Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:24:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Welcome
| |-+  Questions, help, suggestions, and bug reports (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  All of us, who remember.....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: All of us, who remember.....  (Read 114291 times)
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: August 10, 2006, 08:56:29 AM »

How about the nasty taste of Castor oil??  YUCK!!

Yuck is right!!!! My dad used to make us take cod liver oil

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Amorus

The Lord's Apprentice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #601 on: August 10, 2006, 09:58:58 AM »

Ewww...... Code Liver oil, although I take them in a capsule form now, much like vitamine E.....very good for the organs!  I remember when Dimetap was by perscription only, and my Mom would give us that for every form of sickness!  That and vix vapor rub....haha!  The good ole days (to me anyway)!

Grin   OK - I remember the cinnamon tooth-picks like it was yesterday, so you guys must have been in the TWILIGHT ZONE during the 50s. Nearly every drugstore sold cinnamon oil. If they didn't where you lived you must have been in a different dimension - possibly somewhere near the OUTER LIMITS of the TWILIGHT ZONE.   Grin

1950's?  Sorry brother, I missed that decade, along with the one that followed and half of the one that followed that!  Grin

"The Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it."  John 1:5
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: August 10, 2006, 10:07:21 AM »

Another youngster.   Grin Grin Grin Grin

Yes ... the Vicks Vapor rub attack.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Amorus

The Lord's Apprentice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #603 on: August 10, 2006, 10:28:25 AM »

Vicks! (sorry about my spelling ha)My Mom stood by that stuff!  I still think it was made of paint thinner or something of the sort.  I'm surprised I don't have scars on my chest......LOL  Grin

"The Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it."  John 1:5
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: August 10, 2006, 10:36:23 AM »

Or hair that grows under or in the nose. The Vicks went not only on the chest but under the nose and in a special well in a vaporizer. I would rather the Vicks in the vaporizer though than some of the stuff that she used to use in it. There was some dark brown stuff she used to put in the vaporizer that stunk so bad I would gag from it. It would start out a liquid and then turn to a paste as the vaporizer worked.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
ibTina
Gold Member

Keep your eyes on JESUS!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #605 on: August 10, 2006, 11:13:29 AM »

Anyone remember getting a Sasparilla?

YES!! 

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #606 on: August 10, 2006, 11:29:04 AM »

There is a restored old west town near Sutters Mill in Calif that still serves it on tap. I used to get it at a Soda Shoppe in my hometown and couldn't find it any where for years after they closed the shoppe. While in the Navy I visited that old west toen and couldn't believe they had it.

Kris777
Gold Member

God is awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #607 on: August 10, 2006, 02:16:39 PM »

Vicks! (sorry about my spelling ha)My Mom stood by that stuff!  I still think it was made of paint thinner or something of the sort.  I'm surprised I don't have scars on my chest......LOL  Grin

My dad would make us have that stuff when our noses were stuffy.  We would hide in protest.  I really really don't like that stuff.

Romans 10:9  "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth thy Lord Jesus and believe in thy heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

Jesus is our first, last and only hope.  Without Him we would be nothing.
Amorus

The Lord's Apprentice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #608 on: August 10, 2006, 02:21:33 PM »

LOL....I forgot about the vaporizer!  That was the other thing she always brought out when we were sick.  Yes, the vicks around the nose was never my favorite, especially if it was sore from blowing all the time...ouch!

Kris777
Gold Member

God is awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #609 on: August 10, 2006, 02:23:28 PM »

LOL....I forgot about the vaporizer!  That was the other thing she always brought out when we were sick.  Yes, the vicks around the nose was never my favorite, especially if it was sore from blowing all the time...ouch!

I just didn't like that feeling of it and I definently didn't like that smell.

Romans 10:9  "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth thy Lord Jesus and believe in thy heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

Jesus is our first, last and only hope.  Without Him we would be nothing.
Amorus

The Lord's Apprentice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #610 on: August 10, 2006, 02:33:33 PM »

Yeah, it was real greasy from what I remember........kinda goopie, and it burned!!  Grin

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: August 10, 2006, 03:39:27 PM »

I still would prefer the Vicks treatment rather than the older kerosene treatment. Before Vicks kerosene was rubbed on the chest or a rag was soaked in it and the rag was then tied around the throat.

I remember when my mother finally decided to start using Vicks instead. I actuall jumped for joy.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: August 10, 2006, 06:04:33 PM »

OK - Let me try again with an old drink called a "phosphate" (sp). Again, many of the old drugstores had a soda fountain area and phosphates came in many flavors. The phosphate was on tap, and they put the flavor you chose in last. Most of the flavors were fruit flavors, and my favorite was cherry. This was something really special because most of the people just didn't have the money to buy fancy stuff like this.   Grin  Now, you can all tell me that you've never heard of anything like this.

By the way, I still think that Vick's Vapor Rub works. AND, I don't care if cod liver oil and castor oil work or not - I'm not taking it!   Grin

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: August 10, 2006, 06:18:21 PM »

Yeah .... that was the first soda's on tap. They didn't have a fancy machine to mix the sodas for them so they had to do it manually. As you said, the phosphate ( phosphoric acid }, the carbonated part of the drink, would be served from the tap and the flavors added manually. The soda shoppe I hung out in as a teen still had equipment from the 30's and 40's in it and that is how they did their sodas. The also served Ne-Hi and Coca Cola in the bottle but they cost a bit more.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: August 10, 2006, 07:48:40 PM »

Grin  Finally! - Someone else does remember some of the things I remember. I was beginning to think that I was the one in the Twilight Zone.

OH - before I forget it - THANKS to all who reminded me that everything I talk about was 40 years before they were born.   Grin

I'll just give thanks for all of you young people in Christ. It makes me happy when I think about you, and I pray for you every day.

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the