Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 07:54:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286821 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Christian Love In Our Posts
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Christian Love In Our Posts  (Read 5269 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2003, 10:28:10 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to All,

I wanted to make a very general comment, certainly not directed at anyone. This is something I am struggling with, so if the thoughts are directed at anyone, let it be me. How do we discuss differences with other Brothers and Sisters in Christ? Do we let those differences divide us and alienate ourselves from each other, or can we discuss differences in love, knowing that our personal beliefs are a very strong, sensitive, and personal issue.

I have failed many times with this and have asked God for forgiveness and guidance. I'm convicted to say there should be a first question in mind when discussing controversial issues. For me, it is "am I discussing a controversial issue with a Brother or Sister in Christ?" If I answer this question "Yes", I feel directed and convicted to discuss or reply with a primary interest that I am talking with another child of God.

I think that we can all learn a lot in our differences if we are able to do so in love. I point first at myself and suggest this should be a matter of prayer for all of us.

Love In Christ,
Tom
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 12:09:37 PM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

Left Coast

It's all His work

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2003, 01:57:03 PM »

I have found that I have been in error so many times in my life that it is foolish to think I am always right now. Pride is mans greatest enemy when it comes to the gospel.
The biggest change in my life came when I let the scripture be a reproof of my doctrine; instead of letting my doctrine be a reproof of scripture.
A sense of humor and a thick skin are the best defense when discussing religion, politics, or sports, in a forum like this.
We are anonymous here. Some are ignoramus here. Smiley This makes some behave in a way they would not if they talked to you face to face.
If you search through the garbage sometimes you can find a treasure.
It would be nice if people did not use personal attacks, but they will.
What gets to me is the number of people that feel they know everything the bible has to say.
I am amazed at the tremendous depth of Gods word. If I could study 10 hours a day 7 days a week I don’t feel I would scratch the surface in my life time.
Often I will hear something that does not add up, I welcome it because it causes me to turn to the word to check out where they are coming from.
I have loved ones that believe different things, some believe as I hear in the forums and this gives me an understanding of how to deal with them.
It is frustrating sometimes when someone understands so much and yet they cannot seem to grasp a truth that I understand, I hope that the same is not true of me.
I know that if it is Gods will He will give us the understanding we need.
I have read verses of scripture time and time again suddenly the light bulb goes on; God has allowed me to understand.
Perhaps God will let that person on the other side of the internet understand what you believe, perhaps He will let you understand what they believe.
If you see the obvious; praise God.
Personal attacks generally show a weakness in the attacker. I’ll go toe to toe with someone but it seems like a waste of time.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 12:10:54 PM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

Luke 24:45  Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,
John 6:29  Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2004, 02:04:28 PM »

I think Tom is saying....

"We're gonna Love each other, and Like it!!!"  lol

Just teasing ya Tom.   Cheesy

All wonderful verses about love that should be applied to our lives and posts.  

Grace and Peace....AND LOVE!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 11:41:36 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2004, 02:58:12 PM »

To speak more about the new command that Christ gave us, as well the scripture that has been posted by Tom....

As christians, what is the best way to disagree and still show Love towards one another, especially when posting in the forum?

I know I have difficulty with this at times.  This could be a good excercise for us all.

Any suggestions?

Grace and Peace!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 11:43:09 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

Tim

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2004, 06:41:34 PM »

To speak more about the new command that Christ gave us, as well the scripture that has been posted by Tom....

As christians, what is the best way to disagree and still show Love towards one another, especially when posting in the forum?

I know I have difficulty with this at times.  This could be a good excercise for us all.

Any suggestions?

Grace and Peace!

Oklahoma Howdy to 2nd Timothy,

Brother, this is exactly what I've been thinking about and praying about for weeks. The Scriptures seem to speak for themselves. I'm not sure that I'm ready to put things in my own words yet. I think it would be very interesting to see many opinions on this.

I will start with a beginning thought that I don't believe anyone will have any problems with.

First, what is the primary purpose of Christians Unite? This is and should be a place where Christians of various denominations can have fellowship, build each other up in God's Word, encourage each other to walk in the Spirit, share our times of joy or trial, pray for each other, and please God in our Christian fellowship with each other. This is the easy part. The hard part is how each one of us works together in achieving this. I think the ultimate answer must have Christian Love as the core.

Things are obviously more difficult in a situation where written words are the form of communication. The smilies might help to convey emotion, but they fall far short. Maybe one easy answer might be the old and tried "How would I wish to be treated?" Another might be the simple and true Scripture, "A soft answer turneth away wrath."

I'd really like to see the ideas of others.

Love In Christ,
Tom
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 11:44:23 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2004, 08:12:52 AM »

Any suggestions?

Grace and Peace!

Brother, this is exactly what I've been thinking about and praying about for weeks. The Scriptures seem to speak for themselves. I'm not sure that I'm ready to put things in my own words yet. I think it would be very interesting to see many opinions on this.

I will start with a beginning thought that I don't believe anyone will have any problems with.

First, what is the primary purpose of Christians Unite? This is and should be a place where Christians of various denominations can have fellowship, build each other up in God's Word, encourage each other to walk in the Spirit, share our times of joy or trial, pray for each other, and please God in our Christian fellowship with each other. This is the easy part. The hard part is how each one of us works together in achieving this. I think the ultimate answer must have Christian Love as the core.

Things are obviously more difficult in a situation where written words are the form of communication. The smilies might help to convey emotion, but they fall far short. Maybe one easy answer might be the old and tried "How would I wish to be treated?" Another might be the simple and true Scripture, "A soft answer turneth away wrath."

I'd really like to see the ideas of others.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Perhaps this idea should be started in its own thread Tom.  I guess I did sort of hi-jack Petro's thread although that was not my intention.  Sorry Petro.   Tongue   Smiley

-hi-jack continued- Cheesy
I too would like to hear others comments about this.  I really think we could all learn from it...I know I could.

I agree with Tom, that trying to communicate via typed words leaves a lot of details out of the conversation.  It can sometimes be very impersonable.  Perhaps that alone makes it easy to say things we would not normally say.  We have a screen to hide behind, and do not see how we are possibly hurting others with our words.   I think also many times we misundertand a posters intention, and throw wood on our own fire of assumption, which leads to a heated retort (yours truly, guilty as charged).  Since others only know us by our posted words, there is a feeling of, "I must defend my wordy image, or others might think I am somehow wrong and a less knowledgable christian", since others don't know anything about me on a personal level, or see my behaviours.  All there is to go on, is the typed words and conveyed messages.  While communicating via this wonderful technology, we must learn to cope with its inadequacies as well our own.   Viewing it this way, I would say we are doing an OK job (for on-line), but there is deffinately much room for improvment.   Bringing Christian Love into our posts (as well as everyday life) is necessary for us to learn if we are to obey Jesus' command to love each other as he loved us.

Tom, I suggest starting a new thread in an appropriate forum so we can explore these issues further, in hopes of helping and learning from each other.  I'm sure many may not have even looked in this thread.

What do you think?

-end hi-jack here-  lol   Wink

Grace and Peace!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 11:46:42 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

Tim

Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2004, 09:56:14 AM »

Any suggestions?

Grace and Peace!

Yup!   Grin  At the heart of most or our disagreements is pride.  Not always, but often.  I do want to note that there is a difference in defending the faith and being proud.  But the line is often times rather fine, and more times than not, crossed.  I think that if each of us puts others first we will go alot farther.  That is, we must consider not only the other person's perspective, but we must perceive their spiritual maturity.  They may not be as mature as we are - or they may be more mature.  We must be discerning with love.

Great point guys!   Smiley
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 11:48:26 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Reba
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2004, 10:34:05 AM »

Well said  guys! Smiley

That silly coffee cup just makes me giggle  Tongue
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 11:49:54 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2004, 02:16:36 PM »

I liked it myself Reba!  It doesn't quite fit so well with me now...may have to find another... Cheesy

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2004, 05:16:37 PM »

I do want to note that there is a difference in defending the faith and being proud.  But the line is often times rather fine, and more times than not, crossed.  I think that if each of us puts others first we will go alot farther.  That is, we must consider not only the other person's perspective, but we must perceive their spiritual maturity.

Very good point.  Its easy to say "put others first", but how do you do it on a message forum?   We are expected to post our thoughts on various points, or it appears sometimes we are not listening...another disadvantage of the virtual world.   Everthing goes smooth until a disagreement on some point comes up.  This is where much of the time baby discernment goes out the window with the bath water.  Or perhaps some of us just arent that good at discernment?  A person may need to be pointed to scripture showing truth on the matter.   But of course, anyone being told they are wrong will not have a positive reaction many times.  This is true in any situation.  Here I think is where Love starts to show all its attributes (that is, if we apply it).

Of course on the other hand, sometimes we think we are right when we are not.

Its complex.  Pauls description of love...
1Co 13:4  Charity has patience, is kind; charity is not envious, is not vain, is not puffed up;
1Co 13:5  does not behave indecently, does not seek her own, is not easily provoked, thinks no evil.
1Co 13:6  Charity does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices in the truth,
1Co 13:7  quietly covers all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
1Co 13:8  Charity never fails.[...]

We fail in many areas described here.  But, with Christ in our lives, and in our posts, the above is not out of reach...perhaps only with christ are they attainable.

I've endured the man swimming in coffee for while now Allinall!  One aspect of charity I am willing to share with you at this point.

Just kidding.   Wink  I will miss him if you change it.

Tim

Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2004, 09:01:14 PM »

Amen-this is a great topic. And there's also the issue of pet pieves. That enters into the pic. I think it's true, also, that misinterpretation enters the picture a lot.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2004, 12:05:55 AM »

I liked it myself Reba!  It doesn't quite fit so well with me now...may have to find another... Cheesy

Oklahoma Howdy to Allinall,

Brother, I always thought the guy in your coffee cup was Bill Clinton doing a back-stroke.   Cheesy

Would you like me to help you find a replacement?  Cheesy

Just kidding. I appreciate fine art.   Cheesy

Love In Christ,
Tom

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2004, 12:26:12 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Allinall,

Yup!    At the heart of most or our disagreements is pride.  Not always, but often.  I do want to note that there is a difference in defending the faith and being proud.  But the line is often times rather fine, and more times than not, crossed.  I think that if each of us puts others first we will go alot farther.  That is, we must consider not only the other person's perspective, but we must perceive their spiritual maturity.  They may not be as mature as we are - or they may be more mature.  We must be discerning with love.

Brother, I think you hit the nail square on the head. There is a lot to think about in your post. In fact, there is a lot to pray about in your post. Who really knows who we are posting to on the other end. Could it be a young person trying their spiritual wings so to speak? If so, encouragement or discouragement would probably be fairly easy. The same could be true of an older person who just became a Christian. In either case, I would not wish to discourage them. Your point is excellent, "we must be discerning with love."

In fact, "discerning with love" is probably the ultimate answer for all of our posts. You already made the point there is a time to defend the faith, but "discerning with love" may still be a key element. A lot depends on the circumstances and what you may wish to accomplish with your reply. If you are trying to help a lost person, a blatant attack will be ignored. One must also remember there is a Biblical time for rebuke. There is simply much to pray about in this area, and I think it is a worthy topic of prayer for all of us.

Love In Christ,
Tom

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2004, 12:42:24 AM »

While communicating via this wonderful technology, we must learn to cope with its inadequacies as well our own.  Viewing it this way, I would say we are doing an OK job (for on-line), but there is definitely much room for improvement.  Bringing Christian Love into our posts (as well as everyday life) is necessary for us to learn if we are to obey Jesus' command to love each other as he loved us.

Tom, I suggest starting a new thread in an appropriate forum so we can explore these issues further, in hopes of helping and learning from each other.  I'm sure many may not have even looked in this thread.

Brother, thanks for the reminder we were hi-jacking another thread with this topic.   Grin

I like the way you put it in your second paragraph. Yes, Christian love is an absolute necessity in everything we do "if we are to obey Jesus' command to love each other as he loved us." I honestly believe the more we try and the more we succeed, the greater our fellowship will be with our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. This means peace and joy, precious gifts. Everyone probably knows an absolute sweetheart of a Christian who seems to succeed with Christian Love on a regular basis. Yes, I know some. Have you ever noticed how happy they are? They are exercising Christian Love, and everyone benefits, including themselves. This is one of the fruits of the Spirit.

Love In Christ,
Tom

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2004, 12:54:58 AM »

Of course on the other hand, sometimes we think we are right when we are not.

Its complex.  Paul's description of love...
1Co 13:4  Charity has patience, is kind; charity is not envious, is not vain, is not puffed up;
1Co 13:5  does not behave indecently, does not seek her own, is not easily provoked, thinks no evil.
1Co 13:6  Charity does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices in the truth,
1Co 13:7  quietly covers all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
1Co 13:8  Charity never fails.[...]

Brother, thanks for this beautiful portion of Scripture. There is great beauty and truth in this passage. This is one of many cases where man's words can't compare to the Scriptures. Maybe we could all paste this portion of Scripture near our computer monitor, and read it several times per day. We should also remember these words with our face to face contacts with friends, family, and all who we talk to every day. Now I'm thinking of the little Sunday School song that I love so much, "This little light of mine, I'm going to let it shine." Isn't the light powered by love and charity, in and through our precious Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ? I realize this is a very simple example, but I like it.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the