Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 13, 2024, 05:56:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286824 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Debate Area
« previous next »
Poll
Question: Should Christians Unite have a debate area?
Yes - same as always. - 4 (30.8%)
Yes - only with changes. - 6 (46.2%)
No - it's only trouble. - 0 (0%)
No - it doesn't glorify God. - 2 (15.4%)
Other - please specify. - 1 (7.7%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Debate Area  (Read 5561 times)
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2004, 10:26:49 AM »

Hmmmmm.  I seem to be the odd man out!  No comments please... Grin

Seriously speaking though, I think it should go because I can't see how brothers in Christ arguing can be glorifying to God.  And that, I believe, is the heart of the matter.  We are to live as united as we are.  Disagreements are to be humbly agreed upon and we are to grow in Christ inspite of our differing viewpoints.  Having an area to argue about things isn't very honoring to God.  And let's face it, that's exactly what it becomes.  We do not follow rules of debate, and I have yet to see anyone change their wrong opinions to follow God's truth in any such debate.  We can argue that our faith is strengthened...but how many of us (self included) have lost our cool in a debate?  Is that honoring to God?

Yup.  We can "thicken our skin" but I have to ask, is God looking for tough Christians, or tender, and broken-hearted believers?   Smiley

Just a thought...

Hmmm,

now see, this is why one must either adore the little man floating in coffee, or fear his gentle aluring nature, as he backstrokes his way into your nightmares to snare you with his caffinated truths....lol   Be afraid man! Be very afraid!

All kidding aside, I must admit I am forced to stop and reconsider my feelings on this now.  On the one hand, how apropriate is debating for us, and two, how does an admin control a forum visited by both believers and unbelievers where debating is bound to happen regardless?   I don't envy your position here BEP.

It seems to me that apologetics would also fall in the same catagory.  After all it too is based on argumentive defense of God.   I have learned some marvelous truths from reading apologetic threads, as well as other debates conducted in love.   Many did however start to get out of control too.

Prayer is required about this for sure!

Grace and Peace

PS. or maybe we could just drown the coffee man?  Grin LOL  j/k Kevin.  I love you bro!

LOL  That's it!  Blame the coffeman!  Drown the coffeeman!   hehee Wink

Love ya too bro!

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2004, 10:29:24 AM »

Now see, he sets a better example than coffee man does.   ;)He is not burdened with the cares of life and escapes the snare of medicated drink before the caffeine rush sets in.   Grin

OK I'm getting slap happy now!  13.5 hours night shift, and now debate contemplation!  Time for bed me thinks!

Grace and Peace!

I agree.  He's onward and upward, while coffeeman is just basking in his addiction...Gotta change my avatar...or just be brutally honest with my brethren and sist...ren... Grin

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2004, 10:35:04 AM »

Allinall,

Brother, I've thought about and prayed about nearly all of what you talked about in your post. I will quickly admit that I'm still confused and don't have a firm opinion. I'm sure this is one of the values of discussion. This is a pleasant discussion among brothers and sisters in Christ. There might be many terms that could be used to describe what we are discussing (i.e. argument, debate, war, etc.). I would quickly agree there are many definitions of the term, "Debate". I do remember many formal and informal rules of "debate" in an educational setting. I doubt that many of our past debates could be compared to debates used in an educational setting. In fact, many of them should not have been called "debates" at all.

Yup.  We can "thicken our skin" but I have to ask, is God looking for tough Christians, or tender, and broken-hearted believers?  

Just a thought...

Brother, this is more than just a lot to consider. This actually cuts to the heart of this matter. What does God want?

We've got plenty of time. There is no rush at all, and I would really like to see what others think after they have digested your post.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Thanks for thinking about this Tom.  I've been wondering about it for awhile now.  Why did I come here in the first place?  Because I happened across a post by a young lady uncertain about God.  I felt I need to respond to help her.  And since then, I've been trying to do just that, more or less...until the debates come up.  I have a tendency to prove my view right rather than let God's truth make them right.  I think we all have that, and tend to lean that way when our doctrines don't match up.

But I must also add, that while there are doctrines my friends here hold to that I don't, I've found a sweetness of fellowship in Christ that I've often missed in my local assembly.  Why?  We share a Savior, a Father, a mission, a love and a future.  Makes me pay more attention to those within my assembly as well.  May not always agree, but we can always love and worship together the one we know as our Lord.  

Thanks y'all!   Smiley

Willowbirch
Gold Member

He is risen! - He is risen indeed.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2004, 10:58:07 AM »

But I must also add, that while there are doctrines my friends here hold to that I don't, I've found a sweetness of fellowship in Christ that I've often missed in my local assembly.  Why?  We share a Savior, a Father, a mission, a love and a future.  Makes me pay more attention to those within my assembly as well.  May not always agree, but we can always love and worship together the one we know as our Lord.  

Thanks y'all!   Smiley
Cheesy

"Man dreams and desires; God broods, and wills, and quickens."
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2004, 11:04:47 AM »

I only like the debate area when I’m winning the debate.   Grin

My opinion:  Debates happen.  They take place outside of the debate area as well.  Is this thread a debate?  I don’t believe the debate area in itself is hurtful or harmful in the least – it’s an unloaded gun.  But put bullets in it (personalities) and it can be mentally hurtful and harmful.  But – won’t that happen anyway?  We will still “debate” disagreements will we not?  
I look at the ‘Debate Area’ as I do a boxing ring at the YMCA.  At sometime in the distant past, someone determined that “Young men will be young men – fights will happen, so let’s give them a safer venue than an alley.”  So they built a ring and gave them padded gloves.  No one is forced into the ring.
If someone is going to begin a thread they know will cause a ‘stir’ a good example would be “US Elections 2004”  Lips Sealed it might as well go into a folder where everyone expects differences of opinion.
In general I am a poor debater but I enjoy following the debates.  I am particularly poor at spiritual debate – even at my age I feel like I have too much to learn and not enough to share.  I’ll mix it up a little when politics is involved,  Grin but that’s a whole-nother-matter.
Having said all this - RESPECT is the key.
And as Allinall thoughtfully points out "We share a Savior, a Father, a mission, a love and a future."

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Gracey

...still just a child

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2004, 01:56:53 PM »

Seriously speaking though, I think it should go because I can't see how brothers in Christ arguing can be glorifying to God.

That would be fine if you want to close the forum and make it available for christian fellowship ONLY. Then I agree, "brothers in Christ arguing" is certainly not glorifying God, nor edifying to anyone else, either. It doesn't set a very good example of what Christians should be.

If it comes to that, then those of us left here will happily fellowship together, but will we be helping the lost? Maybe.

Taking part in a "debate" with non-christians can be glorifying to God if we ALLOW GOD to lead us through the debate process. If we let His peaceful spirit give us the words we use; if we let his love temper our attitudes then what a non-believer should see is "Christ" in us. While that may not "convert" anyone from their position of non-belief, it is the seed we can plant. God will do the rest. But only if we can plant the seed. With some people, the only way to do that is enter into the debate.

"What does God want?" is the question to answer. My answer would probably be "that none should be lost".

I've been out on the net looking for some of those "lost" souls who caused the havock here; so far I've found 2. Why? Because God said "I came to save the lost-go find them".

So, I will say again that I think the debate area can be useful to God's purposes, but if the doors are closed, I still have a home here.

peace

Gracey

ps: I never give up til God says so.

†† Guided by God ††
felix102

Jesus Christ is Lord!

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2004, 02:59:44 PM »

I'd like people to check out "Have spiritual gifts ceased or are they still around?" in General Theology. This is technically a debate because differing opinions are encouraged. This is the type of debate we should be having among our fellow sisters and brothers in Christ. These are rules that WE can follow. Now, don't expect non-believers to follow this; they won't try to have a contructive debate.
Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2004, 05:59:18 PM »

If I can weigh in here (I weigh a LOT):

A debate forum, if it is truly dedicated to a structured and highly moderated debate format, could be quite beneficial to all of us.

To learn, and use, the essentials of classical debate techniques would do wonders to help all become better equipped to deal with seekers and scoffers alike.

While it is true that very few minds (of those actively involved) will be changed, the purpose of debate is really for those who listen or observe in terms of coming to grips with certain things, and for those involved to "sharpen their swords", as it were.

Generally, a debate should not involve more than two, a proponent and an opponent, and the subject to be debated should be very narrowly defined, rather than far-ranging and nebulous.

Beats having a water-cooler whang-bang.....and it's oh, so civilized.  Grin

BroHank
John 8:12 Ministries  www.john812.com
The Beymers  www.thebeymers.org
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2004, 10:12:05 AM »

If I can weigh in here (I weigh a LOT):

A debate forum, if it is truly dedicated to a structured and highly moderated debate format, could be quite beneficial to all of us.

To learn, and use, the essentials of classical debate techniques would do wonders to help all become better equipped to deal with seekers and scoffers alike.

While it is true that very few minds (of those actively involved) will be changed, the purpose of debate is really for those who listen or observe in terms of coming to grips with certain things, and for those involved to "sharpen their swords", as it were.

Generally, a debate should not involve more than two, a proponent and an opponent, and the subject to be debated should be very narrowly defined, rather than far-ranging and nebulous.

Beats having a water-cooler whang-bang.....and it's oh, so civilized.  Grin

Orchestrated in such a fashion, with the understanding that between the two involved in the debate that they are to adhere to the rules set and willing to learn...then iron can truly sharpen iron.  Lots of "ifs" though.  We have enough "whang-bangs" everywhere else.   Grin

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the