Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 05:36:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286822 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Prophecy - Current Events (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  RELIGION TODAY
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 60 Go Down Print
Author Topic: RELIGION TODAY  (Read 85139 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2008, 02:15:25 AM »

China Pastor, Wife Forced From Home
Baptist Press Staff

July 22, 2008

BEIJING (BP)--A leader among China's unregistered house churches and his wife have been forced from their home and hounded from shelter to shelter by Chinese authorities since July 6, according to the human rights group China Aid Association. The only explanation given by officials for the couple's treatment was that the pastor "met the Americans and destroyed the harmony of the Beijing Olympic Games."

Bike Zhang, chairman of the Federation House Church and his wife Xie Fenglan were forced to leave their home in Beijing's Chaoyang district by officials of the Public Security Bureau, according to a China Aid Association report July 18. When authorities learned the couple had found shelter in the home of a friend, they forced the Zhangs to leave.

A hotel owner in another district allowed the Zhangs to take up extended residence in his facility but on July 14 officials with the security bureau in that city threatened the hotel owner with incarceration if he did not evict the couple. When the Zhangs traveled to another city to find a place to stay, they were stopped en route by police officials and taken to the town's government offices for interrogation, the CAA report said.

Police officers interrogated the couple constantly throughout the night, without food, drink or rest. At 6 a.m., Xie Fenglan collapsed but was not taken to the hospital until 11 a.m., CAA said. After she had recovered enough to travel, the couple was released from custody and went to a hotel, where they again were accosted and forced to leave town. After police prevented several more attempts to find shelter, Zhang took his wife to her sister's home in another province and found lodging for himself at a local hotel. On July 16, police there followed Zhang when he went out to buy medicine for his wife, and she was forced to move out of her sister's home.

At last report, Zhang and his wife were living on the streets, unable to find shelter. When the China Aid Association asked why the couple was being treated in that manner, they were told: "Because Bike Zhang met the Americans and destroyed the harmony of the Beijing Olympic Games."

"This egregious treatment of one of China's most respected and well-loved house church leaders is a shocking and outright violation of basic human rights and rule of law," CAA's Bob Fu said in a statement. "The Chinese government has shown neither remorse nor discretion in violating United Nations and international mandates to grant citizens basic human liberties such as shelter and protection.

"The acts against Pastor Bike Zhang and his wife are unjust and unlawful," the statement continued. "This type of behavior ... is reflective of a dictatorship with no regard for the well-being of its citizens and not a world leader worthy of the honor of hosting the Olympic Games."

Another Chinese Protestant, Shi Weihan, remains in the custody of Beijing Municipal Public Security Bureau on the grounds that he is a "dangerous religious element," the China Aid Association said. Weihan is married with two young daughters, one of whom is an American citizen.

Shi, a Christian publisher, has been held for four months. He was arrested in November 2007 for "illegal business practices" but released in January after authorities determined there was insufficient evidence to support the charge. He was re-arrested March 19 for allegedly printing unauthorized Bibles and Christian literature.

"Despite having held Mr. Shi beyond the time legally allowed, absent formal charges or a court hearing, the PSB still refuses to allow his family or attorney to see him," a CAA spokesman said. "Claiming an ongoing investigation in what they are calling 'a complex case,' they have managed to hold the owner of a legally registered Christian bookstore in an undisclosed location without giving any assurances that he is receiving his needed diabetic medicine."

The China Aid Association "urges the international community and those concerned to voice their objection of these acts to the Chinese government," Fu said.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2008, 02:18:14 AM »

Religion Today Summaries - July 22, 2008
Compiled & Edited by Crosswalk Editorial Staff

Daily briefs of the top news stories impacting Christians around the world.

In today's edition:

* Saddleback Church to Host McCain, Obama
    * Iran: Tortured Christian Flees
    * Dobson Shifts, May Endorse McCain
    * Churches Unite in Mass Vigils for N. Korean Refugees

Saddleback Church to Host McCain, Obama

Sens. John McCain and Barack Obama, respective presumed Republican and Democratic presidential nominees, will end the primary season by making their first joint appearance of the 2008 campaign at Saddleback Church on Saturday, Aug.16 at the Saddleback Civil Forum on Leadership and Compassion, according to a press release by RickWarrenNews.com. "This is a critical time for our nation and the American people deserve to hear both candidates speak from the heart -- without interruption -- in a civil and thoughtful format absent the partisan 'gotcha' questions that typically produce heat instead of light," said Dr. Rick Warren, founding pastor of the California mega church and moderator for the event. Warren will be sole moderator, and has said he will raise questions "beyond what political reporters typically ask," covering topics such as poverty, HIV/AIDS, climate and human rights.

Iran: Tortured Christian Flees

Compass Direct News reports that days after his release from a month of interrogations and severe torture under secret police custody, Iranian Christian Mohsen Namvar has fled across the border into Turkey with his family. Traveling by train, the badly beaten Christian arrived July 2 in eastern Turkey with his wife and son. Namvar, 44, had been held incommunicado by a branch of Sepah (the Iranian Revolutionary Guards) from May 31 until June 26, when authorities told his family they were releasing him "temporarily." Although the secret police demanded $43,000 in bail, officers refused to issue a court receipt for the family's cash payment. At the time of his release, Namvar was experiencing fever, severe back pain, extremely high blood pressure, uncontrollable shaking of his limbs and recurring short-term memory loss. "I have no doubt they wanted to kill me," Namvar told Compass.

Dobson Shifts, May Endorse McCain

Christian conservative leader Dr. James Dobson has reversed his earlier rejection of Republican presumptive nominee John McCain, and may go even further than that, according to the Associated Press. "I never thought I would hear myself saying this," Dobson said in a radio broadcast to air Monday. "... While I am not endorsing Senator John McCain, the possibility is there that I might." The statement was part of a radio broadcast with Albert Mohler, president of Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. Dobson said that while neither candidate is consistent with his views, "Barack Obama contradicts and threatens everything I believe about the institution of the family and what is best for the nation." Dobson also said that McCain's choice of running mate may influence an endorsement.

Churches Unite in Mass Vigils for N. Korean Refugees

The Christian Post reports that 43 Korean Church Coalition churches nationwide held prayer vigils last night for the "voiceless" North Korean refugees in China, joining more than a thousand KCC churches in South Korea that night. These refugees are frequently abused, trafficked or violently repatriated by Chinese authorities, according to reports. "Through these vigils, KCC will speak on and pray on behalf of the voiceless, the North Korean refugees residing in China, who have no voice of their own," said Sam Kim, executive director of KCC. The vigils were part of a campaign to raise awareness during the Beijing Olympics, called "Let My People Go Before 2008 Beijing Olympics." According to KCC president the Rev. Peter I. Sohn, China has refused to grant refugees even the minimal protection offered by international law.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 25, 2008, 12:43:56 PM »

China: 'Anti-Cult' Group Raids Church Member's House
Michael Ireland

July 23, 2008

SHANGDONG PROVINCE, CHINA (ANS) -- Public Security Bureau officials, along with an "anti-cult group," on July 14, 2008 in Jining City, Shandong, investigated Lu Xiaoai, a member of pastor Zhang Zhongxin's church. Pastor Zhang was sentenced to two years reeducation-through-labor on July 4.

China Aid Association (CAA) says the policemen seized Bibles and Christian material from Lu. At the same time, policemen in Rencheng district broke into Brother Li Dali's home and forcibly detained Christian books and a CD-ROM.

According to CAA, police summoned another church member named Li Da, but were unable to obtain information from him due to a medical condition. Officials also investigated church member Lian Dehai. Lian was later taken to the City Public Security Bureau and was placed under criminal detention. Police then raided his home and withheld Christian material and a CD ROM.

China Aid Association urges all brothers and sisters in the Lord, to pray for pastor Zhang, and those associated with him who have been unjustly and unfairly persecuted and detained for their beliefs.

CAA calls on Chinese authorities to immediately stop the persecution of these Christians.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 25, 2008, 12:46:10 PM »

Christian Woman in Eritrean Prison Dies of Malaria
Special to Compass Direct

July 24, 2008

LOS ANGELES -- Imprisoned and tortured for her Christian faith since December, 37-year-old Azib Simon died of malaria in Eritrea's Wi'a Military Training Center last week.

Weakened by ongoing torture, sources said, Simon contracted malaria only a week before she died. Christians in the prison are rarely given medical attention, and the sources said authorities refused to provide treatment for Simon's malaria.

Simon was the sister of former Eritrean television journalist Biniam Simon, who recently fled the country after abandoning his career at government controlled ERI-TV.

Azib Simon had attended the Kale-Hiwet Church in Assab, one of the independent evangelical churches that have been targeted by the country's Marxist-leaning authoritarian regime. She was held at the notorious Wi'a Military Training Center, 20 miles south of the Red Sea port of Massawa, since her arrest in December 2007.

Prisoners at the Wi'a military camp are under constant pressure to recant their faith.

On June 8 Compass learned that eight Christian brothers held at the Adi-Quala prison were taken to the medical emergency facilities as a result of torture by military personnel at the camp.

Simon's death makes a total of five Christians whom Compass has confirmed have died in Eritrean prisons after being tortured for refusing to recant their faith. On September 5, 2007, Eritrean authorities at the Wi'a Military Training Center tortured Nigisti Haile, 33, to death for refusing to recant her faith. On February 15, 2007, Magos Solomon Semere also died under torture at the Adi-Nefase Military Confinement facility outside Assab.

In 2006, two other Christians -- Immanuel Andegergesh, 23, and Kibrom Firemichel, 30 -- died from torture wounds in Eritrea on October 17.

Since 2002 the oppressive regime has outlawed all independent Protestant churches, closing their buildings and banning gatherings in private homes. Worshippers caught disobeying the blanket restrictions are arrested and tortured for weeks, months or even years. They are never allowed legal counsel or brought to trial.

The government only recognizes Islam and Eritrean Orthodox, Catholic and Lutheran Christian denominations as "historical" legal religions. High ranking clergy have been replaced by the government's choice of men, and many believe the clampdown is an attempt of President Isaias Afwerki's government to control church members.

It is estimated that more than 1,000 Christians are imprisoned at any given time. Many of the arrests of Christians take place in groups when the government breaks up local house meetings.

It was not clear how Simon was arrested or where she was at the time of her detention last December.

Under Attack in Assabe

Another round-up of Christians in the port city of Assab took place earlier this month, sources told Compass.

Sources said authorities were singling out Pentecostal believers, among other evangelicals, whom they arrested with the intention of pressuring them to recant their faith.

On July 8 alone, six members of the Kale-Hiwet Church, 11 members of the Full Gospel Church in Assab and 15 members of the Rema Church in Assab were arrested at their homes one by one and imprisoned in the Wi'a military camp. Among them were seven women, one of them a known evangelist of the Kale-Hiwet Church in Eritrea, whose name was withheld for the safety of her family.

One of the arrested women, a member of the Berhane Hiwet Church, was taken to the Adi-Abyto Military Camp and released on bail on July 9. Her bail was 50,000 nakfa, (approximately US$3,400), and authorities warned her not to participate in Christian activities in the future.

Eritrean authorities also arrested nine leaders of a Jehovah's Witnesses group on Wednesday July 16 in Asmara, Compass confirmed.

The nine leaders are held at Mai Serwa Military Camp, known for its harsh torture and conditions. It is believed that the government has intensified hunting of Jehovah's Witnesses' main leaders because it is angry that the group is still organized and active in the country.

Since the Eritrean referendum in 1992, followers of the Jehovah's Witnesses in Eritrea have been under constant attack, succumbing to arrests and torture.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 25, 2008, 12:49:20 PM »

A Cry from Iran: Brothers Honor Father's Martyrdom - Part 1
Michael Ireland

July 25, 2008

SANTA ANA, CA - Two brothers, a murdered father and an untold story of pain and forgiveness are the inspirations behind a six times award-winning documentary on the secret death of a prominent evangelical pastor in Iran, Haik Hovsepian.

The movie is the untold story of Iranian Christian martyrs, and Christian converts, who became the victims of their beliefs and paid the ultimate price -- their lives.

Two brothers from Iran, Joseph and Andre Hovsepian, who made the documentary "A Cry From Iran" about the life and work of their father, recently joined international journalist Dan Wooding as guests on his Front Page radio program on KWAVE 109.9 FM in Santa Ana, California. (The interview will be aired again this Sunday, July 27, 2008, at 5:00 PM Pacific Time. It can also be heard on http://www.kwve.com/.)

Their documentary is the story of Bishop Haik Hovsepian, who was the superintendent of the Assemblies of God and, later in his ministry, the representative of protestant churches in Iran.

Joseph Hovsepian explained: "Living with him for twenty years of course I've had a lot of good memories from him, but thirteen years ago in 1994 because of his faith and all he did for Christians and defending them, he one day disappeared and then we found him stabbed to death because of his faith."

Joseph continued: "After going through all the tragedy and comfort and different stages of forgiving (and) having a background in film industry, the idea of making this documentary started two years after the actual martyrdom. In 1996 we started gathering several documents and all the clips that I had shot when my dad was alive -- and at the time we didn't think that those clips could become so vital and important and the world would see them -- but praise the Lord with the support of the Holy Spirit and family and churches we came a long way, and two years ago with partnership with Open Doors we could officially start producing this documentary fulltime working with my brother on the board, and as a result 'A Cry from Iran' has been born."

On the question of who killed Haik Hovsepian, Joseph replied: "That's a good question. We hope that the audience, after watching the documentary, can judge and know the answer for themselves. We haven't pointed our fingers at any special person or group or government but, as we know, that our main enemy is the devil that works through people and not people themselves. But of course it's been very, very hard, very sad at times. During the editing process our goal was focus, was to see beyond our pain and memories, and see what this film can do for the people in the west who appreciate their freedom and to the people in Iran to see that the martyrs names still go on."

Andre Hovsepian said he was only ten years old when his father was martyred so he didn't have as much memory as Joseph and the rest of the family did.

"But I do definitely have a lot of memories still and a lot of pictures of him in my head because I was ten years old and I lived with him for ten years, but definitely besides memory what I heard about -- his life from other members of the church, from other family members -- really impacted me so much. And of course after making this documentary spending sometimes twelve, thirteen, fourteen hours a day, at times I think I saw more footage from him and clips and pictures than I'd seen in my ten years."

Wooding wanted to know what did Andre learn new about his father from making the movie? "When you started working on this movie 'A Cry' From Iran you must have been amazed that you found out all sort of new things about him," said Wooding.

"Yes, I did actually, and one thing that stood out I would say (was) the amount of passion and the vision that he had, because everything I believe starts from one person's vision and then does something to its community or results and is fruitful, and in the process of making this documentary I saw that vision that my dad had and at the end of course resulted in growing the zeal of Christians in Iran."

Joseph Hovsepian said the documentary is narrated by a well known award winning voice-over who did the Verizon Wireless commercial a few years ago.

He pointed out that when some people think of documentaries they think of boring talk and a program full of talks, whereas a lot of audiences have already said "A Cry From Iran" is a docu-drama.

"We're very glad that this film has not only won awards in the Christian awards but also has gone beyond that and even in the scope of human rights issues and freedom of religion, freedom of choice, has brought a lot of interest in (the situation in Iran), and we're very excited about that."

Joseph said they carried out a series of reenactments, shooting about two-hundred hours footage of his father, so in the last years of his life they had enough coverage. But the first part of his life and in covering the radical parts of country of Iran they had to reestablish (through reenactment), and the brothers had to travel to five countries and also five states in America.

"We have shot over thirty-five interviews and thirty-five hours of reenactment and the result has been fifty-five minutes of packed documentary, plus a lot of behind the scenes (footage)."

"Take us back to the period when there was all this trouble for your father. What led up to it?" Wooding asked.

Joseph responded that sadly the situation hasn't changed that much from that day to the present.

"But going back to 1993, the church at the time had big clashes with government officials and the church had to be closed down and my dad as superintendent of the churches in Iran was the front person in the battle and would always get involved in the situation. But it came to its climax in 1993 when Mehdi Dibaj, who was a Muslim convert and a Christian brother had served ten years in prison and he was to be executed for his faith. The only punishment for his conversion was basically dying for it and paying the price, and my dad stood against that execution order and brought it to the attention of the government officials in Iran and then took a bigger step to the Christian world outside, to the United Nations, and even involving the congress of the US. So as a result of his activities and campaign he was released and this was a big victory for the church of Iran, but soon after he had to pay a bigger price -- and that was his own life."

Wooding asked Andre to "take us the next step: what exactly happened to your dad?"

Andre said: "Basically what happened was that after several threats that we got in different ways, finally one day my dad was on his way to the airport to pick up a friend from church and he disappeared for eleven days. We had no news of him -- I mean you could only imagine how hard it was for us -- and of course I have to mention here that the whole church was very supportive internationally, worldwide. We received many, many support from different believers around the world and that of course helped us a lot to cope with the situation. But after eleven days, unfortunately, we received the call in which they said we need your eldest son (who was Joseph) to come and identify some pictures.

"That was from the morgue officials. Then, I won't get into details, but of course later on we found out that that he was killed and actually he was buried in a Muslim graveyard in which they only bury Muslim people."

Wooding asked Joseph, as the eldest brother, what that was like.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 12:52:54 PM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 25, 2008, 12:51:11 PM »

A Cry from Iran: Brothers Honor Father's Martyrdom - Part 2

"As Andre said as hard as it was and even is right now to talk about it, we have captured all these moments in the documentary and when it gets to this part, the movie kind of slows down. You feel what a martyr's family goes through when such things happen. But for me, I think it was very shocking because it was the climax and very challenging point of my faith for the situation because I had trusted that God would protect his children in any situation, and this was something where we thought always and believed in, but maybe I hadn't seen the other side of the picture. Especially having such a faithful father whose ministry was very fruitful for God it was the last thing that passed my mind that in the morgue I would see the twenty-six times stabbed face of my dad and chest of my dad covered in blood. So I went in with the knowledge that he won't be there and in fact when we went through all the pictures of the albums he was not there but until the last minute before we left they said there's one more picture and we have already buried this man as an unidentified person, and that was my father."

Joseph continued: "I think at the time soon I got into this stage of kind of challenging God, and I was alone with the two police officers -- which were not too comforting either -- so I didn't cry at that time that much and then I walked home to my uncle's house because I didn't know how to share the news with my mother and my brother Andre (at the time was ten years old), and he was the first thing in my mind that in Iran at the time people there are not that many divorces so not having a father is also a very big deal there. And he came to my mind, and I just didn't know how to digest the situation and I think it kind of hit me a few hours after."

Andrew still remembers what he said.

"Yes, I remember exactly," said Andre. "Actually, it's very interesting if you saw the movie End of the Spear. I saw myself in that movie when the guy comes home and his son is upstairs and he just listens -- he puts his ear on the ground -- and listens from another room. That was exactly me in 1994 because I was in my room doing homework and then I heard Joseph coming in and I just ran to him and I saw his eyes, and that was enough for us to know what has happened. And then, of course, we hugged each other -- it was very emotional, very emotional -- but at the same time overall I have to say that I really do believe that if God let something happen for a reason He also takes care of you too. He's not a coward God; He's a very caring God in fact, and that's why He protected us."

Joseph said it was probably God's plan that during those eleven days they were very calm and believed that their father would be alive, maybe somewhere in interrogation, but were expecting him to be coming back.

"After that shock, I think we all went through several stages of (what) my mother calls the University of God, which you never in fact graduate from, you always keep learning. But I think the first stage was the hatred that we had towards the enemies, and it took us a good couple of months to start even thinking about (what had happened)."

Did the brothers want to get revenge somewhere?

"Yes," said Joseph, "I remember even in the very first days my mind was working that 'ok I have to pay them back, they have killed an innocent person.' But as my brother said, the support of the church and all the prayers that were coming from outside in the west and organizations including Open Doors that we are working now with (really helped). I think God really touched us and things went very smoothly and as a result it was a process of forgiveness; it was a process of not only forgiving and interceding and finally praising and being thankful."

The Hovsepian brothers said that one thing that always is alive and never dies is the peaceful spirit of God that works even when your tears are shedding. Something magical happens through the power of prayer.

Wooding asked Andre tell some of the lessons people can learn if they watch their movie "A Cry From Iran"?

Andre replied: "One of them, as you already mentioned, I think it stands out is the appreciation of life no matter what situation you're in, no matter if you have financial problems or someone in your family has a disease or anything like that, after watching this movie the first impact that I think that it leaves on you is that 'wow I have to appreciate my life. I have to appreciate this freedom that I have' and of course I have to make a note that Christians in the west are persecuted too in other ways, which maybe is a whole different topic. But at least it's not physical -- they don't take your life.

"Other feedback that we've gotten from people has been just simply the awareness, because a lot of people watch the news and they think that's all we need to know and that's all that's happening on this earth, in this universe. But after watching this movie, people are really more aware of what is happening in these third world countries."

Wooding wanted to know: "Are there other Christians and Christian leaders in Iran who are suffering like your dad did?"

"Sadly, yes," said Joseph. "And I should say that even in the past two months there were other house group leaders and Christians that were officially executed, and still there are groups that are always taken for interrogation and some have paid a price -- whether they lose their job or their kids can't go to school. But the fact is that what has changed during the past several years after the series of Iranian martyrs are how the Christians handle their faith and how they respond to the persecution. They pray for their enemies, they trust in the Lord more than ever, and my dad being an Armenian was not from a Muslim background, but defending Muslim background believers already left a great impact on them and they all say that if Armenians could give their lives to reach us through the message of the Gospel how much more we are ready to pay that. So they have become much more stronger than ever before."

How difficult is it for a Muslim in Iran to give their lives to Christ?

"Well it is very difficult actually," said Andre." Because of security reasons I think primarily, because once you do give your life to Jesus you're not only making a decision for yourself but also in a way you are somewhat endangering your family members. So I mean it's a whole different world out there than here. So I think as far as that goes it's the security comes in to line, but God leads them to do the right thing."

For both DVD information and screening information you can go to the official website which is www.acryfromiran.com.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 25, 2008, 12:54:48 PM »

Religion Today Summaries - July 23, 2008

In today's edition:

* Christians Offer Hope to China Earthquake Victims
    * Group 'Ordains' Three Women as Priests
    * 'Focus on the Family' Inducted into Radio Hall of Fame
    * Power-Sharing Negotiations Begin with Mugabe

Christians Offer Hope to China Earthquake Victims

The Baptist Press reports that Christian workers who responded to a major earthquake in China are still at work, joining native Christians. In some cases, Christian aid workers were the first to respond to the May 12 quake in Sichuan province. And though the survivors' stories are heartbreaking, native Christians have quietly witnessed to their countrymen. Many of those in the hardest-hit areas have long been resistant to the Gospel, but Christians are reporting an openness and spiritual hunger that have not been seen previously. One worker wrote, "Chinese Christians must simply come, listen to the stories, love the survivors and offer them hope for the future. Some Chinese Christians are opening up their homes to the victims. Others from Beijing, Shanghai and other places around China are coming to give their time, money, love and hope." The 7.9 magnitude quake killed nearly 70,000 people and destroyed 5 million homes.

Group 'Ordains' Three Women as Priests

Three women have been "ordained" as priests in the Catholic church by a group not recognized by the Roman Catholic church at all, according to the Boston Globe. The Catholic church recently reiterated its position that only men may be ordained as priests, and the Archdiocese of Boston, where the ceremony took place Monday, said the women who participated had automatically excommunicated themselves. The ceremony was organized by Roman Catholic Womenpriests, an organization that believes female ordination is valid. After being vested with white chasubles and red stoles, the women presided over a service that included communion.

'Focus on the Family' Inducted into Radio Hall of Fame

The "Focus on the Family" radio program will soon be inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame in the "national active" category, marking "at least 10 years of significant contributions to the industry on the national level." According to the Christian Post, however, multiple gay activists consider the inclusion of Dr. James Dobson, the group's founder, as an "affront" to the gay community due to his stance on homosexual marriage and other issues. The Christian Post reports that the program is heard on more than 1,000 stations across the United States by millions of listeners weekly, the 30-minute program is one of the largest and most respected resources for practical, emotional and spiritual support for families in the world.

Power-Sharing Negotiations Begin with Mugabe

Fox News reports that Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe will enter into power-sharing negotiations with opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai. Meanwhile, European Union diplomats have agreed to tighten sanctions against Mugabe in hopes of encouraging the deal with Tsvangirai. The Zimbabwe crisis has only deepened since elections in April, and state-sponsored violence since then has become widespread. Church officials in Zimbabwe fear the country may fall prey to a Rwanda-like genocide if the situation is not checked.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 25, 2008, 12:56:42 PM »

Religion Today Summaries - July 24, 2008

In today's edition:

* Kazakhstan Weighs New Religion Restrictions
    * Grieved Presbyterians Seek Way Forward
    * PBS Documentary Suggests Exodus Not Real
    * India Christians Forced to Flee

Kazakhstan Weighs New Religion Restrictions

The Baptist Press reports that Kazakhstan, which already places burdens on religious organizations, will substantially increase restrictions on expressions of faith if new legislation becomes law, according to the U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom. The former member of the Soviet bloc already requires religious groups to register with the government. Under current law, unregistered groups have to pay fines and supposedly "non-traditional" religious bodies are prohibited from registering or have their registration applications significantly delayed, the U.S. Commission on International Religious Freedom (USCIRF) reported. The new measure would increase the number of members a religious group must have to register from 10 to 50; prohibit smaller religious bodies from teaching or professing their faith, owning property or renting public buildings; and prohibit gifts from anonymous or foreign donors.

Grieved Presbyterians Seek Way Forward

Christian Post reports that conservative members of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A) are organizing to discuss the governing body's recent decision favoring homosexuality. In June, the General Assembly approved an "authoritative interpretation" of church order that removed a clause stating that marriage is between a man and a woman, among similar measures. The Assembly's actions "have caused a crisis of conscience within the denomination," said Renee Guth, executive director of the New Wineskins Association of Churches, a network of some 200 conservative Presbyterian churches discontent with the PC(USA). About 200 church leaders will attend the New Wineskins meeting in Atlanta on Aug. 6-7 ahead of their annual convention.

PBS Documentary Suggests Exodus Not Real

The Orlando Sentinel reports that a new PBS documentary, titled "The Bible's Buried Secrets," will upset anyone who claims a literal and inerrant interpretation of Scripture. "It challenges the Bible's stories if you want to read them literally, and that will disturb many people," says archaeologist William Dever, who specializes in Israel's history. The program goes on to discuss how the Bible was written by hundreds of authors in sixth century BC, at least five books of it during the Babylonian exile. The program also challenges Abraham, Sarah and their offspring as actual historical figures. Still, says Duke University religion professor Carol Meyers, "it doesn't mean that there's no kernel of truth to it."

India Christians Forced to Flee

In India's West Bengal state, local Christians and missionaries faced death threats for their faith, according to Mission News Network. Fourteen members of a Gospel for Asia church were severely beaten and forced to leave their homes on July 10, after being accused of forcing conversions and bringing an illness on the village. The mob threatened to kill the believers if they remained in the village. Village leader Negesh Rai brought the matter to the attention of local police, which led to calls for his resignation by protesting villagers. On July 16, the believers were removed to a different area for safety.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 25, 2008, 12:58:41 PM »

Religion Today Summaries - July 25, 2008

In today's edition:

* Wristbands Remember Persecuted Chinese Christians
    * Iraqi Refugees Struggling After Leaving Homeland
    * Gay Bishop Dismisses Calls to Resign
    * Enns Leaves Westminster Theological Seminary

Wristbands Remember Persecuted Chinese Christians

Voice of the Martyrs and China Aid Association are encouraging Christians to wear "Pray for China" wristbands as the opening ceremonies approach, according to OneNewsNow. Reports of increased house church raids and imprisonment of Christians have trickled through government lines in a pre-Olympics crackdown. "The Chinese government wants this Olympic season to be a great coming-out party for the nation of China. So they are doing everything they can to keep Christians out of Beijing, especially those who would be inclined to protest or make any kind of public spectacle," VOM Spokesman Todd Nettleton said. "The Chinese government wants to ensure this Olympics goes on right on schedule, without a hitch." Wristbands can be ordered at the VOM and China Aid Association Web sites.

Iraqi Refugees Struggling After Leaving Homeland

Mission News Network reports that of the thousands of Iraqi Christians who have left their country, many are traumatized and struggling to cope without real support. Open Doors USA's Al Janssen said, "More than half of all the Christians have been displaced by the conflict. Certain Muslim extremist groups have taken opportunities to persecute Christians. Sometimes it's to grab their property or to kidnap them. So people have had to flee for their lives." Janssen and his team are trying to provide trauma counseling for these refugees, who are not used to expressing emotion or private thought in their honor culture. Meanwhile, the International Olympic Committee has officially banned Iraqi athletes from competing in Beijing due to the Iraqi government's interference with its National Olympic Committee.

Gay Bishop Dismisses Calls to Resign

Episcopal Bishop Gene Robinson has refused to step down in spite of the Anglican Archbishop of Sudan's calls for his resignation, the Christian Post reports. In a lengthy post on his blog, Robinson wrote that his resignation would not restore unity to the Anglican Communion. "Those calling for my resignation seem to be under the impression that if Gene Robinson went away, that all would go back to being 'like it was,' whatever that was! Does ANYONE think that if I resigned, this issue would go away?!" New Hampshire Bishop Gene Robinson said Wednesday in his blog. The New Hampshire bishop has lived openly with another man for 20 years and had a civil ceremony in June. The Anglican Communion, meanwhile, rejects homosexual practice as incompatible with Scripture. He is in Canterbury as a "friendly reminder" during the Anglican Communion's once-a-decade Lambeth Conference, to which he was not invited.

Enns Leaves Westminster Theological Seminary

Westminster Theological Seminary professor Peter Enns and WTS issued a joint statement Wednesday announcing the end of his time with the seminary, eliminating the need for a dismissal hearing scheduled for Aug. 25, according to Christianity Today. Enns was suspended because of theological issues in his book, "Inspiration and Incarnation," and whether it fell within the bounds of the Westminster Confession of Faith. All WTS faculty must affirm that confession. According to the statement, Enns and the WTS administration both agreed to his leaving. It continued, "The administration wishes to acknowledge the valued role Prof. Enns has played in the life of the institution, and that his teaching and writings fall within the purview of Evangelical thought. The Seminary wishes Prof. Enns well in his future endeavors to serve the Lord."

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 30, 2008, 02:50:22 PM »

Indonesian Pastor Battling Order to Demolish Home
Edi Mujiono

July 28, 2008

JAKARTA -- Officials in Cipayung district, East Jakarta, have ordered Pastor Chris Ambessa of the Protestant Church of Indonesia to dismantle the newly constructed second floor of his home and to cease all religious activity in the area.

Ambessa's lawyer, August Pasaribu, told Compass on Monday (July 21) that he planned to submit a letter to the Cipayung civil engineering department asking it to cancel the July 3 order to dismantle the second floor of the home, since the demand was in breach of local regulations. Authorities' order to cease area religious activity for an indefinite period followed on July 13.

Pasaribu said he also hoped to file a report with the East Jakarta police department regarding an incident on May 21, in which Ambessa's neighbors forced him to sign a document agreeing to cease religious activity.

Ambessa, however, is still weighing the likely consequences of legal action for his family and congregation.

The pastor's home in Pondok Rangon village has functioned as a legally recognized house church for the past 12 years.

On June 6, authorities sent a letter ordering him to cease work on the second-floor extension. Construction, however, had already been completed on May 17.

When church services continued, approximately 20 young men led by a local resident approached the Cipayung district offices on June 25, demanding that Ambessa's house be demolished.

On May 21, a similar neighborhood group had threatened Ambessa and forced him to sign a document stating that he would cease holding church services in his home. Ambessa told Compass that he had signed the document under duress, fearing attacks on his wife and daughters.

Having established his small congregation in 1996 with the requisite permission from neighbors and civic authorities, Ambessa said he was determined to protect the right of his church members to worship freely.

A Positive Influence

The pastor began his ministry in the village in February 1995, working with young men in the village who were drinking at night and disturbing local residents.

By April 1996, the young men had given up drinking and were attending church services. The neighborhood Public Order official, a volunteer with a wide range of responsibilities from overseeing garbage collection to resolving community disputes, made a point of thanking Ambessa for his positive influence in the community.

In May 1996, local Public Order officials and the head of Cipayung district gave Ambessa permission to hold services in his rented home. Ambessa also sought and received permission from 70 neighbors to establish a house of worship, meeting the requirements of a 1969 Joint Ministerial Decree (SKB) regulating places of worship.

After purchasing the house in 2002, Ambessa decided to extend the building to cater to his growing congregation.

Officials in Cipayung, however, had created a new regulation requiring churches to apply for a special religious building permit (Ijin Mendirikan Bangunan or IMB), considerably more expensive than an ordinary building permit. Realizing the prohibitive cost and the difficulty of obtaining such a permit, and on the grounds that the building was a residential home, Ambessa decided to proceed with the extension without applying for a religious IMB.

As one Compass source noted, enforcement of building regulations is notoriously inconsistent in Indonesia. Many private homes are built or extended without building permits, and mosques are often built or extended without a religious IMB -- but the law is applied more stringently to churches.

Confusion Over New Regulation

Neighbors objected to the extension based on a revision of the 1969 SKB that came into effect on March 21, 2006, officially known as Perber 60/90. Issued by the Minister of Home Affairs and the Minister of Religious Affairs, the decree spelled out conditions for the construction of new churches as opposed to existing churches.

Under the revised decree, new churches must be clearly identified as such, with a cross on the roof and a design "appropriate to a place of worship." At least 60 immediate neighbors must approve the construction project, along with Public Order officials, the head of the village and district, and the "local community harmony forum" (Forum Kerukunan Umat Beragama), consisting of a panel of residents from different faiths.

In addition, the church must have at least 90 adult members.

The decree applied only to new church construction projects and therefore not to Ambessa's home-based congregation, in existence since 1996. Neighbors, however, were confused about the new regulation and demanded that it be applied to Ambessa's church.

On July 13, a contingent of local officials -- including a senior police officer, the head of Pondok Rangon village and the head of Cipayung district -- arrived at Ambessa's home and asked him to cease all religious activity for an indefinite period to alleviate rising tensions.

Ambessa complied on July 15, calling a halt to church services. He then obtained a lawyer, Pasaribu, to defend both his home and his congregation's freedom to worship as outlined in Article 29(b) of Indonesia's constitution, which says, "The state guarantees the freedom of every citizen to hold his/her own religion and to worship according to his/her religion or faith."

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 30, 2008, 02:51:55 PM »

Croatia Bans Sunday Shopping
Dan Wooding

July 28, 2008

ZAGREB (ANS) - The parliament of the predominantly Catholic country of Croatia is urging its citizens to reclaim Sunday as a day for celebrating the Eucharist, for family, and for rest.

This was revealed in a story by Thaddeus M. Baklinski and posted on http://www.lifesitenews.com/

Writing on July 16, Baklinski said, "The Croatian parliament passed a law yesterday requiring most businesses to close on Sundays. The law does, however, allow Sunday shopping during the summer tourist season and Christmas holidays.

"The new law also allows stores in hospitals as well as those in gas, bus and train stations to open on Sundays year-round. Bakeries, newsstands and flower shops are also exempt from the ban."

He went on to say, "Most post-communist countries, including Croatia, have experienced problems transitioning from the oppression of Marxist ideology, which proclaimed there is no God and therefore no need for any day for religious observance or rest, to a free market economy with a fascination with and craving for all things Western.

"Croatia, however, is now in a more stable political and economic situation where its people can reaffirm their centuries-old traditions of family and faith and experience a Renaissance of their culture. The banning of Sunday shopping is a significant step in that direction.

"The benefits of not making Sunday just an extension of Saturday have been well documented."

For instance, he added, a report entitled "The Church vs. the Mall: What Happens When Religion Faces Increased Secular Competition?" that was published by the National Bureau of Economic Research in 2006, indicated that approval of Sunday shopping triggered an increase in drug and alcohol use among otherwise faithful churchgoers. (http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2006/sep/06091506.html)

Baklinski said that Catholic Bishop Thomas Olmsted of Phoenix, Arizona, observed in 2005 that "the world has suffered with the loss of the religious observance of Sunday as a day of rest," and reflected that the day which used to be reserved for religious and family togetherness, has turned into "an extension of Saturday," filled with errands invariably including shopping.

Bishop Olmsted said, "Keep the Lord's day holy...refrain from all shopping and enjoy Sunday as a day of rest, a day of leisure, a day for family, a day for celebrating the Eucharist." (Phoenix Bishop says "No Sunday Shopping" - A Wedge Issue in the Culture Wars: http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2005/jul/05071803.html)

He concluded by saying that Dr. Michael Schluter, Director of Keep Sunday Special, a UK lobby group dedicated to promoting a ban on Sunday shopping in Britain, said, "People are crying out for a break and a release from the pressure of working each day of the week, they want family time back, they want their Sunday back and are simply not interested in any more shopping.

"We've had thirteen years of Sunday trading and yet still two thirds of people say Sunday should be a different day to the rest of the week, and almost a third (31%) of people say that they never shop in large shops or supermarkets at all on Sundays. Sunday has been stolen from people and they want to get it back - above all they want a break."

"Think too about the potential environmental benefits through saving energy and fewer journeys if large shops were shut," Dr. Schluter said.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 30, 2008, 02:53:29 PM »

Lambeth Bishops March against Poverty
Michael Ireland

July 30, 2008

LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM (ANS) -- More than 600 bishops and their spouses took time out from the Lambeth Conference, the conference of Anglican bishops taking place at the University of Kent near Canterbury, England, joining in a walk of witness against poverty in London on Thursday, July 24.

The walk took the bishops past the Houses of Parliament and 10 Downing Street, the British Prime Minister's London residence, before concluding at the Archbishop of Canterbury's official residence, Lambeth Palace, where they were joined by the British Prime Minister Gordon Brown.

The Prime Minister praised the march as "the greatest public demonstration of faith" to ever take place in the UK and reaffirmed his desire to work with people of faith in eradicating poverty.

"You have sent a simple and a very clear message with rising force, that poverty can be eradicated, that poverty must be eradicated and if we can all work together for change poverty will be eradicated," he said.

The Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr. Rowan Williams, meanwhile paid tribute the Micah Challenge movement of Christians around the world that are putting pressure on their governments to do everything they can to meet the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs), agreed upon by world leaders in 2000 with the aim of halving extreme global poverty by 2015.

He said, "What does the Lord require of you? To do justly, love mercy, to walk humbly with your God," quoting the verse at the heart of the Micah Challenge movement, Micah 6.8. "That is the challenge we seek to confront today."

The International Director of the World Evangelical Alliance, Dr Geoff Tunnicliffe was among those joined the bishops on their walk of witness. He later joined the Archbishop and other faith leaders in a lunch reception with Mr Brown, before meeting the Queen at a reception at Buckingham Palace.

In a conversation with Mr Brown, Dr Tunnicliffe thanked him for his commitment to eradicating poverty through deepening government's partnership with the Christian community. He further urged the Prime Minister to use his influence on other world leaders to make the same commitment to greater collaboration.

The Walk of Witness was a joint initiative of Lambeth Palace and Micah Challenge. Micah Challenge is a joint project of World Evangelical Alliance and Micah Network.

World Evangelical Alliance (WEA) is made up of 128 national evangelical alliances located in 7 regions and 104 associate member organizations. The vision of WEA is to extend the Kingdom of God by making disciples of all nations and by Christ-centered transformation within society. WEA exists to foster Christian unity, to provide an identity, voice and platform for the 420 million evangelical Christians worldwide.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 30, 2008, 02:56:06 PM »

Religion Today Summaries - July 28, 2008

In today's edition:

* Athletes to Get Christian-Atheist Book at Beijing Olympics
    * Oldest New Testament Goes Virtual
    * Four TV Ministries Won't Comply with Probe
    * Greg Laurie's Son Killed in Car Crash

Athletes to Get Christian-Atheist Book at Beijing Olympics

The Christian Post reports that publishers are providing 30,000 New Testaments and 10,000 complete Bibles for athletes at the Olympics, but that's not all. American evangelist Luis Palau has been given permission to distribute copies of his book, A Friendly Dialogue Between an Atheist and a Christian, to athletes in Beijing. The book records a conversation between atheist Chinese diplomat Zhao Qizheng, a high-ranking Chinese government official, and Palau. The book offers a summary of Christian beliefs and philosophy of religion from the perspective of Chinese culture. Government approval for this book contrasts reports of crackdown on Christians, pastors and house churches.

Oldest New Testament Goes Virtual

The UK-based Times Online reports that the oldest known complete copy of the New Testament will be available in full text online by next July. The Book of Psalms and the Gospel of Mark were made available online last week. The Codex Sinaiticus Bible, written in 4th-century Greek, is currently divided between four countries - Britain, Russia, Egypt and Germany - who all claim a right to the document. In the past, anyone wishing to examine the document first hand would have had to approach the British Library "on bended knee", said Christopher Tuckett, a professor of New Testament studies at Oxford University. "To have it available just at the click of a button is fantastic. You could do in two seconds what would take hours and hours of flicking through the leaves," he said.

Greg Laurie's Son Killed in Car Crash

ASSIST News Service reports that Christopher David Laurie, the 33-year-old first-born son of well-know evangelist Greg Laurie, died in an auto accident in Riverside County, California, on Thursday. The accident occurred at around 9:00 AM on the Riverside Freeway, near Serfas Club Drive in Corona after his vehicle car slammed into the back of a Caltrans truck in the carpool lane on the eastbound Riverside (91) Freeway in Corona, California. No one else was injured. Laurie of Huntington Beach, served as the art director at Harvest Christian Fellowship in Riverside, sponsor of the Harvest Crusade, for the last three years .Greg Laurie is senior pastor of the Riverside megachurch and is well-known for his dynamic preaching. His sermons are telecast across America and around the world.

Four TV Ministries Won't Comply with Probe

Four television ministries still have refused to comply fully with a U.S. Senate committee's probe into their financial records nearly nine months after first being asked, according to the Baptist Press. The ministries of Kenneth Copeland, Creflo Dollar, Eddie Long and Randy and Paula White have provided only partial information or none at all, said Sen. Charles Grassley, R.-Iowa, who initiated the investigation by requesting information from six televangelists in early November. The ministries of Benny Hinn and Joyce Meyer, however, gave "extensive answers to all questions," Grassley said. Grassley's questions of the televangelists were based on accounts of abuses from watchdog organizations and whistleblowers, as well as investigative news reports, he has said. "Religious conservatives, like ourselves, believe this to be an unfortunate development, but if donors do not insist on even greater levels of ministry cooperation with donor advocate , unneeded government regulation is sure to follow," Rusty Leonard of MinistryWatch.com said in a written statement.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 30, 2008, 02:58:09 PM »

Religion Today Summaries - July 29, 2008

In today's edition:

* Man Opens Fire in Church, Kills 2
    * Indonesia: Militants Reportedly Killed Christian, Planned More
    * Baylor University Fires School President
    * Steven Curtis Chapman Returns to Stage

Man Opens Fire in Church, Kills 2

The children's musical at Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church was cut short Sunday morning when a gunman burst into the church and started firing, killing two people and injuring seven. Congregants subdued the gunman before any children were harmed. Police have identified the suspect as Jim D. Adkisson, 58. Adkisson reportedly shouted "hateful words," church member Barbara Kempber told the Associated Press, before opening fire with his shotgun. Investigators say that Adkisson is not believed to have been a member of the Knoxville church, according to CNN. They are still searching for a motive, Knoxville Police Chief Sterling Owen told CNN.

Indonesia: Militants Reportedly Killed Christian, Planned More

The Christian Post reports that Indonesian terror suspects accused of executing a teacher and planning the assassination of an American language teacher have been arrested, according to top anti-terrorism officials. The militants allegedly killed Dago Simamora, 59 in front of his children last year, their lawyer confirmed. The militants have also confessed to planning an attack on the Supreme Court as retaliation for the 2002 nightclub bombings on Bali island, and have connections with al-Qaeda in Afghanistan. Indonesia has been rattled by suicide bombers and a resilient militant Islamic network since 2001. Police have arrested more than 400 suspects in recent years.

Baylor University Fires School President

Baylor University, the world's largest Baptist University, finds itself in need of a president for the second time in three years, according to the Christian Post. The school's board of regents fired John M. Lilly on Thursday, citing only a lack of "confidence in John's ability to unite various Baylor constituencies." In a statement Thursday, Lilley said he joined Baylor in 2005 to help the school heal after President Robert Sloan stepped down, who had been blamed for rising tuition costs and divisions among faculty, but quickly saw the regents as a primarily cause of division. The board acknowledged Lilley's successes, but stood by its decision. 

Steven Curtis Chapman Returns to Stage

The Chicago Daily Herald reports that singer Steven Curtis Chapman returned to tour for the first time since his daughter was killed in May, sharing his story of faith with crowds. Chicago is only his sixth concert since 5-year-old Maria was killed when her brother accidentally struck her with the family SUV. "Thank you so much for your prayers and your support. It's the reason my family is more than surviving, but sure how faithful and true our Redeemer is," Chapman told the crowd. Before singing "Blessed Be Your Name," he added, "I have to say this, as I sang this song, though it wasn't a song, it was a cry, a scream, a prayer," Chapman said. Ultimately, he said, that helped remind him of "an amazing comfort and peace that surpasses all understanding."

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 30, 2008, 03:00:22 PM »

Religion Today Summaries - July 30, 2008

In today's edition:

* Man Admits Church Shooting, Says Liberals Should Die
    * Anti-Christian Violence Up in Pre-Election India
    * Moscow, Kiev Both Claim Victory in Church Dispute
    * Hurricane Relief Afoot in Rio Grande Valley

Man Admits Church Shooting, Says Liberals Should Die

CNN reports that the man accused of storming a Unitarian church in Knoxville told police that the church's liberal teachings incited the rampage which killed two and injured seven. J. David Adkisson reportedly blamed liberals and Democrats for the country's decline, and, "Because he could not get to the leaders of the liberal movement ... he would then target those that had voted them into office," according to the affidavit. A letter found in his vehicle also pointed to frustration at his unemployment as a motive. Linda Kraeger, 61, and Greg McKendry, 60, were killed in the shooting Sunday, police said. The Associated Press reports that three others who were shot are in serious condition and a fourth is stable.

Anti-Christian Violence Up in Pre-Election India

Compass Direct News reports that as elections approach in Madhya Pradesh state, Christian leaders say their community is increasingly targeted as part of an effort by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) to consolidate Hindu nationalist (Hindutva) votes. "This year alone, since January we have recorded 35 major incidents of atrocities against the Christian community," Father Anand Muttungal, spokesman for the Catholic Bishops' Conference of Madhya Pradesh, told Compass. With elections scheduled for December, the Hindu extremist BJP already has begun saber-rattling against the Christian community. Indira Iyengar, a former member of the Madhya Pradesh State Minority Commission, noted that at election time the BJP tends to divide voters along religious lines and physically attack minorities. "[They] will do so even more and would like to show Hindus that they are the only saviors of Hinduism," she said, "and that if they do not protect the Hindus, they will all become Christians or Muslims."

Moscow, Kiev Both Claim Victory in Ukraine Church Dispute

International Herald Tribune reports that leaders in Moscow and Kiev are both claiming the spiritual leader of the Orthodox church is on their side after a weekend meeting with him. Ukrainian President Viktor Yushchenko is working to create an independent Ukrainian Orthodox church in accord with his campaign to shake Ukraine's history of Russian influence. "I am glad that the Patriarch is backing the aspiration of the Ukrainian people to have its own national local church," Yushchenko said in a statement. "Such aspirations are in line to all the principles of a national, state and of course church life." Meanwhile, Mikhail Prokopenko, a spokesman for the Moscow-based Russian church, disputed Yushchenko's claim, saying that Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I of Constantinople affirmed Moscow's leadership over the Ukrainian church, and that Bartholomew will not recognize a schism. Bartholomew's office declined immediate comment.

Hurricane Relief Afoot in Rio Grande Valley

Baptist Press reports that disaster relief volunteers from the Southern Baptists of Texas Convention are providing meals and assisting in cleanup in the Rio Grande Valley after Hurricane Dolly hit the far south Texas coast July 23. "Hurricane Dolly brought torrential rains and devastating winds to the area," Jim Richardson, SBTC disaster relief director, wrote in an e-mail. "Many of the families in Matamoros have been affected." Volunteers are cooking 10,000 meals a day for the Salvation Army canteens in McAllen, Richardson said. Churches from the Gulf Coast westward toward McAllen assessed damage from the storm to their buildings and communities the day after the storm. The 200,000 people without electricity July 24 had dropped to about 125,000 by the weekend, according to news reports. According to Moreno, the area's greatest needs are chainsaws and blue tarps to cover damaged buildings.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 60 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the