Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:07:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286799 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Reading The Psalms Daily
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reading The Psalms Daily  (Read 50368 times)
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: September 01, 2006, 08:18:11 AM »

MHCC

Esteem for Jerusalem. (1-5)

1-5 The pleasure and profit from means of grace, should make us disregard trouble and fatigue in going to them; and we should quicken one another to what is good. We should desire our Christian friends, when they have any good work in hand, to call for us, and take us with them. With what readiness should we think of the heavenly Jerusalem! How cheerfully should we bear the cross and welcome death, in hopes of a crown of glory! Jerusalem is called the beautiful city. It was a type of the gospel church, which is compact together in holy love and Christian communion, so that it is all as one city. If all the disciples of Christ were of one mind, and kept the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace, their enemies would be deprived of their chief advantages against them. But Satan's maxim always has been, to divide that he may conquer; and few Christians are sufficiently aware of his designs.

Concern for its welfare. (6-9)

6-9 Those who can do nothing else for the peace of Jerusalem, may pray for it. Let us consider all who seek the glory of the Redeemer, as our brethren and fellow-travellers, without regarding differences which do not affect our eternal welfare. Blessed Spirit of peace and love, who didst dwell in the soul of the holy Jesus, descend into his church, and fill those who compose it with his heavenly tempers; cause bitter contentions to cease, and make us to be of one mind. Love of the brethren and love to God, ought to stir us up to seek to be like the Lord Jesus in fervent prayer and unwearied labour, for the salvation of men, and the Divine glory.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 01, 2006, 08:20:03 AM »

Ps 123:1 ¶ <<A Song of Ascents.>> Unto You I lift up my eyes, O You who dwell in the heavens.

Ps 123:2 Behold, as the eyes of servants look to the hand of their masters, As the eyes of a maid to the hand of her mistress, So our eyes look to the LORD our God, Until He has mercy on us.

Ps 123:3 Have mercy on us, O LORD, have mercy on us! For we are exceedingly filled with contempt.

Ps 123:4 Our soul is exceedingly filled With the scorn of those who are at ease, With the contempt of the proud.

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 01, 2006, 08:20:44 AM »

MHCC

Confidence in God under contempt.

- Our Lord Jesus has taught us to look unto God in prayer as our Father in heaven. In every prayer a good man lifts up his soul to God; especially when in trouble. We desire mercy from him; we hope he will show us mercy, and we will continue waiting on him till it come. The eyes of a servant are to his master's directing hand, expecting that he will appoint him his work. And also to his supplying hand. Servants look to their master or their mistress for their portion of meat in due season. And to God we must look for daily bread, for grace sufficient; from him we must receive it thankfully. Where can we look for help but to our Master? And, further, to his protecting hand. If the servant is wronged and injured in his work, who should right him, but his master? And to his correcting hand. Whither should sinners turn but to him that smote them? They humble themselves under God's mighty hand. And lastly, to his rewarding hand. Hypocrites look to the world's hand, thence they have their reward; but true Christians look to God as their Master and their Rewarder. God's people find little mercy with men; but this is their comfort, that with the Lord there is mercy. Scorning and contempt have been, are, and are likely to be, the lot of God's people in this world. It is hard to bear; but the servants of God should not complain if they are treated as his beloved Son was. Let us then, when ready to faint under trials, look unto Jesus, and by faith and prayer cast ourselves upon the mercy of God.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 01, 2006, 09:05:10 AM »

Ps 124:1 ¶ <<A Song of Ascents. Of David.>> "If it had not been the LORD who was on our side," Let Israel now say-

Ps 124:2 "If it had not been the LORD who was on our side, When men rose up against us,

Ps 124:3 Then they would have swallowed us alive, When their wrath was kindled against us;

Ps 124:4 Then the waters would have overwhelmed us, The stream would have gone over our soul;

Ps 124:5 Then the swollen waters Would have gone over our soul."

Ps 124:6 ¶ Blessed be the LORD, Who has not given us as prey to their teeth.

Ps 124:7 Our soul has escaped as a bird from the snare of the fowlers; The snare is broken, and we have escaped.

Ps 124:8 Our help is in the name of the LORD, Who made heaven and earth.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 01, 2006, 09:07:00 AM »

The deliverance of the church. (1-5)

1-5 God suffers the enemies of his people sometimes to prevail very far against them, that his power may be seen the more in their deliverance. Happy the people whose God is Jehovah, a God all-sufficient. Besides applying this to any particular deliverance wrought in our days and the ancient times, we should have in our thoughts the great work of redemption by Jesus Christ, by which believers were rescued from Satan.

Thankfulness for the deliverance. (6-8)

6-8 God is the Author of all our deliverances, and he must have the glory. The enemies lay snares for God's people, to bring them into sin and trouble, and to hold them there. Sometimes they seem to prevail; but in the Lord let us put our trust, and we shall not be put to confusion. The believer will ascribe all the honour of his salvation, to the power, mercy, and truth of God, and look back with wonder and thanksgiving on the way in which the Lord has led him. Let us rejoice that our help for the time to come is in him who made heaven and earth.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 01, 2006, 09:27:33 AM »

Ps 125:1 ¶ <<A Song of Ascents.>> Those who trust in the LORD Are like Mount Zion, Which cannot be moved, but abides forever.

Ps 125:2 As the mountains surround Jerusalem, So the LORD surrounds His people From this time forth and forever.

Ps 125:3 For the scepter of wickedness shall not rest On the land allotted to the righteous, Lest the righteous reach out their hands to iniquity.

Ps 125:4 ¶ Do good, O LORD, to those who are good, And to those who are upright in their hearts.

Ps 125:5 As for such as turn aside to their crooked ways, The LORD shall lead them away With the workers of iniquity. Peace be upon Israel!

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 01, 2006, 09:29:09 AM »

MHCC

The security of the righteous. (1-3)

1-3 All those minds shall be truly stayed, that are stayed on God. They shall be as Mount Zion, firm as it is; a mountain supported by providence, much more as a holy mountain supported by promise. They cannot be removed from confidence in God. They abide for ever in that grace which is the earnest of their everlasting continuance in glory. Committing themselves to God, they shall be safe from their enemies. Even mountains may moulder and come to nothing, and rocks be removed, but God's covenant with his people cannot be broken, nor his care of them cease. Their troubles shall last no longer than their strength will bear them up under them. The rod of the wicked may come, may fall upon the righteous, upon their persons, their estates, their liberties, their families names, on any thing that falls to their lot; only it cannot reach their souls. And though it may come upon their lot, it shall not rest thereon. The Lord will make all work together for their good. The wicked shall only prove a correcting rod, not a destroying sword; even this rod shall not remain upon them, lest they distrust the promise, thinking God has cast them off.

Prayer for them, The ruin of the wicked. (4,5)

4,5 God's promises should quicken our prayers. The way of holiness is straight; there are no windings or shiftings in it. But the ways of sinners are crooked. They shift from one purpose to another, and turn hither and thither to deceive; but disappointment and misery shall befall them. Those who cleave to the ways of God, though they may have trouble in their way, their end shall be peace. The pleading of their Saviour for them, secures to them the upholding power and preserving grace of their God. Lord, number us with them, in time, and to eternity.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 01, 2006, 09:32:40 AM »

Ps 126:1 ¶ <<A Song of Ascents.>> When the LORD brought back the captivity of Zion, We were like those who dream.

Ps 126:2 Then our mouth was filled with laughter, And our tongue with singing. Then they said among the nations, "The LORD has done great things for them."

Ps 126:3 The LORD has done great things for us, And we are glad.

Ps 126:4 ¶ Bring back our captivity, O LORD, As the streams in the South.

Ps 126:5 Those who sow in tears Shall reap in joy.

Ps 126:6 He who continually goes forth weeping, Bearing seed for sowing, Shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, Bringing his sheaves with him.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 01, 2006, 09:34:12 AM »

MHCC

Those returned out of captivity are to be thankful. (1-3)

1-3 It is good to observe how God's deliverances of the church are for us, that we may rejoice in them. And how ought redemption from the wrath to come, from the power of sin and of Satan, to be valued! The sinner convinced of his guilt and danger, when by looking to a crucified Saviour he receives peace to his conscience, and power to break off his sins, often can scarcely believe that the prospect which opens to him is a reality.

Those yet in captivity are encouraged. (4-6)

4-6 The beginnings of mercies encourage us to pray for the completion of them. And while we are in this world there will be matter for prayer, even when we are most furnished with matter for praise. Suffering saints are often in tears; they share the calamities of human life, and commonly have a greater share than others. But they sow in tears; they do the duty of an afflicted state. Weeping must not hinder sowing; we must get good from times of affliction. And they that sow, in the tears of godly sorrow, to the Spirit, shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting; and that will be a joyful harvest indeed. Blessed are those that mourn, for they shall be for ever comforted. When we mourn for our sins, or suffer for Christ's sake, we are sowing in tears, to reap in joy. And remember that God is not mocked; for whatever a man soweth that shall he reap, Ga 6:7-9. Here, O disciple of Jesus, behold an emblem of thy present labour and future reward; the day is coming when thou shalt reap in joy, plentiful shall be thy harvest, and great shall be thy joy in the Lord.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 01, 2006, 09:36:01 AM »

Ps 127:1 ¶ <<A Song of Ascents. Of Solomon.>> Unless the LORD builds the house, They labor in vain who build it; Unless the LORD guards the city, The watchman stays awake in vain.

Ps 127:2 It is vain for you to rise up early, To sit up late, To eat the bread of sorrows; For so He gives His beloved sleep.

Ps 127:3 Behold, children are a heritage from the LORD, The fruit of the womb is a reward.

Ps 127:4 Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one's youth.

Ps 127:5 Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them; They shall not be ashamed, But shall speak with their enemies in the gate.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 01, 2006, 09:36:43 AM »

MHCC

The value of the Divine blessing.

- Let us always look to God's providence. In all the affairs and business of a family we must depend upon his blessing. 1. For raising a family. If God be not acknowledged, we have no reason to expect his blessing; and the best-laid plans fail, unless he crowns them with success. 2. For the safety of a family or a city. Except the Lord keep the city, the watchmen, though they neither slumber nor sleep, wake but in vain; mischief may break out, which even early discoveries may not be able to prevent. 3. For enriching a family. Some are so eager upon the world, that they are continually full of care, which makes their comforts bitter, and their lives a burden. All this is to get money; but all in vain, except God prosper them: while those who love the Lord, using due diligence in their lawful callings, and casting all their care upon him, have needful success, without uneasiness or vexation. Our care must be to keep ourselves in the love of God; then we may be easy, whether we have little or much of this world. But we must use the proper means very diligently. Children are God's gifts, a heritage, and a reward; and are to be accounted blessings, and not burdens: he who sends mouths, will send meat, if we trust in him. They are a great support and defence to a family. Children who are young, may be directed aright to the mark, God's glory, and the service of their generation; but when they are gone into the world, they are arrows out of the hand, it is too late to direct them then. But these arrows in the hand too often prove arrows in the heart, a grief to godly parents. Yet, if trained according to God's word, they generally prove the best defence in declining years, remembering their obligations to their parents, and taking care of them in old age. All earthly comforts are uncertain, but the Lord will assuredly comfort and bless those who serve him; and those who seek the conversion of sinners, will find that their spiritual children are their joy and crown in the day of Jesus Christ.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 01, 2006, 09:44:01 AM »

Ps 128:1 ¶ <<A Song of Ascents.>> Blessed is every one who fears the LORD, Who walks in His ways.

Ps 128:2 When you eat the labor of your hands, You shall be happy, and it shall be well with you.

Ps 128:3 Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine In the very heart of your house, Your children like olive plants All around your table.

Ps 128:4 Behold, thus shall the man be blessed Who fears the LORD.

Ps 128:5 The LORD bless you out of Zion, And may you see the good of Jerusalem All the days of your life.

Ps 128:6 Yes, may you see your children's children. Peace be upon Israel!

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 01, 2006, 09:44:43 AM »

MHCC

The blessings of those who fear God.

- Only those who are truly holy, are truly happy. In vain do we pretend to be of those that fear God, if we do not make conscience of keeping stedfastly to his ways. Blessed is every one that fears the Lord; whether he be high or low, rich or poor in the world. If thou fear him and walk in his ways, all shall be well with thee while thou livest, better when thou diest, best of all in eternity. By the blessing of God, the godly shall get an honest livelihood. Here is a double promise; they shall have something to do, for an idle life is a miserable, uncomfortable life, and shall have health and strength, and power of mind to do it. They shall not be forced to live upon the labours of other people. It is as much a mercy as a duty, with quietness to work and eat our own bread. They and theirs shall enjoy what they get. Such as fear the Lord and walk in his ways, are the only happy persons, whatever their station in life may be. They shall have abundant comfort in their family relations. And they shall have all the good things God has promised, and which they pray for. A good man can have little comfort in seeing his children's children, unless he sees peace upon Israel. Every true believer rejoices in the prosperity of the church. Hereafter we shall see greater things, with the everlasting peace and rest that remain for the Israel of God.

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 01, 2006, 11:23:49 PM »

Ps 128:1 ¶ <<A Song of Ascents.>> Blessed is every one who fears the LORD, Who walks in His ways.

Ps 128:2 When you eat the labor of your hands, You shall be happy, and it shall be well with you.

Ps 128:3 Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine In the very heart of your house, Your children like olive plants All around your table.

Ps 128:4 Behold, thus shall the man be blessed Who fears the LORD.

Ps 128:5 The LORD bless you out of Zion, And may you see the good of Jerusalem All the days of your life.

Ps 128:6 Yes, may you see your children's children. Peace be upon Israel!

airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 01, 2006, 11:24:31 PM »

MHCC

The blessings of those who fear God.

- Only those who are truly holy, are truly happy. In vain do we pretend to be of those that fear God, if we do not make conscience of keeping stedfastly to his ways. Blessed is every one that fears the Lord; whether he be high or low, rich or poor in the world. If thou fear him and walk in his ways, all shall be well with thee while thou livest, better when thou diest, best of all in eternity. By the blessing of God, the godly shall get an honest livelihood. Here is a double promise; they shall have something to do, for an idle life is a miserable, uncomfortable life, and shall have health and strength, and power of mind to do it. They shall not be forced to live upon the labours of other people. It is as much a mercy as a duty, with quietness to work and eat our own bread. They and theirs shall enjoy what they get. Such as fear the Lord and walk in his ways, are the only happy persons, whatever their station in life may be. They shall have abundant comfort in their family relations. And they shall have all the good things God has promised, and which they pray for. A good man can have little comfort in seeing his children's children, unless he sees peace upon Israel. Every true believer rejoices in the prosperity of the church. Hereafter we shall see greater things, with the everlasting peace and rest that remain for the Israel of God.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the