Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:24:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Welcome
| |-+  Questions, help, suggestions, and bug reports (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  All of us, who remember.....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: All of us, who remember.....  (Read 114657 times)
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: August 09, 2006, 07:44:39 AM »

Nope. Not at all like AD ointment. It is a whole lot better and stinks a whole lot worse.

It has been known for relieving athlete's foot, ringworm, toe itch, golf itch and other fungus skin irritations; also aids in removing soft corns and calluses. It was also used as a "drawing salve". If you had a splinter, thorn or piece of glass imbedded in you it would aid in drawing them back out.

I know just what you are referring to PR, it's a black stinky ointment that draws out not just splinters and things like that, but even poison. I was bitten by a spider (don't know what kind) on my thumb once and after an hour or so my arm was swollen and started looking real bad, then you could see where the poison was spreading all the way up my arm by looking at the veins in my arm, anyways I had no health insurance at the time and a neighbor bought over her ointment and put some on the bite, in less than 8 hours my arm was back to normal

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: August 09, 2006, 10:41:37 AM »

Yep that's the stuff. Although a bit harder to find it is still available today. I have a tin of it in my medicine cupboard.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: August 09, 2006, 10:53:15 AM »

Yep that's the stuff. Although a bit harder to find it is still available today. I have a tin of it in my medicine cupboard.

Tell me the name of it again so I can try to buy it, might have to go to a mom and pop type of pharmacy to find it though.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: August 09, 2006, 11:13:17 AM »

There are various different manufacturer names it goes under. I believe Watkins or Raliegh are the most common ones but what ever the brand name it is still known as carbolic salve. I remember finding it in a Stuckeys gas market along I-40 in 1987. It can also be purchased through various internet stores.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Amorus

The Lord's Apprentice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #589 on: August 09, 2006, 11:55:32 AM »

I never heard of soaking the toothpicks in the cinnamon, but I did buy cinnamon flavored toothpicks.  I believe they have mint now as well.  My Mom use to yell at us when we had them cause she always thought we would choke on em! Shocked

"The Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it."  John 1:5
Amorus

The Lord's Apprentice

View Profile WWW
« Reply #590 on: August 09, 2006, 11:58:10 AM »

Here is one I remember as a kid that my Dad said worked for him to cure poison ivy, so he would use it on me when I played in the woods and would get covered with the stuff!
Fels Naptha Soap

"The Light shines in the darkness and the darkness has not overcome it."  John 1:5
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: August 09, 2006, 12:10:57 PM »

Fels Naptha Soap

Yep I remember that well, right along with Lysol and boric acid. If I stepped on a nail or something and had it imbeeded in my foot my mother would use concentrated liquid Lysol in a pan of really hot water as a soak. It would pull all the peices of sock and show leather out and disinfect the wound. It would also dry the wound from the inside out.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: August 09, 2006, 09:12:32 PM »

Grin   OK - I remember the cinnamon tooth-picks like it was yesterday, so you guys must have been in the TWILIGHT ZONE during the 50s. Nearly every drugstore sold cinnamon oil. If they didn't where you lived you must have been in a different dimension - possibly somewhere near the OUTER LIMITS of the TWILIGHT ZONE.   Grin

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #593 on: August 09, 2006, 09:16:35 PM »

Grin   OK - I remember the cinnamon tooth-picks like it was yesterday, so you guys must have been in the TWILIGHT ZONE during the 50s. Nearly every drugstore sold cinnamon oil. If they didn't where you lived you must have been in a different dimension - possibly somewhere near the OUTER LIMITS of the TWILIGHT ZONE.   Grin

I was born in the late 50's, so I wouldn't remember. Tongue Tongue Tongue

But I do remember Nixon resigning.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: August 09, 2006, 09:19:52 PM »

I remember the cinnamon oil but just not being used on toothpicks. Maybe that's because my folks didn't buy any toothpicks.

As for the Twilight Zone ....  I think that is where we are living today.   Grin Grin Grin

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #595 on: August 09, 2006, 10:03:25 PM »

As for the Twilight Zone ....  I think that is where we are living today.   Grin Grin Grin
Right on the edge brother, of the outer limits............... Grin Grin Grin Grin

Kris777
Gold Member

God is awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #596 on: August 10, 2006, 02:03:10 AM »

Yep I remember that well, right along with Lysol and boric acid. If I stepped on a nail or something and had it imbeeded in my foot my mother would use concentrated liquid Lysol in a pan of really hot water as a soak. It would pull all the peices of sock and show leather out and disinfect the wound. It would also dry the wound from the inside out.

Eekkk!! To much of a graphic image.  Made me cringe.  I think that is because I remember the time that me sister steped on a nail.  I never could figure out why but no matter how hurt she used to get she could still run all the way home.  Like there was even one time that she fell out of a tree, scraped her side and fractured her foot and she still ran home.

Romans 10:9  "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth thy Lord Jesus and believe in thy heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

Jesus is our first, last and only hope.  Without Him we would be nothing.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: August 10, 2006, 02:06:21 AM »

Eekkk!! To much of a graphic image.  Made me cringe.  I think that is because I remember the time that me sister steped on a nail.  I never could figure out why but no matter how hurt she used to get she could still run all the way home.  Like there was even one time that she fell out of a tree, scruded her side and fractured her foot and she still ran home.

Sounds like me and my brothers. The pain from the injuries never set in until after I got home.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #598 on: August 10, 2006, 02:44:18 AM »

How about the nasty taste of Castor oil??  YUCK!!

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #599 on: August 10, 2006, 03:55:58 AM »

My mother never made us take that nasty stuff. I do remember other medicines though. None of them tasted good like meds today do.

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 44 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the