Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 07:41:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286824 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Christian Love In Our Posts
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Christian Love In Our Posts  (Read 5276 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2004, 01:17:52 AM »

Amen-this is a great topic. And there's also the issue of pet peeves. That enters into the pic. I think it's true, also, that misinterpretation enters the picture a lot.

Oklahoma Howdy to Whitehorse,

WOW! - I think that you hit two more nails square on the head. In fact, I had to check my wooden head to see if it was still attached.   Cheesy  I will gladly take my punishment, but only if it is still a severe lashing with wet noodles.   Cheesy

How many times have you looked at a thread that appears to be a fairly heated debate and wondered what the debate was about.   Cheesy  UM??, then I might see my handle on a post and wonder what side I'm on, if any. You read on for several pages and really can't decide what the difference is that's being beaten to death. For some of them, you have to look pretty hard. Some of them involve word usage or semantics, and it turns out that all parties are saying the same thing in different ways. However, that's where pride kicks in and keeps it going. If it goes on long enough, someone gets mad and escalates the discussion to new heights of combat. Everyone simply gets beat up, and the actual cause is never known.   Cheesy  

I didn't forget your comment about pet peeves. Yes, that is important. I'm one of those old guys who can never remember, and I stick my foot in my mouth fairly often. There may be many cases where kidding might or might not be involved, but I guess that really depends on the receiver of the message and how they feel about it. Kidding can hurt if it is not taken as kidding. If it involves a pet peeve, I doubt it would be taken as kidding. However, the end result is always the same, we are all people with feelings, and those feelings can be hurt.

Love In Christ,
Tom

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2004, 03:56:06 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

Here's a few beautiful portions of Scripture about "peace". There is no secret that Grace, Mercy, Charity, Love, Joy and Peace are closely associated and interwoven throughout the Holy Bible. They are also some of the attributes of our precious Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. Love appears to be a common denominator with all of these attributes. As an example, is Grace a Love GIFT? Is Love many times the result of Peace? Are Mercy and Charity GIFTS in Love? Is Joy many times the end result of Love? Love was freely given to us by the Grace of God, and we are commanded to freely give love to others.

Isn't it all still about Love?

Mark 9:34  But they held their peace: for by the way they had disputed among themselves, who should be the greatest.

Mark 9:50  Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his saltness, wherewith will ye season it? Have salt in yourselves, and have peace one with another.

Luke 1:79  To give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace.

Luke 2:14  Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.

Luke 10:5  And into whatsoever house ye enter, first say, Peace be to this house.

John 14:27  Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.

John 16:33  These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.

John 20:21  Then said Jesus to them again, Peace be unto you: as my Father hath sent me, even so send I you.

Romans 2:10  But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:

Romans 5:1  Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:

Romans 8:6  For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.

Romans 10:15  And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

Romans 14:17  For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

Romans 14:19  Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another.

Romans 15:13  Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.

1 Corinthians 7:15  But if the unbelieving depart, let him depart. A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

1 Corinthians 14:33  For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

2 Corinthians  13:11  Finally, brethren, farewell. Be perfect, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and the God of love and peace shall be with you.

Galatians 1:3  Grace be to you and peace from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ,

Galatians 5:22  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

Ephesians 2:15  Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

Ephesians 4:3  Endeavouring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

Ephesians 6:15  And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

Ephesians 6:23  Peace be to the brethren, and love with faith, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Philippians 4:7  And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.

Colossians 1:20  And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.

Colossians 3:15  And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.

1 Thessalonians 5:13  And to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake. And be at peace among yourselves.

1 Thessalonians 5:23  And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2 Thessalonians 3:16  Now the Lord of peace himself give you peace always by all means. The Lord be with you all.

2 Timothy 2:22  Flee also youthful lusts: but follow righteousness, faith, charity, peace, with them that call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

Hebrews 12:14  Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord:

Hebrews 13:20  Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,

James 3:18  And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.

1 Peter 3:11  Let him eschew evil, and do good; let him seek peace, and ensue it.

1 Peter 5:14  Greet ye one another with a kiss of charity. Peace be with you all that are in Christ Jesus. Amen.

2 Peter 1:2  Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,

2 Peter 3:14  Wherefore, beloved, seeing that ye look for such things, be diligent that ye may be found of him in peace, without spot, and blameless.

Jude 1:2  Mercy unto you, and peace, and love, be multiplied.

Love In Christ,
Tom

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2004, 07:47:13 AM »

Amen!

Wonderful verses Tom.  Reading through them thinking of how I could apply some of these to my posts, a lot comes to mind.  But I will just mention two of them.

Mark 9:50  Salt is good: but if the salt have lost his saltness, wherewith will ye season it? Have salt in yourselves, and have peace one with another.

This verse speaks of losing saltiness.  But I had an idea about this.  As we all know, salt adds flavor to our food if proportioned properly.  But if you get too much salt, the taste becomes unbearable, making the food too strong to eat.  We are the salt of the world.  Just a dash here and there, making it just right.  When we get carried away pressing our points, it seems possible to become overbearing, thus adding too much salt to be palletable.  I know it sounds bizzare, but just another way of looking at it.  We can get our points across without forcing the issue, and maybe, leaving more impact than we think by saying less, rather than pooring on the salt till it becomes bitter and impossible to swallow.  Just some food for thought  (pun intended)  Wink

Galatians 5:22  But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

How beautiful is this?  Says so much in just a few words.  Love, Joy, Peace, Longsuffering, gentleness, goodness and faith.  What a guide for making positive comments to one another on CU.  Bearing fruit of the spirit!

Good stuff indeed!

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2004, 09:14:05 AM »

Very good point.  Its easy to say "put others first", but how do you do it on a message forum?  We are expected to post our thoughts on various points, or it appears sometimes we are not listening...another disadvantage of the virtual world.  Everthing goes smooth until a disagreement on some point comes up.  This is where much of the time baby discernment goes out the window with the bath water.  Or perhaps some of us just arent that good at discernment?  A person may need to be pointed to scripture showing truth on the matter.  But of course, anyone being told they are wrong will not have a positive reaction many times.  This is true in any situation.  Here I think is where Love starts to show all its attributes (that is, if we apply it).

How indeed!  I think we tend to take the teacher role to the point of perfecter.  We tend to forget that the ultimate work is God's, and that He takes us through many turns to get us each to the point of Christlikeness He so desires in our lives.  How many times does He allow us to ignorantly rant our theology before He shows us the truth?  And do we willingly allow others such errors?  No!  We rant, rave, and take personally what we have no right to take personally.  Love.  That's the key, like Tom's been saying.  How?  By taking time to teach, and more time to "speak the truth in love."  Smiley

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2004, 09:15:14 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Allinall,

Brother, I always thought the guy in your coffee cup was Bill Clinton doing a back-stroke.  

Would you like me to help you find a replacement?  

Just kidding. I appreciate fine art.  

Love In Christ,
Tom

heheheee!   Cheesy

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2004, 09:31:11 AM »

Brother, I think you hit the nail square on the head. There is a lot to think about in your post. In fact, there is a lot to pray about in your post. Who really knows who we are posting to on the other end. Could it be a young person trying their spiritual wings so to speak? If so, encouragement or discouragement would probably be fairly easy. The same could be true of an older person who just became a Christian. In either case, I would not wish to discourage them. Your point is excellent, "we must be discerning with love."

In fact, "discerning with love" is probably the ultimate answer for all of our posts. You already made the point there is a time to defend the faith, but "discerning with love" may still be a key element. A lot depends on the circumstances and what you may wish to accomplish with your reply. If you are trying to help a lost person, a blatant attack will be ignored. One must also remember there is a Biblical time for rebuke. There is simply much to pray about in this area, and I think it is a worthy topic of prayer for all of us.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Amen Tom!  I think we often try to prove our point as opposed to revealing God's.  Teaching truth takes God's approach, not mine.   Smiley

Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2004, 09:49:55 AM »

Of course on the other hand, sometimes we think we are right when we are not.

Its complex.  Pauls description of love...
1Co 13:4  Charity has patience, is kind; charity is not envious, is not vain, is not puffed up;
1Co 13:5  does not behave indecently, does not seek her own, is not easily provoked, thinks no evil.
1Co 13:6  Charity does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices in the truth,
1Co 13:7  quietly covers all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
1Co 13:8  Charity never fails.[...]

We fail in many areas described here.  But, with Christ in our lives, and in our posts, the above is not out of reach...perhaps only with christ are they attainable.

I have to agree with Tom here Tim.  Great portion of scripture for this topic brother!  And you've brought something else to mind that I'd like to comment about from the same chapter.  The chapter begins...

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.

1 Corinthians 13:1-3

Paul points out that regardless of our intelligience, discernment, gifts, or any other spiritual quality, if we do not use these talents and gifts in love and in the lives of other, then the result is always the same.  NOTHING[/b].  My speech could be eloquent, but it will only be noise that gives nothing.  I could know, and understand everything in the Bible, and have the faith so as to perform miracles galore and still be nothing.  I could give my time, my insight, my body, my very life, and still have nothing to show for it.  All this, if I do all of this out of selfish ambition rather than love.  It is love that makes the difference in the excersising of the gifts and talents God has blessed each of us with.  We come here with diverse blessings to use in each others lives.  But when we lose track of the love with which we are to minister them...we, our testimony, our effect, our benefit amounts to absolutely nothing.

Makes ya think about Tom's concept of it all being about love doesn't it?   Smiley
« Last Edit: January 09, 2004, 09:53:32 AM by Allinall » Logged

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2004, 01:13:43 PM »

And there's also the issue of pet pieves

Don't get me started.    Embarrassed
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2004, 04:21:14 PM »

Of course on the other hand, sometimes we think we are right when we are not.

Its complex.  Pauls description of love...
1Co 13:4  Charity has patience, is kind; charity is not envious, is not vain, is not puffed up;
1Co 13:5  does not behave indecently, does not seek her own, is not easily provoked, thinks no evil.
1Co 13:6  Charity does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices in the truth,
1Co 13:7  quietly covers all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
1Co 13:8  Charity never fails.[...]

We fail in many areas described here.  But, with Christ in our lives, and in our posts, the above is not out of reach...perhaps only with christ are they attainable.

I have to agree with Tom here Tim.  Great portion of scripture for this topic brother!  And you've brought something else to mind that I'd like to comment about from the same chapter.  The chapter begins...

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing.

1 Corinthians 13:1-3

Paul points out that regardless of our intelligience, discernment, gifts, or any other spiritual quality, if we do not use these talents and gifts in love and in the lives of other, then the result is always the same.  NOTHING[/b].  My speech could be eloquent, but it will only be noise that gives nothing.  I could know, and understand everything in the Bible, and have the faith so as to perform miracles galore and still be nothing.  I could give my time, my insight, my body, my very life, and still have nothing to show for it.  All this, if I do all of this out of selfish ambition rather than love.  It is love that makes the difference in the excersising of the gifts and talents God has blessed each of us with.  We come here with diverse blessings to use in each others lives.  But when we lose track of the love with which we are to minister them...we, our testimony, our effect, our benefit amounts to absolutely nothing.

Makes ya think about Tom's concept of it all being about love doesn't it?   Smiley

Amen Brother!  I don't think it could be said any better than this.  Talk about application!

Beautiful!

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2004, 07:33:01 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

I must apologize for being mainly absent yesterday, and I may be absent part of today taking care of some pressing family business.

WOW! - Great posts from all of you. I had planned to already have some companion and reference type material posted. I hope that I'm able to get that done today. I also want to take some time studying your posts. I am really enjoying this topic, and I keep finding more Scripture references that tie in together with what we are talking about.

I think that I'm seeing more and more that Christian fellowship is definitely possible on the Internet. It's just another time of enjoying the company of God's children. I also think that we have been fortunate in being given many opportunities to witness. I'm positive there is a lot of witnessing in private mail after our members have gotten to know something about a person searching for Christ. WOW! - what a great feeling it is sharing Christ with someone in need.

I just received some great news that I wanted to share. My youngest niece will be married in May, and the new couple will be missionaries somewhere in South America. I wish you could meet them. I would really appreciate a little prayer for them from time to time. I have another set of very young family members serving as missionaries in Chile. Their little son just turned 1, and their ministry is being blessed.

Love In Christ,
Tom  

sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2004, 07:55:00 AM »

Wow~ I missed this one! What a great read!  Cheesy

I've noticed that I tend to get frustrated when a few are picked apart because of ageism. That's the mother in me, I s'pose.  Undecided

I have learned to take a break when things start to get to me! I left a forum where a mod got kicked off and then wanted to go behind the scenes and try to turn me against the admin who had done nothing to me! Aargh!  Angry God and I are still working on that one!  Lips Sealed

It seems to me that so many times problems arise because of personality differences. And I've found that if I pray for the ones that most irritate me, then I tend to start seeing sides of them that I had overlooked. Sometimes, my prayer is as simple as asking God to let me see someone as He does.  Lips Sealed

But I'm thankful that He is patient with me. Remember the old saying, "Please be patient with me, God isn't finished with me, yet!"?

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2004, 11:52:30 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to 2nd Timothy,

How beautiful is this?  Says so much in just a few words.  Love, Joy, Peace, Longsuffering, gentleness, goodness and faith.  What a guide for making positive comments to one another on CU.  Bearing fruit of the spirit!

Brother, I like to think of Christians Unite as a place of fellowship, retreat from the world, encouragement, prayer, and love. Much of Christians Unite IS JUST THIS. Brother, thanks for your contributions to the love here. You and many others post uplifting thoughts and precious truths from God's Word.

Love In Christ,
Tom

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2004, 12:07:45 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Allinall,

How indeed!  I think we tend to take the teacher role to the point of perfecter.  We tend to forget that the ultimate work is God's, and that He takes us through many turns to get us each to the point of Christlikeness He so desires in our lives.  How many times does He allow us to ignorantly rant our theology before He shows us the truth?  And do we willingly allow others such errors?  No!  We rant, rave, and take personally what we have no right to take personally.  Love.  That's the key, like Tom's been saying.  How?  By taking time to teach, and more time to "speak the truth in love."  

Brother, I think that a self-critical look at ourselves must be the beginning of Christian Love. I think that we can all see a little bit of ourselves in the description above, and I give thanks that you gave us more to think about. I would like to tell you that I've learned much from your posts, and I've not seen you in the mode your described. I've seen myself in that mode.

I will tell you that I love coming to Christians Unite to learn more about God's Word and enjoy Christian fellowship with sweet Christians like you and many others here. Some rarely lose their cool and nearly always have something positive to say that either points the lost to Christ or builds up the saved in Christ. Thank you Brother, you are one of those sweet Christians.

Love In Christ,
Tom

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2004, 12:34:33 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to SincereHeart,

I've noticed that I tend to get frustrated when a few are picked apart because of ageism. That's the mother in me, I s'pose.  

Cheesy  Are you talking about the folks who take advantage of the elderly and senile like me?

UM?? - I bet you are talking about those who take advantage of the immature or youth in Christ instead of encouraging and nurturing them. Am I getting closer? If I missed it entirely, remember I'm senile and have mercy.   Cheesy

I certainly give thanks for the Godly mothers who have such a dramatic impact on the entire lives of their children. I feel specially blessed to have a Godly mother who still encourages me and helps me choose paths that would be most pleasing to God. I also give thanks that God gave me enough common sense to always carefully listen to my Godly mother.

SincereHeart, thanks for encouraging our young ones. If someone complains about you bringing some of the young ones under the protection of your wings, we will simply have to give them to Whitehorse for jailing.   Cheesy

Love In Christ,
Tom

sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2004, 07:27:22 AM »

Am I getting closer?

You are sooooo there!  Wink

Brother, I like to think of Christians Unite as a place of fellowship, retreat from the world, encouragement, prayer, and love. Much of Christians Unite IS JUST THIS.

We all need a safe haven! For me, it helps me 'fire up' to go back out. Cheesy
Most of the time.....  Roll Eyes

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the