Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:55:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  What do you think about this?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do you think about this?  (Read 3855 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2003, 10:22:06 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Allinall,

I think your pastor's salary is very reasonable. $40,000 a year would not be lavish at all, especially considering he has three or more children to raise. I tried to raise two children on about that much, and I can tell you it is difficult. It isn't poverty, but you would have to be extremely careful with every expense if you expected everyone to eat.

In Christ,
Tom

Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2003, 03:13:44 AM »

Welcome!  I find it very encouraging and edifying.

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2003, 07:35:24 PM »

Do you think a Pastor should make more than the poorest faithful tither in his congregation?

Referencing the word pastor it was found once in the Bible.

Ephesians 4:11-   And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

Strongs gives it as 4166- pastors, a shepherd.

Are pastors preachers, envangelists? Or are they bishops, elders? What does scripture say? Why are pastors, (preachers) of today refered to as "reverend"? How did this unscriptural practice start?

Isn't God's name the one that is holy and reverend?

Psalms 111:9.  He sent redemption unto his people: he hath commanded his covenant for ever: holy and reverend is his name.

Churches sent out,(supported), preachers to preach the good news of Jesus Christ to the lost. The local congregations were overseen by bishops and administrated by deacons. A preacher being paid to tell the good news every Sunday and Wednesday evening to Christians that already know it and have come to Christ seems not scriptural. Perhaps a reason why the lost remain lost today. Christians are cloistered in their assembly buildings listening over and over to the evangelist tell of the gospel and the world never hears it.

What a waste of the preachers salary. It is misused.
It is not the preachers job alone to visit the sick, guide the misguided in the congregation, feed the hungry, cloth the naked, quench the thirsties thirst, show the love of God through Jesus. These are things all Christians are to be working and the preacher should be out preaching Jesus to the lost of the world!

Support your local Christian.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2003, 09:38:45 PM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Ollie,

There would be pros and cons in nearly all approaches to being a Pastor. I understand what you are saying above, but let me give you another thought.

Maybe the pastor does a mix of preaching tasks while they are young, strong, and healthy. That would include an outreach type of ministry in whatever location that became available. Maybe the ministry in the church is designed to build up believers in the Word and hopefully encourage others into the ministry and mission fields. Maybe the ministry at the church is also mixed (i.e. services specifically designed for the lost and babes, services designed for the growing believers, and services designed for deeper study by the mature believers), Health will give out sooner or later for the pastor trying to do all of these things at once. However, maybe some in the core congregation were built up, filled the voids, increased the ministry, and went on to do the same thing.

In Christ,
Tom

Royo

I love Jesus

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2003, 03:03:28 AM »

My thoughts.
I run an Apt./rooming house. 32 apts. Now some people in this position get only a free place to live. But my boss wants me to be here full time, so he pays me a good salary, so I won't have to get an outside job.
I see it the same with local churches. If a church has set itself up in such a way, that they want and need their pastor to be fulltime, then giving him a salary is sensible. (but should not be taken advantage of by the pastor).
The problem is that there are not really all that many 'local churches'. Most are a part of some bigger religious org., and the local ones like this all have to give to the religion as a whole. (sorry, I detest organized religion).
If we did as they did in Acts, and gathered in small groups in a local church, this problem would not exist. As small local churches have begun to be 'popular' again, we see the large religions doing whatever it takes to keep people; including the ordaining of homosexuals.
George Mueller was told by God to open an orphanage to take care of the many orphans in England at the turn of the century. He said, "O.K. God, but you will have to provide all the money; I will never ask for any money." Every time George had a need, he went to God in prayer. And God saw that he got all he needed. Sometimes the exact amount.
If church was as it should be, it would be like this. God would provide for all the needs of that local church. But alas, most churches are not run today as Tom's Dad ran his. Thay are ran almost like a business, with the pastors taught in Bible school just how to run it.
The bottom line is that we cannot try to determine how to run a church scripturally today, since most churches are not willing to go by the scriptures as a guide for their church.
It is sad, but it is reallity.
As for the few Godly churches out there, I think each body will be able to determine this for themselves, and will have no problems. The body itself will decide what works best for them, and will be happy with it. And so will our Lord.
Yours in Christ. Roy

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2003, 08:02:47 AM »

My thoughts.
I run an Apt./rooming house. 32 apts. Now some people in this position get only a free place to live. But my boss wants me to be here full time, so he pays me a good salary, so I won't have to get an outside job.

Oklahoma Howdy to Royo,

It sounds like you have an interesting job. I'm sure there are times when you have your hands full in trying to keep over 30 families happy.

I share many of your thoughts about big, organized religion. I have been spoiled all of my life in attending a small church with a loving congregation. Everyone truly knows everyone else and there is true fellowship. There is a substantial core of the congregation who have attended for over 40 years. We do help to support numerous missions, but we only worry about the bills of our own church. God has always provided, and the excess goes to missions.

In Christ,
Tom

Heidi
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2003, 10:59:31 AM »

I think a pastor should make whatever the congregation wants to give him. Jesus said, "Do not worry what you will eat or what you will wear..." GOD PROVIDES for us. The money we get in life is a GIFT. None of us is entitled to money. When we get it, it's still not ours.  When God means for us to prosper, He means for us to reap the fruits of the spirit. Our happiness then comes from peace, joy, patience, love, etc. and less from greed. It's what the pastor DOES with his money that is his the degree that he is reaping the fruits of the spirit and not attached to material possessions.  
Tamara

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2003, 07:45:19 AM »

Do you think a Pastor should make more than the poorest faithful tither in his congregation?

To be honest with you Wandering, I believe a good Pastor should certainly be paid a good salary.  Just remember his job.  His isn't a 9 to 5p.m. one.
These good men guide, comfort, visit the sick, pray with family and friends, preach, prepare sermons, the list goes on.  He is a father figure to his congregation.  His advice is freely given and he is there any time anyone needs him.
He is dedicated to his God, and his job as well as his wife and family.
I often just pop an anonymous $100 note in an unmarked envelope and place it in our minister's letterbox at night time.
You'e no idea how many times his wife has said "We were running so short of money and somebody put $100 in our letterbox..we were overjoyed."  And that, it how I tithe!  But, it's a little secret!!

Love...Tamara.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the