Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 11:57:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286826 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  What is God Teaching Us in Times of Trouble?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is God Teaching Us in Times of Trouble?  (Read 1024 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2006, 09:55:58 PM »

Have you ever asked yourself this question, "Why has God allowed this to happen to me?"  Some people might think that God is punishing them.  Some might think that God doesn't care, which leaves them feeling hopeless and confused.  Many people feel that it is unfair of God to allow them to go through such things and they respond by hardening their hearts, shutting down their feelings and "gutting" things out.

We, here in America, compared to most of the world, have a pretty comfortable life, so when trials come our way we are surprised.  Why are we surprised?  Jesus warned us that we would have times of trouble.  In John 16:33 Jesus said, "In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart!  I have overcome the world."

Trials and tribulations will come; that's a fact.  What makes things different then, for the Christian?  We have the privilege of see things from a different perspective.  We no longer look at life's difficulties from a worldly point of view.  We see that there is a greater purpose in every hardship that God allows to happen.

If everything always went well, not many of us would see our need for a relationship with God.  It is through trials that we see our need for God and our faith grows as we draw closer to him.  I think Paul understood this truth when he shared with the Corinthian Church about the hardships he and his companions had endured in Asia.  If anyone had reason to complain this brother did and yet his heart was so different.  He saw the purpose in hardships.

"We do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about the hardships we suffered in the province of Asia. We were under great pressure, far beyond our ability to endure, so that we despaired even of life.  Indeed, in our hearts we felt the sentence of death. But this happened that we might not rely on ourselves but on God, who raises the dead. He has delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope that he will continue to deliver us"  (2 Corinthians 1: 8-10).

Isn't that incredible!  Paul really understood the "big picture."  God wants us to rely on him and not on ourselves.  When God looks at our situation, he doesn't see insurmountable obstacles.  He sees an opportunity to work in our lives and build our faith.  It is an opportunity for us to experience God's power, his love, his faithfulness and his comfort.

If we put our trust fully in God during hard times then we will become mature in our faith.  James 1:1-4 says, "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.  Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."

It may seem strange to think that we can find joy through our struggles, but it is possible, when we let our problems bring us closer to God.  It's upside-down thinking from what we have learned in the world.  Change the way you look at your struggles.  See things from God's vantage point.  It's a higher way of thinking.  Max Lucado put it very succinctly when he said, "God never promises to remove us from our struggles. He does promise, however, to change the way we look at them."

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 11:23:53 PM »

A big AMEN! I've said the same all along and usually get in *trouble* for it!  Wink

"We all hurt today, folks, but we are asking the wrong questions.
We are asking, "Why, why, why?"
Don't ask why, ask what!
'What can I become because of the situation? How can I glorify God?'"
~David Ring

And in case folks aren't familiar with Mr. Ring:

David Ring's Biography:
Few individuals have felt the crushing blows that have besieged David Ring since birth. He was born to lose. On October 28, 1953, in Jonesboro, Arkansas, David was born with cerebral palsy. Orphaned at age 14, he was cast about from family to family, with no where to call home. He endured constant physical pain, humiliating public ridicule and constant discouragement. Yet in the face of these seemingly insurmountable obstacles, David emerged not victimized...but victorious! Life was worse than hopeless to him until his relationship began with Jesus Christ who taught him self-respect and an acceptance of his physical challenges. To most, physical challenges of this magnitude would prove to be a tombstone. For David Ring, his coming of age was and remains a milestone.

You've never heard a speaker quite like David Ring. Although difficult to understand at first, you will soon find yourself captured by his quick wit and warm personality. Whether giving a motivational message at a sales convention, or inspiring church leaders, David always focuses on an individual's need to conquer the personal challenges and adversities of life. As you hear David Ring, you will laugh...and cry. You will be amazed at his triumph over odds. You will be moved to consider your own life. As one who has not been stifled by his physical limitations, he clearly states his challenge to everyone, "I have Cerebral Palsy - what's your problem?"

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2006, 09:36:35 AM »

Amen Sister, I like this statement ....

"I have Cerebral Palsy - what's your problem?"

It says it all, because we all have our problems, it's just that many do not realise what their "problem" might be. It is not always a noticeable physical problem .....

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 11:15:31 AM »

Amen!  What's more, is that we tend to overlook this very basic principle taught here, that we so readily accept elsewhere in scripture:

Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.  And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.  And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. And those whom he predestined he also called, and those whom he called he also justified, and those whom he justified he also glorified.

Romans 8:26-30

This passage isn't about everything working out good for the believer, nor is it about Calvinistic theology.  I like how our Pastor related taking this passage in either way.  Doing so, is like catching a great pass on the football field, but running it into the wrong endzone.  The good that all things work for those called is the conforming work of the Holy Spirit in their lives towards Christlikeness.  And God will take every aspect of our lives, both of our choosing and His working, and use them to make us more like Christ. "All things work together for good."  We ask God to change us.  Sometimes that hurts.  But it all works together for our good and His glory and according to His Sovereign plan.   Smiley

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2006, 04:11:05 PM »

Amen!  What's more, is that we tend to overlook this very basic principle taught here, that we so readily accept elsewhere in scripture:

This passage isn't about everything working out good for the believer.  I like how our Pastor related taking this passage in either way.  Doing so, is like catching a great pass on the football field, but running it into the wrong endzone.  The good that all things work for those called is the conforming work of the Holy Spirit in their lives towards Christlikeness.  And God will take every aspect of our lives, both of our choosing and His working, and use them to make us more like Christ. "All things work together for good."  We ask God to change us.  Sometimes that hurts.  But it all works together for our good and His glory and according to His Sovereign plan.   Smiley
This what I wanted to say, but I couldn't find the words to express myself. Thanks Allinall.

Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2006, 11:35:33 AM »

This what I wanted to say, but I couldn't find the words to express myself. Thanks Allinall.

God said it.  I just summed up.   Smiley

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 07:10:41 AM »

Pastor Roger,
If you ever get a chance to hear this man speak, GO! You will laugh and cry but you will not be unmoved! His testimony for the Lord and of the Lord is so amazing! I gush about it only because he covers so well the problems with *churches* today! And that line you referenced is the gist of it! No matter what tough times you are having, no matter how bad things seem, your perspective will be changed and you'll leave realizing that you don't *really* have any problems! God is amazing!

Allinall,
Well said!
God didn't promise us roses with no thorns! But He did promise to be with us and stay to guide us through! The trouble-free times don't come till we get to Heaven!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the