Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 21, 2024, 10:21:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286832 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Can women preach?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can women preach?  (Read 2658 times)
Shemaya
« on: November 27, 2004, 06:23:38 PM »

Is God okay with that.Can a woman be a minister or only men?
MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2004, 09:27:34 PM »

The first person to  "preach"/share/bring/announce/proclaim/herald the news of Jesus resurrection/the Good News/the Gospel was Mary Magdelene  Grin

John 20:11 ¶ But Mary stood outside of the tomb, weeping. And as she wept, she stooped down into the tomb.
12 And she saw two angels in white sitting there, the one at the head and the other at the feet, where the body of Jesus had lain.
13 And they said to her, Woman, why do you weep? She said to them, Because they have taken away my Lord, and I do not know where they have laid Him.
14 And when she had said this, she turned backward and saw Jesus standing, but she did not know that it was Jesus.
15 Jesus said to her, Woman, why do you weep? Whom do you seek? Supposing Him to be the gardener, she said to Him, Sir, if you have carried Him away from here, tell me where you have laid Him and I will take Him away.
16 Jesus said to her, Mary! She turned herself and said to Him, Rabboni! (which is to say, Master!)
17 Jesus said to her, Do not touch Me, for I have not yet ascended to My Father. But go to My brothers and say to them, I ascend to My Father and Your Father, and to My God and your God. 18 Mary Magdalene came and told the disciples that she had seen the Lord and that He had spoken these things to her.

Shalom, Nana

Be mindful of the prisoners, as having been bound with them; of those ill-treated, as also being in the body yourselves.  Hebrews 13:3
Evangelist
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2004, 11:09:23 PM »

And the first "evangelist" of the NT period was a Samaritan woman.

If the only thing a woman can do is sing, or give testimony, then why do you suppose that no one (including Paul) ever told that to Phoebe, or Cenchrea, or Junia, or.....gasp! Priscilla?

In case any one has missed it (and many seem to have), Phoebe was a DEACON(ess) of the church, Junia was called an APOSTLE by Paul, Cenchrea was a "fellow laborer in the Gospel" (I don't think that means she just picked up the music books after the service), and Priscilla TAUGHT (along with her husband, Aquila) the apostle APOLLOS.

And then there was Timothy's mother and grandmother.

BroHank
John 8:12 Ministries  www.john812.com
The Beymers  www.thebeymers.org
MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2004, 11:12:18 PM »

And the first "evangelist" of the NT period was a Samaritan woman.

If the only thing a woman can do is sing, or give testimony, then why do you suppose that no one (including Paul) ever told that to Phoebe, or Cenchrea, or Junia, or.....gasp! Priscilla?

In case any one has missed it (and many seem to have), Phoebe was a DEACON(ess) of the church, Junia was called an APOSTLE by Paul, Cenchrea was a "fellow laborer in the Gospel" (I don't think that means she just picked up the music books after the service), and Priscilla TAUGHT (along with her husband, Aquila) the apostle APOLLOS.

And then there was Timothy's mother and grandmother.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Yessssssssssss  Wink

Be mindful of the prisoners, as having been bound with them; of those ill-treated, as also being in the body yourselves.  Hebrews 13:3
MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2004, 12:04:31 AM »

if it is ok for a woman to be a missionary, then she is preaching the gospel.

the reason you cannot find a woman "preacher" listed by your definition in the NT is that preaching/teaching, as defined by today's standards is not the same as it was then.

we tend to put the NT teachings on sharing the gospel, worship services, and giving on how we do them today.  This is a far cry from the actual way it was done in the first century.

pastors did not go to seminary, nor did they hold a salaried position, nor were they given an authoritarian position within the body of Messiah.  pastors were servants of the community of believers.  they oversaw as others taught.  As Paul instructed - sharing psalms, hyms, a word, etc.  it was a home church environment where everyone [men and women] broke bread together and learned from each other.

Shalom, Nana

MalkyEL

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2004, 12:25:43 AM »

But I am talking about a woman representing other men and woman before God in the Pasorial position; God never gave that position to a woman, never.
 Wink

maybe it would help if you could clarify what a pastorial position is [scripturally] - thanx  Cool

Shalom, Nana

Patzt

I'm a blood bought child of God!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2004, 12:27:06 AM »

Is God okay with that.Can a woman be a minister or only men?

To answer your question simply, I would have to say "No".

I believe that the scripture says that women should not be in a position to rule over men in the church.  

But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.
1 Timothy 2:12

Personally, I see the role of a woman as a personal worker with other women or younger men.  I see this happening one on one or on the Mission field where there are no capable men to do the job.

I see nothing wrong with a woman being a deaconess.  I think that this would be scriptural.  Women have such an important role--especially older women--comforting younger women and encouraging them in how to live the Christian life.

This is a role that is definitely lacking today.

Proverbs 31 is a good chapter for women.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 12:31:20 AM by Patzt » Logged

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2004, 01:00:52 AM »

Phebe was called a servant (Rom 16:1) Here the exact meaning in Greek for the word servant is not clear: (An attendant, that is, (generally) a waiter (at table or in other menial duties); specifically a Christian teacher and pastor (technically a deacon or deaconess): - deacon, minister, servant.)   Then a succourer (assistant) (Rom 16:2).

Cenchrea was a church at which Phebe was a servant located in the city of Cenchrea which is in Corinth. Is there a woman by this name also, none that I could find?

Junia was indeed called an apostle along with Andronicus and also called a kinsmen. (Rom 16:7)

Priscilla along with her husband Aquilla were called his helpers in Christ Jesus by Paul in Rom 16:3.

I see many places where women have a place of service in the church but never a primary position.

Did these women preach? Perhaps but to who, other women, children? Apparently not to the men of the church according to I Tim 2 and other NT teachings.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2004, 09:19:02 AM »

It's not a matter of ability or who's better.  It's a matter of the order God set.  Yes, Phoebe was a Deaconess (which is why my church now has women deacons).  But it's important to note that the office of diakoneo (diakonos in Phoebe's case) is one of a servant - not an elder/bishop/pastor.  In every case, when speaking of this office, it is filled by male leadership.  Paul asserts this.  Not because men are better.  Geesh!  All ya gotta do is listen to a Godly woman give a testimony to realize that much.  Rather that God has set up His plan for leadership, in the home, and in the church.  You can't have a church without gifted women.  But that assembly is to be shephered by a man.

Can women preach?  Yup!  Is there an order in which they are to use that gift?  Most certainly.   Smiley

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2004, 01:11:29 PM »

Never was there a woman to stand in the gap between God and men.

It depends on what you mean by the gap between God and men.  There was Deborah, a prophetess of God.  When Barak feared to go out without her, she assisted in his leadership.  However, she was a prophetess.  Prophets, like those you listed, were go-betweens.  Sorry for playing devil's advocate, but it is nonetheless true.  Smiley

Which leads me to another point:

What then, brothers? When you come together, each one has a hymn, a lesson, a revelation, a tongue, or an interpretation. Let all things be done for building up.  If any speak in a tongue, let there be only two or at most three, and each in turn, and let someone interpret.  But if there is no one to interpret, let each of them keep silent in church and speak to himself and to God.  Let two or three prophets speak, and let the others weigh what is said.  If a revelation is made to another sitting there, let the first be silent.  For you can all prophesy one by one, so that all may learn and all be encouraged, and the spirits of prophets are subject to prophets.  For God is not a God of confusion but of peace.As in all the churches of the saints, the women should keep silent in the churches. For they are not permitted to speak, but should be in submission, as the Law also says. If there is anything they desire to learn, let them ask their husbands at home. For it is shameful for a woman to speak in church.
Or was it from you that the word of God came? Or are you the only ones it has reached?  If anyone thinks that he is a prophet, or spiritual, he should acknowledge that the things I am writing to you are a command of the Lord.  If anyone does not recognize this, he is not recognized.  So, my brothers, earnestly desire to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in tongues.  But all things should be done decently and in order.

1 Corinthians 14:26-40

This passage is used to explain why women aren't to preach often times.  I agree with it, but from a different perspective.  Paul, to begin with, is focusing on prophesying.  Are women not to prophesy?  Weeeeellll...

And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: and on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy:

Acts 2:17-18

...and...

And the next day we that were of Paul's company departed, and came unto Caesarea: and we entered into the house of Philip the evangelist, which was one of the seven; and abode with him. And the same man had four daughters, virgins, which did prophesy.  And as we tarried there many days, there came down from Judaea a certain prophet, named Agabus.

Acts 21:8-10

Clearly, it's not a matter of ability, or gift.  Women have the gift and clearly were encouraged to use it.  How then do we factor in the "keeping silent" part?

We must contextually look at what is being said.  For starters, Paul says women are to keep silent in "church."  Bad translation.  He says that women are to keep silent in the ecclesia or assembly.  He's not talking about the service time.  He's talking about the local body of believers, and the body of Christ as a whole.  I find it most interesting to consider exactly what Paul was talking about in the 1 Corinthians passage.  He says that when they all got together, many had a prophesy to give, or many had a tongue to speak in, or too few wanted to interpret.  Basically, they had a mess of confusion!  He told them to bring order to the process.  Let two or three speak and the rest shut up until next time.  He's speaking not only of keeping order, but doing things decently and in order.  And in so doing, he says that women are to keep silent.  

That word is interesting.  It means to hold one's peace.  It's not that women can't.  It's that women aren't suppose to.  It's not that they never can speak.  It's that there is an order in which God expects each gift to be used to the edifying of His Bride.   Smiley

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
wrg

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2004, 05:00:05 PM »

Undecided  I think ther is a differance in preaching and having authority over others.  I have authority over my wife, but that doesnt mean she cant bring to me a word of truth, infact sometimes she give me the truth with both barrels! Embarrassed
2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2004, 09:46:20 PM »

infact sometimes she give me the truth with both barrels!

ROFL....You and me both friend!   Welcome to CU wrg!

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
Bern

I don't think I'm a llama...

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2004, 04:57:03 PM »

It often strikes me that with passages that are hard to digest are these days explained away by culture. I often hear the phrase " oh come on, this is the 21st century". So what? What does that have to do with anything? God is the same yesterday today and forever. What he said then is applicable today.

I personally believe Silver is correct. There is a place for everyone in the church. Leadership is male. simple as that. As the bible says of elders/ bishops:

1 Timothy 3:2  A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;

Titus 1:6  If any be blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of riot or unruly.

Can a woman be the husband of one wife?

I'm not so sure about the translation of deacon here, so I would let this one slide..
1 Timothy 3:12  Let the deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well.

I personally believe all believers are instructed to exhort and admonish each other, thats healthy. What is not healthy is when women are in positions of leadership under normal circumstances.

I do however believe in extremem circumstances that God does raise up women to do a leadership task when no men are able or willing.. but these are the exceptions to the rule, not the yardstick to measure by.

Romans 8:28  And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
Shemaya
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2004, 06:50:20 PM »

thanks people.That helps.I have another question though can women preach to other women.I know now that men should represent everyone,but isn't ok for her to just preach to other women?
Bern

I don't think I'm a llama...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2004, 02:59:07 PM »

One of the key issues  in leadership lies with responsibility for the flock. That has been given to males only. I'm talking elders of the church here.

With regard to women teaching other women and children, I can't see any scripture that tells us thats wrong, I also see no problem with women correcting men if they are in error. Thats healthy for all believers.

Check out Titus 2:3-5

3 The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;
4  That they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children,
5  To be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

Titus has more about roles of adults and young people in the church aswell.

Romans 8:28  And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the