Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 10:34:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286822 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  I am new... But I have a question...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I am new... But I have a question...  (Read 2545 times)
motthamble

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2004, 04:15:58 PM »

Hey everyone...  I was wondering if anyone had an opinion about watching shows featuring other religions and stuff...  Even pagan things...  There are a couple of new shows on Sci-Fi that feature Pagan things and Wicca, I like the shows but feel guilty watching them, what do you all think about it...  Sorry to start off with a question in here...
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 05:15:36 PM »

You should ask Harry Potter Grin

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Royo

I love Jesus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 05:46:17 PM »

What any of us here feel, or believe, is not what is important.
What you believe the Lord is telling you is what is important.
The Holy Spirit who lives in you will answer your question if you ask, and then take the time to hear His answer.

But I would recommend not just asking about this or that show, but about the entertainment of the world, period.

Bless you brother.....Roy.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2004, 06:14:24 PM »

Hello motthamble,

I don't consider this type of material to be entertainment, just evil. I did some research and attended classes on evil related to witchcraft during 25 years of police work. The purpose was to deal with the crimes they commit and how to deal with them in the legal system. I have retired and now rarely research this area only for the purpose of helping them get loose and accept Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Saviour.

In short, I consider this dark and evil material that causes misery with an end destination of hell. I would simply consider this to be part of a huge assortment of evil on television these days. Life is too short to spend any time on this type of garbage unless a mature Christian is using it to help someone. Otherwise, it is simply a tool of the devil to enslave people for evil.

This may not be what you wanted to hear. If you think I'm closed-minded on this subject, you would be right.

Tom

Come passion

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2004, 06:16:50 PM »

Scriptures state how HE feels about this.  He loves you - love Him more than the world about you and take a stand for what is right.  If you are ever unsure, pray and ask HIM - HE speaks still.  HE desires that HIS people come out and be separate from the world.

2Co 6:17  Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,

Galatians 1:
10.  For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.

HIS command - this is how YHWH feels about witchcraft, sorcery, and such like it.

Deuteronomy 18:
10.  There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch.
11.  Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.
12.  For all that do these things are an abomination unto the Lord:
and because of these abominations the Lord thy God doth drive them out from before thee.
13.  Thou shalt be perfect with the Lord thy God.

Paul and Barnabas - this is how they felt about it!

Acts 13:
6.  And when they had gone through the isle unto Paphos, they found a certain sorcerer, a false prophet, a Jew, whose name was Barjesus:
7.  Which was with the deputy of the country, Sergius Paulus, a prudent man; who called for Barnabas and Saul, and desired to hear the word of God.
8.  But Elymas the sorcerer (for so is his name by interpretation) withstood them, seeking to turn away the deputy from the faith.
9.  Then Saul, (who also is called Paul,) filled with the Holy Ghost, set his eyes on him,
10.  And said, O full of all subtilty and all mischief, thou child of the devil, thou enemy of all righteousness, wilt thou not cease to pervert the right ways of the Lord?
11.  And now, behold, the hand of the Lord is upon thee, and thou shalt be blind, not seeing the sun for a season. And immediately there fell on him a mist and a darkness; and he went about seeking some to lead him by the hand. 12.  Then the deputy, when he saw what was done, believed, being astonished at the doctrine of the Lord.

what happens to those partaking and condoning such?

this is the harlot -

Revelations 18:
23.  And the light of a candle shall shine no more at all in thee (notice this - the light once did shine there); and the voice of the bridegroom and of the bride shall be heard no more at all in thee: for thy merchants were the great men of the earth; for by thy sorceries were all nations deceived.

what else will happen -

Revelations 21:
8.  But the fearful, and unbelieving, and abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2004, 06:25:48 PM »

Royo Said:

But I would recommend not just asking about this or that show, but about the entertainment of the world, period.

Oklahoma Howdy to Royo,

Brother, this is a true statement. I don't call this sort of stuff entertainment, but I know what you mean. Yes, we should stop the invasion of evil into our homes by television or another other media.

Christians are still completely in charge of what comes into their homes and what doesn't. It is our last refuge until we go home to be with our Lord and Saviour.

Brother, I've been missing you. It's great to see you back on Christians Unite.

Love In Christ,
Tom

motthamble

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2004, 06:32:45 PM »

I agree with the whole of you...  I guess I was just surprised when I saw a group of so-called Christians partake in a pagan ritual of fear-cleansing on the Mad Mad House, which is a world of it's own I tell you...  It really spurred me to ask some fellow christians what they thought I guess...  Is this crazy of me to think about?  Is it wrong to see this stuff?  I guess it hit me especially hard b/c it is a reality show, and these people are actually doing these things...  Not just acting them out...  You know?  
tony

Your Brother in Christ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2004, 11:08:56 AM »

I agree with the whole of you...  I guess I was just surprised when I saw a group of so-called Christians partake in a pagan ritual of fear-cleansing on the Mad Mad House, which is a world of it's own I tell you...  It really spurred me to ask some fellow christians what they thought I guess...  Is this crazy of me to think about?  Is it wrong to see this stuff?  I guess it hit me especially hard b/c it is a reality show, and these people are actually doing these things...  Not just acting them out...  You know?  
Just because people call themselves "Christians" does NOT in and of itself mean anything.  Being a Christian supercedes a verbal claim.  Indeed, being a Christian is a matter of faith, and a way of life.  To be Christian is to be Christ like.  If Christ wouldn't do it... I don't want to do it!! Smiley

A few scriptures/thoughts worth considering Cool
JOB 24:15  “The eye also of the adulterer waiteth for the twilight, saying, No eye shall see me: and disguiseth his face." Often, many things are done behind closed doors.  If it isn't a program/movie/or show that you would invite the entire church congregation over to watch… it may not be worth your time to view it.

PSA 101:3 “I will set no wicked thing before mine eyes: I hate the work of them that turn aside; it shall not cleave to me."

Prov.3:7 "...fear the LORD, and depart from evil."

PROV. 27:20 “Hell and destruction are never full; so the eyes of man are never satisfied."

In the words of Jesus, (MATH 5:29) “And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell."  Rather than take this literally, let us "pluck.. out" those things from our life that we ought not be looking upon, and turn our heads away from things God would not have us look upon.  

Hope these scriptures were helpful in regards to your question.

Your Brother in Christ,

Tony

Reba
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2004, 11:18:15 AM »

The cute little sitcoms Bewitched, I Dream of jeanny were an introduction to how nice the occult world could be... an angel of light?

The words of satan in the garden were subbtle.
tony

Your Brother in Christ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2004, 11:51:30 AM »

The cute little sitcoms Bewitched, I Dream of jeanny were an introduction to how nice the occult world could be... an angel of light?

How true that is, Reba.  Satan is not blunt in all of his tactics... if he were it would be difficult to persuade Christians to stray...

Your Brother in Christ,

Tony
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 12:15:26 PM by tony » Logged
HopeAndFaith

Defender of Jesus (and chocolate)

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2004, 01:46:16 PM »

I am still in the process of weeding out "yucky" stuff from my books, music, and movies. My daughter was watching a Hello kitty DVD yesterday, i had never noticed before that a character consulted a crystal ball in a "snow white" like story. I immediately turned it off. my daughter asked why, so i had to tell her it had yucky stuff in it that Jesus doesn't like. How come i had never noticed it before? Probably because i wasn't doing my job, i should watch everything once to make sure it doesn't violate the Word. Also, i have been slacking as a Christian, i was not in tune so i wasn't hearing God's voice. Sad

I agree, you should pray about it, but it sounds like the Holy Spirirt has already given you some conviction on these shows, since you are feeling guilty. But that is a good thing! that means you not only hear His voice, but you are listening.

John 16
13   Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

John 14
26But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

Romans 5
5And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us.

Luke 6:45   A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.
46   And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?
47   Whosoever cometh to me, and heareth my sayings, and doeth them, I will shew you to whom he is like:
48   He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.
49   But he that heareth, and doeth not, is like a man that without a foundation built an house upon the earth; against which the stream did beat vehemently, and immediately it fell; and the ruin of that house was great.

Its true, garbage in, garbage out. A good rule my mom always told me: would you want Jesus to hear/see/read that? Meaning would you want your Saviour to have to listen to whatever you are listening to, ect?  He does have to hear and see everything, because He is with us every second of the day.

Wow, i really do have more "house cleaning to do". I guess we need to pray on all things, especially before we buy music, movies and books. The Holy Spirit will speak to us, we just have to listen. With practice, it will get easier.

Romans 15:13  Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.
Reba
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2004, 02:03:35 PM »

Amen H&F  and welcome to the forum!
HopeAndFaith

Defender of Jesus (and chocolate)

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2004, 03:24:46 PM »

Cheesy Thanks Reba! Very glad to be here.

Romans 15:13  Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost.
motthamble

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2004, 04:44:36 PM »

I appreciate the insight here...  Thanks a million!  There is a lot of stuff out there designed to look amusing and cutsie that is bad...  I thought I wasokay with certain channels, like I listed before, but I guess I was sooo off base.  I saw the cartoon tripping the rift at a friends house and it was vile.  Cursing sex and other things in a cartoon...  Kids could be watching...
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2004, 11:00:41 PM »

Satan does not come as the monster Hollywood sometimes makes him out to be. He does not come as a twisted ugly weirdo. This does not deceive. He dresses up with a makeover and the entertaiment industry helps him and presents him to us as cute, loveable and wonderful to behold.

He decieves and lures in the most beautiful, handsome and gorgeous entity one could ever perceive in this world. He leads to sin with false beauty and false majesty, false promises.

Ollie

Support your local Christian.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the