Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 01:01:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286821 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Did you remember to set clocks back 1 hour?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did you remember to set clocks back 1 hour?  (Read 4921 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: November 04, 2007, 10:42:16 AM »

Did you remember to set clocks back 1 hour?
Daylight Savings Time ends week later this year in effort to reduce energy consumption

It's time once again to reset the clocks and savor an extra hour of slumber as daylight saving time comes to an end a week later than usual.

Daylight saving time ended Sunday at 2 a.m.

Because of the Energy Policy Act of 2005, daylight saving time started three weeks early and ends a week later this year as part of a federally-mandated effort to reduce energy consumption.

The effort may be in vain according to some.

The new time change schedule has thrown people off and even computers have needed help, with many automatically switching back a Sunday too early.

During the March time change Microsoft worked to mitigate confusion and problems by issuing a patch and adding automatic updates.

"Thanks to the efforts put forth by many information technology heroes who were instrumental in minimizing impact and confusion during the first DST transition in March, there was marginal impact," according to a statement issued by Microsoft. "However, we continue to work closely with customers and others in the industry to help ensure a smooth and seamless transition worldwide this fall on Nov. 4th."

"The majority of customers who applied patches earlier this year and who have Automatic Updates enabled are in good shape," Microsoft advised.

A website has been setup to help Microsoft customers with the new daylight saving time schedule, which can be found at: http://www.microsoft.com/time.

Pacific Gas and Electric Co. spokesman Brian Swanson said the energy company can expect to save 1 million kilowatt-hours of electricity daily across its central and northern California system during the extra week of daylight saving time. The average daily usage for the system is 200 million kilowatt-hours, a savings of about one-half percent.

"The energy savings we see in the evening are offset because customers are using more energy in the morning as they get ready for school and work," Swanson said.

To further help save energy this winter, PG&E recommends people install motion sensor lighting, clean and inspect gas furnaces, install programmable thermostats and light timers.

Ryan Kellogg, a Ph.D. student and researcher at University of California, Berkeley's Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, said that a study he co-authored on energy consumption in Australia in 2000 shows little difference in electricity use between two neighboring states, only one of which adopted daylight saving time.

The 2005 policy, Kellogg said, is based on energy use patterns in the U.S. during the oil crisis of the early 1970s, when a recession and other conservation efforts may have contributed to a drop in electricity use.

"This really doesn't make a difference," Kellogg said about the extended daylight saving time and energy conservation. "I'm pretty skeptical there's going to be a benefit. Microsoft has had to issue patches, these things cost money. This is something we should stop tinkering with."

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 11:02:52 AM »

Well THANK YOU Pastor Roger!  I was just coming down here to ask the question that you have just answered.  My computer was way off this morning and I see that my posts are timed an hour earlier than the time that I thought it was!  I guess I really didn't sleep in this morning as much as I thought I did.
Boy, am I off.  Of course you could probably find some that would say that I'm "off" ALL the time!  Grin Grin

Let us fight the good fight!
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 11:25:25 AM »

Of course you could probably find some that would say that I'm "off" ALL the time!  Grin Grin

You aren't?   Grin Grin Grin Lips Sealed Lips Sealed

My wife told me about the time change yesterday but I had forgotten about it myself until I saw my watch didn't match the time on my computer.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Littleboy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2007, 12:17:20 PM »

Nope, I hav'nt even looked at the clock...
Thank you I'll go look and see if my wife did it!
HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2007, 12:55:11 PM »

You aren't?   Grin Grin Grin Lips Sealed Lips Sealed

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 01:13:08 PM »

Hmmm  ... death by chocolate.   Grin Grin

Jon-Marc

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 01:44:40 PM »

I didn't know we were supposed to change them today. I thought I got up too late for church, and by the time I realized what time it was, it WAS too late! I just changed the last of my clocks a few minutes ago. Oh well, at least there's an evening service. Grin

Secure in Christ--Holy Spirit in me.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 02:56:58 PM »

Nope I didn't set my clocks back an hour. Course here in Arizona, we don't recognize daylight saving time. Grin Grin Grin Grin

Littleboy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 03:02:37 PM »

Huh
No wonder i did'nt think about it Grin Grin
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 03:18:38 PM »

Huh

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 03:20:56 PM »

Huh

Now the question is did you set them back?   Grin Grin Grin Grin

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 05:43:16 PM »

Huh

Littleboy!  You're cracking me up!  Are you in Ariz. too?!
When I lived there I thought it made the best the sense to NOT participate in Daylight Savings Time.  It really doesn't make sense anyway.  Time is what it is.  Period.  I know why they started the whole gig, but it's just not necessary.

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 05:53:20 PM »

Hey!  Looky me!  Shocked
I just made Sr. Member!  Not to be confused with Senior Citizen ya'll!  Grin
Just goes to show that you really don't have to know anything; just be full of hot air and flap your jaws!  Cheesy Roll Eyes Cheesy

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 06:04:34 PM »

Alright! Congratulations on being another yak-a-lot.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

That rocky chair looks like the one my grandma had. I loved sittin' in that chair of an evening.

Littleboy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2007, 06:37:34 PM »

No sir, Did'nt even look @ the clock this morning....
That would have been really funny Brother! Smiley

I've never been accused of being the sharpest tool in the shed Grin Grin

Yes ma'am i can almost hit the Colo. River from my house and congradulations on being a Sr. Member!
That kinda looks like my old porch in TX.?

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==-==-==-======-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Dangers arise after daylight savings
Saturday, November 03, 2007By Ted RoelofsThe Grand Rapids Press
Runners and bikers, take heed.

The end of daylight savings Sunday makes it more dangerous for you, especially in the murky first hour of darkness.

Research from the University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute confirms pedestrians and cyclists are at greater risk of serious injury from a motor vehicle crash in the weeks following a return to standard time.

Congress this year added three weeks of daylight-saving time to spring and one week to fall, extending it to the first Sunday in November. That means set your clock back one hour tonight and expect sunset tomorrow at the unwelcome time of 5:31 p.m.

"Drivers should always be alert for pedestrians and bicyclists, but even more so in low light or dark conditions," said Kirk T. Steudle, director of the state Transportation Department.

Last year, 2,096 pedestrians were injured and 137 killed as a result of crashes involving motor vehicles. This crash data places Michigan among the top 15 states in the nation with the highest pedestrian/vehicle rates.

The added daylight-saving time was championed by U.S. Rep. Fred Upton, R-St. Joseph, who touted its potential energy savings.

It cost an estimated $500 million to $1 billion to set in place and messed up the clocks of thousands of computers.

The jury is still out on the energy bill.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 06:51:00 PM by Littleboy » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the