Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:51:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Strength For The Journey
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Strength For The Journey  (Read 90416 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: October 25, 2006, 04:19:59 PM »

Author: Theodore Epp
Source: Strength for the Journey
Scripture Reference 2 Peter 1:1-9 Philippians 4:8-9

The Renewed Mind

Philippians 4:8,9; 2 Peter 1: 1-9

A good exercise is to analyze the kind of thoughts you have been thinking.

Some will be spiritual thoughts that make a positive contribution to life, others will be thoughts about things that are not necessarily good or bad, and there will be thoughts that are definitely bad--and you realize this without anyone's telling you so.

The quickest way to deteriorate or to degenerate is to allow your mind to be occupied with unworthy thoughts. We soon become what we think. Thinking good thoughts contributes to building character; thinking bad thoughts leads downward.

Jesus explained that the mouth really reveals what is in the heart: "The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil; for his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart" (Luke 6:45, NASB).

What the conscious mind thinks on gradually sinks into the subconscious mind and becomes the building blocks, or material, for one's character. "For as he thinks within himself, so he is" (Prov. 23:7, NASB).

We can make a positive contribution to our subconscious mind by controlling the thoughts of our conscious mind. But when we think selfishly, covetously, jealously and lustfully, these characteristics will become evident in our character.

"And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God" (Rom. 12:2).

This devotional is freely distributed by Back To The Bible.
Did you enjoy this devotional?
Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.backtothebible.org/devotions/

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 25, 2006, 04:21:08 PM »

Scripture Reference Philippians 4:10-13 1 Timothy 6:6-11

Contentment, Not Complacency

Philippians 4:10-13; 1 Timothy 6:6-11

Nowhere does the Bible suggest that we should be content with unsatisfactory conditions. But because of our personal relationship with Christ we can be content in them.

As different situations arise and we learn our lessons one after another, we will also find it possible to be content in every situation.

Contentment is one of those concepts that is easier to define than to experience. This is probably because the tendency is to seek contentment in possessions rather than in a person

We assume that contentment comes from having things, but it is possible to have deep contentment without things.

So often we think contentment would be ours if we were promoted to the next higher position or if we were able to buy that object we think we need so much or if we could be accepted in a certain circle of friends.

But as we advance in these areas, we discover that contentment is elusive because we are seeking it in the wrong places and in the wrong way.

Contentment does not depend on what we have; it depends on who we are. It is a spiritual attainment, not something that results from purchasing power. As someone has said, "Contentment is a state of heart rather than a statement of account."

"Godliness with contentment is great gain" (1 Tim. 6:6).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 25, 2006, 04:22:22 PM »

Scripture Reference Philippians 4:17-20

Can You Claim This Promise?

Philippians 4:17-20

Philippians 4:19 cannot be understood apart from the preceding verses. Some Christians have claimed verse 19 but have not met the conditions of the preceding verses; therefore, they are unwarranted in expecting God to keep His promise of verse 19.

And when they see that God has not fulfilled what they consider to be a promise, it can make their lives a shipwreck. Thus, it is very important to understand the context of verse 19.

We will never realize the tremendous provision of verse 19 until we have met its spiritual and circumstantial requirements. Almost every promise in the Bible has one or more conditions that must be met before God's promise is fulfilled.

Philippians 4:19 says, "God shall supply all your need." We see, then, that there must be a need before God will supply. We must not presume on this promise and run ahead of God with plans of our own.

Neither should we presume on God for all our wants or be careless in spending God's money. God does not promise to supply all of our wants, only our needs.

The slothful, the spendthrift or the selfish person cannot claim the promise of Philippians 4:19. There must be a legitimate need.

Those who are slothful and unwilling to work or who are overly ambitious to gain things need not expect to have this verse fulfilled in their lives.

It should also be understood that God meets our need for a purpose--not to relieve us of our responsibility, but because He has given us responsibility.

When God gives us a responsibility to fulfill, we can count on His supplying all of the resources that are necessary to accomplish it.

"The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want" (Ps. 23:1).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 27, 2006, 10:39:36 AM »

Source: Strength For The Journey
Scripture Reference Colossians 1:1-8

What Do You Believe In?

Colossians 1: 1-8

Almost everyone talks about faith because almost everyone has faith in something.

But faith is only as good as its object. It is important to recognize that we are not saved from condemnation by having faith in faith. Paul commended the Colossians for their "faith in Christ Jesus" (Col. 1:4).

So it is not sufficient to tell a person, "Just believe." The question is, Believe what? The message of the Gospel is not to believe in yourself, in church or in doctrine but in the Lord Jesus Christ.

This implies believing in all that Christ did for us when He died on the cross in our place. It recognizes that we are sinful human beings who deserve condemnation, or else it would never have been necessary for Christ to die.

It means we recognize that Christ is our only hope because if we could have been saved by some other means, Christ would not have had to die (see Gal. 2:21).

Having faith in Jesus Christ implies we have placed our confidence entirely in His finished work on the cross, recognizing that He forgives our sins and gives us eternal life.

One can summarize saving faith as a commitment to Jesus Christ, who is our life and Lord. Faith in Jesus Christ as our Lord is also necessary for growth in our Christian walk.

"And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house" (Acts 16:31).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 27, 2006, 10:41:03 AM »

Scripture Reference Colossians 1:9-12

Living to Please God

Colossians 1:9-12

As Paul prayed for the Colossians and their walk, or way of life, he did not pray that it might be pleasing to man but to God.

In his letter to the Galatians, Paul said of himself, "For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ" (1:10).

Of course, when we live in a way that pleases God, many people will also be pleased by the way we live. But our focus of attention should be on pleasing God rather than people.

Living in a way that pleases God cannot be done in one's own strength. It is only by means of the indwelling Christ that the believer can exhibit the fruit of the Spirit and have a walk that pleases the Lord.

Although the believer seeks primarily to please God, not people, we must keep these truths in balance.

We will not be successful in reaching others with the Gospel if we constantly displease them by our attitudes and actions. But above all, we must be true to God Himself in all that we do.

As Paul sought to evangelize the lost, he was very careful not to unnecessarily offend those he was endeavoring to reach. Paul summed up this aspect of his life in this way: "Even as I please all men in all things, not seeking mine own profit, but the profit of many, that they may be saved" (1 Cor. 10:33).

"For I do always those things that please him" (John 8:29).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 29, 2006, 03:02:05 PM »

Scripture Reference Colossians 1:13-19

Christ Eternal!

Colossians 1:13-19

Christ existed prior to all creation. He is "the firstborn of every creature" (Col. 1:15). From the original language of the New Testament, this phrase is literally "firstborn of all creation."

The Greek word translated "firstborn" does not mean that He was the first one born; rather, it emphasizes priority and sovereignty. He existed before anything was ever created.

This truth is obvious from verse 16: "For by him were all things created." He had to exist before all created things in order to create them. And because He is the Creator of all things, this implies sovereignty.

John 1:1-3 states, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made."

Notice especially verse 3: "All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made." This directly connects with the truth presented in Colossians 1:15.

The emphasis, then, of "firstborn" is one of rank and is not related to birth as we commonly think of it.

Psalm 89:27 uses the word "firstborn" in referring to David's son, but it looks ahead to Christ: "I will make him my firstborn, higher than the kings of the earth."

Since Colossians 1:17 indicates that the Lord Jesus Christ existed before all created things, He Himself is uncreated, thus eternal. This verse says, "He is before all things, and by him all things consist." He is the eternal God; therefore, He is the Supreme Being.

"Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day and for ever" (Heb. 13:8).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 29, 2006, 03:03:17 PM »

Scripture Reference Colossians 1:21-29

Christ in You

Colossians 1:21-29

On the surface, the emphasis of "Christ in you" (Col. 1:27) may not seem so important. But when we grasp the significance of this great truth, our thinking about Christ and ourselves will be changed, and even our prayer life will be changed.

I well remember when I was a young preacher and my father had grasped the glorious truth of "Christ in you." Those were good words to me, but I did not see the importance in them that my father did.

But one of the red-letter days of my life was when God opened my inner eyes and ears to understand what it really is to be in Christ and to have Him in me.

I then experienced a change in my outlook on life in general and in my prayer life in particular. I experienced a new insight and a new understanding of what it means to be able to say, "I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me" (Gal. 2:20).

The Lord Jesus Christ, who walked on this earth and who is now at the Father's right hand, must not only be a leader or teacher to us.

It is not enough that He came, lived, died and rose again; He must be personally received as Saviour, at which time He will take up personal residence in our heart.

And as we study the Scriptures to learn more about Him and apply the truths to our lives, He will be formed in us.

An intellectual acceptance of the facts of Christ's person and work is not sufficient for what we need and want. We certainly need to know those facts, but we must go beyond those facts to place our faith in Him as Saviour and to daily experience His living power in us.

This is the thrust of the Book of Colossians, and that is why I think it is so important.

"At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you" (John 14:20).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 31, 2006, 09:51:28 AM »

Scripture Reference Colossians 2:1-7

You Grow the Way You Were Born

Colossians 2:1-7

Paul spoke here of the necessity of the Colossians to continue as they had begun. In other words, he was telling them, "Get settled in Christ; see that Christ is everything in your life."

Paul wanted the Colossians to recognize that if someone taught differently, then that teaching was in error.

We are to walk in Christ the same way as we originally received Him as our Saviour. We received Him by faith; so we are to walk in Him by faith.

The way of salvation is made crystal clear in Ephesians 2:8: "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God." Hebrews 11:6 says, "Without faith it is impossible to please him."

Notice that Paul used the full title for the Lord: "Christ Jesus the Lord" (Col. 2:6). Christ" means "anointed one" or "Messiah." That is Jesus' heavenly name.

"Jesus" means "one who saves" and refers to the historical Person who became flesh and lived among mankind. "Lord" means "master" and refers to His supreme control of everything.

With this threefold emphasis, Paul was reminding the Colossians whom they had become rightly related to when they received salvation. He is the Anointed One of God; He is the Saviour of mankind; He is the Supreme Lord.

Paul urged the Colossians to remember that they had started with Christ by faith and that now they must continue to walk with Him by faith.

"But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ" (Eph. 4:15).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
Not
« Reply #293 on: October 31, 2006, 09:52:56 AM »

Scripture Reference Ephesians 1:3 Colossians 2:10-15

Not

Colossians 2:10-15

Realizing that all of the fullness of the Godhead dwells in bodily form in the Lord Jesus Christ, it is then awesome to consider that we "are complete in him" (Col. 2:10).

We are filled with His fullness. Notice it does not say we ought to be complete in Him; it says we are complete in Him.

Of course, believers are to constantly grow in the knowledge of Him as they progress from babes in Christ to those who are spiritually mature. But the completeness exists from the moment of salvation.

This is why it can be said in 2 Peter 1:3 that Christ "hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness."

Even in our day, it is common for people to tell believers, "It is wonderful that you know Christ as Saviour and that you are endeavoring to live the Christian life the best you can, but you need something special in order to really have all that God wants you to have."

They may not say it in quite these words, but this sort of teaching is causing mass confusion among Christians today.

But what we need to understand is that, having trusted Jesus Christ as Saviour, we are complete in Him and need nothing else. There is no special ordinance or any special experience that needs to be tacked on to the Person and work of Christ.

What can be added that the believer does not already possess in Jesus Christ? Our need is simply to appropriate what we have in Christ and thus, by faith, live accordingly.

"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ" (Eph. 1:3).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 02, 2006, 10:40:20 AM »

Scripture Reference Galatians 5:16 Psalm 37:5 Ephesians 1:19-20 Philippians 2:12 2 Corinthians 5:7 Colossians 3:1-4

Practicing Your Position

Colossians 3:5-11

It is wonderful to realize that, as believers, we live by the power of Christ's resurrection life. As we do this, we are letting Christ live again in the sense that He is living out His life through us.

This is what Paul desired for the Ephesian believers, for he prayed that they might know "what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power, which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places" (Eph. 1:19,20).

This ties in beautifully with Paul's statement in Colossians 1:27: "Christ in you, the hope of glory."

It must be remembered that we are not robots, operated by push buttons. We are beings with the power of choice, and we must decide to apply these truths to ourselves.

God wants us to surrender to Him as an act of faith. When we do this, God works on our behalf. This is not necessarily only a New Testament truth. The psalmist wrote: "Commit thy way unto the Lord; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass" (Ps. 37:5).

Philippians 2:12 and Galatians 5:16 also indicate that we are to work out the salvation that has been worked within us and that we are to live by means of the Spirit.

Paul stressed to the believers in Colosse--and to us--that, as a result of their standing in Christ, they had a great responsibility to "seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God" (Col. 3:1).

"For we walk by faith, not by sight" (2 Cor. 5:7).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 02, 2006, 10:41:47 AM »

Scripture Reference John 17:22 Colossians 3:5-11

The Life That Is New

Colossians 3:5-11

In Colossians 3:10,11 Paul revealed three truths about those who have put on the new man.

First, they have a divine nature. Each person who trusts Christ as Saviour has "put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him" (v. 10).

It is not just that a person wants a new nature--he has a new nature. We translate our position into daily living as we say yes to Christ and no to sin.

Second, those who have trusted Christ as Saviour also have a new unity: "Where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcision nor uncircumcision, Barbarian, Scythian, bond nor free" (v. 11).

The new unity transcends all races, social positions, cultural differences--even economic and political status. Such distinctions belong to the old man, not to the new man.

And because God makes no distinctions between the categories mentioned in verse 11, neither should we who know Jesus Christ as Saviour.

Third, those who have trusted Jesus Christ have a new relationship: "Christ is all, and in all" (v. 11). This is a new relationship where Christ is in absolute control.

Is Christ in control of your life? Not just in control of something, but is He in control of all things? Is He truly "all, and in all"?

"And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one" (John 17:22).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 04, 2006, 02:15:51 AM »

Scripture Reference 2 Samuel 9:1 Titus 3:1-7 Ephesians 4:32 Colossians 3:12

God's Kindness

Colossians 3:12; Titus 3:1-7

The believer is to put on "kindness" (Col. 3:12). This refers to a gentle, gracious disposition.

When I think of this quality, a particular godly leader comes to mind. Years ago another leader in the area did him much harm and sought to ruin his reputation. In a board meeting with this godly leader some of us expressed concern about what this other person was doing to him.

This godly leader then made a statement I shall never forget: "I have determined in my heart to show love and kindness toward this Christian leader with all that I have." And he did. This is what kindness is all about.

A biblical illustration of showing kindness is seen from the life of David. The former king, Saul, had despised David and sought to kill him several times.

But David never took advantage of Saul; in fact, Saul's son Jonathan became his closest friend. After the deaths of Saul and Jonathan, David asked, "Is there yet any that is left of the house of Saul, that I may shew him kindness for Jonathan's sake?" (2 Sam. 9: 1).

It was then brought to David's attention that Jonathan had a crippled son, Mephibosheth (v. 3). David sent for Mephibosheth, and 2 Samuel 9 concludes by saying, "So Mephibosheth dwelt in Jerusalem: for he did eat continually at the king's table; and was lame on both his feet" (v. 13).

In addition to providing for Mephibosheth continually, David also restored to him the land that had been confiscated from Saul. This was true kindness in action.

"And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you" (Eph. 4:32).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 06, 2006, 11:17:34 AM »

Scripture Reference Colossians 1:18 Psalm 119:165 Colossians 3:13-17

Beware of False Peace!

Colossians 3:13-17

We must beware of false peace. Some who do wrong may have a peace about it, but it does not come from God. As someone has said, "Peace of heart alone is not always the peace of God."

A significant test to apply to determine the origin of the peace is this: If I have peace in my heart about a matter, do I also have peace with others in the Body of Christ concerning it?
Understandably, not everyone will agree on any single issue, but if only the person himself thinks he is right, he has reason to question his decision. If we are out of the will of God, we will bring discord and disharmony to the Body of true believers.

I realize the difficulty in assessing who is a true believer, especially in a group situation. Sometimes those who are part of the group do not evidence salvation themselves.

Other times, some may clearly evidence salvation but give little evidence of mature judgment in things related to the Christian life.

One of the best safeguards against a false peace is simply making sure that you have the desire to please Jesus Christ in all that you do.
If it is your concern "that in all things he might have the preeminence" (Col. 1:18), you can trust Him to bring conviction and a lack of peace when your life is not honoring to Him.

"Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them" (Ps. 119:165).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 06, 2006, 11:18:58 AM »

Scripture Reference Galatians 6:9 Galatians 5:22-23 Hebrews 10:36 Romans 12:12 James 1:1-8

Getting

James 1: 1-8

The more often faith is tried, the easier it becomes to endure trials because they produce patience. And through trials, the believer becomes more steadfast in his faith.

Endurance is the ability to withstand hardship or stress. Patience is the ability to bear pain without complaint, evidencing self-control.

In a sense, both of these ideas are involved in the statement of James that "the trying of your faith worketh patience" (James 1:3).

The Greek word translated "patience" is made up of two words that literally mean "to remain under." When a person remains under a testing, he endures that testing, and the testing itself produces patience as the believer remains under the burden.

Self-control, which is so closely related to patience, is part of the fruit of the Spirit mentioned in Galatians 5:22,23. Thus, if we wish to acquire more patience and self-control, it means we will have to endure more testings.

Even though the testings are severe, the Christian who has total confidence in Christ can have joy in the midst of the testings. And the patience we develop will enable us to wait until the Lord fulfills His promises to us.

Hebrews 10:36 says, "ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise." Galatians 6:9 says, "Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."

Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer" (Rom. 12:12).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 06, 2006, 11:20:23 AM »

Scripture Reference Luke 12:19-20 1 Samuel 2:7 James 1:9-11

God Is Not Impressed

James 1:9-11

When James wrote concerning a brother of "low degree" (James 1:9), we must remember that he was writing from a human viewpoint. Only humans characterize one person as being of low degree and another as being of high degree, because God is not a respecter of persons.

James was writing about a "brother"; that is, one who has trusted Jesus Christ as Saviour. Within the family of God everyone is equal in God's eyes. The low are exalted, the high are brought low.

God calls for lowliness of heart as seen in the Person of Jesus Christ.

The reason we should not be overly impressed by whether a person is of low estate or high estate is that his earthly possessions have nothing to do with his relationship before God.

Jesus pointed out this truth by telling a parable about a rich man who said, "I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry. But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?" (Luke 12:19,20).

Riches do not make a person better than anyone else, nor do riches prevent sickness or death.

Since Christ is meek and lowly in heart, those who know Him as Saviour and who allow Him to live out His life through them will exhibit the same characteristics.

"The Lord maketh poor, and maketh rich: he bringeth low, and lifteth up" (1 Sam. 2:7).

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 25 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the