Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 04:54:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286824 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Is Gospel Rap Comforming To The World?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is Gospel Rap Comforming To The World?  (Read 6671 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2005, 07:21:06 PM »

I personally do not like rap but I will not denigrate God by saying that He cannot and will not use it to His benefit.

I personally do not understand a lot of the vernacular used in rap and I suppose that is why I dislike it. I do not consider it music but rather a form of poetry that is sometimes recited with music accompaniments.  It is not unlike the poetry of the beatnik era.

At one time in history, Country Gospel, Southern Gospel Quartets, etc was considered by conservative Christians to be blasphemy. This is true even of the original renditions of There Will Be Peace in the Valley", "We'll Understand It Better By and By",  "Amazing Grace", "The Lords Prayer", and yes even "Rock of Ages" and "The Old Rugged Cross".

My personal favorite type of music is the old fashioned Appalachian Folk style Gospel. My grandmother was hill folk and sang me to sleep at night with some of the sweetist Gospel music that ever crossed human lips.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Bronzesnake
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2005, 08:50:52 PM »

Ya! What he said!  Angry

Here is an image of the average rappers skull cavity...

Bronzesnake  Cheesy
Mrs.Chosen

Chosen By GOD Isaiah 43:1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2005, 11:34:25 PM »

Now I see that everyone on here might not love the LORD and HIS people. Let me ask you this...
Who is gonna reach a young black girl that was rapped at the age of 9 years old living in a terrible neighbor hood.
Never knew her dad, mom is on drugs and she has never been to a church and doesn't see the need. She dresses bad cause mom showed her how to dress this way.
Who's gonna reach her cause GOD loves her too.
Someone says go to church and when she does everyone is looking at her mean and saying mean things cause how she is dressed. Who's gonna reach her.
Whos gonna reach the young black man who has a dad he's never meet and his mom left him to the state. Now he lives with people that treat him like crap. He see's his friends get killed day in and day out and he's lost in the streets and drugs is his best friend. Who's going to reach them.
Despit what anyone thinks we as Gospel Artist do not imitate the world, we are trying to get the world to imitate us because we are imitating Christ.
We do not use their words we use the word of GOD and if you (who ever it aplies) read the gospel rap I posted you would see scripture. Now the evidence that GOD is for gospel rap is the 100's of lost souls that are coming to Christ with their clothes all trashy, and letting GOD do the fixing!

In Christ Jesus Love,

L.Gore
Mrs.Chosen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2005, 11:40:30 PM »

Bronze, I guess it's safe to assume that from now on when you see my name you are just going to disagee period. Because you 1st said
Quote "So, yes, I think any music that has Jesus as a main factor is very good, however, the artists must be saved Christians, and live accordingly. No violent overtones - no "bling bling" hanging - no "beehotches" in cellophane wrap bikinis...etc.

Bronzesnake "

Now you are putting pictures up with a worldy cartoon character saying that you agree with Gospel rap copying the world? Wow I guess I have to go elese where to make some Christian friends.

"Gopel Rap By Lisa Gore"

The Word was said the command was given.
Spead the Gospel be Jesus driven.
We gotta bring GOD glory thats why were living.
Spread the Gospel!!!

In Christ Jesus Love,

L.Gore
Bronzesnake
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2005, 01:08:58 AM »

Bronze, I guess it's safe to assume that from now on when you see my name you are just going to disagee period. Because you 1st said
Quote "So, yes, I think any music that has Jesus as a main factor is very good, however, the artists must be saved Christians, and live accordingly. No violent overtones - no "bling bling" hanging - no "beehotches" in cellophane wrap bikinis...etc.

Bronzesnake "

Now you are putting pictures up with a worldy cartoon character saying that you agree with Gospel rap copying the world? Wow I guess I have to go elese where to make some Christian friends.

"Gopel Rap By Lisa Gore"

The Word was said the command was given.
Spead the Gospel be Jesus driven.
We gotta bring GOD glory thats why were living.
Spread the Gospel!!!

My sister.

I was just goofin in my last post...note the cartoon characters, and the smiling smilie face beside my username?

I've only disagreed with you on the Jews topic.

Bronzesnake.
Reba
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2005, 01:22:09 AM »

Mrs. Chosen,

Bronze is wrong but fair   Lips Sealed . Give him a chance. Wink
Bronzesnake
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2005, 01:50:36 AM »

Mrs. Chosen,

Reeba!

If your husband wasn't the outlaw Josy Wales..why I'd!  Angry

Hey look! the Bronzesnake is goofing around again! Christians are not supposed to have fun!  Cheesy

Bronzesnake
felix102

Jesus Christ is Lord!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2005, 02:15:36 AM »

Hey Lisa.

Sister, writing poetry for God is excellent! This is a good thing. Just don't be tempted to conform to the world.

A better question is: CAN Gospel Rap conform to the world?

Yes, very easily as it is structured from worldly music. Once it becomes the world then it is not useful for God's economy. But that doesnt necessarily make it bad. But if that happens then Gospel Rap can no longer be called Gospel Rap but just Rap.

Sister, it is very good that we become like sinners to win over sinners as the apostle Paul speaks of. But when we are with them let us not become like them! Let them become like you! We become weak to win over the weak but do we want to be weak ourselves? What person who is strong would want to become weak? While we are in the world let us not become part of the world. We are God's holy and beloved. We are God's people not the world's! Dont conform to the world.

These are just some things that may be faced with this ministry. Sister, keep doing work in God. And if you give this to God and you thank Him for everything then the work will be exceedingly abundant. I think it would be good if you can write scriptual songs, meaning the lyrics are verses. However the rhyme scheme may be more difficult but it can be done. I know of hundreds of great songs that are scriptual songs. Just translate the verses into 'rap' language so it would fit it's structure. (i dont know if that's possible but just a suggestion  Smiley) Make your music more effective by saturating it with the Word of God. And then it will not just be a song about God but a song sung to God.

"And He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus"(phil 1:6)

Brothers and Sisters, in absolutely ALL things we do...ALL things...let us honor God! Let us not honor this world, ourselves or other men but ONLY God. For all things were made for and through Him. And again, dont be conformed to this world. Why would we when we have someone greater to conform to? Let us conform to God!

Mrs.Chosen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2005, 03:10:46 AM »

Let me tell everyone how much I hate rap music. It makes me soooooooooooo sick. Everything that they say and everything that they stand for. Me in danger of becoming like them, not a chance!!! Been there, done that, too painful, won't go back!!!
Flex you made a comment "Yes, very easily as it is structured from worldly music."
All of my gospel rap is structured from the HOLY BIBLE, not music.
If someone makes a beat out of instruments and that person is a child of GOD, it's not wordly just because it sounds like something you may have heard in the world. Lyrics make a song worldy. What would you call a heavenly beat?
What if you have someone singing Amazing Grace and then I chose to rap it over drums. That does not make it worldy.

And trust me there is no way i'm dressing like them, or walking like them. GOD is in full control of this thing. I don't like what they are talking about, but I'm not going to sit back and just complain!! I'm doing something about it!! They will listen and hear JESUS JESUS!!!!!
Are any of you that don't agree with gospel rap going to come to the hood and go to thses people? Are you gonna talk to them in a way that they will understand???

Well thats what we are doing!!! Wanna check it out?
www.holycultureradio.com

In Christ Jesus Love,

L.Gore
felix102

Jesus Christ is Lord!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2005, 04:40:05 AM »

Let me tell everyone how much I hate rap music. It makes me soooooooooooo sick. Everything that they say and everything that they stand for. Me in danger of becoming like them, not a chance!!! Been there, done that, too painful, won't go back!!!
Flex you made a comment "Yes, very easily as it is structured from worldly music."
All of my gospel rap is structured from the HOLY BIBLE, not music.
If someone makes a beat out of instruments and that person is a child of GOD, it's not wordly just because it sounds like something you may have heard in the world. Lyrics make a song worldy. What would you call a heavenly beat?
What if you have someone singing Amazing Grace and then I chose to rap it over drums. That does not make it worldy.

And trust me there is no way i'm dressing like them, or walking like them. GOD is in full control of this thing. I don't like what they are talking about, but I'm not going to sit back and just complain!! I'm doing something about it!! They will listen and hear JESUS JESUS!!!!!
Are any of you that don't agree with gospel rap going to come to the hood and go to thses people? Are you gonna talk to them in a way that they will understand???

Well thats what we are doing!!! Wanna check it out?
www.holycultureradio.com

Sister, I dont think you read my post carefully.

First I would like to point out...I never said Rap music was bad, just worldly.

Yes, very easily as it is structured from worldly music. Once it becomes the world then it is not useful for God's economy. But that doesnt necessarily make it bad. But if that happens then Gospel Rap can no longer be called Gospel Rap but just Rap.

Gospel Rap is indeed structured by the Structure of Rap...or why else would it be called Gospel RAP? Tell me the reason why you would have even asked "Is Gospel Rap conforming to the World?" if Gospel Rap was not susceptible to conforming to the world in the first place? All music to God is susceptible to become worldly however, things like Christian Metal and Gospel Rap are even more susceptible. That is obvious.

So let's take another look at what I said again.

CAN (not IS) Gospel Rap comform to the world.

YES, it very easily can

As I've said earlier sister, keep doing this work in God. I never said to stop and I never disagreed with you writing Gospel Rap; just warned to not conform to this world. The ministry I am talking about is not just this Gospel Rap but you going out to these people. It is very easy for you to conform to them.

How is that so? Am I saying you are weak? NO. I am saying in this ministry you hope to become like them so that you may win them to Christ. This is right as the Apostle Paul speaks of "becoming weak to win the weak, becoming lawless to win the lawless" and because of this, you will be more susceptible to conforming to them. If you start enjoying what they do and that are not acceptable to God then that is when you will be backsliding. Your words are reaffirming that you are not part of this world but when I talked about conforming to the world this was not just directed to you but to ALL Brothers and Sisters in Christ.

Sister, it is very good that we become like sinners to win over sinners as the apostle Paul speaks of. But when we are with them let us not become like them! Let them become like you! We become weak to win over the weak but do we want to be weak ourselves? What person who is strong would want to become weak? While we are in the world let us not become part of the world. We are God's holy and beloved. We are God's people not the world's! Dont conform to the world.

These are just some things that may be faced with this ministry.

Please note that that last sentence. I was talking about the conformity issue in regards to this ministry not just Gospel Rap alone.

Sister, you didn't notice I was encouraging you?!

"And He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus"(phil 1:6)
 Smiley God be with you.

Maybe you wont misread this one...
SISTER, KEEP UP THIS GOOD WORK!!!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2005, 04:44:21 AM by felix102 » Logged
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2005, 10:07:44 AM »

Mrs. Chosen,

Reeba!

If your husband wasn't the outlaw Josy Wales..why I'd!  Angry

Hey look! the Bronzesnake is goofing around again! Christians are not supposed to have fun!  Cheesy

Bronzesnake

Point!  I was considering making a response to Silver's comment about the guys wearin' their pants down to low, considering I've worn the same size pants for the past 8 years, but have gained a considerable waistline.  Hence, I'm in style and didn't even know it!   Grin  But that would be funnin' and that's just wrong!!!  hehee  Cheesy

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Mrs.Chosen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2005, 12:59:06 PM »

Quote"Sister, I dont think you read my post carefully. "

Thank you but you have to realize I'm not talking directly to you. So only what appies to you is what I say to you.
I am responding to many others post and they have said many things that I've been referring to.
So most of what I typed was in deed not pertainging to you.
Really, I see your points. And I agree with them, trust me.
And it is important to be very prayed up going into this world with the gospel. But GOD has called me to this work and to reach a certain people because I use to be them.
He has equipped me with the Word, my sword and I wear my full armor when I am out. Some people do go out unequipped and you were right inreferece to them slipping.

The whole reason for me opening this topic was to open ones eyes if they might shunn gospel rap all together without knowing GODs mission for it. You are not one of those people.

Amen Kiss

In Christ Jesus Love,

L.Gore
felix102

Jesus Christ is Lord!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2005, 01:17:53 PM »

The whole reason for me opening this topic was to open ones eyes if they might shunn gospel rap all together without knowing GODs mission for it.

I see. I do not know exactly why it would be shunned in the first place but I feel that many people think it's too worldly to be useful for God. As I said earlier...

As those walking in Christ absolutely ALL things we do are for Christ. It doesn't matter if it's gospel Rap, Christian metal, or playing football. If we honor God in all things we do, then it will be from God.

We are constantly give everything to God in prayer and thanking Him for everything. If this is done with genuiness then whatever it is you are doing will be blessed.
Mrs.Chosen

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2005, 01:50:33 PM »

beautifully said felix amen

In Christ Jesus Love,

L.Gore
david87

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2005, 12:51:07 AM »

its a ministry tool it reaches out to youth who listen to that style of music. you think we as teens like twila paris or steven curtis chapman   of course not. Cool
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the