Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 15, 2024, 07:56:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286825 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  What is the origin of the Apostle's Creed?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is the origin of the Apostle's Creed?  (Read 2528 times)
M

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: February 09, 2005, 05:02:53 PM »

What is the origin of the Apostle's Creed?   I sure many can find the scriptures that support it, but does anyone know who wrote it and when it can into common usuage?
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 05:16:01 PM »

What is the origin of the Apostle's Creed?   I sure many can find the scriptures that support it, but does anyone know who wrote it and when it can into common usuage?

http://www.lffmtc.org/article.asp?article=14

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01629a.htm

M

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 11:12:00 AM »

Thank you.  The first website, I can't find any article about the Apostle's Creed.

The second web link is just what I wanted.

Now I have another question.  
There is two versions and one says in verse 5 that Jesus descended into Hell.  Someone told me that Jesus had to go through hell to get to heaven and also to preach to sinners that had died before His death.  I can't find the scripture reference.  

(1) I believe in God the Father Almighty; (1) I believe in God the Father Almighty Creator of Heaven and earth
(2) And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord; (2) And in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord;
(3) Who was born of (de) the Holy Ghost and of (ex) the Virgin Mary; (3) Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary,
(4) Crucified under Pontius Pilate and buried; (4) Suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried;
(5) The third day He rose again from the dead, (5) He descended into hell; the third day He rose again from the dead;
(6) He ascended into Heaven, (6) He ascended into Heaven, sitteth at the right hand of God the Father Almighty;
(7) Sitteth at the right hand of the Father, (7) From thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
(Cool Whence He shall come to judge the living and the dead. (Cool I believe in the Holy Ghost,
(9) And in the Holy Ghost, (9) The Holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints
(10) The Holy Church, (10) The forgiveness of sins,
(11) The forgiveness of sins; (11) The resurrection of the body, and
(12) The resurrection of the body. (12) life everlasting.
Jemidon2004

Just a sinner granted unmerited marvelous grace...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 03:34:38 PM »

I believe Ephesians 2 or 4 gives us the idea that He descended and led captivity captive. The words used here give the idea that He descended somewhere, and the captives were the OT saints that could not enter into heaven due to their unclean bodies. They hadn't been purified with the Blood of Jesus so thus they could not enter into heaven. I gotta run and pick up my dad, but i'll try to finish this post up tonight with the Scriptural references. God Bless

Joshua

"Man is never sufficiently touched and affected by the awareness of his lowly state until he has compared himself with God's majesty" - John Calvin
M

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 04:06:44 PM »

Thank you.

Ephesians 4:7-10
"But to each one of us grace has been given as Christ apportioned it.  This is why it says:

'When he ascended on high, he lead captives in his train and gave gifts to men.'

(What does "he ascended" mean except that he also decended to the lower, earthly regions?  He who descended is the very one who ascended higher than all the heavens, in order to fill the whole universe.)  

My bible notes say that verse 8 related to Psalm 68:18 and refers to Jesus taking his throne.  Then the notes say the descending part is about Jesus coming to earth in His Incarnation and not going to into hell.

I need to understand something and I don't know if this is the verse I am looking for.
How could righteous Jews (or other people) who obeyed God's commandments and lived and died before Jesus's resurrection be saved?  

I have heard many theories on this subject but I want to know the scriptural truth if possible.
MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 07:10:47 PM »

M wrote:
I need to understand something and I don't know if this is the verse I am looking for.
How could righteous Jews (or other people) who obeyed God's commandments and lived and died before Jesus's resurrection be saved?  

I have heard many theories on this subject but I want to know the scriptural truth if possible.

Nana:
Salvation for OT people was the same as for NT ones.  It was belief/faith in Messiah.  Obedience to God's commandments did not render one righteous then, nor does it today.

Hebrews 11 [read the whole chapter  Wink]
1 ¶ Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
2 For by it the elders [OT believers] obtained a good report.
6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him , for he who comes to God must believe that He is and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
8 By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out into a place which he was afterward going to receive for an inheritance. And he went out, not knowing where he went.
9 By faith he lived in the land of promise as a stranger, dwelling in tents with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs of the same promise with him.
10 For he looked for a city which has foundations, whose builder and maker is God.
13 These all died by way of faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off. And they were persuaded of them and embraced them and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.
14 For they who say such things declare plainly that they seek a fatherland.
15 And truly, if they had been mindful of that country from which they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned.
16 But now they stretch forth to a better fatherland , that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for He has prepared a city for them.
39 And these all, having obtained a good report through faith, did not receive the promise,
40 for God had provided some better thing for us, that they should not be made perfect without us.

The verse you are looking for is this one:

1 Peter 3:18 ¶ For Christ also once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, indeed being put to death in the flesh, but made alive in the Spirit;
19 in which also He went and preached to the spirits in prison,
20 to disobeying ones, when once the long-suffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was being prepared (in which a few, that is, eight souls were saved through water);
21 ¶ which figure now also saves us, baptism; not a putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God, by the resurrection of Jesus Christ;
22 who is at the right hand of God, having gone into Heaven, where the angels and authorities and powers are being subjected to Him.

In my opinion  Grin this passage is not referring to Jesus preaching to those who were dead back in the days of Noah.  Once you are dead, there is no opportunity for salvation.  Faith in Jesus is a living faith while you are alive.  I believe "those in prison" is a reference to those who are dead in sin - before salvation.  

The comparison is to Noah and how they were "baptized" in water - the flood - and saved.  So too, when we accept Jesus as Messiah, we are baptized into Him for He is the Living Water or "baptism"

Eph 4:4 There is one body and one Spirit, even as you are called in one hope of your calling,
5 one Lord, one faith, one baptism,
6 one God and Father of all, who is above all and through all and in you all.

I also do not believe that Jesus descended into hell after He died.  He uttered "It is finished" and then committed His Spirit to His Father in Heaven.  His human body was dead, but Jesus/His Spirit never died, therefore He could not be in hell.   He raised Himself from the dead.  To say that He went to hell, is to contridict His Word.

John 2:18 Then the Jews answered and said to Him, What sign do you show us, since you do these things?
19 Jesus answered and said to them, Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up.
20 Then the Jews said, This temple was forty-six years building, and will you rear it up in three days?
21 But He spoke of the temple of His body.
22 Therefore when He had risen from the dead, His disciples remembered that He had said this to them, and they believed the Scripture and the word which Jesus had said.

John 10:15 Even as the Father knows Me, I also know the Father. And I lay down My life for the sheep.
16 And I have other sheep who are not of this fold. I must also lead those, and they shall hear My voice, and there shall be one flock, one Shepherd.
17 Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life so that I might take it again.
18 No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down from Myself. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it again. I have received this commandment from My Father.

Col 2:13 ¶ And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses,
14 blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and has taken it out of the way, nailing it to the cross.
15 Having stripped rulers and authorities, He made a show of them publicly, triumphing over them in it.

One other note, and I think there is some confusion on this.  The Church, according to Acts [Steven's speech just before he was martyred] began at Mt Sinai when God gave the Mosaic Law.  Those who believed in the promised Messiah were considered righteous/believers even then [Heb 11].

When Jesus said to Peter that on "this Rock I will build My church"  He was referring to the reality that His Messiahship was, is, and always will be the foundation of the church.  He did not build His church on Peter.  If you do a word study, Peter's name is not the same word used for  "upon this Rock".

It is true that the church changed its function - Old covenant was to follow the Mosaic Law which was "proof" of "salvation".  Once Jesus came as the New Covenant - His shed blood - the Law was changed to the Law of Messiah - "a new commandment I give to you, that you love one another as I have loved you".  And as Paul and James both said - the Law is fulfilled in love.  Now the body of Messiah/the true church is neither Jew nor Greek, male nor female, slave nor free.

Shalom, Nana

« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 07:13:15 PM by MalkyEL » Logged

Be mindful of the prisoners, as having been bound with them; of those ill-treated, as also being in the body yourselves.  Hebrews 13:3
Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2005, 06:53:36 PM »

I don't know if this will help, but I'll try.

Begin with the Jewish OT understanding of "sheol", which is the "place of the departed". Although sometimes referred to as hades (greek), gehinna (NT), the grave, it simply refers generically to the "abode of the dead".

In the OT, Jews understood that there were two sections to this abode, one "upper" and one "lower".  Those who were unrighteous went to the lower section, and from this section there was no escape.  Ref. the parable by Jesus of the rich man and the beggar lazarus.

The upper section was sometimes referred to as paradise, or Abraham's bosom, and was the resting place for the departed righteous.  This was NOT heaven.

When Jesus "descended", He did not go into the lower section, and preach to those who already stood condemned as unrighteous (it is appointed ONCE to man to die, THEN the judgment). He went into the section called Paradise (He said unto the thief, this day thou shalt be with me in paradise).

There He "preached" or presented Himself and His sacrifice to the OT "saints" who were there, and led them FROM there to heaven, where they now reside.

The current preaching that Jesus HAD to descend into hell and be tormented, and preached to those there is unscriptural.

I'm in a little hurry, but that's an upshot. If you would like, I can expand on it further at a later time.

BroHank
John 8:12 Ministries  www.john812.com
The Beymers  www.thebeymers.org
MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2005, 09:09:27 PM »

Evangelist wrote:
When Jesus "descended", He did not go into the lower section, and preach to those who already stood condemned as unrighteous (it is appointed ONCE to man to die, THEN the judgment). He went into the section called Paradise (He said unto the thief, this day thou shalt be with me in paradise).

There He "preached" or presented Himself and His sacrifice to the OT "saints" who were there, and led them FROM there to heaven, where they now reside.

Nana:
I wondered if you would please provide scriptural proof for this.  Thanx  Smiley

Be mindful of the prisoners, as having been bound with them; of those ill-treated, as also being in the body yourselves.  Hebrews 13:3
BigD
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 06:19:42 AM »

For an excellent article on the story/parable of the Rich Man and Lazarus, go to http://www.bereanbiblesociety.org/articles/1089754857.html

On the cross Jesus told the repentant thief that "today thou shall be with Me in Paridise." It was in the earth and and the pleasurable portion of hell/hades/shoel/grave - the place where the souls of the departed dead go. That is where Jesus descended to while his body was in the tomb/grave.

Until we get to the story of the Rich Man and Lazarus in  Luke 16, we really know nothing as to where the souls of the departed have gone.

The sins of the saved, before the cross, were only covered. They were still taken out of the way until Jesus paid the price of sin upon the cross. Therefore, paridise was not in heaven, as sin cannot enter heaven. Those saved souls were captive in paridise which was still in the earth.

In Ephesians 4:8-10 we find that when Christ ascended up to heaven, He took those in Paridise with Him.

In 2Cor.12:1-4 we find that Paul was "caught up to the third heaven" - paridise.

Hope this is helpful.

God Bless.
Live Well, Laugh Often and Love the Lord!

MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 09:36:24 AM »

Could someone explain what part of Jesus went to hell if, while on the cross,  He committed His Spirit into the Hands of God, His Father.

thanx, nana

Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 08:48:29 PM »

Just a side note...

While the "Apostles' Creed" known today cannot be attributed to the apostles, this is an actual apostles creed:

1 Cor. 15:3-7, "For I (Paul speaking) delivered unto you among the first things what also I received: (here he begins to quote), How that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures, and that He was buried, and that he hath been raised on the third day, according to the scriptures, and that he appeared unto Cephas then to the twelve, after that he appeared to above five hundred brethren at once, of whom the greater number remain until even now, but some have fallen asleep; after that he appeared unto James, then unto all the apostles..."
The book "The Case for Easter" explains that this passage is historically valid (its actually old), and may have been given to Paul by Peter or James; it predates the first four books of the New Testament as one of the first (A.D.) accounts of the gospel. This creed, as well as the book of Mark, are possibly the oldest witnesses in the New Testament.

Evangelist:
Thanks for the info, I knew that sheol was sectioned off, but did not know that part of it was called paradise.

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the