symbolism, injustice and un-Americanism of his 'plan' to address the many serious issues caused by illegal immigration reveals his flaws as a candidate and a stunning lack of respect for the basic values of a generous and decent society," McCain said in a statement.

Kolbe said that if the comments are true, Goldwater "has demonstrated his complete unworthiness for public office, and I am confident he will be soundly rejected by Republicans from the party of Barry Goldwater, who consistently demonstrated his compassion and respect for all people. This is a sad day in the national debate on immigration policy."

McCain and Kolbe favor a guest-worker program for illegal immigrants.

Goldwater made a similar comment at an April anti-immigration rally.

"Build us that wall now!" Goldwater said, referring to a proposal to add 700 miles of fences along the U.S.-Mexico border. He promised then that if elected, he would put illegal immigrants in a tent city on the border and use their labor to build the wall.

Barry Goldwater, the former Arizona senator, was the Republican presidential nominee in 1964.

GOP Candidate's Call for Labor Camp Rebuked

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 07:11:16 PM »

I myself am against this, as it would seem like nazi Germany of 1933.  I do however favor a guest worker program, for illegal immigrants.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 07:23:51 PM »

We already have a guest worker program. It has been in effect for many years. There are many that come to the U.S. legally every year. They used to be called migrant farmers. I worked with a number of them in 1970 in the Cherry Tree farms in Calif. We don't need any more laws. We simply need to enforce the ones that we already have.

Unfortunately when they are enforced and these people are sent back over the border they simply come back again the same way they did before. Illegally.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Kelly4Jesus

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 03:49:42 PM »

Okay, I am edging..EVERY SO CAREFULLY into the water..

I believe that America today has forgotten how it became the country it is today--
Immigrants.

Okay..I am running now!

God Bless,
Kelly

God Bless You Always!
In The Precious Love of Jesus,
Kelly

Psalm 62: 5 Find rest, O my soul, in God alone;  my hope comes from him.  6 He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 04:14:37 PM »

No need to run brother. Your statement is completely understandable.

First the one thing that I want to say about Brother Bob's fisrt statement. I agree with him this is not a racial issue. It is an issue about what is legal and what is not.

Yes many of our forefathers were indeed immigrants into this nation. My own ggg- grandfather on my Dad's side came here with his family from Sweden in the early 1800's. Another one, my mother side, came here from Ireland prior to that.  All of them came here very legally, according to the laws of that time.

Our countries motto states it clearly, we are here to accept those the other countries don't want. However there are laws to abide by. A legal way to enter the country and an illegal way to do so. Many of those that are entering here illegally are doing so because they cannot do so legally. Criminals to begin with. I have worked with many that have come here legally on a work permit. Some very nice law abiding citizens. Some of which eventually became legal citizens.

I have also worked with those that have come here legally. People that I would not turn my back on for a second.

This is a hard thing that our politicians must contend with and it is something that I am glad that I am not in their position. Their are definitive lines that must be drawn to prevent those from entering that would have us killed and the U.S. destroyed without abridging our freedoms or those that want to enter the U.S. for proper reasons.

A wall or labor camps?? Sounds too much like communism to me.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2006, 06:18:10 PM »

News Agency Apologizes to Ariz. Candidate
Jun 28 12:37 AM US/Eastern

By PAUL DAVENPORT
Associated Press Writer

PHOENIX

A Spanish news agency apologized for a report that described a Republican gubernatorial candidate's proposed work program for illegal immigrants as "concentration camps."

The story last week caused an international stir when EFE, a national news agency of Spain, quoted candidate Don Goldwater as saying he wanted to hold undocumented immigrants in camps to use them "as labor in the construction of a wall and to clean the areas of the Arizona desert that they're polluting."

EFE Executive Vice President Emillio Sanchez said a freelance writer for the news agency inaccurately described Goldwater's plan.

"Upon further reflection, our investigation has determined that your plan to house illegal prisoners in a tent city is consistent with accepted practices for nonviolent American prisoners in your area," Sanchez said in the letter released Tuesday by Goldwater's campaign.

The letter also acknowledged that the freelance reporter never interviewed Goldwater or any of his staff for the story.

Sanchez confirmed the letter's contents when contacted by The Associated Press by phone on Tuesday.

Goldwater, nephew of the late Sen. Barry Goldwater, said he accepted EFE's apology and hopes that several Republican members of Arizona's congressional delegation also will apologize for criticizing him following the report.

Goldwater is one of four Republicans seeking his party's nomination to challenge Democratic Gov. Janet Napolitano.

News Agency Apologizes to Ariz. Candidate

Kelly4Jesus

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2006, 07:12:19 PM »

Tiptoes in...

Brother? Um...I must start wearing dresses so I am better known! LOL (Am a sister).

Too bad the Native American's didn't use the same policies though. Our first ancestors would not have been here.

We have legal camps for the Native American's as well--only crime they committed was to live here BEFORE anyone else came in. They call those camps, reservations.

Runs out even quicker (not a fan on how immigrants are treated these days..can you tell?)

GBY
Kelly

God Bless You Always!
Kelly

Psalm 62: 5 Find rest, O my soul, in God alone;  my hope comes from him.  6 He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2006, 07:49:39 PM »

Tiptoes in...

Brother? Um...I must start wearing dresses so I am better known! LOL (Am a sister).

GBY
Kelly

No sister, you don't have to wear a dress.

PS Nice work on your website Kelly.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2006, 08:03:42 PM »

Sorry about that Kelly. Kinda hard to tell by the writing.   Grin Grin Grin

Yes the Indians did get a raw deal. Unfortunately all of them got labeled as violent because of a few that preferred to kill and some of those did so out of pure survival. The difference is there were no laws and no central government when non-Indians came to this country. At that time there were basically no immigration laws anywhere in the world. Yes some immigrants are being treated badly but then there are many more immigrants that treat everyone badly. Way to many (and this is the important word) illegal immigrants are willing to ignore all of our laws just as they did the immigration law they ignored to get here. There are laws for a reason. If they are bad laws then change them. If they are not bad laws they need to be enforced. If people want to immigrate here then they need to assimilate into the community properly by abiding by the laws otherwise there is no need to have any laws at all.

Kelly4Jesus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2006, 11:04:26 PM »

It's okay Pastor, I look in the mirror, see chin hairs and consider shaving. Smiley (Age didn't come so gracefully here).

The thing with me is that, I see so many that are citizens, breaking the laws or living off our system (aka welfare) and then see immigrants come in, work long hours for hardly any pay, living in filth, yet are better citizens than some that are already here. We also have terrorists, born and raised here--and many of them. They are Ku Klux Klan members, or one of our most "famous" ones, Timothy McVey (spelling is to be excused, for lack of brain cells still generating). I am not saying we should just open up the flood gates but, everyone should have a chance at freedom, the way our parents and grandparents did. Because of laws in place today, many have to find that freedom in other ways. We also have many legal immigrants that come in and are terrorists as well. I don't see a simple alternative.

I guess I have this crazy dream that, one day we will all live together as one and not have to show our passport to be accepted. We just have to show that our name is on the Book of Life, and all living together freely as God intended us to do.

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free".
Not to mention a blood sample, a urine sample, references on your entire family tree and their family tree, and all the money you have so we can make sure we can pay the rich politicians that are against you being here in the first place.

No, I am not one of those nuts that carry rifles and make their own laws. I just think we sometimes forget what America is all about--right down to In God We Trust.

God Bless *and I see that egg behind your back*,
Kelly

God Bless You Always!
Kelly

Kelly4Jesus

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2006, 11:06:57 PM »

No sister, you don't have to wear a dress.

PS Nice work on your website Kelly.
LOL on the dress..trust me, you would hand me the jeans after I put it on.

Thanks for the comment about the web site bro. God takes the Glory on all of it though. Had He not held my hand and led me during the time when I lost my son (and my faith as well), it never would have been done. I might have turned away from Him but He never turned away from me. Praise Jesus!

God Bless,
Kelly

God Bless You Always!
Kelly

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2006, 11:12:00 PM »

Thanks for the comment about the web site bro. God takes the Glory on all of it though. Had He not held my hand and led me during the time when I lost my son (and my faith as well), it never would have been done. I might have turned away from Him but He never turned away from me. Praise Jesus!

God Bless,
Kelly
AMEN Kelly the Lord did the same for me, with the death of my wife. 

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2006, 04:35:47 AM »

Hi Kelly,

lol  ....   that egg is for DreamWeaver.   Wink Grin Grin 

You make some excellant points and they are all the more reason why I am glad that I am not in the Presidents position or a member of Congress. They have some very difficult decisions to make ahead. My prayers are with them daily in this. May God guide them in making the right ones for all.

(Age didn't come so gracefully here)

Nor here.  Grin Grin

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2006, 04:41:26 AM »

Hi Kelly,

lol  ....   that egg is for DreamWeaver.   Wink Grin Grin 

Huh Huh  I guess she didn't see the pie behind my back.  But that pie is for you brother...............  Grin

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 04:42:48 AM »

I could use a pie right now. I am a bit hungry.   Grin Grin Grin

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the