Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:55:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Prayer, Praise and Promises
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prayer, Praise and Promises  (Read 93833 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 01, 2006, 11:14:55 AM »

Author: Warren Wiersbe
Source: Prayer, Praise and Promises
Scripture Reference 1 Corinthians 12:7-9 Matthew 6:11 Psalm 68:19-27

Burdens and Benefits

Read Psalm 68:19-27

"Blessed be the Lord, who daily loads us with benefits, the God of our salvation!" (v. 19). We can translate that verse, "Blessed be the Lord, who daily bears our burdens." Let's think about benefits and burdens. God is the One who gives us the burdens of life. Sometimes we bring burdens upon ourselves by our disobedience, rebellion, sin, unbelief, lack of love and unkindness. But if we are walking in the will of God on the path of His choosing, and if we have burdens to bear, He is the One who has given them to us. Let's view the burdens of life as benefits.

Perhaps the greatest example of this is the Apostle Paul. How he was burdened with his thorn in the flesh! He prayed three times that God would take it away. Instead, God turned that burden into a benefit. He told Paul, "I'm going to give you the grace that you need" (see II Cor. 12:7-9). Sometimes God answers prayer by taking things away. Sometimes He answers prayer by adding things to us. That's what he did for Paul, and the burden became a benefit.

"But," you say, "I have some heavy burdens. I don't see much benefit to them." Notice the word daily in verse 19: "Blessed be the Lord, who daily loads us with benefits." We live a day at a time. To think of all of life's burdens coming at once can be crushing. Remember what you have been through in your life. You've been through circumstances you never thought you would get through. But God brought you through. "Give us this day our daily bread" (Matt. 6:11). "And, Lord, give us this day our daily burdens and benefits."

God knows how much we can bear, and His grace is sufficient for each day. But there is another dimension to our burdens. God can turn them into benefits. Has He given you a heavy burden? Perhaps He wants to turn it into a benefit and do something special for you.

This devotional is freely distributed by Back To The Bible.
Did you enjoy this devotional?
Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
FREE E-mail Subscription:
http://www.backtothebible.org/aboutus/email_entry.htm

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 01, 2006, 11:16:18 AM »

Scripture Reference Isaiah 40:31 James 4:2 Psalm 68:28-35

How Strong is God?

Read Psalm 68:28-35

We don't go far on our own strength. Here, David instructs us how to understand and appropriate the strength of God. He tells us to ascribe strength to God. Realize that He is a God of strength. "His excellence is over Israel, and His strength is in the clouds" (v. 34). That means His strength is high up. God can get strength even from the clouds (nothing but rolling vapor). We think of God as loving, gracious and merciful. But let's also think of Him as strong.

We also need to ask for strength from God. "Strengthen, O God, what You have done for us" (v. 28). We have every privilege to come and ask God for the strength we need today. "But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint" (Isa. 40:31). God has already determined what He wants to do. He'll do it when we request it. "You do not have because you do not ask" (James 4:2).

Next, we need to acknowledge our strength is from God. "The God of Israel is He who gives strength and power to His people. Blessed be God" (v. 35). If you need strength today, don't look to yourself or to anyone else. Look up, because God is the God of strength, and He wants to command strength for you if you'll ask Him.

Often Satan will tempt you to draw your strength from the world's substitutes. When that happens, remember the truths of this psalm. When you need strength to continue the battle, spend time in prayer with God. Ascribe strength to Him, ask Him for strength and acknowledge that your strength is from Him.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 01, 2006, 11:17:28 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 69:1-12

The Worst Death

Read Psalm 69:1-12

I was chatting about death with a neighbor once, using it as an opportunity to witness to him. We were discussing what the most difficult way to die would be. I finally said, "Perhaps the most difficult way to die would be to be smothered--to be sinking in quicksand and be smothered."

David had that kind of experience spiritually. "Save me, O God! For the waters have come up to my neck. I sink in deep mire, where there is no standing; I have come into deep waters, where the floods overflow me" (vv. 1, 2). It's bad enough to be sinking in quicksand, but David also had the floods coming over him. What did he do? He did what every Christian should do. First, he waited. "My throat is dry; my eyes fail while I wait for my God" (v. 3). "Let not those who wait for You, O Lord God of hosts, be ashamed" (v. 6). David knew the situation was in God's control. Yes, he did cry out to God for rescue. Nothing is wrong with that. But he also waited.

Second, he wept. "When I wept and chastened my soul with fasting, that became my reproach" (v. 10). Reproach is used again and again in Psalm 69. (This is a messianic psalm that talks about the reproach Jesus endured for us.) Nothing is wrong with weeping. Pain hurts, and some situations can break your heart. David waited and wept, and he knew that God was going to see him through.

Third, he watched. "Let not those who wait for You, O Lord God of hosts, be ashamed because of me; let not those who seek You be confounded because of me, O God of Israel" (v. 6). In other words David says, "It's not important what happens to me. But I don't want to create any problems for anybody else." Throughout this psalm David becomes more and more like the Lord. When you find yourself sinking, wait, weep, watch and let God work.

When you find yourself sinking in the quicksand, there is little else you can do but cry to the Lord. Sometimes He allows the "quicksand" experiences to turn you to Him. Wait for God. Acknowledge that He is in control. Give Him the pieces of your broken heart and watch Him work for you. You can depend on His faithfulness.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 01, 2006, 11:18:38 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 69:8-9 John 2:17 Philippians 3:10 Psalm 69:13-21

No Comforters

Read Psalm 69:13-21

"Reproach has broken my heart, and I am full of heaviness; I looked for someone to take pity, but there was none; and for comforters, but I found none" (v. 20). When we read Psalm 69, we meet Jesus Christ, for many verses from this psalm are quoted in the New Testament, relating to Him. For example, "I have become a stranger to my brothers, an alien to my mother's children; because zeal for Your house has eaten me up, and the reproaches of those who reproach You have fallen on me" (vv. 8,9; John 2:17). David is going through difficulty, and it is making him more like Jesus. Therefore, it enabled him to reveal the Lord to us.

What breaks your heart? Is it broken when you can't have your way? Is it broken when something is taken away from you? Jesus and David both said, "Reproach has broken my heart" (v. 20). What can you do about a broken heart? David prayed, "Deliver me. Hear me. Draw near to my soul. Redeem me" (vv. 14,16,18). And God answered him.

Sometimes you bear reproach because of others. You feel heavy, brokenhearted and alone. But Jesus went through all of this for us. Be thankful that you can share in the fellowship of His sufferings (Phil. 3:10). Also, while others are going through this experience, be an encouragement to them. If you've known what it's like to have a broken heart, and if you've looked for someone to take pity, then you know how much it means to have a friend. Today, find someone with a broken heart and start to bring healing to him.

When your heart is broken, be encouraged that Jesus knows what you are going through and that you are becoming like Him. But there's another purpose: You can help others whose hearts are broken. God will use you to help bring healing to them. Don't waste your experiences; they have great value.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 01, 2006, 11:19:44 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 69:22-36 Acts 16:16-34

Recipe for Rejoicing

Read Psalm 69:22-36

"I will praise the name of God with a song and will magnify Him with thanksgiving." This verse seems out of place here, because this psalm has an atmosphere of trial and sorrow. Six times we find the word reproach in Psalm 69. David cries out to God for help, so it's strange to find him saying, "I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify Him with thanksgiving." When you are sinking, when you think that everything has gone wrong, when others are persecuting you and smiting you, praise the name of God with a song.

Paul and Silas must have thought of verse 30 when they were suffering in jail in Philippi (see Acts 16:16-34). They were in the stocks. They had been humiliated and arrested. Their rights were taken from them. They had been beaten with rods, and their bodies ached. But they began to sing and praise God. The concert brought down the house, and the jailer was saved. When you find yourself sinking, start singing.

Magnify the Lord. When I hurt, I have a tendency to magnify myself. I think, Nobody ever felt the way I feel. Nobody's ever been through what I've been through. But David said, "I'm not going to do that. I'm going to magnify the Lord."

Thank the Lord. Anyone can thank Him when things are going well. Anyone can thank Him in the sunshine. But when you are sinking in the deep mire, it's difficult to give thanks to God. But we need to do so.

Here you have a threefold recipe for rejoicing when you are sinking: Praise the name of the Lord, seek to magnify Him and bring your thanksgiving from your heart.

Are you overwhelmed by your circumstances? Trust the Lord and follow this recipe. He will cause you to rejoice.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 01, 2006, 11:20:52 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 69:30 Romans 8:28 Psalm 70:1-5

Hurry Up, God!

Read Psalm 70:1-5

Has God ever been slow in your life? He was in David's. This undoubtedly was one of the psalms written when David was being harassed by King Saul. So he cries out, "Lord, why don't You do something? You're being awfully slow."

Have you ever pondered the delays of God? He is never in a hurry, but once He starts to work, watch out! He patiently accomplishes His work. David pleads, "Make haste, make haste" (v. 1). He repeats his plea in verse 5: "I am poor and needy; make haste to me, O God! You are my help and my deliverer; O Lord, do not delay." If right now it seems as though God is tarrying instead of working, if it seems as though He is delaying instead of acting, what should you do? Seek Him and wait on Him and love Him. Verse 4 says it beautifully: "Let all those who seek You rejoice and be glad in You; and let those who love Your salvation say continually, 'Let God be magnified!"' We've seen that phrase before. David, when he was sinking, said, "I . . . will magnify Him with thanksgiving" (Ps. 69:30).

Here's a good lesson for us. When God is not moving as rapidly as we think He should, when our timetables do not coincide, what should we do? Rejoice in Him, love Him and magnify Him. Let Him worry about the timetable. God is always working, and we know that all things are working together for good (Rom. 8:28). But He waits for the right time to reveal His victories. Let Him watch the clock.

God's delays are a part of your character-building process. The next time God gives you a delay, encourage yourself by remembering that He never stops working for you, and He knows when and how to help you. Submit to His timetable and His care.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 01, 2006, 11:22:04 AM »

Scripture Reference

When I Am Old

Read Psalm 71:1-11

The older I become, the more I appreciate this psalm. It focuses on God's special blessings for those who are getting older. "Do not cast me off in the time of old age; do not forsake me when my strength fails" (v. 9).

What does God do for us as we get older? He helps us meet and solve some of the problems that we encounter in our later years. Take the problem of weakness, for example. That's what David talks about in verse 9: "Do not forsake me when my strength fails." The outward man is failing, but the inward man can be renewed day by day. God will provide you with the spiritual strength that you need."

Another problem we face as we get older is confusion. "In You, O Lord, I put my trust; let me never be put to shame [confusion]" (v. 1). We can't always keep up with so many rapid changes in this world. As we get older, we might say, "I don't quite know what's going on." But God says, "Look, don't worry about it. You trust Me, and I'll never allow you to be confused."

A third problem we experience is that of living in the past. Too often we say, "Back in the good old days...." I've concluded that perhaps the good old days were not that good. David acknowledges, "For You are my hope, O Lord God" (v. 5). He was living in the future. We don't know what the future holds, but we do know that God holds our future.

Finally, we may face the problem of complaining. How easy it is to complain as we grow older. But David said, "Let my mouth be filled with Your praise and with Your glory all the day" (v. 8). When we're walking with the Lord, He takes care of weakness and confusion. He takes care of our fear of the future. He also substitutes praise for complaining, and therefore, we grow old graciously.

Each phase of life has unique advantages and problems. And God stays with you through each phase. Are you facing the problems of old age? Are you struggling with weakness, confusion, living in the past and complaining? Bring your fears to God. He delights in caring for His people.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 01, 2006, 11:23:12 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 71:12-22

For Those Who Follow

Read Psalm 71:12-24

As we get older, things change. We must drop some things, and we must start others. Not much goes on continually--except in Psalm 71. David uses the word continually three times. First, he tells us that we can continually resort to the Lord in prayer: "Be my strong refuge, to which I may resort continually" (v. 3). No matter how old we get, we can pray, because the Lord never fails. We also can have continual praise. "My praise shall be continually of You" (v. 6). If prayer is without ceasing, then praise will be without ceasing. David also tells us, "I will hope continually" (v. 14).

"Now also when I am old and grayheaded, O God, do not forsake me, until I declare Your strength to this generation, Your power to everyone who is to come" (v. 18). Notice that David's focus is not simply on his needs. He wants to have his needs met so he can share the Lord with others. "You shall increase my greatness and comfort me on every side.... I will praise You" (vv. 21,22).

If we are resorting to the Lord continually in prayer, if we are rejoicing in Him continually in praise, if we are hoping in Him continually and laying hold of His promises, if we are saying that the best is yet to come and praise Him more and more, then we can grow old and grayheaded without fear. We'll be able to glorify the Lord, and we'll be able to share Him with others in the next generation. What kind of heritage are you leaving for future generations? What are you teaching them by word and example about God's strength and power? Will others put their faith in the Lord on the basis of your life and testimony?

You can always live to bring glory to God no matter what your age is. Those of us who are older can do that in a special way; we can teach the younger generation about His faithfulness. Preserve your Christian heritage for future generations. Let your life be a continual testimony for God.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 01, 2006, 11:24:23 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 72:1-11

Greater Than Solomon

Read Psalm 72:1-11

Psalm 72 was written for Solomon, probably when he became king. But looking beyond this psalm, we will see someone who is greater than Solomon--Jesus Christ. Notice what the writer says, "Give the king Your judgments, O God, and Your righteousness to the king's Son" (v. 1). In fact, he mentions righteousness several times in this psalm. "He will judge Your people with righteousness" (v. 2). "The mountains will bring peace to the people, and the little hills, by righteousness" (v. 3). "In His days the righteous shall flourish" (v. 7). Jesus is to us the righteousness of God. The psalmist wants Solomon to be a righteous man, to have the kind of integrity and honesty that it takes to exercise kingly judgment. Jesus Christ has never made a mistake. He is our righteousness, and He does what is righteous.

Next, the writer talks about peace. "The mountains will bring peace to the people" (v. 3). "In His days the righteous shall flourish, and abundance of peace, until the moon is no more" (v. 7). We can have righteousness without peace. We can turn soldiers loose and let them execute people who are breaking the law. But we can't have peace without righteousness. We must first have righteousness with God before we can have peace with Him.

The righteousness and peace of our Lord are emphasized in the Book of Hebrews, in the person of Melchizedek. Jesus is the King of righteousness and peace. He also brings refreshment. "He shall come down like rain upon the mown grass, like showers that water the earth" (v. 6). We have days when our hearts are dry like a desert. But the Lord showers blessings upon us and produces fruitfulness in us, and all of this leads to victory. "All kings shall fall down before Him; all nations shall serve Him" (v. 11). We worship and obey Him who is infinitely greater than Solomon.

One day Christ will establish His kingdom on the earth. Through His righteous rule He will bring peace. Today, He establishes His kingdom in the hearts and lives of believers. Because of His righteousness, you may have the peace of God in your heart. Do you have this peace?

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 02, 2006, 09:21:48 PM »

Scripture Reference Acts 3:6 Philippians 2:9 Matthew 1:21 Ephesians 1:3 Romans 10:13 Psalm 72:12-20

What a Name!

Read Psalm 72:12-20

"His name shall endure forever; His name shall continue as long as the sun. And men shall be blessed in Him; all nations shall call Him blessed" (v. 17). Originally, that was written about Solomon. But as we read this verse, we see that it also refers to Jesus.

It speaks of His name. "You shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins"(Matt. 1:21). That's what His name means--Savior. What kind of a name is it? It is enduring: "His name shall endure forever" (v. 17). I'm a student of biography. When I go to used-book sales, I buy books about old people--old preachers, missionaries and statesmen--folks who have been forgotten. Have you ever read an old edition of an encyclopedia and thought, Who are these people? I've never heard of them. Their names did not endure. In fact, some of the names in the headlines today will be forgotten a few months from now. But not so with Jesus. He has the enduring name, a name that "is above every name" (Phil. 2:9).

Jesus also has an enriching name. "Men shall be blessed in Him." The names of some people don't bring blessing--they bring cursing. You certainly wouldn't call your son "Judas" or your daughter "Jezebel." But Jesus has an enriching name. It brings blessing. We have been blessed in Him "with every spiritual blessing" (Eph. 1:3).

His name also is an enabling name. "Blessed be the Lord God, the God of Israel, who only does wondrous things!" (v. 18). God enables us, through the name of Jesus, to do wonderful things. In the Book of Acts we find the name of Jesus on the lips of the apostles. "In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk" (3:6). What a privilege it is to know His name. What a privilege it is to have the authority of His name as we pray and serve Him.

There is no other name like Jesus. It is full of power and authority. It is enduring and brings blessing and enablement to those who know His name. Do you know Jesus as your Savior? "Whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved" (Rom. 10:13).

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 04, 2006, 02:13:48 AM »

Scripture Reference 2 Peter 1:11 John 17:24 1 Thessalonians 5:10 Psalm 23:4 Isaiah 41:10 Matthew 1:23 Isaiah 43:2 Proverbs 4:18 John 14:2-3 1 Peter 1:3 Philippians 4:4 Psalm 73:1-28

Thanksgiving Message

Read Psalm 73:1-28

Asaph begins by standing true in what he believes about God, but he slips because he starts to look at neighbors and becomes envious. He wonders why the wicked prosper. When he loses his praise, he starts stumbling and suffering. He should have sought answers by looking up, not by looking around or within.

Asaph understands the end of the evil ones. The key question is not "Where are you?" but "Where are you going?" Are you taking the broad road that leads to destruction or the narrow road that leads to life (v. 20)? The psalmist looks to God and makes several discoveries. First, he discovers that we can be thankful for the guarantee of His presence. His name is Immanuel, which means "God with us" (Matt. 1:23; Isa. 41:10; 43:2; Ps. 23:4).

Second, we have the grasp of His hand. We see God's powerful hand in creation. We see His gentle hand lead us beside the still waters. And we see His pierced hands on the cross as He dies for us.

Third, we have the guidance of His counsel. God's commands and commissions are for everyone, but He knows each of us personally. He knew us in the womb and has arranged for us the lives He wants us to live. Live one day at a time and walk one step at a time (Prov. 4:18 ). That counsel comes from the Word of God and through prayer.

Finally, we will have the glory of His heaven. As Christians, we know we are going to heaven because of the price Jesus paid on the cross (I Thess. 5:10), the promise He made (John 14:2,3) and the prayer He prayed (John 17:24). We may not understand completely today, but we have a future glory (I Pet. 1:3; II Pet. 1:11; Phil 4:4).

As a Christian, you have much for which to be thankful. God is with you. When you find yourself becoming frustrated by the world's inequalities, stop, look up and live thanks to God for His blessings.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 04, 2006, 03:02:33 PM »

Scripture Reference Matthew 6:33-33 Psalm 73:1-12

Distorted Vision

Read Psalm 73:1-12

When we are burdened and bothered by what we see in this world, we need to read this psalm. It starts with a wonderful affirmation of faith. "Truly God is good to Israel, to such as are pure in heart" (v. 1). Asaph believes in the God of Israel, and he believes that God honors and rewards those who keep their lives clean. But in verse 2 he turns his eyes off of God, and he starts looking around at other people. "But as for me, my feet had almost stumbled; my steps had nearly slipped. For I was envious of the boastful, when I saw the prosperity of the wicked" (vv. 2,3).

Let's look at his two major problems. First, something is wrong with his vision. He is not looking to God. He is looking at the wicked people around him. Who are these people? He describes them in verses 4-9. "For there are no pangs in their death, but their strength is firm" (v. 4). They don't get sick; they don't have the bills others have. They're not troubled. They are proud and violent. "Their eyes bulge with abundance; they have more than heart could wish" (v. 7), yet they are corrupt. They set their mouth against God. In verse 10 he says, "Waters of a full cup are drained by them." Asaph was drinking a bitter cup. His vision was distorted. This is what happens when we walk by sight instead of by faith.

Second, something is wrong with his values. "I was envious . . . when I saw the prosperity of the wicked" (v. 3). Does he think that people without God are prosperous? Has his values suddenly changed? The psalmist is living by the values of the world, not the values of the world to come. "They increase in riches" (v. 12)--but what kind of riches? When your feet start to slip and you start questioning God's goodness and His government in the world, check your vision and your values.

To live the life of faith, you need to understand God's perspective on the world. You must walk by faith, not sight. Keep your eyes on the Lord and don't conform to the values of this world. God is faithful to provide. "Seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you" (Matt. 6:33).

http://www.backtothebible.org/devotions/

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 09, 2006, 09:19:44 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 73:13-17

God's Perspective

Read Psalm 73:13-17

Is it really worth it to be a dedicated Christian? Is it worth it to obey the Lord when those who disobey Him seem to be more prosperous than we are? That's what Asaph wondered when he wrote Psalm 73. In the first 12 verses he thought he had really missed the good life: "I have cleansed my heart in vain, and washed my hands in innocence. For all day long I have been plagued, and chastened every morning. If I had said, 'I will speak thus,' behold, I would have been untrue to the generation of Your children" (vv. 13-15). How does it all end? "It was too painful for me--until I went into the sanctuary of God; then I understood their end" (vv. 16,17). Asaph's perspective was wrong, and that made him question his life until he sought God.

If you look at a distant mountain from one vantage point, you see one thing. But if you move closer or farther back, you see something else. The same thing is true with pictures, such as a beautiful painting or a photograph in a gallery. Your perspective doesn't change the painting or the facts, but it does change your reaction to the facts. So we need to go into the sanctuary of God. We need to know from His point of view what it means to live for the Lord.

Have you cleansed your heart in vain? Of course not. We all want a clean heart. Have you washed your hands in innocence? We all want clean hands. Is your tongue speaking something it shouldn't speak? According to verse 15, don't be afraid. Tell God exactly how you feel. Is your mind perplexed? Is your heart pained? Then you need to go to the sanctuary of God. That means getting God's point of view by spending time with Him in the Word, in prayer and in meditation.

Check your values with God's values and your vision with His point of view. Make sure your perspective is the perspective of heaven. That will keep your feet from slipping, and you'll walk with God in victory.

In times of need, your point of view can make a big difference. God wants us to gain His perspective. To do that, you must enter His sanctuary. Meditate on the Word, and fill your heart and mind with it. Then bring your burden to the Lord. He will help you gain His point of view.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 09, 2006, 09:21:07 AM »

Scripture Reference Psalm 73:18-28

Seeing Beyond

Read Psalm 73:18-28

You will guide me with Your counsel, and afterward receive me to glory" (v. 24). Asaph wrote this verse after he had gone through a period of doubt, and it was a wonderful conclusion to his severe depression. He came out of his experience with several certainties.

First, God holds us. "Nevertheless I am continually with You; You hold me by my right hand" (v. 23). The wicked may have violence, bounty, prosperity and a full cup of apparent blessing. But we have God, and He holds us.

Second, God guides us. "You will guide me with Your counsel, and afterward receive me to glory" (v. 24). That's the important thing--the afterward. What is going to happen afterward? We can be sure that we will be with Him forever. It makes little difference what happens to us materially and physically in this life as long as we have riches in the next life. Some who are rich in this world will be poor in the next world. But many who are poor in this world will be rich in the next world.

Third, God strengthens us. "My flesh and my heart fail; but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever" (v. 26). Fourth, God helps us in every stage of life. "But it is good for me to draw near to God" (v. 28). Wherever we are, whatever we're going through, we must draw near to God. "I have put my trust in the Lord God, that I may declare all Your works" (v. 28).

The promise of an eternal home in heaven with the Lord encourages you in this life. God purchased you with a great price, and He keeps and protects you through everything. What assurances you have!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 09, 2006, 09:22:21 AM »

Scripture Reference Jeremiah 7:11 Psalm 74:1-11

A New Temple

Read Psalm 74:1-11

It must have been difficult for the Jewish people to watch the Babylonians destroy their city and temple. No wonder Asaph wrote, "O God, why have You cast us off forever? Why does Your anger smoke against the sheep of Your pasture?" (v. 1). Keep in mind that this happened because the people had sinned. They had their great city. They had their beautiful temple. The problem was they trusted the city and the temple, but they did not obey the Lord. In their sin, they had defiled the temple. Jeremiah said they had turned it into a den of thieves (Jer. 7:11). God would not permit this, so He allowed the Babylonians to destroy the city and the temple. Psalm 74 reveals the heartbreak of Asaph.

Even today the Enemy is destroying God's work. "They seem like men who lift up axes among the thick trees" (v. 5). What can God's people do? Notice what Asaph said about God's people. We are the sheep of His pasture (v. 1). He's the Good Shepherd, and He has given His life for the sheep. What defense do sheep have against a Babylonian army? Jesus, the Shepherd.

We are also God's congregation. "Remember Your congregation, which You have purchased of old, the tribe of Your inheritance, which You have redeemed" (v. 2). We are a purchased and redeemed people. "Remember . . . this Mount Zion where You have dwelt"(v. 2). God lives with us. Jerusalem and the temple were destroyed, but He had even greater things in store. Jesus came to earth and revealed the glory of God. Now He's building a new temple, His Church, and it can never be destroyed.

God is your trust. If you trust Him, you will want to obey Him. Be careful that you don't misplace your trust in the world's substitutes. The Enemy will do all he can to divert your trust in God. Keep trusting in the Lord and rejoice that He never fails.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the