Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:39:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  A few Translation Notes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A few Translation Notes  (Read 3707 times)
ConcordChristian

Time is short, live like you know it.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2005, 05:21:54 PM »

I am interested in your varied opinions. Thank you. I'm not sure where everyone who is posting here is from, but I am in Michigan, U.S.A. I was recently in a local "Christian" book store at a mall. The message is not found in their literature section. It is nestled right there among the other "versions of scripture." It is not so much a personal issue, as to whether someone who studies varied writers and usess different translations and paraphrases uses this book for something (entertainment, or whatever). Here in America, things are mass marketed and the church is sleepily purchasing any newest piece of rubbish being proffered.  We have a very real discernment defecit. Most firm church-goers are "pastor driven." If the pastor says so, it must be so. This is a very real down side of the single pastor system which I was posting about earlier. My pastor thinks for me, so I just support the church and him and everything is great.
  Another interesting bit of business is the "Purpose Driven" everything. That pastor has wrested scripture after scripture to stretch them into his own desired purposes. Sloppy exegesis of scripture is becoming more and more accepted as the church rolls over and says, in effect, "Oh, don't get all worked up about it! People are getting a blessing, and, after all, that's all that matters." I know that many people think they're getting a blessing from it. Perhaps they are. God uses everything for His purposes. I get a blessing from the web page where I find news and weather reports, but I don't call it something God designed and misquote scripture to support my belief of this.
In Christ Forever,
Brian

The only life for a Christian is the completely exchanged life of Christ in you, the hope (surety) of glory.
Jemidon2004

Just a sinner granted unmerited marvelous grace...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2005, 09:11:09 PM »

I agree with ya buddy. I'm from South Carolina, and down here, in the "christian" book stores i've seen a few who have it listed in the literature section. You and I are in agreement on what you've said. There is a sloppy exegesis of Scripture around here and every else. Hence, why I vowed not to become like the mediocre parishioner who just takes what's being said and doesn't really have their own systematic theology.

Joshua

"Man is never sufficiently touched and affected by the awareness of his lowly state until he has compared himself with God's majesty" - John Calvin
DigitGen

Ecc 5:7-For in the multitude of dreams...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2005, 11:34:41 PM »

"the church is sleepily purchasing any newest piece of rubbish being proffered."
Preach it Brother!

"Sloppy exegesis of scripture is becoming more and more accepted as the church rolls over and says, in effect, "Oh, don't get all worked up about it!"
Amen Brother!

I can agree and as well, entertainment whatever, and what was giving me I problem was I  everywhere I have seen it is in the translation section, as well as on the web sites where I got the verses from translation as well and what of someone checking out a bible for the first time turned off of church and they pick up the thing easiest to read and what is easiest for I man of the world, words of the world. the words of man far from inspired We all agree good stuff.

Wherefore I praised the dead which are already dead more than the living which are yet alive. Yea, better is he than both they, which hath not yet been, who hath not seen the evil work that is done under the sun.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2005, 12:44:51 AM »

"the church is sleepily purchasing any newest piece of rubbish being proffered."
Preach it Brother!

"Sloppy exegesis of scripture is becoming more and more accepted as the church rolls over and says, in effect, "Oh, don't get all worked up about it!"
Amen Brother!

I can agree and as well, entertainment whatever, and what was giving me I problem was I  everywhere I have seen it is in the translation section, as well as on the web sites where I got the verses from translation as well and what of someone checking out a bible for the first time turned off of church and they pick up the thing easiest to read and what is easiest for I man of the world, words of the world. the words of man far from inspired We all agree good stuff.

Hello DigitGen,

Some translations of the Bible are rubbish, and the JW and Mormon Bible would fit into that category. Some are very poor, and The Message would fit into that category.

There are strengths and weaknesses of every Bible translation, and that would include the KJV, in any of the more than 50 revisions or versions of the KJV. Overall, the KJV is an excellent translation of the Holy Bible, but we still use Greek and Hebrew comparisons because of the errors and shortcomings of the KJV and any other translation of the Holy Bible. Overall, the NASB and the NIV are excellent translations of the Holy Bible, buth they also have their strengths and weaknesses. Again, Greek and Hebrew languages are used for comparisons, specifically for anyone wishing to do serious Bible study.

In some ways, the KJV, in any of its more than 50 revisions and versions, is still superior to some of the newer translations that are also in the excellent category. However, the NASB, NIV, and other excellent translations are superior to the KJV in many ways. Many more ancient manuscripts are available today than when the KJV was translated. It's also true that modern language tools are much better and faster. The proof of this can be easily seen in Bible study tools for language, reference, and comparison that the average person can now afford to own.

I won't become involved in a debate about which of the excellent translations of the Holy Bible is considered to be the best. I certainly won't become involved in any cult-like discussion that the KJV is the only translation that can be considered to be the Holy Bible. That's a ridiculous and childish argument that simply causes division in the BODY OF CHRIST.

I could do the same thing with the KJV that you attempted to do with the NASB and the NIV, but I won't. I'll simply state that the KJV is not the standard for a correct translation of the Holy Bible. Ancient Greek and Hebrew texts are the standard, so the KJV is not the standard for anything. I'll simply say that the KJV is an excellent translation and there are many others, the NASB and NIV being just two examples.

I will NOT debate this matter with you, but I WILL BLUNTLY STATE BIBLE BASHING IS NOT PERMITTED HERE. I would hope that should be enough said and you understand. "KJV-Onlyists" have done nothing but create doubt in the KJV, division in the BODY OF CHRIST, and confusion for the lost looking on. BLUNTLY, the "KJV-Onlyists" have done nothing but harm.

That's the purpose and direction of this thread, SO THIS THREAD IS LOCKED. Any new thread attempting the same thing will be deleted.
[/color]

Love In Christ,
Tom

Isaiah 55:10-11 NASB  "For as the rain and the snow come down from heaven, And do not return there without watering the earth And making it bear and sprout, And furnishing seed to the sower and bread to the eater; So will My word be which goes forth from My mouth; It will not return to Me empty, Without accomplishing what I desire, And without succeeding in the matter for which I sent it.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the