Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:03:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  WOW! - The Year 1905
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WOW! - The Year 1905  (Read 4869 times)
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2006, 12:16:08 PM »

In some ways I think it has been a decrease in knowledge. Many of the young people don't know how to handle things in order to survive if the power goes off.

You mean if you have to put ice, in the icebox? Grin

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2006, 12:22:54 PM »

You mean if you have to put ice, in the icebox? Grin

Yep and anything that doesn't require a computer is foreign to them.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2006, 12:27:15 PM »

A Kroger store is just 3 1/2 blockes from here. I had one of my sons ask for a ride to the store. It was a beautiful warm day. I told him the car was broken down so I couldn't take him. He said "Oh man .... how am I going to get there now?" It didn't dawn on him that he could walk there.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2006, 12:27:20 PM »

( using robot voice) That does not comptue.....
resistance is futile.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2006, 12:39:11 PM »

resistance is futile.

Warning! Warning Will Smith!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2006, 11:22:04 PM »

LOL, I have a Icebox, in my old shop.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2006, 11:24:02 PM »

resistance is futile.
I see we have a Trekker/Trekkie in the forum.

Warning! Warning Will Smith!

Danger, Will Robinson Danger!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2006, 11:26:06 PM by DreamWeaver » Logged

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2006, 11:31:53 PM »

I see we have a Trekker/Trekkie in the forum.
Danger, Will Robinson Danger!

oops got that one wrong .... it must be the meds .....

Wink Wink Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2006, 12:07:05 AM »

Uh huh.........

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2006, 04:05:23 AM »

quick remedy   

DRINK COFFEE

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2006, 04:51:44 AM »

quick remedy   

DRINK COFFEE

I'm afraid there isn't enough coffee in the world when I'm having one of my moments.   Cry Cry

ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2006, 05:11:20 AM »

That was quite a year. But tell me the kid that invented popsicles,  Huh how did he freeze them Huh Cause I remember in the early 1950's I was about 3 maybe 4 years old, the 'ice man' (on a horse drawn carriage, no kidding) came by and my grandmother would buy ice from him. It was what they call 'hot ice'.

A horse drawn carriage in the early 1950s  Huh  and selling ice no less. Huh  Was that in the United States?

ollie
« Last Edit: January 16, 2006, 05:13:06 AM by ollie » Logged

Support your local Christian.
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2006, 09:30:33 AM »

A horse drawn carriage in the early 1950s  Huh  and selling ice no less. Huh  Was that in the United States?

ollie
YES!!! in New York City no less!!
And they even had the horse drawn buggy that we used to call the friut man, he sold friut, vegetables and eggs too.
 Grin  Grin  Grin
Soon after that someone came up with the idea of bringing milk to you doorstep, my dad would buy milk, eggs, and butter from him. and gas was 5 cents a gallon. And my dad used to smoke cigaretts cost him 25 cents a pack, and my dad paid $35 a month for rent. Some apartments didn't have a bathtub in the bathrooms, which were shared by at least 2 other tenants so people would buy bathtubs and put them in the kitchen. and I remember my mom used to heat water on the stove. Avery Very old stove with a big chimmney. And for heaters we used these old heating stoves that used kerosene. And sometimes the soot would leave blackmarks on the walls, we had to wash them down. The paint was lead based too. The windows were so big, they had big window sills, big enough for 2 people to sit on them.
And guess what when I had my first baby there were no such things as Pampers, which were, buy the way the first to come up with disposable diapers, and when they finally did invent Pampers they didn't even have the little stick flaps I had to use safety pins. And whats more the Doctors always used to make housecalls. ER's were only for people who were admitted by the doctor. And when someone in the neighborhood died eveyone would line up on the curb and salute and say the final goodbye to their neighbor. Funerals always drove past the deceased perseons residence. Things have changed Ollie. Now I don't know how rich people lived, but then again we were not a rich family, and before I forget, we had a puoltry store across the street, were people would go and pick out the chicken they wanted and it would be slaughtered right then and there. We had no supermarkets that I can remember of . We had a meat store a poultry, shoe store, the drug store, the general store, and the hardware store you could buy almost anythhing there. I could go on forever. Oh and we didn't even have to lock our doors a night, crime rate was very, very low. And Schools ere from kindergarten to the ninth grade and there was a dentist in every school and a real registered nurse too. Ollie those who are older than 57 can probably remember the good ole days.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2006, 11:19:56 AM »

ollie

Thats right Ollie. I'm not over 57, I am 55 but I still remember such things. Many of the poorer people still used horse drawn wagons in some cities. That was not the case in the city I was raised in which was a small farming town but I remember going to a large city nearby with my parents and seeing the fruit and ice wagons still in use there. In my town the local delivery was done by an old 1929 Ford truck. I still remember the farmers name as he went to our church. He did use horse drawn vehicles on the farm and in other rural use to save on gas.

I also remember the first "Super Market" in our town. It wasn't until 1960 and it wasn't much bigger than what some gas stations are now. In the early '50s to go shopping at the stores downtown meant going to four or five differnt stores. One for fruit and vegetables, another for meats, another for Moms sewing supplies (Ben Franklins for that). That was a rare event because we got most of our stuff straight from the farm because it was cheaper.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2006, 02:52:49 PM »

I rememer the first Supermarket too, it was A&P. I really preffered going to the meat market, the fruit and vegetable market, and the old general store, oh and I almost forgot the delicatessan, I remember the cheese and salami hanging from the ceilings and I remember they used sawdust on the floor and it was always cold in there but I didn't like the poultry store across the street, (talk about RANK). I used to cover my mouth and nose every time my mom told me to go buy chicken. And I remember the penny candy (yum) mary janes were big and they had a lot of filling. I kinda mis those days. I remember our first TV it had a screen that was about 6 inches. And my mom used to listen to the soap operas on the radio. LOL

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the