Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 11:36:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286822 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Politics and Political Issues (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Pelosi scuttles measure requiring English on the job
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pelosi scuttles measure requiring English on the job  (Read 3156 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« on: November 23, 2007, 01:08:21 PM »

Pelosi scuttles measure requiring English on the job

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-California) has killed an amendment that would protect employers from discrimination lawsuits when requiring their workers to speak English.

The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) sued The Salvation Army in April because one of the charity's thrift stores in Boston requires its employees to speak English on the job. The federal lawsuit prompted Senator Lamar Alexander (R-Tennessee) to offer an amendment making it lawful for an employer to require an employee to speak English. The measure was adopted by the Senate and the House, with the House instructing its conferees to agree with the Senate position and make it federal law. However at the request of the Congressional Hispanic Caucus, Speaker Pelosi has stripped the English-only amendment from the Commerce-Justice-Science spending bill.

Last week, Alexander took to the Senate floor and blasted the EEOC for its claim that English-only workplace policies violate the 1964 Civil Rights Act. "In plain English, Madame President, this means that thousands of small businesses across America -- the shoe shop, the drug store, the filling station, any company -- would have to be prepared to make their case to the federal agency and perhaps hire a lawyer to show there is some special reason to justify requiring their employees to speak our country's common language on the job," says Alexander.

He also calls the EEOC stance a "gross distortion of the Civil Rights Act" and a "complete misunderstanding of what it means to be an American."

According to Hispanic caucus member Luis Gutierrez, a strong proponent of amnesty for illegal aliens, the Alexander amendment is rooted in "bigotry and prejudice." The EEOC claims the non-English speaking women at the Boston Salvation Army should be able to keep their jobs because employees do not need to speak English in order to fold clothes.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 01:13:52 PM »

33 Senators Voted Against English as America's Official Language June 6, 2007

On Wed, 6 June, 2007 23:35:23 -0500, 'Colonel Harry Riley USA ret' wrote:

Your vote against an amendment to the Immigration Bill 1348, to make English America's official language is astounding. On D-Day no less when we honor those that sacrificed in order to secure the bedrock character and principles of America I can only surmise your vote reflects a loyalty to illegal aliens.

I don't much care where you come from, what your religion is, whether you're black, white or some other color, male or female, democrat, republican or independent, but I do care when you're a United States Senator, representing citizens of America and vote against English as the official language of the United States

Your vote reflects betrayal, political surrender, violates your pledge of allegiance, dishonors historical principle, rejects patriotism, borders on traitorous action and, in my opinion, makes you unfit to serve as a United States Senator... impeachment, recall, or other appropriate action is warranted.

Worse, 4 of you voting against English as America 's official language are presidential candidates: Senator Biden, Senator Clinton, Senator Dodd, and Senator Obama.

Those 4 Senators vying to lead America but won't or don't have the courage to cast a vote in favor of English as America's official language when 91% of American citizens want English officially designated as our language.

This is the second time in the last several months this list of Senators have disgraced themselves as political hacks ... unworthy as Senators and certainly unqualified to serve as President of the United States.

If America is as angry as I am, you will realize a back-lash so stunning it will literally rock you out of your panties... and preferably, totally out of the United States Senate.

The entire immigration bill is a farce ... your action only confirms this really isn't about America; it's about self-serving politics ... despicable at best.

'Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.' anonymous

The following senators voted against making English the official language of America :

Akaka
(D-HI)

Bayh
(D-IN)

Biden (D-DE) Wants to be President?

Bingaman
(D-NM)

Boxer
(D-CA)

Cantwell
(D-WA)

Clinton (D-NY) Wants to be President?

Dayton
(D-MN)

Dodd (D-CT) Wants to be President?

Domenici
(R-NM) Coward, protecting his Senate seat...

Durbin
(D-IL)

Feingold
(D-WI) Not unusual for him

Feinstein
(D-CA)

Harkin
(D-IA)

Inouye
(D-HI)

Jeffords
(I-VT)

Kennedy
(D-MA)

Kerry (D-MA) Wanted to be President

Kohl
(D-WI)

Lautenberg
(D-NJ)

Leahy
(D-VT)

Levin
(D-MI)

Lieberman
(D-CT) Disappointment here.....

Menendez
(D-NJ)

Mikulski
(D-MD)

Murray
(D-WA)

Obama (D-IL) Wants to be President?

Reed
(D-RI)

Reid (D-NV) Senate Majority Leader

Salazar
(D-CO)

Sarbanes
(D-MD)

Schumer
(D-NY)

Stabenow
(D-M)

'Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged.' - President Abraham Lincoln

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2007, 01:36:37 PM »

'Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged.' - President Abraham Lincoln

All the above voters are those that are going for the illegal alien vote.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2007, 12:10:25 PM »

should be able to keep their jobs because employees do not need to speak English in order to fold clothes.

They are correct...they do not need to speak english in order to fold clothes...matter of fact they do not even need to speak...we could have a mute that can only sign in German and read in French...I am sure they will have read the employee handbook and know all the rules and never have to talk to anyone else that has to work there and get along with everyone and join in all the fun.

What a crock.  I actually have a job where I have to talk to people.  But there are thousands of jobs out there where to do the actual job you were hired for you would not have to talk to anyone...unless a problem comes up and you have to explain it to your supervisor.  If you cannot speak the language how can you explain a situation? 

People used to come to America to become an American.  Now people come to America to have what American's have but they get to try and keep their nationality (Mexican, German, whatever)...what they fail to realize is that becoming an American means just that, become an American.  If this country was to basically become Mexico, then it would be Mexico...it would just be a much larger Mexico with snow in the North.

What makes this country great is our ability to merge other nationalities into ours.  You can come from anywhere and believe anything.  And this country will accept you.  But you have to merge into this country not try and turn this country into yours.

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 03:07:45 PM »

They are correct...they do not need to speak english in order to fold clothes...matter of fact they do not even need to speak...we could have a mute that can only sign in German and read in French...

Careful brother, I do talk in A.S.L., but I do know where you are coming from. For those of you that don't know what A.S.L. is thats short for, "American Sign Language."

Brother Jerry
Global Moderator
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 11:16:03 AM »

But we could not have it ASL either...because that would be discrimination...you would have to develop a universal sign language or learn to sign in every language.....  Cheesy

Sincerely
Brother Jerry

------
I am like most fathers.  I, like most, want more for my children than I have.

I am unlike most fathers.  What I would like my children to have more of is crowns to lay at Jesus feet.
Rhys

The chief end of man is to glorify God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 11:39:24 AM »

Perhaps Congress should carry out discussions in 5 or 6 different languages - then they wouldn't even be able to vote on measures like this!
Actually, they couldn't get any less productive than they are now  Angry

My blog: http://rhys02.blogspot.com/
My website: http://tkrice.tripod.com/

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths Prov. 3: 5,6

Member in good standing: Rednecks for Jesus
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 02:27:29 PM »

But we could not have it ASL either...because that would be discrimination...you would have learn to sign in every language.....  Cheesy

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

There are over 5000 signs for A.S.L., and I don't know them all. Could you imagination trying to learn signs for the whole world. Shocked Shocked

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 09:42:30 AM »

U.S. sues Salvation Army for speaking English

The headline is correct. The Federal Government has filed suit
against the Salvation Army and is targeting other businesses
that require employees to speak English on the job.

The Salvation Army Thrift Store being targeted by the Equal
Opportunities Commission (EEOC) clearly posted its "speak English"
requirements and gave employees one year to learn the language.
But the EEOC still filed suit saying this was a "civil
rights" violation.

And it's getting worse. Last year, over 200 similar charges
were filed with the EEOC -- up from just a handful ten years ago.

+ + Nancy Pelosi sides with EEOC’s anti-English attacks

To make matters worse, Nancy Pelosi and Congress' Hispanic
Caucus have teamed up to block an effort to put an end to
the EEOC's attacks on businesses that require English.

Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-TN) proposed a provision to the Commerce,
Justice, Science Appropriations Bill (HR 3093, S. 1745) that
would prevent the EEOC from such legal attacks.  The full Senate
passed the bill--with the Alexander provision. The House also
greed to the amendment, but later withdrew support after the
Hispanic Caucus threatened to stonewall other House bills unless
the provision was removed. Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi
agreed, saying the House will not vote on the bill until the
English language provision is terminated.

In other words, Pelosi and a small group of Congressmen
are defending the EEOC's efforts to sue organizations like the
Salvation Army that require English on the job!

It's time to contact our Representatives once again. We need to also flood Nancy Pelosi and the Hispanic Caucus and let them know that "English is spoken here". Let's get the Alexander
provision moved forward intact.

Call Nancy Pelosi and demand she move H.R. 3093 forward with the Alexander provision.

Here is her contact information: 202/225-4965

Contact the EEOC:

By phone:
    1-800-669-4000
If you have a TTY device for hearing impaired:
    TTY number is 1-800-669-6820
By Email:
    Please include your zip code and/or city and state so that your email will be sent to the appropriate office.
    info@ask.eeoc.gov

Congressional Hispanic Caucus Chair Joe Baca

http://www.house.gov/baca/zipauth.shtml

HisDaughter
Global Moderator
Gold Member

No Condemnation in Him

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 06:45:30 PM »

Thanks for the contact info Pastor Roger.  I'm on it!

PS)  I'm just finished up work and thought I'd pop in to see what I'm missing!  Just a nosey old woman!
Got my phone bill paid and should be up and running at home again in 24 to 48 hours!  Grin

In Christ,
Grammyluv  Wink

Let us fight the good fight!
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 07:37:28 PM »

PS)  I'm just finished up work and thought I'd pop in to see what I'm missing!  Just a nosey old woman!

I'll be nice. I won't go there.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Got my phone bill paid and should be up and running at home again in 24 to 48 hours!  Grin

In Christ,
Grammyluv  Wink

That's great news. You will still be missed until then.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2007, 08:32:56 PM »

I think that the American people, regardless of how many languages they speak, have just about had all they can stand of ridiculous nonsense like this.

There's going to be a backlash, and I think that it's already started. The results are going to be the opposite of what Pelosi and dimwits want. Anyone with more than one brain cell in their head knows how to avoid problems like this forever. Believe me - it isn't what Spanish speaking people want. Many people who speak more than one language have already figured this out, so their intelligence level is much higher than that of Pelosi and dimwits.

Many generations of immigrants have come here and were smart enough to be assimilated and became more than just productive members of society. In many cases, they became leaders of society and wealthy. If someone doesn't want to be assimilated into this society, great amounts of help will be given to get them out of it, regardless of how many law suits they file. Again, it only takes a few brain cells to avoid or win these law suits. Sooner or later, the idiots filing law suits of this type will close all kinds of doors for themselves and many others like them. In other words, they will greatly hurt all Spanish speaking people, LEGAL OR NOT. Why would any employer want to expose themselves to this kind of problem when it's so easy to avoid. GUESS HOW. Let's just say that a new law won't fix the problem they are causing for themselves. Most of the roadblock will be of their own construction. Legal and illegal immigrants need to wise up. We speak English here, and they can speak however many languages they want at home or away from work - OR GO BACK TO THEIR HOME COUNTRY.

AND, filing a law suit against the Salvation Army isn't very smart. These folks might as well go on home.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 11:28:00 PM »

Arizona's English only law states that not only is English Arizona's official language, but that all government business must be transacted in "English and in no other language." The requirement also extends to all government documents. Thanks to the "Arizona Supreme Court", they have said the law is illegal, even though it was voted in by the people of Arizona.

Yes Arizona's was by far the most restrictive, then that of other states. Since Arizona's law was passed and almost immediately taken to court. The main impact of these measures, has created a hostile climate here for Arizona population that speak English. The illegals population say I want......., well I want don't work anymore with me. If they can't speak English, then they need to hire a speaker for themselves.

I am Bilingual, so I don't feel, I HAVE TO LEARN ANOTHER LANGUAGE!! If they can't speak in ASL, or English then thats their problem.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 11:35:41 PM »

One of many reasons to know English in the U.S.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2007, 12:45:04 AM »

Grin   Grin   Grin    ROFL!

I can think of MUCH worse problems involving the same substance - confusing Bengay with Preparation H.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the