Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:11:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Reading The Psalms Daily
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reading The Psalms Daily  (Read 50434 times)
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #285 on: September 01, 2006, 11:34:10 PM »

Ps 129:1 ¶ <<A Song of Ascents.>> "Many a time they have afflicted me from my youth," Let Israel now say-

Ps 129:2 "Many a time they have afflicted me from my youth; Yet they have not prevailed against me.

Ps 129:3 The plowers plowed on my back; They made their furrows long."

Ps 129:4 The LORD is righteous; He has cut in pieces the cords of the wicked.

Ps 129:5 ¶ Let all those who hate Zion Be put to shame and turned back.Ps 129:6 Let them be as the grass on the housetops, Which withers before it grows up,

Ps 129:6 Let them be as the grass on the housetops, Which withers before it grows up,

Ps 129:7 With which the reaper does not fill his hand, Nor he who binds sheaves, his arms.

Ps 129:8 Neither let those who pass by them say, "The blessing of the LORD be upon you; We bless you in the name of the LORD!"

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 01, 2006, 11:36:29 PM »

MHCC

Thankfulness for former deliverances. (1-4)

1-4 The enemies of God's people have very barbarously endeavoured to wear out the saints of the Most High. But the church has been always graciously delivered. Christ has built his church upon a rock. And the Lord has many ways of disabling wicked men from doing the mischief they design against his church. The Lord is righteous in not suffering Israel to be ruined; he has promised to preserve a people to himself.

A believing prospect of the destruction of the enemies of Zion. (5-8)

5-8 While God's people shall flourish as the loaded palm-tree, or the green and fruitful olive, their enemies shall wither as the grass upon the house-tops, which in eastern countries are flat, and what grows there never ripens; so it is with the designs of God's enemies. No wise man will pray the Lord to bless these mowers or reapers. And when we remember how Jesus arose and reigns; how his people have been supported, like the burning but unconsumed bush, we shall not fear.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #287 on: September 02, 2006, 04:25:22 AM »

Ps 130:1 ¶ <<A Song of Ascents.>> Out of the depths I have cried to You, O LORD;

Ps 130:2 Lord, hear my voice! Let Your ears be attentive To the voice of my supplications.

Ps 130:3 If You, LORD, should mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand?

Ps 130:4 But there is forgiveness with You, That You may be feared.

Ps 130:5 ¶ I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, And in His word I do hope.

Ps 130:6 My soul waits for the Lord More than those who watch for the morning-Yes, more than those who watch for the morning.

Ps 130:7 O Israel, hope in the LORD; For with the LORD there is mercy, And with Him is abundant redemption.

Ps 130:8 And He shall redeem Israel From all his iniquities.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #288 on: September 02, 2006, 04:27:34 AM »

MHCC

The psalmist's hope in prayer. (1-4)

1-4 The only way of relief for a sin-entangled soul, is by applying to God alone. Many things present themselves as diversions, many things offer themselves as remedies, but the soul finds that the Lord alone can heal. And until men are sensible of the guilt of sin, and quit all to come at once to God, it is in vain for them to expect any relief. The Holy Ghost gives to such poor souls a fresh sense of their deep necessity, to stir them up in earnest applications, by the prayer of faith, by crying to God. And as they love their souls, as they are concerned for the glory of the Lord, they are not to be wanting in this duty. Why is it that these matters are so long uncertain with them? Is it not from sloth and despondency that they content themselves with common and customary applications to God? Then let us up and be doing; it must be done, and it is attended with safety. We are to humble ourselves before God, as guilty in his sight. Let us acknowledge our sinfulness; we cannot justify ourselves, or plead not guilty. It is our unspeakable comfort that there is forgiveness with him, for that is what we need. Jesus Christ is the great Ransom; he is ever an Advocate for us, and through him we hope to obtain forgiveness. There is forgiveness with thee, not that thou mayest be presumed upon, but that thou mayest be feared. The fear of God often is put for the whole worship of God. The only motive and encouragement for sinners is this, that there is forgiveness with the Lord.

His patience in hope. (5-8)

5-8 It is for the Lord that my soul waits, for the gifts of his grace, and the working of his power. We must hope for that only which he has promised in his word. Like those who wish to see the dawn, being very desirous that light would come long before day; but still more earnestly does a good man long for the tokens of God's favour, and the visits of his grace. Let all that devote themselves to the Lord, cheerfully stay themselves on him. This redemption is redemption from all sin. Jesus Christ saves his people from their sins, both from the condemning and from the commanding power of sin. It is plenteous redemption; there is an all-sufficient fulness in the Redeemer, enough for all, enough for each; therefore enough for me, says the believer. Redemption from sin includes redemption from all other evils, therefore it is a plenteous redemption, through the atoning blood of Jesus, who shall redeem his people from all their sins. All that wait on God for mercy and grace, are sure to have peace.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: September 02, 2006, 04:30:59 AM »

Ps 131:1 ¶ <<A Song of Ascents. Of David.>> LORD, my heart is not haughty, Nor my eyes lofty. Neither do I concern myself with great matters, Nor with things too profound for me.

Ps 131:2 Surely I have calmed and quieted my soul, Like a weaned child with his mother; Like a weaned child is my soul within me.

Ps 131:3 O Israel, hope in the LORD From this time forth and forever.

MHCC

The psalmist's humility. Believers encouraged to trust in God.

- The psalmist aimed at nothing high or great, but to be content in every condition God allotted. Humble saints cannot think so well of themselves as others think of them. The love of God reigning in the heart, will subdue self-love. Where there is a proud heart, there is commonly a proud look. To know God and our duty, is learning sufficiently high for us. It is our wisdom not to meddle with that which does not belong to us. He was well reconciled to every condition the Lord placed him in. He had been as humble as a little child about the age of weaning, and as far from aiming at high things; as entirely at God's disposal, as the child at the disposal of the mother or nurse. We must become as little children, Mt 18:3. Our hearts are desirous of worldly things, cry for them, and are fond of them; but, by the grace of God, a soul that is made holy, is weaned from these things. The child is cross and fretful while in the weaning; but in a day or two it cares no longer for milk, and it can bear stronger food. Thus does a converted soul quiet itself under the loss of what it loved, and disappointments in what it hoped for, and is easy whatever happens. When our condition is not to our mind, we must bring our mind to our condition; then we are easy to ourselves and all about us; then our souls are as a weaned child. And thus the psalmist recommends confidence in God, to all the Israel of God, from his own experience. It is good to hope, and quietly to wait for the salvation of the Lord under every trial.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #290 on: September 05, 2006, 11:44:57 PM »

Ps 132:1 ¶ <<A Song of Ascents.>> LORD, remember David And all his afflictions;

Ps 132:2 How he swore to the LORD, And vowed to the Mighty One of Jacob:

Ps 132:3 "Surely I will not go into the chamber of my house, Or go up to the comfort of my bed;

Ps 132:4 I will not give sleep to my eyes Or slumber to my eyelids,

Ps 132:5 Until I find a place for the LORD, A dwelling place for the Mighty One of Jacob."

Ps 132:6 Behold, we heard of it in Ephrathah; We found it in the fields of the woods.

Ps 132:7 Let us go into His tabernacle; Let us worship at His footstool.

Ps 132:8 Arise, O LORD, to Your resting place, You and the ark of Your strength.

Ps 132:9 Let Your priests be clothed with righteousness, And let Your saints shout for joy.

Ps 132:10 For Your servant David's sake, Do not turn away the face of Your Anointed.

Ps 132:11 ¶ The LORD has sworn in truth to David; He will not turn from it: "I will set upon your throne the fruit of your body.

Ps 132:12 If your sons will keep My covenant And My testimony which I shall teach them, Their sons also shall sit upon your throne forevermore."

Ps 132:13 For the LORD has chosen Zion; He has desired it for His dwelling place:

Ps 132:14 "This is My resting place forever; Here I will dwell, for I have desired it.

Ps 132:15 I will abundantly bless her provision; I will satisfy her poor with bread.

Ps 132:16 I will also clothe her priests with salvation, And her saints shall shout aloud for joy.

Ps 132:17 There I will make the horn of David grow; I will prepare a lamp for My Anointed.

Ps 132:18 His enemies I will clothe with shame, But upon Himself His crown shall flourish."

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #291 on: September 05, 2006, 11:46:49 PM »

MHCC

David's care for the ark. (1-10)

1-10 David bound himself to find a place for the Lord, for the ark, the token of God's presence. When work is to be done for the Lord, it is good to tie ourselves to a time. It is good in the morning to fix upon work for the day, with submission to Providence, for we know not what a day may bring forth. And we should first, and without delay, seek to have our own hearts made a habitation of God through the Spirit. He prays that God would take up his dwelling in the habitation he had built; that he would give grace to the ministers of the sanctuary to do their duty. David pleads that he was the anointed of the Lord, and this he pleads as a type of Christ, the great Anointed. We have no merit of our own to plead; but, for His sake, in whom there is a fulness of merit, let us find favour. And every true believer in Christ, is an anointed one, and has received from the Holy One the oil of true grace. The request is, that God would not turn away, but hear and answer their petitions for his Son's sake.

The promises of God. (11-18)

11-18 The Lord never turns from us when we plead the covenant with his anointed Prophet, Priest, and King. How vast is the love of God to man, that he should speak thus concerning his church! It is his desire to dwell with us; yet how little do we desire to dwell with him! He abode in Zion till the sins of Israel caused him to give them up to the spoilers. Forsake us not, O God, and deliver us not in like manner, sinful though we are. God's people have a special blessing on common enjoyments, and that blessing puts peculiar sweetness into them. Zion's poor have reason to be content with a little of this world, because they have better things prepared for them. God will abundantly bless the nourishment of the new man, and satisfy the poor in spirit with the bread of life. He gives more than we ask, and when he gives salvation, he will give abundant joy. God would bring to nothing every design formed to destroy the house of David, until King Messiah should arise out of it, to sit upon the throne of his Father. In him all the promises centre. His enemies, who will not have him to reign over them, shall at the last day be clothed with shame and confusion for ever.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: September 05, 2006, 11:49:09 PM »

Ps 133:1 ¶ <<A Song of Ascents. Of David.>> Behold, how good and how pleasant it is For brethren to dwell together in unity!

Ps 133:2 It is like the precious oil upon the head, Running down on the beard, The beard of Aaron, Running down on the edge of his garments.

Ps 133:3 It is like the dew of Hermon, Descending upon the mountains of Zion; For there the LORD commanded the blessing-Life forevermore.

MHCC

The excellency of brotherly love.

- We cannot say too much, it were well if enough could be said, to persuade people to live together in peace. It is good for us, for our honour and comfort; and brings constant delight to those who live in unity. The pleasantness of this is likened to the holy anointing oil. This is the fruit of the Spirit, the proof of our union with Christ, and adorns his gospel. It is profitable as well as pleasing; it brings blessings numerous as the drops of dew. It cools the scorching heat of men's passions, as the dews cool the air and refresh the earth. It moistens the heart, and makes it fit to receive the good seed of the word, and to make it fruitful. See the proof of the excellency of brotherly love: where brethren dwell together in unity, the Lord commands the blessing. God commands the blessing; man can but beg a blessing. Believers that live in love and peace, shall have the God of love and peace with them now, and they shall shortly be with him for ever, in the world of endless love and peace. May all who love the Lord forbear and forgive one another, as God, for Christ's sake, hath forgiven them.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #293 on: September 05, 2006, 11:51:41 PM »

Ps 134:1 ¶ <<A Song of Ascents.>> Behold, bless the LORD, All you servants of the LORD, Who by night stand in the house of the LORD!

Ps 134:2 Lift up your hands in the sanctuary, And bless the LORD.

Ps 134:3 The LORD who made heaven and earth Bless you from Zion!

MHCC

An exhortation to bless the Lord.

We must stir up ourselves to give glory to God, and encourage ourselves to hope for mercy and grace from him. It is an excellent plan to fill up all our spare minutes with pious meditations, and prayers and praises. No time would then be a burden, nor should we murder our hours by trifling conversation and vain amusements, or by carnal indulgences. We need desire no more to make us happy, than to be blessed of the Lord. We ought to beg spiritual blessings, not only for ourselves, but for others; not only, The Lord bless me, but, The Lord bless thee; thus testifying our belief that there is enough for others as well as for us, and showing our good will to others.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: September 06, 2006, 09:48:48 AM »

Ps 135:1 ¶ Praise the LORD! Praise the name of the LORD; Praise Him, O you servants of the LORD!

Ps 135:2 You who stand in the house of the LORD, In the courts of the house of our God,

Ps 135:3 Praise the LORD, for the LORD is good; Sing praises to His name, for it is pleasant.

Ps 135:4 For the LORD has chosen Jacob for Himself, Israel for His special treasure.

Ps 135:5 ¶ For I know that the LORD is great, And our Lord is above all gods.

Ps 135:6 Whatever the LORD pleases He does, In heaven and in earth, In the seas and in all deep places.

Ps 135:7 He causes the vapors to ascend from the ends of the earth; He makes lightning for the rain; He brings the wind out of His treasuries.

Ps 135:8 He destroyed the firstborn of Egypt, Both of man and beast.

Ps 135:9 He sent signs and wonders into the midst of you, O Egypt, Upon Pharaoh and all his servants.

Ps 135:10 He defeated many nations And slew mighty kings-

Ps 135:11 Sihon king of the Amorites, Og king of Bashan, And all the kingdoms of Canaan-

Ps 135:12 And gave their land as a heritage, A heritage to Israel His people.

Ps 135:13 Your name, O LORD, endures forever, Your fame, O LORD, throughout all generations.

Ps 135:14 For the LORD will judge His people, And He will have compassion on His servants.

Ps 135:15 ¶ The idols of the nations are silver and gold, The work of men's hands.

Ps 135:16 They have mouths, but they do not speak; Eyes they have, but they do not see;

Ps 135:17 They have ears, but they do not hear; Nor is there any breath in their mouths.

Ps 135:18 Those who make them are like them; So is everyone who trusts in them.

Ps 135:19 Bless the LORD, O house of Israel! Bless the LORD, O house of Aaron!

Ps 135:20 Bless the LORD, O house of Levi! You who fear the LORD, bless the LORD!

Ps 135:21 Blessed be the LORD out of Zion, Who dwells in Jerusalem! Praise the LORD!

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 06, 2006, 09:52:48 AM »

MHCC

God to be praised for his mercy. (1-4)

1-4 The subject-matter of praise, is the blessings of grace flowing from the everlasting love of God. The name of God as a covenant God and Father in Christ, blessing us with all spiritual blessings in him, is to be loved and praised. The Lord chose a people to himself, that they might be unto him for a name and a praise. If they do not praise him for this distinguishing favour, they are the most unworthy and ungrateful of all people.

For his power and judgments. (5-14)

5-14 God is, and will be always, the same to his church, a gracious, faithful, wonder-working God. And his church is, and will be, the same to him, a thankful, praising people: thus his name endures for ever. He will return in ways of mercy to them, and will delight to do them good.

The vanity of idols. (15-21)

15-21 These verses arm believers against idolatry and all false worship, by showing what sort of gods the heathen worshipped. And the more deplorable the condition of the Gentile nations that worship idols, the more are we to be thankful that we know better. Let us pity, and pray for, and seek to benefit benighted heathens and deluded sinners. Let us endeavour to glorify his name, and recommend his truth, not only with our lips, but by holy lives, copying the example of Christ's goodness and truth.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: September 07, 2006, 11:53:06 AM »

Ps 136:1 ¶ Oh, give thanks to the LORD, for He is good! For His mercy endures forever.

Ps 136:2 Oh, give thanks to the God of gods! For His mercy endures forever.

Ps 136:3 Oh, give thanks to the Lord of lords! For His mercy endures forever:

Ps 136:4 To Him who alone does great wonders, For His mercy endures forever;

Ps 136:5 To Him who by wisdom made the heavens, For His mercy endures forever;

Ps 136:6 To Him who laid out the earth above the waters, For His mercy endures forever;

Ps 136:7 To Him who made great lights, For His mercy endures forever-

Ps 136:8 The sun to rule by day, For His mercy endures forever;

Ps 136:9 The moon and stars to rule by night, For His mercy endures forever.

Ps 136:10 ¶ To Him who struck Egypt in their firstborn, For His mercy endures forever;

Ps 136:11 And brought out Israel from among them, For His mercy endures forever;

Ps 136:12 With a strong hand, and with an outstretched arm, For His mercy endures forever;

Ps 136:13 To Him who divided the Red Sea in two, For His mercy endures forever;

Ps 136:14 And made Israel pass through the midst of it, For His mercy endures forever;

Ps 136:15 But overthrew Pharaoh and his army in the Red Sea, For His mercy endures forever;

Ps 136:16 To Him who led His people through the wilderness, For His mercy endures forever;

Ps 136:17 To Him who struck down great kings, For His mercy endures forever;

Ps 136:18 And slew famous kings, For His mercy endures forever-

Ps 136:19 Sihon king of the Amorites, For His mercy endures forever;

Ps 136:20 And Og king of Bashan, For His mercy endures forever-

Ps 136:21 And gave their land as a heritage, For His mercy endures forever;

Ps 136:22 A heritage to Israel His servant, For His mercy endures forever.

Ps 136:23 ¶ Who remembered us in our lowly state, For His mercy endures forever;

Ps 136:24 And rescued us from our enemies, For His mercy endures forever;

Ps 136:25 Who gives food to all flesh, For His mercy endures forever.

Ps 136:26 Oh, give thanks to the God of heaven! For His mercy endures forever.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: September 07, 2006, 11:57:30 AM »

MHCC

God to be praised as the Creator of the world. (1-9)

1-9 Forgetful as we are, things must be often repeated to us. By "mercy" we understand the Lord's disposition to save those whom sin has rendered miserable and vile, and all the provision he has made for the redemption of sinners by Jesus Christ. The counsels of this mercy have been from everlasting, and the effects of it will endure for ever, to all who are interested in it. The Lord continues equally ready to show mercy to all who seek for it, and this is the source of all our hope and comfort.

As Israel's God and Saviour. (10-22)

10-22 The great things God did for Israel, when he brought them out of Egypt, were mercies which endured long to them; and our redemption by Christ, which was typified thereby, endures for ever. It is good to enter into the history of God's favours, and in each to observe, and own, that his mercy endureth for ever. He put them in possession of a good land; it was a figure of the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ.

For his blessings to all. (23-26)

23-26 God's everlasting mercy is here praised for the redemption of his church; in all his glories, and all his gifts. Blessed be God, who has provided and made known to us salvation through his Son. May we know and feel his redeeming power, that we may serve him in righteousness all our days. May He who giveth food to all flesh, feed our souls unto eternal life, and enliven our affections by his grace, that we may give thanks and praise to his holy name, for his mercy endureth for ever. Let us trace up all the favours we receive to this true source, and offer praise continually.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #298 on: September 08, 2006, 11:58:18 AM »

Ps 137:1 ¶ By the rivers of Babylon, There we sat down, yea, we wept When we remembered Zion.

Ps 137:2 We hung our harps Upon the willows in the midst of it.

Ps 137:3 For there those who carried us away captive asked of us a song, And those who plundered us requested mirth, Saying, "Sing us one of the songs of Zion!"

Ps 137:4 How shall we sing the LORD'S song In a foreign land?

Ps 137:5 If I forget you, O Jerusalem, Let my right hand forget its skill!

Ps 137:6 If I do not remember you, Let my tongue cling to the roof of my mouth-If I do not exalt Jerusalem Above my chief joy.

Ps 137:7 ¶ Remember, O LORD, against the sons of Edom The day of Jerusalem, Who said, "Raze it, raze it, To its very foundation!"

Ps 137:8 O daughter of Babylon, who are to be destroyed, Happy the one who repays you as you have served us!

Ps 137:9 Happy the one who takes and dashes Your little ones against the rock!

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #299 on: September 08, 2006, 12:03:40 PM »

MHCC

The Jews bewail their captivity. (1-4)

1-4 Their enemies had carried the Jews captive from their own land. To complete their woes, they insulted over them; they required of them mirth and a song. This was very barbarous; also profane, for no songs would serve but the songs of Zion. Scoffers are not to be compiled with. They do not say, How shall we sing, when we are so much in sorrow? but, It is the Lord's song, therefore we dare not sing it among idolaters.

Their affection for Jerusalem. (5-9)

5-9 What we love, we love to think of. Those that rejoice in God, for his sake make Jerusalem their joy. They stedfastly resolved to keep up this affection. When suffering, we should recollect with godly sorrow our forfeited mercies, and our sins by which we lost them. If temporal advantages ever render a professor satisfied at a distance from the ordinances of God,or ashamed of his profession, the worst calamity has befallen him. Far be it from us to avenge ourselves; we will leave it to Him who has said, Vengeance is mine. Those that are glad at calamities, especially at the calamities of Jerusalem, shall not go unpunished. We cannot pray for promised success to the church of God without looking to, though we do not utter a prayer for, the ruin of her enemies. But let us call to mind to whose grace and finished salvation alone it is, that we have any hopes of being brought home to the heavenly Jerusalem.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the