Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:52:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  Witnessing (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  How do I witness to my family?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: How do I witness to my family?  (Read 12174 times)
Jari

Coder for Christ.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 02, 2005, 06:56:07 AM »

I find witnessing to my family very hard and I need advice from you who have witnessed before.

Problem is that I know them and it's not that I couldn't tell them to repent but it's that I don't know what is the right abroach.

First there is mom who says that she believe in God but she is not living her life for Jesus. She did not even know Jesus is the word of God that became flesh and is part of God and therefore God Him self.
She just says that she believes in God and that she has prayed sometimes but when I asked from her what is the reason for our lifes she said that we should live good live taking care of our self and so since we are the image of God...
So I really don't know what to say to her. I think she belives Jesus is the only way to heaven but I am not entirely sure.

Then there is my half sister, she doesn't believe in God because it's something you can't touch - she says. And I really hate the way she lives, sinful life, cussing saying God's name in vain (is vain the right word?). And I have told her to stop and she is like "oh, sorry" every time.
I was thinking of asking about her purpose in life but I don't know if that leads to anywhere. What do you think..? How do you make atheist think about meaning of life?

Next there is my little brother, he is 16. I remember how kind he was  when he was just a kid, always thinking about the others but now he's completely different, he has become selfish and mean due to the influence of bad people like me. Because before Christ called me I was selfish and mean towards him. Now the situation is exact opposite.
But don't get me wrong he is not all bad, he is just leaning more towards evil in he's actions and behaviour.
Well maybe that was pointless to say but it was from top of my heart.
He does not believe in God and he has not probably thought about it much since when ever I try to talk about God to him he is not interested to hear. But he does listen he just doesn't seem to have much interest in God.
I have told him how Jesus told us to love one another and that is most important and that Jesus has died for our sin because we are all sinners and he seems to accept this but I don't know if gave it a thought or not. He did try to read Bible once.
I know I should talk to him more but I don't have words to say... My own faith is quite new too and God simply opened my eyes too see so I don't know how to witness to some one who's eyes are not open.

Lastly there is my dad who doesn't know should he believe or not. I actually must thank Jesus at this point because I think I have made progress with him because I have talked about my faith to him and he used to say that he doesn't believe but now I think he does.
But how do I tell him that he must repent and believe in Jesus so that he may be saved? I don't know, I quess I don't have the courage for that because I am afraid that God's word does not have room in him and I feel sorry for him because he is just kid lost in the lust of life.

So I can talk to these people but I am not sure how much to say at a time. When is time to change from milk to wine?
I don't know because I went straight to wine my self, at least it feels that way.

Thanks for reading, I hope my post was clear enough, english is not my native language.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005, 06:58:50 AM by Jari » Logged

He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal. - Joh 12:25
 - Truedisciple (mp3)
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

Early In The Morning I Will Praise The Lord

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 08:08:07 AM »

Jari, don't feel so alone, it is very hard to witness to your own family members. Even Jesus was rejecte by His own. You are doing the right thing in loving them and talking to them, but you must also pray for the Lord of the Harvest to send the perfect laborer across their paths. Sometimes family memers will listen to a friend, a fellow employee, or even a stranger before they will listen to someone in their own household. It is satan's way he blinds the minds and eyes of the lost and especially our loved ones so they won't listen. Don't doubt yourself, every little seed (word) you plant into family members will grow. But just talking to them is not all, more important than talking to them is praying for them, and also show them how much you have changed. Keep in mind that now thwy will be watching everything you say and do and how you react to things. God has wonderful things in store for all who love Him. I am going to keep you and all your family in my prayers.  Smiley

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Jari

Coder for Christ.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 09:16:47 AM »

Thank you for your reply Smiley
You made good point about Jesus and people who knew Jesus did not take Him seriously.
And I'm having the same problem, they don't take me seriously as they should...

He that loveth his life shall lose it; and he that hateth his life in this world shall keep it unto life eternal. - Joh 12:25
 - Truedisciple (mp3)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 09:44:27 AM »

Hi Jari,

Welcome to the forum.

As airIam2worship said, Jesus told us that it would be the hardest to witness to our own. Jesus did however make believers of at least some of His earthly family.

The best way is through the way that we live our lives. Being the best role model that we possibly can be is a wonderful witnessing tool. Letting them see how Jesus has worked in our own lives. Then we must not forget to pray for them daily, that Jesus will open their eyes and hearts to His word. Ask for Gods guidance, that He will give you the right words at the right time.

I will also add you and your family to my prayer list.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Jari

Coder for Christ.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 10:38:56 AM »

Thank you Roger.
You both give good advice. I must pray for them more often, daily.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 10:39:34 AM by Jari » Logged

- Truedisciple (mp3)
Jari

Coder for Christ.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 12:04:02 PM »

I just want to praize the Lord for giving me His spirit to do the talking! I have witnessed to people in my family today and thank God for that!

- Truedisciple (mp3)
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 11:53:18 PM »

Amen Jari, Hallelujah. I will keep praying for you and your family

PS 91:2 I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in Him will I trust
Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2006, 07:00:33 AM »

Jari, I don't know if your out there or not but, do you have any up-date on your family?  I've been praying for you, witnessing to them.

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2006, 01:35:05 AM »

Great questions, and great answers!

I sense your frustration Jari, but hang in there.     I echo what someone in a previous post said.   You are already going about this the right way.  Talking with them about things and sharing.  Don't get discouraged.  Scripture says that Gods word does not return to Him void.   Just live for Christ and let your life be a mirror that reflects Christ to them.  He will take care of the heart changes and heavy lifting, your just simply the messenger.    I also will keep this in prayer.

Blessings!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
pk

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 02:51:24 PM »

Jari,

I agree with others here that witnessing to family members and friends is the hardest. Usually because they knew us before we were saved and they might think that we are being judgmental (even though we are not – our motivation is for their eternal destination).  This makes your ‘Christian Walk’ so important for them to see.
1st – Pray, pray, pray, pray & never stop praying for them.
-The biggest problem with people, that I have witnessed to, is that they don’t fear God. Why should they fear God, they’ve been taught that God is Love and God saves peoples souls, and God forgives sins. The problem is that the Bible tells us that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom (Ps 111:10). Heb 10:31 Why is it that we fear the Lord? See Heb 9:27, it is destined for man to die once and after this the judgment. It is the Judgment of God that we fear. Why do we fear his judgment? It is the second death that we fear, Hell and the eventual Lake of Fire destination – see Rev 2:11, 20:14, 20:6, 21:8.  Your family members need to be awakened to the path that they are on. I would advise that you talk to your family members with Love & concern, one on one with nobody else around. Reason with them, explaining everything you can, if a question comes up you can’t answer immediately – don’t get nervous and think you’ve blown it, just calmly tell them you’ll need to do some research to answer that question (don’t stop though). Show them the tears in your eye and the compassion in your voice for their souls – this is serious stuff.
Prov. 20:6 says that most men will proclaim their own goodness. 
They need to know that God will not allow sin into Heaven. Show them what sin is; Sin is transgression of The Law (1 John 3:4), at least part of ‘The Law’ is the 10 Commandments (Rom 7:7). Take them thru a couple;
(very important ->don’t be judgmental, do it in a light open give & take discussion – acknowledge that you’ve broken them too but they need to answer verbally so they can see for themselves what your talking about)
9-Have you ever lied? (they answer) Then you say - You would be a liar/just like me I’ve done that.
8-Have you ever stolen anything (regardless of value)? (answer)You would be a thief/I’ve done this too
3-Have you ever used God’s name in vain or as a cuss word? (answer) It’s called blasphemy/I’m guilty also.
7-Have you ever looked at someone with Lust? (answer)You would be an adulterer/just like me.

Tell them – OK here’s the bad news;
9 – see Rev 21:8 all liars will have there place  in the lake of fire.
8 – see 1 Cor 6:10 No thief will inherit the Kingdom of Heaven
3 – Ex 20:7 The Lord will not hold him guiltless that uses his name in vain.
7 – Matt 5:28 Jesus in the sermon on the mount equates looking with lust to adultery.

This is heavy stuff and the Holy Spirit will bring the conviction of sin upon their heart. I believe this is why our enemy is trying to get rid of the 10 Commandments from all public places (starting with schools and courthouses-that’s for another thread).

Ask them – if God judges you by the 10 Commandments will you be innocent? They will have already confessed guilt (9,8,3,7).
Ask them, what are you going to say/do on the Day of Judgment? (there’s nothing that We can do/say)
When you see conviction come upon them – tell them that God knew we couldn’t keep his perfect moral Laws, so he made a way, only 1 way.
Then share the Gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. We broke the Law and Jesus paid our fine – but there’s 2 requirements to have your account paid in full by Jesus.
If we repent and put our complete trust in Jesus’ work on the cross & his resurrection, we can be saved through him.
Many people don’t fear God because they don’t have a Biblical understanding of Hell.
 Shame and everlasting contempt” (Dan 12:2)
“Everlasting punishment” (Matt 25:46)
“Weeping and gnashing of teeth” (Matt 24:51)
“Fire unquenchable” (Lk 3:17)
“Indignation and wrath, tribulation and anguish” (Rom 2:8,9)
“Everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord” (2 Thes 1:9)
“Eternal fire...the blackness of darkness for ever” (Jude 7:13)
Rev 14:10-11 tells us the final, eternal destiny of the sinner: “He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone...the smoke of their torment ascended up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day or night."
Show your Mom James 2:19 – Even the demons believe & tremble (but they won’t repent)
This method is called Law to the Proud & Grace to the humble. It is based on Jesus’ personal witnessing to the woman at the well (Jn 4) and the rich young man (Mk 10). It might seem harsh, but sinners need to be awakened to their destiny with God’s judgment. It’s like this, a father grabs his young son from running across the road. The son cries and says his dad is mean and won’t let him cross the road. However, the father saw the semi-truck barreling towards his son and out of his love for his son he snatched his son from a certain death.  Sinners are on a path that leads to certain death & the lake of fire. It’s our job to snatch as many as we can from certain & eternal death.
Jari

Coder for Christ.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2006, 01:44:54 PM »

Thank you all for the replies!
And also thank you for the prayers, I have not read this forum for a while but thank God I read your posts now so I may tell some good news.
The situation has improved in a way that I have grown in Christ and I am able to witness much better to them today, so thank Jesus for that! I am also hopeful that my mom would come to church with me some time, she says she has been there before - which I dont doupt - but I can only imagine why she stopped going (she still says she believes - but is not reborn). It's the same church where Jesus lead me just half year a go and I was recently babtized! So like I said thanks to Jesus that I have grown because even God doesnt need me He can use me (I do not wish to say "use better" or more efficently).
So I just need to keep witnessing to them love of God and show them how I am not building upon earth anymore because there is better - and now I really need to do this every day and not go with the flow of this world.

But of course need to keep in mind that only Holy spirit can soften their hard hearts.

Pk, what you said "Show them the tears in your eye and the compassion in your voice for their souls – this is serious stuff. " was a good advice, I need to show them how it hurts when they are in the darkness.

I thank God for you all and your prayers.

God bless.

- Truedisciple (mp3)
airIam2worship
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2006, 08:56:06 AM »

Jari, thank you for the update, I am still praying for you and your family. Don't give up!

Jari

Coder for Christ.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2006, 09:42:58 AM »

Jari, thank you for the update, I am still praying for you and your family. Don't give up!

I wont. Smiley

God bless.

- Truedisciple (mp3)
pk

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2006, 12:59:41 PM »

Thanks for the update Jari. Praying for you & your family.
Jari

Coder for Christ.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2007, 02:26:41 PM »

Thank you.
My mom is difficult because she says she believes but have no assurance of salvation because according to her own words she cannot possibly know. And even I tried to tell her that God does give the faith and assurance of salvation she did not seem to care about this because she seems to be satisfied on her life... I think she is afraid to find out the truth because not many people (including her friends) believe and of course she has her own thoughts of what will happen to them (what she hopes) but she must understand that Jesus is the only way to Heaven. I have spoken a few times that we should tell people about Christ so that they too might be saved but I don't know... she said she has spoken with people about god.
Well I don't know about God's plan of salvation in her case - how it will go and when will she see - but she must come to understanding Jesus gives peace unlike anything in this world.
My little bro said to me when I asked that he simply is not interested and I understand this because he is living a good life right now. So I imagine it takes some time.

I thought you might want to know little bit about them so that's why I said that.

God bless.

- Truedisciple (mp3)
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the