Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:21:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  What do you think about this?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What do you think about this?  (Read 3807 times)
Wandering Saint

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2003, 11:38:13 PM »

Do you think a Pastor should make more than the poorest faithful tither in his congregation?
a.b.

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2003, 11:59:02 AM »

The Bible does not state HOW MUCH but it does say the pastor should be paid:

Every church should have a board of trustees that consist of
wise, honest, Holy Ghost filled members that will attend to the
business end of the ministry (Acts 6:3).  The board should obey what is said in 1 Timothy 5:17-18 and 1 Corinthians 9:11
thru 15.  A full-time pastor should be paid according to the needs of their household. A ballpark figure could be commesurate with the average pay for a manager of a company.  

The law of the land states that a pastor can be given a housing allowance, without being taxed.  That means that the church can pay the pastor's rent; but this is based on the church's ability to do so as well as other guidelines determined by IRS (you'd have to research tax laws for your state.)

Billy Graham was paid one salary throughout his career and never raised it because he did not want to grow fond of riches
or bring reproach on the ministry and the name of God.  I am not sure but I think the ministry also paid for his home, which
he has lived in for his entire career.  I wish more preachers were like him, don't you?
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2003, 06:14:13 PM »

Well, I don't think anyone's salary is based on another man's work; the salary is based upon what the man himself does. And a pastor is taking care of eternal souls-his work is not less worthy of pay than a secular job, but moreso.

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2003, 08:16:29 PM »

Paul worked for his income.  'Tho he said "...the Lord commanded that those who proclaim the gospel should get their living by the gospel."  

He goes on to add, tho, "But I have made no use of any of these rights, nor am I writing this to secure any such provision..."   I Cor. 9:14-15

Under either duty you choose not to accept payment for your ministry, instead working yourself separately or, 2) under "Happiness" you gladly render service free of charge--but, that might be when you would equally gladly accept whatever was paid you.

Obviously, a parish or assembly or congregation can pay you only what they can afford.  In happiness you learn to make do with whatever you have...

Smiley
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2003, 12:57:32 AM »

I don't understand why no one else will work for free, but they expect pastors to do this. If we truly love the Lord and our own souls, why would we not love His servant enough to care for his needs? The pastor will take care of everyone's eternal needs, but no one should take care of His temporal ones? We pay the CEO for the cookies we eat. The factory janitor for the toothbrush we use after we eat the cookies. We pay middle management on the cat food. Or dog food. Or gerbil food. But a pastor who cares for our eternity is supposed to live in squalor, or care for the sheep without being cared for himself. This does not imply a heavy esteem for what he does, or even the souls of those who feel this way. Here God handed His own Son over to death for us, a brutal agonizing death, and He thought it not too much to pay! And this for sinners who have nothing, I mean nothing, to offer Him. Should we *really* begrudge His servant his daily needs after this? I would think that would make God very angry. Our pastor gets paid a solid middle class salary plus housing-enough to live quite comfortably with his family and take his family on vacation from time to time. I'm happy with that. Why is he who does the most noble work treated with the least respect and dignity? There is something deeply wrong with this. If we're not living under the same exact conditions we expect our pastor to live under, it's a double standard. 2 cents.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2003, 06:26:42 AM »

Under either duty you choose not to accept payment for your ministry, instead working yourself separately or, 2) under "Happiness" you gladly render service free of charge--but, that might be when you would equally gladly accept whatever was paid you.

Oklahoma Howdy to Symphony,

I know many who spent their lives in full-time ministry and never had a salary, housing allowance, or guarantees for anything. Further, they didn't ask for offerings. They had what is called freewill offerings, and they trusted God to provide for their needs. It's not ironic that those needs were provided.

Some were too poor to give money and gave food from the garden or meat. Further, all of the ministers I'm thinking about raised medium sized families, including my own. Yes, I am preacher's kid.  Wink

In Christ.

a.b.

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2003, 09:48:42 AM »

I agree 100% with all that has been said about a pastor's salary.  Giving food, money, or clothing is a great idea.  Remember the story of Elijah and the widow woman who made
a cake for Elijah with little bit she had left and God blessed her
abundantly.  I believe God appreciates those who show appreciation for his servants... Smiley

What do you think, Wandering Saint?
faithful one

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2003, 10:18:23 AM »

Truly we are to appreciate those who labour for Christ Jesus.In 2 Corinthians 8:1-2 Paul testifies how the churches of Macedonia in a great trial of affliction the abundance of their joy and their deep poverty abounded inthe riches of their liberality.....v4 that we would receive the gift and the fellowship of the ministering to the saints
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2003, 07:47:04 PM »

Exactly, and Paul mentions that it's a right [I Corinthians 9:4]. If the minister can and wants to sacrifice the right himself, he can because it's his, but I don't think there is a scriptural basis for someone else removing his right for him, unless someone knows of a scripture. God always enables his saints to provide for the workers of the field [Luke 12:27]; He doesn't will a church He doesn't provide for, and we as the congregation are to be the natural means of God's provision and grace. As it is written:
Do not take along any gold or copper or silver in your belts; take no bag for the journey, or extra tunic, or sandals or a staff; for the worker is worth his keep. Matthew 10:9-10.

And it's good for us to give. It keeps our priorities straight. Plus it's great fun! Giving feels good. And we're only trading the temporal trinkets of this world for the eternal riches that cannot diminish! As it is written: He who receives you receives Me, and and he who receives Me receives the one who sent Me. Anyone who receives a prophet will receive a prophet's reward, and anyone who receives a righteous man because he is righteous man because he is a righteous man receives a righteous man's reward. And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward. Matthew 10:40-42. None too shabby, I daresay.

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2003, 05:27:54 PM »

(Whitehorse has gerbils...)

I think it says somewhere the minister should receive double honor??

But that's a good point:  We have the assumption pastors should have only the bare minimum.  
Knox

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2003, 07:42:46 PM »

Billy Graham was paid one salary throughout his career and never raised it because he did not want to grow fond of riches
or bring reproach on the ministry and the name of God.  I am not sure but I think the ministry also paid for his home, which
he has lived in for his entire career.  I wish more preachers were like him, don't you?

Billy Graham is a multimillionaire. In 2000, not even working full time, his salary was 197,000 dollars and some change, plus 38,000 housing allowance. Plus benefits and expense account. Estimates of his actual compensation are close to 400,000 dollars a year.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2003, 08:12:46 PM »

But that's a good point:  We have the assumption pastors should have only the bare minimum.  

Oklahoma Howdy to Symphony,

I don't have a problem with a pastor and his family living comfortably. However, I do have a big problem with a pastor living in luxury, driving $70,000 cars, wearing $1,000 suits, having numerous mansions, etc. I think this boils down to love of money, especially when this high roller keeps begging for more from people who are living on fixed incomes or those who will do without necessities for him to continue his lavish lifestyle. Just two cents worth.

In Christ.

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2003, 05:30:57 PM »

yep, good point, bep.

thanks, Knox, I wasn't aware of that about his finances.

I guess it's best to go into the ministry with a determination to keep finances at the bottom of your priorities, b/c of the ever-always-prying eyes, anyway...

The parishners can make a minister's life miserable, I think.

But with a family in today's world, the ever-constant temptation, or curse, of "keeping up with the Jones's", and your kids bringing home the daily news of what all their friends get to do or have...

I think it would be hard for a minister to keep from getting cynical--no matter what he did, living like a pauper, or like a king, he would be snooped and criticized for it, I'm guessing.

Even Jesus referred to that, John came with the bare minimum, Jesus came and partied hardy with the riffraff tax collectors--either way they were condemned...

Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2003, 03:19:09 AM »

I like how my pastor does it.  He receives roughly 40 grandish per year, not including his housing, insurance and vacation time.  He takes his vacations, and uses his salary and his insurance.  But this is what I like most:  He lives in a nice house (bought in part by a inheritance), owns a car, truck and a van, wears nice clothes, and is wanting for nothing financially speaking.  Yet when I've been in his house, I've noticed something you don't get from the outside.  They have lovely, old furniture they've had since they were married (they just married off their middle daughter and are about to marry off the eldest.  Their son is going to college in the fall).  His car was a gift from a member of the church, the truck he bought for deer hunting years ago and has kept up and running, and the van they've had for quite some time as well.  It's neat how he has taken every gift, salary, or what have you, and been a wise, careful steward with each item.  He lent me his truck for a week when our car was in the shop.  We've eaten at his house on more than one occassion.  He's frugal, yet generous.  Buys me breakfast every now and again.  Even after paying for his daughter(s) weddings!  He's a good, if not convicting example of a wise steward, content in whatever state he's in.  Is he worth the 40 grand?  The growth of the local body of believers, not just in numbers, says he's worth much more!  Smiley

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2003, 09:14:26 AM »

Hmmm, food for thought, allinall...

A wise careful steward.  Yes, that's a good testimony.  

Thanks...
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the