Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:43:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  A Christian Devotional
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 64 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Christian Devotional  (Read 78759 times)
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2006, 09:45:43 PM »

Keep going--don't stop!!!

Hebrews 12:1-2 Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

In the Greek olympic games of old, a unique race was run. The winner was not the runner who finished first --- it was the runner who finished with his torch still lit!

There are times in our lives when we feel like we just can't continue in the race. These are precisely the times when the enemy  loves to assault us to the point of breaking and torment us saying "You'll never make it to the finish line, you may as well just quit now". This is the time we need to cling on to God's promises! The Lord will soon reward our diligence for all our toiling here in this world.   Paul said, "Let us not grow weary in well doing for in due season we shall reap if we do not faint".

Let's allow God's wonderful promises to strengthen and comfort us in each circumstance so that we can run the race --- not to finish first, but to run together, side by side --- the flame of our torch reaching the finish line blazing brightly with fire for Him!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2006, 09:47:16 PM »

Where's the safest place to live?

Psalm 118:6 The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me?

As some of you may know, a bomb exploded in a bus within blocks of our Jerusalem apartment about a year or so ago. That morning, my wife and I, along with our newborn baby, were heading to the city center to run a few errands when suddenly, we heard the explosion. Within minutes, the sirens were screaming from every part of the city as officials quickly made their way to the scene. Later that month, I was just seconds from getting on a bus which exploded before my very eyes.

People ask us all the time-- "Aren't you afraid to be living in Israel these days?" We're really not. Truth be told, there aren't too many safe places in this world anymore, are there? However, there is one very safe place we have found; It's the very safest place there is. You may have heard of it -- the place is called "God’s perfect will"! We all need to strive to make our home and reside there the rest of our earthly days!

You may be afraid to go to those places or do those things that God may be calling you to today. It could be to use your God-given gifts in some far away place or it could just be to walk across the street to share with a neighbor. Whatever the case may be, it's easy to get wrapped up in other people's fear, anxiety and criticism -- but we have a choice. We can either give in to those fears or stand for the Lord and choose what has called us to do.

Let's submit all our fears to the Lord today and choose the latter. He will not leave our side when we step forward to do great things for God!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2006, 09:47:52 PM »

Be a LIGHT!

John 10:22-23 ¶ And it was at Jerusalem the feast of the dedication (Chanukah), and it was winter.  And Jesus walked in the temple in Solomon’s porch.

Chanukah, a time of celebration and rededication, is quickly approaching here in the Land and for Jewish people all over the globe. Those of us who are grafted in through the atoning work of Messiah, we who know God, have an opportunity to see the deeper significance in the Jewish holidays and are not only welcome but encouraged to celebrate as well!

Over 150 years before Jesus' birth, a group of Jewish warriors led by Judah Maccabee, defeated Anticochus IV. Though terribly outnumbered by their foes, the Maccabees triumphed over the Grecian Syrian Empire. This led to the establishment of Chanukah -- the feast of dedication.

Judah entered into Jerusalem only to find the Temple desecrated by a sacrificed pig and an idol of Zeus.  Upon seeing this, he immediately began to cleanse the Temple. Judah also found that there was only one cruse of undefiled oil which could burn in the Temple Menorah (holy candleabra which had to continually burn). This oil was only enough for one day but it miraclously lasted for eight days, just enough time to get more of this special oil made. So in memory of this miracle and the rededication of the Temple, Chanukah or the Festival of Lights has been celebrated by the Jewish people for over 2000 years and was even celebrated by Jesus Himself!

Every Chanukah, chanukkiahs (the candleabra of nine candle holders) are lit. Each chanukkia has a special candle, known as the Shamash which is raised above the other eight. The word 'shamash' means 'servant, helper, or minister -- so the Shamash candle is the servant candle, or the ministering candle, and is used to light all the other candles. It is the servant who is raised up and lights all the others, symbolizing Messiah, for us who believe.

Jesus came and proclaimed that 'He is the Light of the World and whoever follows Him shall have the light of life!'  The one who serves the Lord will be a light!   The one who does the will of God will shine!  The more we serve the Lord, and earnestly do His will , with all our heart, soul and mind-- the more we will shine with the light of God and so ultimately will we be raised up!

Let's strive to serve the Lord with gladness this season and light up the world around us! We may be small but a small light will go a long way in a dark place!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2006, 09:48:23 PM »

Fruitcake, anyone?

Luke 6:38 Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.

This Year both Christmas and Chanukah fell on the exact same date, one of only four times in the past century this has occurred. Between the two holidays, can you imagine how many gifts were given yesterday?!

However, there are many gifts we can give this holiday season, that are better than any material gift. Here's some holiday food for thought:

How about these gifts? Forgive someone who's hurt us. Ask someone we've hurt for forgiveness. Do something nice for a neighbor. Give an anonymous gift. Visit someone in the hospital or in an old age home and tell them a story or sing them a song. Invite someone for dinner who you've never thought of inviting before, like our faithful check out lady at the grocery store and her family. Freely give as God has given us. Share the greatest gifts ever, the Gospel of our Lord and the testimony of how He's worked in our lives!

Wherever or however we celebrate this holiday season, let's strive to make it FRUITful for God's Kingdom!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2006, 09:50:10 PM »

How about some humble pie?

James 4:6b Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble.

Corrie Ten Boom tells this story in her book, Each New Day. "When I saw Sadhu Sundar Singh in Europe, he had completed a tour around the world. People asked him, Doesn't it do harm, your getting so much honor?" The Sadhu's answer was: "No. The donkey went into Jerusalem, and they put garments on the ground before him. He was not proud. He knew it was not done to honor him, but for Jesus, who was sitting on his back. When people honor me, I know it is not me, but the Lord, who does the job."

Another wise person once said, "I believe the first test of a truly great man is his humility. I do not mean by humility, doubt of his own power, or hesitation in speaking his opinion. But really great men have a.... feeling that the greatness is not in them but through them; that they could not do or be anything else than God made them."

We too, should strive to live knowing that the greatness is through us and give God all the glory He deserves! Lord, help us! We want to empty ourselves of our desires and our agendas, and be available for all the works you want to do through us! And Lord, we want to live a life of honoring You for every work! Thank you for loving us and helping us along the way -- in the Name of Jesus, Amen!

These e-mail Devotional are supplied by Worthy Devotionals.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2006, 02:30:29 AM »

Dreamweaver Said:

There are times in our lives when we feel like we just can't continue in the race. These are precisely the times when the enemy  loves to assault us to the point of breaking and torment us saying "You'll never make it to the finish line, you may as well just quit now". This is the time we need to cling on to God's promises! The Lord will soon reward our diligence for all our toiling here in this world.   Paul said, "Let us not grow weary in well doing for in due season we shall reap if we do not faint".

AMEN DREAMWEAVER!

Brother, this is from the inexhaustible supply of God's Grace, Love, and Strength that HE gives to His children. I'm sure that we've all met sweet Christians under burdens of all kinds who maintained good attitudes and simply continued the work God had for them to do. Further, they might have even had more joy and a cheerful nature that one in such circumstances shouldn't have by man's standards. We must always remember that we live under God's standards and the reality - "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

I love this thought and absolute reality. The Holy Spirit of God lives in our hearts, and JESUS walks with us during this short life. If we are doing His Will, HE will give us the strength to do it. Christians, stop and think about this beautiful truth often and give thanks.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Proverbs 24:3-4 NASB  By wisdom a house is built, And by understanding it is established; And by knowledge the rooms are filled With all precious and pleasant riches.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2006, 02:41:19 AM »

Dreamweaver Said:

Jesus came and proclaimed that 'He is the Light of the World and whoever follows Him shall have the light of life!'  The one who serves the Lord will be a light!   The one who does the will of God will shine!  The more we serve the Lord, and earnestly do His will , with all our heart, soul and mind-- the more we will shine with the light of God and so ultimately will we be raised up!

AMEN DREAMWEAVER!

Brother, these devotionals are incredibly beautiful. Many of them get to the focus of Christian living and are uplifting for all of us. The overall message in this one is very simple but SO TRUE:  The more we let the Light of JESUS show in our lives of service to Him, the more we will be uplifted. This is the secret of "fulness of Joy in JESUS". It really isn't much of a secret since the Bible mentions it so many times, rather it is a secret for those who don't yield in service to the Will of God with every call.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Revelation 21:23 NASB  And the city has no need of the sun or of the moon to shine on it, for the glory of God has illumined it, and its lamp is the Lamb.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2006, 12:11:09 AM »

Go tell it on the mountain!

Isaiah 62:11 Behold, the LORD hath proclaimed unto the end of the world, Say ye to the daughter of Zion, Behold, thy salvation cometh; behold, his reward is with him, and his work before him.

We came across this quote in our search for devotional material and thought we'd share it with you in light of the holiday season. The author is not known but he or she is surely wise.

"If our greatest need had been information, God would have sent us an educator. If our greatest need had been technology, God would have sent us a scientist. If our greatest need had been money, God would have sent us an economist. If our greatest need had been pleasure, God would have sent us an entertainer..... but our greatest need was forgiveness, so God sent us a Savior."

Yes, God sent us a Savior -- that we might know His forgiveness. But not only that we might know it. God sent us a Savior so that we, who have been given the privilege of this knowledge, might go and share the good news of His forgiveness with all the world!

Let's cherish His forgiveness today. Let's revel in it and let all who don't know that they can have the same!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2006, 12:16:15 AM »

Shine your light!

Matthew 5:15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

Today is the fourth of Chanukah. As we light the candles, we remember that God has called us to be lights.

D. L. Moody told the story of a man who was crossing the Atlantic by ship. He was terribly sick and confined to his cabin. One night he heard the cry "Man overboard!" He felt that there was nothing he could do to help, but at second thought, he said to himself, "I guess I can at least put my lantern in the porthole." He struggled to his feet and hung the light so it shined out into the darkness.

The next day he learned that the person who was rescued said, "I was going down in the dark night for the last time, when someone put a light in a porthole. As it shone on my hand, a sailor in a lifeboat grabbed it and pulled me in."

All of us have weaknesses -- and times of weakness. The fact of the matter is, though, that weak or not, we need to muster up the strength to put our lights in our portholes for the sake of the dying and the lost among us. It's so tempting to sulk in our weaknesses, and stay in our beds -- but God expects more of us. He has given us the strength to do all things -- even move mountains! There are so many people around us sinking in despair. But God has chosen us to reach out and light up their lives!

Let's do something extraordinary for the Lord today. Be bold, speak up! Let's get beyond our weaknesses and light up the darkness around us!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2006, 12:19:14 AM »

Sunny skies ahead!

Isaiah 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

After our very small wedding in Jerusalem, my wife and I planned to have the big ceremony she'd always dreamed of, in Havre De Grace, Maryland. Rivka had it planned it to the tee. It was an outdoor wedding next to the longest standing lighthouse on the east coast. We were going to wow our guests with an entrance by way of sailboat. Ten dancers with candles in glasses were to proceed my beautiful bride as I awaited her under our hand-crafted chuppa, lit by the sunset on the bay.

Unfortunately, things didn't flow quite the way we had planned. Nothing went right -- and when I say nothing -- I really mean nothing. We got started terribly late because some important wedding party guests were late, so the sunset entrance didn't happen. It rained and rained and the cold wind blew. We had no indoor option. We did end up coming in on a sailboat, but we were both soaking wet! The electricity kept flickering on and off, along with the sound, during the ceremony because the generators we rented were not working well. The wrong song was played as I was coming down the isle. There were ducks quacking and meandering around in search for food in the tent beside us,and I tell you, that was only the beginning! The whole event seemed like it was written by the Marx brothers!

Despite the circumstances however, we laughed throughout the whole thing. We decided to trust that the Lord was in control, and just enjoy each other. Just before our pastor closed out the ceremony, he said something along these lines: "Marriage is not about sunny skies and perfect weather -- what it's really about is being joined together to weather the storms!" Surprisingly, many of our cold, wet guests shared with us that they were incredibly touched and blessed. Both believers and non-believers alike remarked that they could see the joy of the Lord in our lives.

The Lord has joined himself to us, not just through the sunny days, but through every storm of life. God never promised us perfect weather, but He does promise that He will walk beside us even in the most difficult of times.

Keep your mind set on Him and you will be at perfect peace through every storm!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 23, 2006, 12:21:43 AM »

Being dependent is a good thing!

Matthew 18:4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.

It never ceases to amaze me how our little girl, Elianna is growing and developing. I remember when she first came into this world, she was so helpless and frail -- she couldn't even move her head without our help. Now, just having turned two, she's running around and tumbling, jumping, singing and dancing!

Once, back in those days when Elianna was much more dependent on us, she was crying about something or another. And on this particular day, nothing would comfort her until I picked her up into my arms. I remember thinking that day, how good it was to feel needed and loved by this little one -- and how wonderful it felt for that moment, that only I could make her happy.

And this got me thinking about something.

How easy is it for us to find our identities in the things we do in this world? We're good fathers, mothers, husbands, wives, good employees, etc. Now, it's not wrong to enjoy these positions. The problem comes, though, when we feel so accomplished in these things that they become who we are. And later, when we're wrapped all up in that identity, and we don't do such a great job at it, we feel like failures.

It's much harder to find our identity as a child of God, than it is our earthly occupations. I mean -- which would you rather be, a great mom, an employee who's just earned a raise, an appreciated pastor -- or a little helpless child who must be totally dependent upon His Father for every need? But it's SO important to first find our identity as children of the living God, and then in these secondary things!

Let's ask the Lord to help us get into a new mindset today. It will help us stay humble and care free, knowing that we are but children of a Father who will take care of it all and striving to stay dependent upon Him!

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2006, 08:47:46 PM »

Are you trapped?

Philippians 4:11 Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content.

Charles Swindoll wrote about these men who bring in animals from Africa for American zoos. They say that one of the hardest animals to catch there is the ringtailed monkey. For the Zulus of that continent, however, it's simple. They've been catching this agile little animal with ease for years.

The method the Zulus use is based on knowledge of the animal. Their trap is nothing more than a melon growing on a vine. The seeds of this melon are a favorite of the monkey. Knowing this, the Zulus simply cut a hole in the melon, just large enough for the monkey to insert his hand to reach the seeds inside. The monkey will stick his hand in, grab as many seeds as he can, then start to withdraw it. This he cannot do. His fist is now larger than the hole. The monkey will pull and tug, screech and fight the melon for hours. But he can't get free of the trap unless he gives up the seeds, which he refuses to do. Meanwhile, the Zulus sneak up and nab him.

There's a pretty clear moral to this story, wouldn't you say? If we really want to be free, we must let go of the things we love. The more we hold on to our earthly posessions, the more frustrated we will get and eventually, we will be entrapped.

Let's let go of the worldly things we've been holding on to. God has much greater things for us to be doing than sitting here with our fists in a melon!

This e-mail Devotional is supplied by Worthy Devotionals.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2006, 02:55:49 PM »

Caution -- under construction!

"And the house, when it was in building, was built of stone made ready before it was brought thither: so that there was neither hammer nor axe nor any tool of iron heard in the house, while it was in building" (I Kings 6:7).

Isn’t it remarkable that every stone was beautifully constructed at a place far away from the Temple sight -- and then put together perfectly on location? And these weren’t small stones either -- these were great BIG stones, made far away and then and placed in perfect precision. (1 Kings 5:17)

The Holy Spirit is erecting a magnificent temple today! And each stone -- that is, each of us – has been carefully cut from this world’s dark quarry, perfectly chiseled and smoothed to fit into a specific special spot within a growing structure -- upon which our Messiah is the chief cornerstone!

You are a chosen and precious stone! Let’s allow the Spirit of God to chisel us today! God desires to smooth out our rough edges so that we will be built into a glorious Temple unto the Lord.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2006, 06:11:29 AM »

Is Jesus in the center?

Revelation 5:6 And I beheld, and, lo, in the midst of the throne and of the four beasts, and in the midst of the elders, stood a Lamb as it had been slain, having seven horns and seven eyes, which are the seven Spirits of God sent forth into all the earth.

The word “midst”, in the Greek, is 'meros' which literally means “the middle”. In the 'meros' of the throne in heaven is the Lamb of God. The very focus of heaven -- the center of attention -- is the Lamb of God!

So often we receive emails asking specific doctrinal questions about this new “revelation” or that new “teaching”, and the very first thing I must ask myself is -- is Jesus in the center? If all of heaven is centered on the Lamb of God, how much should every doctrine be centered on Him? And how much more should our lives be centered on the Lamb that was slain for us?

The Lord expects us to test all things (1 John 4:1), and see if they are of God. Let's not get distracted with doctrines in which He is not the center.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2006, 10:47:13 PM »

Look beyond the blessing!

Psalm 3:8 Salvation belongeth unto the LORD: thy blessing is upon thy people.

Jesus told His disciples to go into the deep waters and let down their nets for fish. When they did, their nets were filled up with fish to the point of breaking. Being fishermen and businessmen, they may have been tempted to start doing business. I mean, think how much they could make!

But God had a different purpose. The disciples’ occupation as fishermen was just a vehicle for God to demonstrate His great power and love. He wasn’t blessing them with fish so that they would get excited about fishing -- He was blessing them with fish so that they could get their eyes off their fishing and on to the greater call He had for them! Thankfully, they left the fishing business and went off with the Lord to do great and mighty things.

Too many of us are wrapped up in fish. We seek the Lord for His blessings, prosperity, and success. But true discipleship is focusing not on the blessings of the Lord, but on the Lord of the blessings!

We can rejoice in our blessings, but let’s not dwell on them! Let’s set our eyes on the Lord and the calling He has for us. When He sees that we have pure and willing hearts, He will be faithful to use us to accomplish His glorious plan!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 64 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the