Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:17:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Prayer, Praise and Promises
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prayer, Praise and Promises  (Read 93816 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 09, 2006, 09:23:34 AM »

Author: Warren Wiersbe
Source: Prayer, Praise and Promises
Scripture Reference Psalm 74:12-23

A Night Season

Read Psalm 74:12-23

For God is my King from of old, working salvation in the midst of the earth" (v. 12). Asaph wrote those words after surveying the damage the Babylonians wrought in Jerusalem and the temple. In verses 1-11 he looked around and saw perpetual desolations. He saw the enemy had wrecked the sanctuary of God. The Babylonians had removed God's banners and set up their own. All the beauty, all the splendor of Jerusalem had gone up in smoke. When you look around and see the Enemy's destructive influence, remember: "God is my King from of old, working salvation in the midst of the earth" (v. 12).

In verse 12 Asaph stopped looking around and looked up. He realized that God was on the throne. At times we cry, "How long, O Lord? How long? Why are these things happening? Why don't You do something?" We know why He permitted the Babylonians to destroy Jerusalem and the temple: The spiritual leaders of the people had led the nation into idolatry and blasphemy, so God disciplined them. Asaph looked up and said, "God is King. He has never failed, and He is working salvation. The Enemy may be working destruction; but my God is King, and He is working salvation in the midst of the earth."

Asaph had a third encouragement. He remembered what God had done in the past (vv. 13-23). God divided the Red Sea. He broke the armies that attacked His people. He led His people through the wilderness. He opened the rock and provided water. He dried up the rivers. I like verse 16: "The day is Yours, the night also is Yours." We like the day but not the night. Remember, God controls the night as well as the day. Asaph was going through a night season in his soul as he saw everything around him falling apart. What was his solution? Trust. "For God is my King from of old, working salvation in the midst of the earth" (v. 12).

Has the Enemy been doing his destructive work in your life? Lay hold of the encouragements of this psalm: God is on the throne; He is helping to deliver you; and He is faithful to act as He has in the past. Start by acknowledging His control in your life. Ask Him to help you and courageously place your trust in Him.

This devotional is freely distributed by Back To The Bible.
Did you enjoy this devotional?
Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.backtothebible.org/devotions/

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 09, 2006, 09:24:49 AM »

Scripture Reference 1 Peter 5:6 John 3:27 1 Peter 5:5 Psalm 75:1-10

Who Put Them There?

Read Psalm 75:1-10

In this day when people promote themselves and take care of "number one," it's good to read verse 7: "But God is the Judge: He puts down one, and exalts another." This rebukes our pride. Who is the One who allows people to be where they are? God. John the Baptist said, "A man can receive nothing unless it has been given to him from heaven" (John 3:27). Peter wrote: "Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time" (I Pet. 5:6). Who is the One who exalts people to places of leadership? God. Who is the One who removes people from certain positions? God. Who is wise enough to know when to do all of this? God. No one in any position should think that he is there because God needs him.

Let's realize that we are where we are because God put us there. But verse 7 not only rebukes our pride--it also encourages our patience. Think of Joseph, waiting for God to put down his enemies and set him up where he was supposed to be. Consider Moses or Nehemiah. Oh, how we need patience! Sometimes God allowed His people to be under the tyranny of bad leaders or foreign dictators. Just as He did in the Old Testament, God allows us to go through difficult situations to break our wills and make us more like Him.

Third, this relieves the pressure in our lives. Are you in a place of leadership? God put you there. And because He put you there, He will keep you there for as long as He wants. He will use you the way He chooses. Be careful of pride. When we become proud and haughty and think we have all the answers, God says, "It's time to put you down." But if we put ourselves down, He will exalt us. If we humble ourselves under His hand, that hand will turn over and lift us up. "God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble" (I Pet. 5:5).

Have you been struggling because you are under bad leaders at your workplace or in your church? Did poor decisions by others put them there? Bring your burden to God and talk to Him about it. Ask for His strength to continue and remember that He is the Judge.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 10, 2006, 08:25:24 AM »

Title: Due Respect
Book: Prayer, Praise and Promises

Read Psalm 76:1-12

We read and hear so much about the love of God that we sometimes forget the fear of God. "You, Yourself, are to be feared; and who may stand in Your presence when once You are angry?" (v. 7). What is this fear Asaph mentions? It's the fear of the Lord, that reverent respect and awe that we show to Him because of His greatness and power. We are God's children, and the Holy Spirit in our hearts says, "Abba, Father." We can pray, "Our Father, who art in heaven." We can draw close to God, and He will draw close to us. But remember that God is God and we are human beings. He is in heaven, and we are on earth. He is eternal, and someday we will be with Him in heaven. Meanwhile, our earthly existence is temporal.

The fear of God is not like the dread of a prisoner before a judge. It's not the cringing of a servant before a master. It's the reverent respect and awe of a child realizing the greatness and the glory of God. We fear Him because He is so great. "In Judah God is known; His name is great in Israel" (v. 1). Oh, what a great name He has! How sad that the people of the world take His great name in vain. We also fear Him because He is glorious. "You are more glorious and excellent than the mountains of prey" (v. 4).

We also fear God because of who He is and what He has done. "At Your rebuke, O God of Jacob, both the chariot and horse were cast into a dead sleep" (v. 6). What is the result of fearing Him? God fights our battles. He goes before those who fear Him. We can stand before Him because Jesus intercedes for us. God will not be angry because of our sins. Jesus has taken care of that. Let's fear the Lord, and He will fight our battles for us.

God deserves your reverent respect. And you have many reasons for giving it to Him. Do you give God His due respect? Take time to meditate on who He is and what He has done for you. Come into His presence and worship Him. "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" (Prov. 9:1).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 12, 2006, 04:40:37 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 77:1-6

Conversations in the Night

Read Psalm 77:1-6

It doesn't have to be dark outside for us to be in the middle of the night. Sometimes the darkness is in us. Discouragement moves in, and we are like Asaph, who said, "My hand was stretched out in the night without ceasing; my soul refused to be comforted" (v. 2). Some translations read, "My sore was running in the night." What do you do when your soul refuses to be comforted?

Asaph tells us what we should do. First, talk to God. "I cried out to God with my voice--to God with my voice; and He gave ear to me" (v. 1). Someone has suggested that when you can't sleep at night, instead of counting sheep, talk to the Shepherd. That's what Asaph did. Sometimes approaching the Lord is painful. "I remembered God, and was troubled" (v. 3). What did he remember about God that troubled him? Perhaps he disobeyed a commandment or doubted a promise. Or perhaps he realized how holy God is and how sinful he is.

But talking to the Lord also brings reassurance. "I have considered the days of old, the years of ancient times" (v. 5). In other words, God can be trusted. He has cared for you in the past, and He will care for you in the future.

Second, talk to yourself. "I meditate within my heart, and my spirit makes diligent search" (v. 6). Talk to yourself about the Lord. Examine your life and your Christian walk. Your discouragement will be replaced by a song. "I call to remembrance my song in the night" (v. 6).

When you feel discouraged, get your eyes off your circumstances and onto the Lord. Also, examine your life. Have you disobeyed the Lord? Talk to Him and let Him encourage you. Then talk to yourself and encourage yourself with the things of God. He will give you a song in the night.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 13, 2006, 02:33:10 PM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 22:1 Matthew 27:46 Psalm 77:7-10

Unanswered Questions

Read Psalm 77:7-10

Asking questions is much easier than answering them. If you have children or grandchildren, you know how true that is. These verses contain a series of questions from a discouraged man. "Will the Lord cast off forever? And will He be favorable no more? Has His mercy ceased forever? Has His promise failed forevermore? Has God forgotten to be gracious? Has He in anger shut up His tender mercies?" (vv. 7-9). Then he concludes by saying, "This is my anguish; but I will remember the years of the right hand of the Most High" (v. 10).

It's normal to ask questions when we are going through difficulty and pain. David prayed, "My God, my God, why have You forsaken Me?" (Ps. 22:1). Jesus also quoted those words on the cross (Matt. 27:46). When we are going through difficulty, we expect God to move in, help us and deliver us. And when we are waiting for that deliverance, we get impatient. That's when the questions come.

Don't be afraid to be open and honest with God. Tell Him how you feel and what you're thinking. He would rather you be honest about your feelings than hypocritical. But remember this: As Christians, we do not live on explanations; we live on promises. Suppose God started to answer these questions. Will the Lord cast off forever? No. Will He be favorable no more? Of course, He's going to be favorable. Is His mercy completely gone forever? No. If God answered all of these questions, would it make any difference? It might ease your mind a little bit, but it wouldn't really change your situation. Live by faith, not by sight. Trust the promises of the Lord. He will not change.

God does not always provide explanations for your difficulties, but He does provide the promises of His Word. The next time you find yourself in the midst of discouragement, bring your questions and concerns to Him in prayer. Then rely on the promises of His Word. God knows your needs and will meet them.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 13, 2006, 02:34:20 PM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 77:11-20

Holy and Hidden

Read Psalm 77:11-20

Asaph refused to be comforted. He asked a lot of questions of the Lord. At the close of his discouragement, he came to two wonderful conclusions. First, "Your way, O God, is in the sanctuary; who is so great a God as our God?" (v. 13). And second, "Your way was in the sea, your path in the great waters, and your footsteps were not known" (v. 19).

What an unusual way to express faith! First, Asaph tells us that God's way is in the sanctuary. His way is a way of sanctification and holiness. God leads us in grace and from grace to glory. He makes no mistakes--His way is the best way and always has been. If we are living in the Holy of Holies, we will be able to discover God's way. If we are in the Holy Word of God, we can have a holy walk with Him.

Second, God's way is in the sea. His way is hidden. We may not understand all of God's leading, but this we can know: God is leading. Asaph said, "You led Your people like a flock by the hand of Moses and Aaron" (v. 20). His way is in the sea, and if He has to, He will open up the sea for you. If necessary, He will help you walk on the water. But the psalmist came to the right conclusion. God's way is holy, so obey Him. His way is hidden, so trust Him.

Perhaps you're going through a difficulty today and asking the Lord a lot of questions--why, how, when, how long--the questions Asaph asked. Let God bring you closer to Himself by following His guidance.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 14, 2006, 06:15:56 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 78:1-8

Servants of Tomorrow

Read Psalm 78:1-8

We have a responsibility to the next generation. The psalmist wrote, "We will not hide them from their children, telling to the generation to come the praises of the Lord, and His strength and His wonderful works that He has done" (v. 4).

Why should we share the Word of the Lord with the generation to come? "That they may set their hope in God, and not forget the works of God, but keep His commandments" (v. 7). That's preparing them for the future, because hope looks to the future. Christians are born again unto a living hope by the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. We know that our Lord is going to return and take us home to heaven. Too many people in the younger generation are setting their hope in money, in government or in their abilities. So we share the blessing of the Lord with the next generation to help them set their hope in Him.

Second, we want the next generation to remember the works of God. How easy it is to forget what He has done for us! Yet if we keep reminding the next generation, they will remember, too. The past must not be forgotten. Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat its mistakes.

Finally, we must share the things of the Lord with the younger generation so they will keep His commandments. The psalmist wasn't talking about a legalistic life. He was talking about a loving obedience to the Lord. Yes, we do have a responsibility to the new generation, and we fulfill that responsibility by being a good example, by teaching, sharing and encouraging.

You are entrusted with your Christian heritage. When you share with the next generation the Word and works of God, you teach them valuable lessons about how He still works in the lives of His people. Strive to be an example that encourages the next generation to obey the Lord.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 16, 2006, 03:02:28 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 78:9-20 Luke 9:62

Always Faithful

Read Psalm 78:9-20

The children of Ephraim mentioned in Psalm 78 failed the Lord, and they failed their fellow Israelites when their help was badly needed. "The children of Ephraim, being armed and carrying bows, turned back in the day of battle. They did not keep the covenant of God; they refused to walk in His law, and forgot His works and His wonders that He had shown them" (vv. 9-11).

What a tragedy it is when people fail in their warfare. Jesus warned us about those who look back and do not fulfill the will of God (Luke 9:62). If we are looking back, we cannot plow ahead. And if we look back, we cannot fight as we ought. Yes, there is a spiritual battle going on, and we need every soldier. But something was wrong with these warriors. They were unfaithful. Even though they were armed, they turned back in the day of battle.

Something was wrong with their walk. "They did not keep the covenant of God; they refused to walk in His law" (v. 10). That's where failure always starts. God wanted them to walk in His law that He might help them win the battle, but they would not obey Him.

Finally, they forgot what God had done for them. "And forgot His works and His wonders that He had shown them" (v. 11). Can you imagine forgetting a miracle? If a miracle took place in your life today, you would talk about it until the day the Lord called you home. You'd call a press conference! Think of the miracles God did for His people. But they forgot them. The Ephraimites were undependable on the battlefield because they forgot what He had done for them. They turned against the law of God, and they turned from the works of the Lord. Consequently, they were unable to help in His work.

Unfaithfulness is common in people. But not so with God. Faithfulness is part of His character. This truth ought to encourage you if you know the Lord. Be faithful in your walk with Him. Remember His works and be a faithful soldier in your battle for Him.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 17, 2006, 10:30:44 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 78:21-33

Futility and Fear

Read Psalm 78:21-33

The history of Israel in the Old Testament is really the history of all Christians. Like Israel, we have been redeemed through the blood of the Lamb. And like the people of Israel, we are heading for the Promised Land.

What is the one thing you need most on the journey from earth to heaven? Love? Yes, that's important. Hope? That's important, too. But I think faith is needed most. The one thing you must do is trust God. That's what the psalmist talks about in this passage. The people would not believe in God and continued to sin. We see the consequence in verse 33: "Therefore their days He consumed in futility, and their years in fear." When the Israelites got to the edge of the Promised Land, they refused to go in. They were at Kadesh-Barnea and would not trust God to lead them. So they had to wander around for some 40 years in vanity and emptiness, struggling with problem after problem.

Unfortunately, many of God's people are betweeners--they are living between Egypt and Canaan. They have been delivered from bondage by the blood of the Lamb, but they have never entered into their inheritance. They are living between Good Friday and Easter Sunday. They believe that Jesus died on the cross, but they are not living in the power of His Resurrection.

Don't be a betweener today. Consider how God blessed the people of Israel. He sent them manna and fowl to feed them. He provided them with water. But also consider how God disciplined them because of their unbelief. In His patience, however, He finally brought them through. We are like the people of Israel. Our greatest need is to believe God. We don't live by explanations; we live by promises. Today, while you hear His voice, don't harden your heart.

Unbelief leads to futility and fear. Perhaps you are a "betweener" today--refusing to trust God's leading. When Israel believed the promises of God, He blessed them. Trust Him, obey Him and believe Him, and His blessing will come!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 17, 2006, 10:32:08 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 78:34-39

Flattery Gets You Nowhere

Read Psalm 78:34-39

Flattery is not communication; it is manipulation. We flatter people because we want something from them. It's bad enough to flatter people, but it's even worse to flatter God. "Nevertheless they flattered Him with their mouth, and they lied to Him with their tongue; for their heart was not steadfast with Him, nor were they faithful in His covenant" (vv. 36,37).

How do we flatter God? First, when we praise Him but don't mean it. It is so easy to stand in church and sing songs of praise with our minds somewhere else and our hearts not in our singing. We are simply going through an empty ritual. We also flatter God when we make promises to Him that we don't intend to keep. We do this sometimes in our praying.

We flatter God a third way when we pray to Him but don't really seek His will. It's easy for us to go through routine prayers and make promises. "Dear Lord, today I'm going to witness," or, "Dear Lord, today I'm going to read my Bible," or, "Dear Lord, today I am not going to yield to that temptation." But in our hearts we have no intention of following through. We lie to God. So often the Israelites lied to Him. They brought sacrifices, hoping to buy God's blessing. They went through the ritual and the routine of worship, hoping that He would somehow deliver them. They were flattering Him--their hearts were not right with God.

What does it mean to have a heart right with God? It means we are honest and open with Him. We are sincere, not lying. We tell Him just how we feel and exactly what we're going through. That's what God wants. He wants us to walk in the light as He is in the light (I John 1:7), not trying to cover up or excuse our sins, but confessing them. To have our hearts right with the Lord, we must stop flattering God and always deal with Him in truth.

God wants you to be open and honest with Him. Never flatter Him with dishonesty, insincerity or deception. One way to be honest in your relationship with God is to keep your heart clean. Confess your sins instead of trying to cover them. He knows your heart, so be truthful in your praying.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 18, 2006, 11:35:52 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 78:40-53

Flawed Memory

Read Psalm 78:40-53

The older we get, the more we forget. This is especially true when it comes to our relationship with God.

The people of Israel often remembered what they should have forgotten and forgot what they should have remembered! "They did not remember His power: the day when He redeemed them from the enemy, when He worked His signs in Egypt, and His wonders in the field of Zoan" (vv. 42,43). How amazing. The Jews had seen God perform ten miracles on their behalf in Egypt. Moses even pointed out that this was the hand of the Lord, yet they forgot all about it. After they were delivered from Egypt and living in the desert, the first time they were thirsty, they complained. The first time they were hungry, they complained.

Their constant cry was, "Let's go back." What did they remember about Egypt? The bondage? The taskmasters? Being beaten and whipped? Carrying the heavy burdens? They didn't remember those things. They remembered the leeks and the onions and the garlic and the cucumbers. They remembered the things that satisfied their stomachs. They did not remember the spiritual victories that God had given, His deliverance or His guidance. He had fed and led them, protected and provided for them; and they forgot about it. The same is often true of us. We forget what God has done for us, and when we forget, we start to go backward.

Forgetfulness has consequences. "Yes, again and again they tempted God, and limited the Holy One of Israel" (v. 41). Imagine--feeble, unbelieving man limiting Almighty God! But that's what happens when we forget Him. Don't limit God in your life today. He has unlimited wisdom and unlimited power, and your life has unlimited potential in His hands. Don't turn back. Look ahead. Don't test Him. Trust Him and remember his mercies.

The same God who worked miracle after miracle for Israel is the One who is working for you today. Don't live with a flawed memory. Meditate on God's faithfulness and goodness.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 21, 2006, 06:31:43 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 78:54-64

Tempting God

Read Psalm 78:54-64

There is only one direction for Christians to travel--forward. We must not think back or look back or turn back. We must move ahead, out of the old life and into the new.

That's the picture of the Israelites. God delivered them from Egypt. He brought them into the Promised Land, yet when they got there, they failed Him. "Yet they tested and provoked the Most High God, and did not keep His testimonies, but turned back and acted unfaithfully like their fathers; they were turned aside like a deceitful bow. For they provoked Him to anger with their high places, and moved Him to jealousy with their carved images" (vv. 56-58). They ignored all of God's greatness. He defeated the other nations. He gave the Jews houses they did not build. They drank from wells they did not dig. They ate from trees they never cultivated. They ignored God's goodness, and then they deliberately tempted Him.

How do you tempt God? When you deliberately disobey Him and dare Him to do something. You are not walking in ignorance--you know what you are doing. To tempt God means to sin with your eyes wide open. This provokes Him.

The people of Israel even adopted the idolatrous worship of the people they had defeated! We do this today, too. How easy it is for us to accept the idols of this world, to trust in money and position, to trust in the words of men instead of the words of God. And the result? "He forsook the tabernacle" (v. 60). God moved out. He said, "If you don't want me, I'm leaving." As a consequence, the people of Israel went into captivity.

What a tragedy to enter into the blessing God has for us and get so confident and selfish we forget the One who gave us the blessing.

Be careful never to place your trust in God's blessings rather than in God. Enjoy the Blesser--the God who gives and guides you--rather than the blessing.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 21, 2006, 06:32:59 AM »

Scripture Reference Matthew 25:21 Psalm 78:65-72

From Servant to Ruler

Read Psalm 78:65-72

We know that David committed adultery and that he made a man drunk and had him murdered. In addition, he once took a census of the Israelites out of disobedience to God--70,000 people died as a result. But David is still a great man. God forgave him and used him in a wonderful way.

David was a man of humility. "He also chose David His servant, and took him from the sheepfolds; from following the ewes that had young He brought him, to shepherd Jacob His people, and Israel His inheritance" (vv. 70,71). David began as a servant, and God made him a ruler. That's always God's pattern. There are those who make themselves leaders, but God's blessing is not upon them. David had God's blessing because he was faithful in his job. That's what Jesus said in one of His parables. "Well done, good and faithful servant; you were faithful over a few things, I will make you ruler over many things. Enter into the joy of your lord" (Matt. 25:21). If you want to be a leader, learn how to be a follower. If you want to be a ruler, learn how to be a servant, faithfully doing what God has called you to do.

David was a man of integrity. "So he shepherded them according to the integrity of his heart" (v. 72). Integrity means having one heart, whereas a double-minded man is unstable in all his ways (James 1:8). David's sole purpose was to serve the Lord.

David was a man of ability. He "guided them by the skillfulness of his hands" (v. 72). Integrity ties your heart and your hands together. Your heart serves the Lord, and your hands are busy for Him. We need people like that today. No amount of dedication can compensate for a lack of skill, but no amount of skill can compensate for a lack of dedication. We need both.

David exhibited the traits of a true ruler--humility, integrity and ability. They also are required of you for faithful service. Where has God placed you for service? Are you a faithful leader or follower? He rewards His faithful servants. Dedicate yourself to the Lord today and serve Him faithfully.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 21, 2006, 06:34:18 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 79:1-13

When All Seems Lost

Read Psalm 79:1-13

There are days when we look around and it seems as though the Enemy has won. That's the way Asaph felt when he wrote Psalm 79.

He looked around and saw defilement. "Oh God, the nations have come into Your inheritance; Your holy temple they have defiled; they have laid Jerusalem in heaps" (v. 1). Asaph refers to the destruction of the temple and the city of Jerusalem. We, too, can look around today and see defilement in people's minds and hearts.

Then Asaph saw death. "The dead bodies of Your servants they have given as food for the birds of the heavens.... Their blood they have shed like water all around Jerusalem" (vv. 2,3). Our world is basically a cemetery. The wages of sin is death. We see it wherever we look.

Asaph also saw derision. "We have become a reproach to our neighbors, a scorn and derision to those who are around us" (v. 4). People today don't magnify the Lord; they laugh at Him. They laugh at the Church, at God's people. We are a derided people because so often it looks as though we are losing and they have won the battle.

Finally, Asaph saw the enemy devouring. "For they have devoured Jacob, and laid waste his dwelling place" (v. 7). Yes, the devouring, destroying hand of Satan was at work. But Asaph says, "Help us, O God of our salvation." Why? "For the glory of Your name; and deliver us" (v. 9). How? "And provide atonement for our sins, for Your name's sake!" Asaph isn't concerned so much about his own comfort as he is about God's glory. So he prays, "Help us."

God helps by purging us from our sins. In addition, verses 11 and 12 tell us that He will come and save us. How wonderful that day will be when Jesus Christ comes to deliver us! Meanwhile, in the world we see defilement, death, derision, destruction and devouring. Now is the time to cry and say, "O God, for the glory of Your name, help us do Your will."

Satan is at work in the world, but one day God will be glorified, and He will deliver His people from this world. God promises to be with you and to be your Salvation. Rest on that promise.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 23, 2006, 02:45:08 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 80:1-7

Restoration

Read Psalm 80:1-7

"Restore us, O God; cause Your face to shine, and we shall be saved" (v. 3). We find this prayer three times in Psalm 80. Christians ought to pray this every day.

We certainly ought to pray this in times of affliction. The people of Israel were going through the affliction of God. He was angry with them and had to chasten them. The psalmist says, "You are feeding us with the bread of tears. We are drinking our tears. We are a strife to our neighbors. Our enemies are laughing at us" (vv. 5,6). Asaph doesn't pray for the Lord to change his circumstances. Rather, he says, "Lord, restore us. We have wandered away. We are not what we ought to be. Turn us right again."

We also ought to pray Asaph's prayer in times of rebellion. God's people were rebelling against Him, and that's why He was chastening them. But in spite of their failures, in spite of their unbelief, God never changes. The psalmist prays, "O Lord God of hosts, how long will You be angry against the prayer of Your people?" (v. 4).

What was wrong with their prayers? They were praying selfishly for their own comfort and deliverance. They weren't thinking about the glory of God. But Asaph is different. He prays for their restoration. When you look at your failure, immediately look for God's favor and His salvation.

There are times when you need God's restoration. Sometimes He afflicts you and chastens you because His glory is at stake--He wants you to glorify Him. Have you failed God? Do you need His restoration? Pray Asaph's prayer today from your heart.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 25 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the