Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 07:45:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286824 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Politics and Political Issues (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  War critic Murtha does a '180' on troop surge
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: War critic Murtha does a '180' on troop surge  (Read 586 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2007, 06:54:09 AM »

War critic Murtha does a '180' on troop surge

One of the most vocal anti-war Democrats in the House of Representatives has apparently changed his tune about the U.S. troop surge in Iraq.

In April, Congressman John Murtha (D-Pennsylvania) told CNN "the surge has failed" and "there was no possibility that it was going to work." The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette now reports that Murtha said he saw signs of military progress during a recent trip to Iraq over the Thanksgiving break. The congressman, chairman of the powerful Defense Appropriations Subcommittee, is quoted as saying, "I think the 'surge' is working," but the Iraqis "have got to take care of themselves."

Gulf War veteran Steve Robertson is legislative director for the American Legion and has a son in the Army who is on his second tour in Iraq. He says the Pennsylvania lawmaker saw "a clear difference between perception and reality" during his visit.

"What he perceived initially was that the surge would not work," Robertson notes. "The reality is, once he got on the ground and visited with the troops and saw for himself, the stark reality came true -- that the surge was effective."

Robertson says Murtha's comments may make it harder for Democrats to continue rejecting President Bush's war funding request for next year. "The leadership is going to have to take a hard look [at itself]," he says. "One of the things that they were concerned about was the change of military strategy. Well, now that the military strategy was changed and it is working, I think that the leadership needs to seriously think about changing its views on how to approach the war."

Murtha stated that although the troop surge is helping improve security, the central government in Baghdad is "dysfunctional."

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 07:03:43 AM »

A democrat admitting their wrong? I'm taken not only astounded but impressed. I guess when the proof is in the pudding he doesn't want to look like a complete fool.

Murtha stated that although the troop surge is helping improve security, the central government in Baghdad is "dysfunctional."

The Military did their job, now it is up to the politicians to do their's. The Military can't help fix a "dysfunctional" government that is up to the politicians to help the new Iraq government to do that. Let's see now if they will step up to the plate and do their part of the job.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the