Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 12, 2024, 05:57:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286822 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Why I Read the Authorized KJV Bible
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why I Read the Authorized KJV Bible  (Read 5169 times)
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2004, 05:30:17 PM »

This raises a good question: how do you tell a good translation from a bad one? I know of one free translation that actually substituted Washington for  Rome (being our capitol here in the US), and another that changed the words into inner-city slang. How do you feel about free translations?

ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2004, 05:56:09 PM »

This raises a good question: how do you tell a good translation from a bad one? I know of one free translation that actually substituted Washington for  Rome (being our capitol here in the US), and another that changed the words into inner-city slang. How do you feel about free translations?
The slang ones are gimmics - if they get someone interested, that's great, but they aren't intended to be used seriously.

Some of the other freer translations are intended to get you thinking about passages in another light.  They are not intended to replace more straighforward translations, but to complement them.

Before you decide whether a translation is good, bad or indifferent, you need to decide what purpose you are going to put it to.

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
Broken

xLOSERx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2004, 06:32:13 PM »

Shylynne,

As stated I read the KJV because its been preserved and annointed by God. What God has approved  I see no reason to change, simplify, add too, or take away from.

It does not claim so for itself. If by preservation you mean age, then there are older English translations.
Where exactly does God approve of one version? Where did He say, "The King James Version of the Bible is the only Bible that is accurate"? I think, somehow, it was men who said that. Not God.

God gave us stern warning about altering His word, and yet many of the newer versions are changing the wording, (meaning) of scripture, I think its enough to alarm christians to take heed.

Of course the words are going to be different. Translators cannot help that. I would not want to be a translator, personally, it is a very difficult thing to do. On the one hand you have to deal with a foreign language where one Greek word could have the meanings of several English words, or vice versa, for instance. On the other hand English is a living language, and therefore words change their meaning. That is why the KJV, though a good translation, is hard for some people to understand. Parts of it are now offensive - for reasons of profanity - because the language has changed. Naturally newer versions will take into account both developments in our understanding of Greek, Hebrew and Aramaic (especially Greek - at the time of the KJV koine greek was considered to be a special language used only for the writing of the NT. It was only in the 19th C that more documents in koine were discovered, which naturally meant we can now understand it rather better.) The newer versions also take into account the change in our own language - and of course they pay attention to the change between American and British English, which the KJV naturally would not do.

I like the KJV, but it is not the only version I would use. Even were I to be so fond of it that I never read another version - I still do not see the justification for the leap between "I prefer this" to "everyone must only read this".

And God will say:
Depart from me I never knew you!
I never knew you!
Never.

Man disavows, and Deity disowns me:
Hell might afford my miseries a shelter;
Therefore Hell keeps her ever-hungry mouths all
Bolted against me.
-Cowper
PaleRider

Bound By Conviction

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2004, 06:39:36 PM »

I like the KJV, but it is not the only version I would use. Even were I to be so fond of it that I never read another version - I still do not see the justification for the leap between "I prefer this" to "everyone must only read this".

Preference...That's a Great Word isn't it, it allows us to share with others our most treasured appeals, without stating that it's the only one that will work Smiley Stet

"Do You Feel The Fire"
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2004, 06:47:06 PM »

Nice post, Broken... Nicely said. Smiley

On the other hand English is a living language, and therefore words change their meaning.

Boy you can say that again.  Just look at what's been done to the word "gay".

Like in the Christmas hymn, "...now we don our gay apparel..."

Lips Sealed
Reba
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2004, 07:10:55 PM »

Nice post, Broken... Nicely said. Smiley

On the other hand English is a living language, and therefore words change their meaning.

Boy you can say that again.  Just look at what's been done to the word "gay".

Like in the Christmas hymn, "...now we don our gay apparel..."

Lips Sealed

Sheesh  thanks a lots Symp just thanks a whole lot.... never again will the song be the same ..............
Broken

xLOSERx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2004, 08:11:09 PM »

There are lots of examples of words changing. "Gay" is one of them.

I can think of one which is changing as we speak - quite fascinating to watch. That is the word "cult". It has two meanings now, and I find it difficult to remember that there is a newer definition, and inadvertently offend people. The older definition of "cult" is :
ritual observances involved in worship of, or communication with, the supernatural or its symbolic representations. A cult includes the totality of ideas, activities, and practices associated with a given divinity or social group. It includes not only ritual activities but also the beliefs and myths centering on the rites.
and so we can describe Christianity as a cult quite honestly and with no intention to offend. The same goes with all other religions, past and present. It is interesting that the word "religion" has now taken up some of the meanings of the older definition of "cult" which seems to have led to the present "relationship not religion" sloganeering. Just a minor point Wink
The newer definition of "cult" is: The term cult is now often used to refer to contemporary religious groups whose beliefs and practices depart from the conventional norms of society. These groups vary widely in doctrine, leadership, and ritual, but most stress direct experience of the divine and duties to the cult community. Such cults tend to proliferate during periods of social unrest; most are transient and peripheral, or "false religion", "brainwashing", various other ways of expressing what we mean, but the word has become pejorative. Both of those quotes came from the Columbia Encyclopaedia, by the way.

Erm, where was I? Yes, language changes, sometimes quite drastically, from generation to generation and even between generations. Any book that is used for a long time and is written or translated in a living language must adapt to the changes in that language, or become very very difficult to understand. In some ways, the Vulgate (or the Greek/Hebrew bibles) have the edge on this one, because as dead languages, they never change. But we are not native Latin/Greek/biblical hebrew speakers, unfortuantely.)

And God will say:
I never knew you!
Never.

Bolted against me.
-Cowper
Shylynne
Gold Member

Oh that I might kiss the feet of God!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2004, 08:11:47 PM »

I`m laughing so hard I got tears! symphony  Lips Sealed

ah...yes...preference...a lovely concept...

and funny, if I took a leap, I dont recall doing so  Wink

The sum of all I have to say is I love the KJV, and the truth remains, (keeping in mind I am not saying there are no other versions that are acceptable) we must be careful what we accept to be the inspired word of God, always letting His spirit bear witness in this matter, for without the spirit we cannot hope to discern what is true.

We  still need a washing and renewing of the Holy Spirit!  Cheesy

Who amoung us can eat meat  Grin

“Christianity isn't all that complicated … it's Jesus.”   — Joni Eareckson Tada

There is no force on earth as powerful as one human soul set ablaze with the Spirit of God -  Shylynne
sincereheart
Gold Member

"and with His stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2004, 08:17:45 PM »

I love the language of the KJV. But I did hear of another reason that I haven't seen listed here for reading another version. I was listening to a Spanish speaking missionary who apologized for reading from the NIV - but he had trouble with English and so the NIV was actually easier for him to read from. I had never thought of that before... Undecided

Broken

xLOSERx

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2004, 08:18:54 PM »

The sum of all I have to say is I love the KJV, and the truth remains, (keeping in mind I am not saying there are no other versions that are acceptable) we must be careful what we accept to be the inspired word of God, always letting His spirit bear witness in this matter, for without the spirit we cannot hope to discern what is true.

Truly, I am delighted that you enjoy the KJV. It is a beautiful translation, and it has changed and enriched our modern language immensely. It is part of the English-speaking world's heritage, and it is said, it is impossible to understand English literature unless you have read it, so great has been its influence. I am very fond of it myself, and often use it simply for the beauty of its language. I was as upset as anyone when they started saying the Lord's Prayer in a modern version - for all that I understand and accept why they decided to do so (how many people, especially kids, know what "hallowed" means?).
My difference from you rests purely on the issue of whether the KJV is God's own choice of Bible, or whether it is a good translation which some people prefer over all others. The first belief is one I dislike, for the simple reason that any Bible that brings you to God is a good Bible - people can be saved through the use of any. I daresay people have been saved by reading the Jehovah's Witness bible before. I do think God can and will guide us to good translations - which is no excuse for us finding out about those translations ourselves - but I see few of the modern versions which are wrong. I would avoid the TNIV, the street bible and a few others - but the rest, I have no problem with.
That said: my favourite version is the RSV Smiley

The best bible is the one that you read.

And God will say:
I never knew you!
Never.

Bolted against me.
-Cowper
Early57

It is me

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2004, 10:08:08 PM »

22 years ago I was poor and undone
21 years ago I became rich and had no money
20 years ago I had no Bible
Then one day I was at a yard sale and bought a Bible for $2.00

Why couldn't God have a KJV sitting there if that was His only correct version left.

Why would he trick me with a NAS

Reba
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2004, 10:14:30 PM »

How do ya get a Spanish, German, Chinnese, Etc. verson of the AKJV.  

John 1:1-2
:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

2 The same was in the beginning with God.
KJV
  The above  scriptures do not mean to me the Jesus is some how  sittin on my desk, over in the book case, in the night stand, ...... nor do they mean  He is over crowded in the Amplified ...He is only partly in the living bible that is in the bathroom ( no jokes about that being a good place for it) These are  books paper and ink.

So what do we mean when we say The Word of God or Jesus is the Word  etc....

I like KJV best...

I love the language of the KJV. But I did hear of another reason that I haven't seen listed here for reading another version. I was listening to a Spanish speaking missionary who apologized for reading from the NIV - but he had trouble with English and so the NIV was actually easier for him to read from. I had never thought of that before...

Cry  sheesh read the very first line  SH  my heart is broken I shall never recover from such neglect  Cry
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2004, 12:06:40 AM »

Well, I don't think we can use providence as a determiner of the will of God. God permits things He doesn't actually approve of. Of course, I'm not saying that applies here. I'm just saying there are more reliable ways to determine the validity of a translation.

I think in looking at what makes a good Bible, we should forget entirely what we want out of it. We shouldn't choose it because we like it or it is beautiful or it's easy albeit inaccurate as free translations invariably are. We must approach the word, not for anything that pleases us, because the Bible is, by definition, God's word to us. We should be trying out what it is He is telling us. If we read something that isn't translated correctly, we will fall into sin. Look how subtle satan is in Matthew 4. Even the slightest misinterpretation can lead to serious consequences. We come to the Lord because it is His will; He chooses how He wants to use our lives, for we are His creation. God doesn't come to us on our terms. We go to Him on His. Wink
« Last Edit: February 21, 2004, 12:08:54 AM by Whitehorse » Logged

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2004, 01:00:41 AM »

psst BEP...Irish recieved a transformation  

I`m not really concerned about this being a touchy subject, I know why I use the KJV as my sole reference, simply because  every verse, every passage, has been tried, tested, and found to be truth, according to the witness of the Spirit of it`s author.  I know of no other version that has withstood the test of time as this one has.

Oklahoma Howdy to Shylynne,

UM??, would the transformed IrishAngel be you? If so,

Welcome Back!

If not, I still agree with what you said above.

Love In Christ,
Tom

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2004, 01:13:14 AM »

How do ya get a Spanish, German, Chinnese, Etc. verson of the AKJV.

Oklahoma Howdy to Reba,

If the person needing these languages has a computer, I think that all of these languages are available free of charge with e-Sword.

If you are needing these languages in books, I think that I can get Spanish in my city of 110,000 people. For the other languages, I think you would have to either special order it or find some huge Christian Book Store somewhere. I hope this helped some.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the