Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:42:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Faith Walk
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Faith Walk  (Read 70167 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2005, 03:51:29 PM »

Author: Woodrow Kroll, Tony Beckett
Source: Faith Walk
Scripture Reference Lamentations 1-2 Hebrews 10:1-18

Any Other Way?

Lamentations 1-2, Hebrews 10:1-18
Key Verse: Hebrews 10:4

In many situations we understand that only certain things are acceptable. Show up for a football game with a ticket to a baseball game. Think you will get in? Go to a concert with an admission pass for an amusement park. Won't work. Try to get backstage without a pass hanging around your neck. You'll be turned away. It’s easy to come up with example after example where there is only one way in; no others work.

So why do people understand this principle at the auditorium, stadium or amusement park but think it will be different with heaven? Salvation is through Jesus, nothing else, not even through sacrifice.

God had given His people rituals that symbolized the covering of their sins. These pointed to Christ's atoning death for sinners, looking forward to the ultimate sacrifice, Jesus Christ, who died for the sins of all people. His sacrifice eliminated all need for other sacrifices and eliminated those sacrifices totally. We read that "it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins" (10:4). Nothing else can accomplish what Christ alone did on Calvary's cross.

We need to know this so that we do not wrongly think that there is some other way into heaven. There is only one way, and it is Jesus. No sacrifice we offer, no deeds we do, no gifts we bring, will work. Just Jesus.

Friend, be sure you are saved. If you are hoping in some other way, you will be disappointed. Salvation is found in Jesus alone.

This devotional is freely distributed by Back To The Bible.

Did you enjoy this devotional?  Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
To receive this e-mail regularly, just go to this page:
http://www.backtothebible.org/aboutus/email_entry.htm

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 15, 2005, 01:17:49 AM »

Scripture Reference Hebrews 10:19-39 Lamentations 3-5

I Have Hope

Lamentations 3–5, Hebrews 10:19–39
Key Verses: Lamentations 3:19–20

When the weather is nice, temperatures are pleasant, and a gentle breeze blows, people will sing, “This is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it.” But when the weather is horrible, temperatures are at the extremes, and perhaps the wind is a gale force, people aren’t as likely to sing. Yet God makes both kinds of days.

We need to remember that God is good all the time. His goodness is not dependent on how much we like our current situation. That must have been Jeremiah’s perspective. At a time when his soul was “downcast” within him (3:20), he could look beyond the immediate to the eternal. Rather than allowing his circumstances to drag him down, he focused his attention on God’s faithfulness and said, “I have hope” (v. 21).

You probably know the next verse: “Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness” (v. 22)

It’s easy to sing the hymn “Great Is Thy Faithfulness” when things are going well. Yet the verses from which that theme is taken do not come from a time of smooth sailing for the prophet. Instead, it was a time of extreme difficulty. Jeremiah knew that God is good all the time and that even in the worst of times He is faithful.

Even when life looks hopeless, remember that looks can be deceiving. Hope in the ever- faithful God.

Ask God today to help you be a person of hope. Don’t let the immediate cloud your view of the eternal. Hope in the ever-faithful God.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 16, 2005, 01:34:02 AM »

Scripture Reference Hebrews 11:1-19 Ezekiel 1-2

How to Please God

Ezekiel 1–2, Hebrews 11:1–19
Key Verse: Hebrews 11:6

Someone once said, “Faith is getting yourself in so deep only God can get you out.” Be careful—that could define stupidity too.

I like this definition much better. Faith is confidence in the righteous character of God that fosters trust and hope, even when the evidence fosters doubt and despair.

Hebrews 11 is a cast of characters, all of whom had great faith. From the first verse all the way to the middle of verse 35 are recorded the success stories of the heroes of faith. But there’s a dramatic change beginning in verse 35. “Others were tortured . . . . still others were chained and put in prison. They were stoned; they were sawed in two . . . . They went about in sheepskins and goatskins (vv. 35b–37).

These were heroes of faith, too, but their circumstances were very different. Still, they had faith in God. Why? Because faith is unrelated to our circumstances. If you have faith in the righteous character of God before tough times come, that faith will see you through the tough times. If you aren’t already convinced of God’s righteous character, the moment disaster strikes is no time to wrestle with that issue.

Do you want to please God today? Then don’t allow your circumstances to determine your faith. Have faith in God. He can change your circumstances, but He Himself cannot change.

“Lord, help me to live above my circumstances today. Help me to have faith in who God is and recognize that no matter what happens to me, God is faithful and I can trust Him.”

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 17, 2005, 10:28:42 PM »

Scripture Reference Hebrews 11:20-40 Ezekiel 3-4

On Your Face

Ezekiel 3–4, Hebrews 11:20–40
Key Verse: Ezekiel 3:23

Have you ever sat in church and wished the song leader would give you an opportunity to stand and stretch your legs for a minute? Probably. Have you ever grumbled that the song leader had you stand up and sit down too much? Probably. While we are on the subject, are your pews too hard or too close together—or just plain uncomfortable? Probably.

Having comfortable seats during worship is important to most people. They want adequate but not too-bright lighting, along with cool—not cold—temperatures. And they don’t want to feel crowded.

Yet as you read your Bible, one of the things you will not find is people sitting during worship. The only One who sits is God. Others stand, kneel, walk and get on their faces. Now what would it take to get you to put yourself flat on the ground with your face on the floor? When Ezekiel saw “the glory of the LORD,” he says, “I fell facedown” (3:23). Worship put him on his face.

True worship is not about us. It is about God. Too often we focus on ourselves, making ourselves comfortable, designing worship to fit our tastes, whims and wishes. Put our face on the floor? Unheard of—until we catch a glimpse of the glory of the Lord.

It is not the physical act that makes something an act of worship. It is the heart from which that act originates. Ezekiel’s heart responded to the glory of the Lord with this act of worship. His focus was clearly on God, not himself.

Which is more important to you: your comfort in church or your worship of God? Would you ever put your face on the floor, or even bend your knee? Ask yourself if your worship focus is on yourself or on God.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 17, 2005, 10:29:59 PM »

Scripture Reference Hebrews 12 Ezekiel 5-7

Acceptable Worship

Ezekiel 5–7, Hebrews 12
Key Verses: Hebrews 12:28–29

Imagine you’ve ordered your favorite pepperoni pizza. The delivery person arrives at your house and greets you with the words, “Here’s your anchovy pizza!”

“But I didn’t order anchovy. I ordered pepperoni,” you would protest.

“Yes, but anchovy is my favorite kind,” he replies.

Would this be acceptable? Of course not. While this situation may never happen in the world of pizza, it happens too often in our church pews. We may want God to accept any and all forms of worship, expecting Him to let us approach Him as we want, but He does not. Some of our ideas about God, how we perceive Him to be, and our approaches to worship—based on our wishes, not His will—are not acceptable. Just as we would not accept any and all pizza when we ordered pepperoni, so God does not accept any and all worship. Some is acceptable and some is not.

In an “anything goes” world that has given some people the idea that anything goes in worship as well, it is important for us to understand that when it comes to worship, anything doesn’t go. Understanding what is and is not acceptable to God will bring us to a decision point. Either we seek in our worship to please Him or to please ourselves. And when it comes down to doing what we want because it is what we want, we are no longer worshiping God but serving self, satisfying self, putting what we desire above what God requires.

“God, help me know Your will in worship, that my worship will be acceptable to You.”

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 18, 2005, 05:14:36 PM »

Scripture Reference Hebrews 13 Ezekiel 8-10

Going, Going . . .

Ezekiel 8–10, Hebrews 13
Key Verse: Ezekiel 9:3

I have a collection of mental images filed under the heading of “Used to be churches.” There is a certain sadness in my heart when I see restaurants, bookstores and antique and furniture stores that obviously used to be churches. People of God had sacrificially given to build that structure and had gathered there, joined together in ministry. Sometimes a cornerstone remains, inscribed with words such as, “Dedicated to the glory of God.”

Reasons for the change vary, for sure. Some churches relocate to new facilities, but sometimes the building is empty because the church no longer exists. The ministry there is over. Among the saddest images in my mind is that of a sign in the front yard of a church. It simply said, “For Sale by Owner.” The ministry there was going, going, gone.

Ezekiel describes over a series of three chapters a vision of the glory of God departing from the temple in Jerusalem. The glory moved from above the cherubim (9:3) to the threshold of the temple (10:4), to the east gate (10:19) and finally out of the city (11:23). It was a slow, sad departure of the glory, unseen except by the prophet.

Our heart’s desire should be that the Lord’s glory remain in our churches! That will take more than just wishing. It requires staying true and faithful to God and to His Word. When we move away from correct interpretation, clear teaching and correct application of His Word, then we move closer to a time in which the glory may leave.

Be people of the Book. Read the Word, learn the Word and live the Word.

“God, help my local church to stay true to Your Word. May Your glory continue to be proclaimed through my church.”

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2005, 09:44:50 PM »

Scripture Reference Ezekiel 11-13 James 1

And a Child Shall Lead Them-Maybe

Ezekiel 11-13, James 1
Key Verse: James 1:21

I started using computers before my daughter was born, and therein lies the difference. While I have learned, she has always lived with computers. There has never been a time in her life when a computer wasn't in the house. Using electronic gadgets seems to come easier for her than learning to ride a bike! When she has my cell phone, I wince, wondering how it might be reprogrammed before she returns it. I keep my PDA out of her sight, just in case.

Then comes the time when, looking over my shoulder, she says, "Dad, you need to . . . ." You know, it can be hard to take instruction from a preteen, especially about something that you have been doing before she came on the scene and especially when she is right. There is something challenging about saying, "You're right, child of mine." You can't do it without either being humiliated or without being humble enough to listen.

The same is true about the Word of God. We sometimes fail to learn from what it says because we are not humble enough to listen. That is why James says, "receive with meekness the implanted word," which means that a person must have the right kind of attitude to accept the Word. The proud person does not receive any instruction well.

Pride can keep a father from listening to his daughter. It also can keep you and me from listening to the Word. The result from the first refusal might be having to learn the lesson the hard way-and that may well be the result of refusing to listen to God's Word too.

"God, help me today to have a teachable spirit, humbly receptive to Your Word. Guide me and I will follow."

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2005, 09:46:35 PM »

Scripture Reference Ezekiel 14-15 James 2

Tripping Ourselves

Ezekiel 14-15, James 2
Key Verse: Ezekiel 14:3

Is there something in your house that you consistently trip over? Or perhaps it is a low- hanging light fixture that you often encounter with your head. You know it is there, but at the moment you are walking by-well, it's like you didn't know it was there! Once again you trip or bang your head.

Wouldn't it make sense to move whatever it is on the floor or raise that fixture hanging from the ceiling? Of course it would. Then again, we don't always do the sensible thing, do we?

Of far greater significance are the things in our lives that can cause us to stumble spiritually. A group of men, leaders of Israel, came to Ezekiel. God told the prophet that these elders had "set up idols in their hearts and put wicked stumbling blocks before their faces" (14:3). It was as if they had deliberately put things in their own path to trip over! The specific obstacle God mentioned was idols, objects of worship valued above the true God.

One the one hand this verse reminds us of the wrong of idolatry. On the other, it points to an ongoing problem: setting up in our lives things that cause us to stumble spiritually. In the same way a footstool should be moved, these stumbling blocks need to be taken out of our lives. God even questioned whether He should let them inquire of Him at all. The things we keep in our lives that cause us to stumble spiritually hinder our prayers as well.

Do you have a favorite "stumbling block"? Look for something you keep around or have in your heart that causes you to sin. God wants you to remove it. Do that right now.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 21, 2005, 02:38:59 PM »

Scripture Reference Ezekiel 16-17 James 3

Tongue in Check

Ezekiel 16-17, James 3
Key Verse: James 3:2

Among the most difficult sins to remove from our lives are those we commit with our words. James makes this so clear when he writes, "If anyone is never at fault in what he says, he is a perfect man, able to keep his whole body in check" (3:2).

The word translated "perfect" does not mean "totally without fault or sin." As it is used here, it speaks of the Christian's maturity. The mature believer will control what he says. The implication plainly is that if one does not control his tongue, he is not mature.

A second important truth in this verse relates to the rest of our character. Since the tongue is so hard to reign in, the believer who can control the tongue gains control of himself in all other areas of life also. It's like in a war: when major cities are captured, the rest of the country is as well. So when we are able to keep our tongue in check, we have developed the discipline and maturity to keep other aspects of our life in line as well.

God wants us to be mature believers, not spiritual infants in our thinking and actions. Control of the tongue is a crucial component of spiritual maturity. It is not impossible, just supernatural. You cannot do it on your own, but you can do it with God's help.

The question is not if you can learn to control your tongue but whether you will. Study James 3. Get the Word into your heart. Ask God to help you mature by keeping your tongue in check.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 22, 2005, 06:18:06 PM »

Scripture Reference Ezekiel 18-19 James 4

Sour Grapes

Ezekiel 18-19, James 4
Key Verse: Ezekiel 18:2

In chapter 16 Ezekiel quoted the proverb "like mother, like daughter" (v. 44) to tell Israel that the nation had become like the people of Canaan, giving into that heathen environment. Now he uses a proverb to drive home another point as he writes, "'The fathers eat sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set on edge'" (18:2).

Unless you have eaten sour grapes, you can't relate. Expecting a sweet taste, you instead encounter sour. It may literally set your teeth on edge as you react to the sourness. The next time you have some sour grapes, eat one while sitting next to another person. Ask the person if the sour grape you ate left a bad taste in his mouth. The person may wonder about your mental state! "Why would something you ate leave a bad taste in my mouth?" he might reply.

Ezekiel is not writing about grapes but about how a father's actions affect his children. We might say "the apple does not fall far from the tree." The people, though, had misapplied this principle. They were fatalistic in regard to judgment, thinking that they were being judged because of the past wickedness of their fathers.

God then said directly that judgment will come to the one who sins (v. 4). A righteous father can have a wicked son. That wicked son may have a righteous son. Each will be judged on his own merit.

You will stand before God as an individual, not as someone else’s child, and be judged yourself. Be sure that you have trusted Christ for salvation, and do not rely on the righteousness of your ancestors.

It is so important that we individually accept Christ! Having a godly heritage is a wonderful blessing, but our heritage will not get us into heaven.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 27, 2005, 01:29:13 PM »

Scripture Reference Ezekiel 20-21 James 5

Waiting for the Harvest

Ezekiel 20-21, James 5
Key Verses: James 5:7-8

The fields are about empty now, and so are the gardens. Last spring, with hope, the farmers planted their fields, as did the gardeners. Dirt was turned over, seeds sown and young plants set. Then with water, fertilizer, care and good weather, a day comes when the corn is harvested or the tomato picked from the vine. Between planting and harvesting is watering, cultivating, fertilizing, protecting and patience. "A watched pot doesn’t boil," nor does a watched plant sprout.

In a world that wants instant gratification, the farmer and gardener go against the flow. That is they are such a good picture of patience. Notice, though, that James is speaking of a particular kind of patience, the one that gets us through the long summers of our life. It is a patience that is based on a certain hope-that one day Jesus will come again.

This spring, plant a small garden with a child. Watch her enthusiasm as you show her the pictures on the seed packets. Let her pick her favorite foods to grow. Then watch as her enthusiasm wanes, especially when the heat of summer arrives. Take her out to the garden to weed. She'll probably wilt! The pictures of fresh fruits and vegetables are no longer in her mind. Her patience is exhausted. She'll be content with store-bought food.

Look beyond the challenges of today. Jesus is coming. Just be patient.

James gives us a good word picture here. Ask God to help you be patient, always looking forward to the return of Jesus.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 27, 2005, 01:30:18 PM »

Scripture Reference Ezekiel 22-23 1 Peter 1

Scratched and Dented

Ezekiel 22-23, 1 Peter 1
Key Verse: 1 Peter 1:3-4

Perhaps someday you will receive an inheritance. As hard as you may try, that inheritance will not stay as you get it. Money will be spent. A car will wear out. Furniture will become scratched and dented. Dishes will chip and break. Clothing may become moth-eaten. And the list goes on. Getting an inheritance is one thing. Keeping it is another.

This is what makes these words of Peter so amazing. He tells us that we have an inheritance that "can never perish, spoil or fade" (1:4). No scratches. No dents. No depreciation. It is unlike any other inheritance.

One other great aspect about this inheritance is that it is "kept in heaven for you." You have heard of contested wills. A person may have made his wishes known regarding the dispersal of his worldly goods, but sadly, those wishes are not always followed. A person may have the experience of looking forward to a promised inheritance only to ultimately not receive it. But that will not happen with this inheritance. God has reserved it. No one can contest His will in this matter. It is reserved not by a legal document that can be challenged in a court, but by His divine decreed will.

So the next time you look at something you or someone else has inherited, notice the scratches and dents. And the next time you hear of a contested will, remember that you have an inheritance that is incorruptible, undefiled, unfading and reserved.

Even Christians can get distracted by the things of this world. Look beyond this temporary life to that which is eternal. There your inheritance waits for you.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 27, 2005, 01:31:26 PM »

Scripture Reference Ezekiel 24-26 1 Peter 2

Against the Odds

Ezekiel 24-26, 1 Peter 2
Key Verse: Ezekiel 26:3

Lottery tickets are sold in grocery stores, convenient food marts and gas stations. People buy the tickets even though the chances of them winning are infinitesimally small. The odds are against them, just as with all forms of organized gambling. If the odds were not in favor of the "house," the casinos and lotteries would all go out of business. Still, with just a slight possibility of winning, people will gamble away their money.

Consider these odds: 1 in 400 million. Doesn't sound very favorable, does it? Yet in Ezekiel 26 there is a situation that would occur against similar odds. In verses 3-6 there are seven prophecies: many nations will come against the city of Tyre; its walls will be destroyed, and its towers pulled down; the rubble will be scraped away, leaving a bare rock; the place will be used to spread fishnets; it will become plunder for the nations; and the settlements on the mainland will be ravaged by the sword. Someone has calculated that the possibility of all of that happening as prophesied was 1 in 400 million.

The betting person would not like those odds, but this is not about gambling. Instead, this prophecy draws our attention to the certainty of the Word of God. God's prophets could say something that looked impossible but in reality was more than possible. It was a sure thing because God said it.

Ezekiel 26 is just one of many examples of fulfilled prophecy. The complete accuracy of the Bible in regard to the prophecies it contains as well as its accuracy regarding events of the ancient world are added evidence to the truthfulness of God's Word.

Actually, the odds were not 1 in 400 million. Since God said it, the odds were 1 in 1. What God says is a sure thing. Never doubt the Word of God.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 27, 2005, 01:32:32 PM »

Scripture Reference 1 Peter 3 Ezekiel 27-29

The Peril of Prosperity

Ezekiel 27–29, 1 Peter 3
Key Verse: Ezekiel 28:5

We live in prosperous times. Not everyone shares in the prosperity, but it is still a time of abundance. Increasingly, there is a desire to be wealthy. Advertisements are intended to create a dissatisfaction that can be assuaged only by getting more. Investments firm then add their enticements to help people gain more to have more. The mailbox contains offers of credit so that we can have instant gratification.

Some will get caught in the trap; the lure of easy credit will put them in financial bondage. Others will prosper. Their investments will do well; their portfolios will flourish.

But with prosperity comes the peril of pride. The words Ezekiel spoke to the prince of Tyre apply to us as well: “‘By your great skill in trading you have increased your wealth, and because of your wealth your heart has grown proud’” (28:5). He warned the ruler who had done well financially that his prosperity had damaged his heart. The damage was not physical but spiritual.

It’s easy for our hearts to grow proud when we are prosperous. It’s especially easy for this to happen when our prosperity is the apparent result of our own wisdom. When we have worked hard, invested well and made our first million, so to speak, pride grows. We are tempted to rest in our own accomplishments.

One antidote to pride is giving. Giving our money to support the Lord’s work reminds us that money is temporary. Only the things of God are eternal.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 27, 2005, 01:33:57 PM »

Scripture Reference Ezekiel 30-32 1 Peter 4

Ready for His Return

Ezekiel 30-32, 1 Peter 4
Key Verse: 1 Peter 4:7

What will you be doing on the evening of April 15? Millions of Americans will feverishly be finishing their income-tax returns. Postal workers will be stationed at the post office waiting to collect the forms of those last-minute filers. If you wait until the literal eleventh hour to do your taxes, then the evening of April 15 is a night of singular focus. You are intent on one thing, refusing to be distracted until the envelope is in the mail, postmarked before midnight.

God wants us to have a singleness of mind, living, thinking and using our time as one approaching a deadline-because in reality we are facing a deadline. "The end of all things is near. Therefore be clear minded and self-controlled so that you can pray" (4:7).

The Bible does not tell us when the end of all things will come, but we are to live with the expectancy that it could be soon. None of us knows how long we will live nor when Jesus will come again. Our time on this earth will conclude with either our death or with the Rapture, both of which could happen at any time. Either way, we will instantly be in God's presence.

Peter wants us to realize and remember this in such a way that it affects the way we live and pray. More important than being ready for a tax deadline is being ready for Jesus' return.

It seems easier to focus on tax returns than on Jesus' return. Ask God to help you live with a sense of immediacy. Jesus could come today.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 32 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the