Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:50:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Completed and Favorite Threads
| | |-+  Faith Walk
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Faith Walk  (Read 69949 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2005, 07:11:47 AM »

Author: Woodrow Kroll, Tony Beckett
Source: Faith Walk
Scripture Reference Colossians 4 Isaiah 39  

An Awesome God

Isaiah 39-40, Colossians 4
Key Verse: Isaiah 40:12

A popular praise song says, "Our God is an awesome God." Verses such as Isaiah 40:12 reinforce that truth. Allow yourself a moment to meditate on this description of God.

He has measured the waters in the hollow of His hand. See how much water your hand can hold. Maybe an ounce, maybe two, but probably not much more. Then go look at a body of water, add to it all water you have seen, and toss in all the oceans. God is described as being able to measure all of the water in His hand.

He has marked off the heavens with His hand. I sometimes use my hand, from the tip of my thumb to the tip of my little finger, as a basic measuring device. It is about 9 inches from tip to tip. That is my span. Compare that to God's. Isaiah said that God could mark off the breadth of the heavens.

We all know what dust is and how much of it there can be. God can put it all in a basket. He can even take the mountains and the hills and put them in a scale or a balance, much like we might weigh fruit at the grocery store.

Granted, this is only a representation of God. He does not have a body like ours but is spirit. Sometimes the Bible describes God in physical terms to help us understand Him. This description leaves us with only one thought: "Our God is an awesome God."

Take a moment to meditate on the awesomeness of God and then pray, praising Him for His majesty.

This devotional is freely distributed by Back To The Bible.

Did you enjoy this devotional?  Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
To receive this e-mail regularly, just go to this page:
http://www.backtothebible.org/aboutus/email_entry.htm

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2005, 07:40:20 AM »

Scripture Reference 1 Thessalonians 1 Isaiah 41

No Fear

Isaiah 41-42, 1 Thessalonians 1
Key Verse: Isaiah 41:10

Have you seen this on a T-shirt, cap or car window-"No Fear"? It's a strong sentiment, but I sometimes wonder if the words match the reality of life. When life is going well and we are moving along in familiar circumstances with things seemingly under control, it is possible to have no fear. The problem is that what can look like smooth sailing may at any time change to treacherous waters without warning. A person might be tempted to change out of their "No Fear" T-shirt at the same time!

Yet God wants us to be "No Fear" people, not in apparel but in the calmness of our hearts. He tells us not only in Isaiah 41:10 but elsewhere that we should neither fear nor be dismayed.

As is the case with God, He does not just tell us what to do but also enables us to do it. He says, "For I am your God." Remember this! Realize this! Be strengthened by this truth!

What this means is that He will strengthen and help us. He will also uphold us with His righteous right hand. Help is not on the way; help is here!

Knowing this truth is one thing. Making it real is another. To help calm your fears, memorize this verse. Then when you are starting to feel uncertain, remind yourself of this truth. And one other thing—pray this verse. Ask God to keep you from fear and to help you feel His strengthening so that you will know that He is upholding you.

Begin right now to memorize this verse. Learn it well and say it often, especially when fear begins to show itself in your heart.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2005, 07:41:44 AM »

Scripture Reference 1 Thessalonians 2 Isaiah 43

Forget It

Isaiah 43-44, 1 Thessalonians 2
Key Verse: Isaiah 43:18

One of the most difficult things we can attempt to do is to forget. But sometimes forgetting is easy. Usually that is when we are trying to remember someone's name or what we were supposed to pick up at the grocery store. Other things get so firmly embedded into our minds that nothing could ever dislodge them. Our past can "haunt" us, actually affecting our present.

It is a challenge for us to forget the past, with its pains and failures. Yet God does not want us to be controlled by such things. Instead, He wants us to live with a clear sense of forgiveness.

To His people, Israel, God said, "'Forget the former things; do not dwell on the past" (43:18). To give added emphasis to this instruction, God also said, "'I, even I, am he who blots out your transgressions, for my own sake, and remembers your sins no more'" (v. 25).

This is a tremendous picture of forgiveness. Our minds, which can't remember names or that we were supposed to pick up milk on the way home, hang onto hurts and wrongs for decades! Yet God, who knows even the number of hairs on your head, says, "I will not remember your sins." Forgiveness is fantastic!

If only we would let forgiveness accomplish all that it can. It can free us from the pain of our past. Forget it. Don’t dwell on it. These are not trendy phrases but biblical truth.

Is anything in your past affecting your present? Right now make sure it is forgiven and then ask God to help you not bring it up again. Remember it no more.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2005, 06:42:23 AM »

Scripture Reference 1 Thessalonians 3 Isaiah 45

No Other God

Isaiah 45-46, 1 Thessalonians 3
Key Verse: Isaiah 45:22

The God of the Bible is not reticent to say that He alone is God. In the Book of Isaiah Jehovah often claims divine exclusivity: "I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God" (44:6, see also 44:8, 24; and 45:5).

We could dismiss these claims and believe that there are many gods, one for each of us to discover in our own way. But the Bible doesn't give us that option. Jehovah says, "All who make idols are nothing . . . . He bows down to it and worships. He prays to it and says, 'Save me; you are my god.' . . . A deluded heart misleads him; he cannot save himself" (44:9, 17, 20).

God will not make room for pretenders to His throne. And nowhere is this more critically important than when it comes to our salvation. Jehovah says, "Turn to me and be saved, all you ends of the earth; for I am God, and there is no other" (45:22).

Make sure you have trusted the right God, the only God who can save you from your sins. You'll know who He is when you meet Him in a personal way. Read John 14:1-6 to know Him personally.

"God, I believe there is but one God, that You have revealed Yourself through Your Son, the Lord Jesus Christ. Help me to be bold in my witness to those who are still searching for a relationship with You."

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2005, 06:43:40 AM »

Scripture Reference 1 Thessalonians 4 Isaiah 47

Hope Makes the Difference

Isaiah 47-49, 1 Thessalonians 4
Key Verse: 1 Thessalonians 4:13

We all have times of grief, times of mourning the loss of a family member, neighbor or close friend. There is a sadness that comes with death, a sadness intensified by the finality of it. For some, their mourning is intensified by both finality and uncertainty. They do not know for certain what happens after death and find themselves facing an unsure future, one that looks hopeless.

When Paul wrote to the church at Thessalonica, he wanted, among other things, to clear up any misunderstandings they might have regarding death. His intent was to do more than just give them information. He wanted them to realize the certain hope of the Christian and to have that hope affect their mourning. Knowing that in Jesus we have eternal life and that those who die in Christ are forever with Him should keep us from grieving like those who have no hope. We will still miss those who have died, but we should not grieve like others might.

We have hope in Christ. When a Christian dies, he is with Jesus, eternally. The day will come when we will join those who have died before us, either through our own death or through Jesus coming to take us out of this world. Our time together here on earth is temporary, as is the separation when our loved ones join Jesus. When we are all with Jesus, that will be permanent. There will be no more separation.

Perhaps you are grieving a loss. The truth of these verses can help you through your grief. You have a certain hope in Jesus!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 18, 2005, 02:37:38 PM »

Scripture Reference 1 Thessalonians 5 Isaiah 50

Hugs and Helps

Isaiah 50-52, 1 Thessalonians 5
Key Verse: 1 Thessalonians 5:11

Much can be said in just a few words. One example is the following: "Life is hard." Our knees may buckle at times, our shoulders droop under the load, and a weariness can settle into even our breathing. We sigh, and sigh again. That's life! Good times are interspersed with difficult times.

The good news for the Christian is that we do not go through the tough times alone. When we are involved in a local church, a body of believers that practices fellowship, others will come alongside to give hugs and to help. They are following Paul's command to "encourage one another and build each other up" (5:11).

Paul is not reminding us of a blessing but of a responsibility. It is easy for us to say, "Someone should do this for me!" And they should. But don't just sit back and remind yourself of what others should be doing. Paul wrote these words to you, about what you should be doing.

God wants the Body of Christ to be a place of encouragement and help. That will happen as we all get involved in giving out the hugs and helps to those who need them. The more we sit back, waiting for others to do it, the less likely it will happen. Yes, you may be in need, but so are others. So, get up, go out, and give of yourself to encourage and build each other up.

Is there someone you can encourage or help today? If so, do it-now.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 21, 2005, 01:41:31 PM »

Scripture Reference 2 Thessalonians 1 Isaiah 53

Bottled Water

Isaiah 53–55, 2 Thessalonians 1
Key Verse: Isaiah 55:1

It’s a bit ironic that while drinkable water is free, bottled water, which costs, has become very popular. When ordering a sandwich at a fast-food restaurant, your request for water to drink has to be very specific. If you just say “water,” a bottle might be put on your tray—and on your bill! Some people do have good reasons for drinking bottled water, but it still seems odd to buy it when water is free.

Isaiah contains very beautiful invitations, ones God gave to His people that also have meaning for us. The call of God, “Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters,” is a touching one. God cries out to us. He has water that will quench our thirst, and it is free. Jesus used the water imagery to describe salvation, a free gift that satisfies the deepest thirst of our souls (John 4:14).

Just as people will pay for water, which is free, some will try to pay for salvation, which also is free. There is a major difference though. You can pay and get water. You cannot pay and get salvation. It is free and only free. God offers it, and we receive it.

There is a sense in which salvation is not free. It did cost a high price, which Jesus paid when He died on the cross. But it is always free to us. We can never pay for what God gives.

Have you received the free gift of salvation? If so, thank God for the living water. If not, pray today, asking to receive this gift. It is yours, already paid for, available for the asking.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 21, 2005, 01:43:13 PM »

Scripture Reference 2 Thessalonians 2 Isaiah 56

Transcendent and Imminent

Isaiah 56–58, 2 Thessalonians 2
Key Verse: Isaiah 57:15

A friend one day contrasted the music she prefers with the music style her teenage sons like. She used two words in particular to describe the difference. She prefers the music in which God is transcendent, while her sons like music in which God is imminent.

Her comment stuck in my mind. It was very insightful. Some do prefer music that describes God as high and lifted up, the One who reigns from above in heaven. Others gravitate to the songs that help them “feel the power.” God is described as working in them and through them. He is right there with them. That is the basic difference between transcendent and imminent—high and exalted compared to right here with us.

In reality God is both. Through Isaiah, God said, “I live in a high and holy place” (57:15). His next statement adds the fact that God is “‘with him who is contrite and lowly in spirit.’” God is both transcendent and imminent.

This affects our worship when we, as Isaiah describes in chapter 6, see the Lord high and exalted. This affects our daily living as we realize that God is right here with us and in us, working through us. Our view of God needs to be as large as all the universes He created and as specific as our street address. It is not a contradiction but a completion. He is transcendent and imminent.

How do you view God—as off in the distant, or right here right now? Thank God for His immensity and for His immediacy.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 21, 2005, 01:44:58 PM »

Author: Tony Beckett
Scripture Reference Isaiah 59 2 Thessalonians 3

Never Give In

Isaiah 59–61, 2 Thessalonians 3
Key Verse: 2 Thessalonians 3:13

Among the familiar quotes of Sir Winston Churchill is the line from a speech he gave at the Harrow School on October 29, 1941. They were not darker days, according to Churchill, but sterner ones. England was engaged in the war against Germany. It was there that he uttered the famous line, “Never give in, never, never, never, never.” Some think that is all he said, but there was more. It is this sentence, though, that stands most firmly in our memory.

Among the sayings of Paul, this one is not as well remembered but should be. He said, “And as for you, brothers, never tire of doing what is right” (3:13). Had Churchill said it, it might have been, “Never tire, never, never, never, never, never.” But we do. We grow weary in well doing, which is exactly the opposite of what God wants.

What causes us to tire?

Other activities. We get involved in more than we can handle and as a result sometimes tire of things that are good for us to do.

Opposition. Satan opposes our efforts to do right. That can be wearing, causing a spiritual battle fatigue.

Distractions. Maybe instead of distractions I should say attractions. Other things catch our attention and may appear to be more appealing. Then we tire of what we are doing; the luster is gone because something else is more attractive.

These are just a few reasons. Remember Paul’s words: “Never tire of doing what is right.” Don’t give in or give up. Determine that first priority will be given to doing right.

Are you weary in your soul? Examine the source or cause. If it is something that is pulling you away from doing right, don’t let it. Ask God to renew your strength.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 26, 2005, 01:28:28 AM »

Scripture Reference Isaiah 62 1 Timothy 1

Did I Tell You about . . . ?

Isaiah 62–64, 1 Timothy 1
Key Verse: Isaiah 62:1

Our family plays a game as we drive. Certain places along the road remind us of a past trip, so someone says, “That’s where . . . ,” and the rest of us remember. Part of the game is guessing what someone in the car will say in advance. It is our Ground Hog Day game—like the characters in that movie, we say the same thing over and over again every time we come to that point in the road.

We are good about telling some things over and over to anyone who will listen. We like to share what we have experienced and enjoyed. If only we were as persistent in telling people about God!

Isaiah had that kind of heart about God. He said, “For Zion’s sake I will not keep silent” (62:1). Only one thing could get him to be quiet. He said that he would keep doing this “till her righteousness shines out like the dawn, her salvation like a blazing torch.”

A day will come when righteousness and salvation will not only pierce the darkness but drive it away forever. Until then, Isaiah would keep on talking, telling about the things of God.

What will you tell about today? Perhaps a bend in the road will spark the sharing of a remembrance. A phone call will get you talking about what you are doing today or what your plans are for tomorrow.

Isaiah wouldn’t stop talking about God. Will you?

Decide that today you will share with someone else a blessing or a lesson you’ve learned from God. Decide to get God into your conversation. Now, go do it.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 26, 2005, 01:30:14 AM »

Scripture Reference Isaiah 65 1 Timothy 2

Character Counts

Isaiah 65–66, 1 Timothy 2
Key Verse: Isaiah 66:3

The world has its heroes. We find them in action figures, on trading cards, posters, Web sites and newsletters. From athletes to entertainers, from politicians to authors, people have their heroes, those whom they admire. They may like the sound of their voice, the emotions they invoke, the skills they possess or perhaps something as superficial as how the person looks.

If you could meet one person who is alive today, or get his autograph, or spend some time with that person, who would it be? And why?

Now contrast that with the kind of person whom God esteems. It may surprise you that anyone would have God’s respect, but there is such a person. “‘This is the one I esteem: he who is humble and contrite in spirit, and trembles at my word” (66:2). Earning God’s esteem is not a matter of looks, abilities or talent but of character.

Since character counts, being esteemed by God is within reach of all of us. If it were based on ability, talent or attractiveness, we could not all attain it. Remember that man looks on the outside, but God on the inside. While many are driven to earn the esteem and respect of others, our priority should be to gain that from God. So, work on humility, being contrite and responsive to the Word of God.

Is your character like the person’s who is esteemed by God? Write out this verse and meditate on it today, asking God to help you be one whom He esteems.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 26, 2005, 01:32:00 AM »

Scripture Reference 1 Timothy 3 Jeremiah 1

Acceptable Conduct

Jeremiah 1–2, 1 Timothy 3
Key Verse: 1 Timothy 3:14–15

Sometimes we read signs that begin with the words, “Rules for Use of . . . .” They might be posted on the wall at a swimming pool or an exercise room. The purpose is to inform or remind you of how you are to conduct yourself there.

Paul did that for the church. He made a list that could be posted by the door as a reminder of what is acceptable and unacceptable conduct. Typically this list is applied only to the leaders of the church. Yet Paul said, “I write so that you may know how you ought to conduct yourself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God.” Yes, these rules apply to leaders but they are the standard of conduct for all believers.

Now read again 1 Timothy 3:1–13, marking the specific “rules.” Imagine writing them out and posting them on the wall of the church. “Be blameless” would be rule number one, followed by statements on marital fidelity, temper, self-discipline, hospitality and gossip. Hopefully, this list would make quite an impression on Christians.

Far more significant than pool regulations against running and obeying the lifeguard is this list for conduct in the church. Those pool rules are for your safety, to keep you from getting hurt, and for your enjoyment so that your time at the pool will be pleasant. Following the list in 1 Timothy 3 will do the same: it will keep people from getting hurt at church and help make their time there a blessing.

It is easier to apply rules to others. But don’t miss how your life should measure up to this standard. If you are a leader in your church, this passage is especially applicable.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 26, 2005, 01:33:32 AM »

Scripture Reference Jeremiah 3 1 Timothy 4

In Training

Jeremiah 3–5, 1 Timothy 4
Key Verses: 1 Timothy 4:7–8

Sports dominates our society. We read about it in the newspaper and watch it on TV. Our cities spend enormous sums of money on facilities, and shopping malls include stores that specialize in helping you become an athlete—or at least look like one. Unfortunately, putting on running shoes will not make you a runner. You must train to be a runner, work at it and discipline yourself.

Paul never said, “Don’t exercise.” He did say that the effort we put into physical conditioning is of some value, but more valuable is training ourselves to be godly. Athletic training is good for now, but godliness is good for now and forever!

The athlete knows the need for training as well as the discipline needed to train. But it is one thing to know and another to do. Somewhere between knowing and doing is discipline. The athlete must discipline himself to do what will ultimately benefit him.

It’s the same for the Christian. We can know that we should be godly and that godliness doesn’t just happen—it’s something we need to work on. It’s also true that we can know what to do but not do it because we lack the discipline.

Isn’t it ironic that people will watch what they eat, follow an exercise routine and avoid the things that will hurt them physically, but fail to apply the same discipline to their spiritual lives? Just as physical conditioning doesn’t simply happen, neither does spiritual fitness.

Are you spiritually fit? Or are you more of a Christian couch potato, willing to watch but not do? Paul says, “Train yourself to be godly” (4:7). This is a command. Are you obeying it?

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2005, 10:25:56 PM »

Scripture Reference 1 Timothy 5 Jeremiah 6

Directions

Jeremiah 6–8, 1 Timothy 5
Key Verse: Jeremiah 6:16

“Should you call for directions?” my wife asked.

“No,” I replied, “I have a map.” Actually, I was printing a map off the Internet as she asked. I knew of a Web site where I could enter the address and get a map. So, off we went, map in hand, into a part of town that was new to us. We found the house on our first try. It sure was better than wandering around lost—or worse yet, having to stop and ask for directions!

I really like the maps I get off the Web. They can be very specific, showing me the exact location of the place I am going, and I don’t have to fold them up again! A person needs to be a cross between a professional accordion player and an origami expert to refold maps.

Jeremiah gave a warning to Judah. The people had wandered off the road, the path of God’s righteousness. So the prophet said, “Ask for directions. Get back on the right road.” He also promised that they would find rest for their souls if they did this.

We all know the tension of getting lost trying to find someone’s house. However, there is a greater tension—a spiritual one—when we get off the path of God’s choosing. That is why Jeremiah’s instruction is critical for us today. We need to keep the map in hand, the Word of God, because in it we will find “where the good way is” (6:16).

Consider your path today. If you are off course, decide to get back on the right path and find the rest that God promises.

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2005, 10:27:42 PM »

Scripture Reference 1 Timothy 6 Jeremiah 9

Something to Brag About

Jeremiah 9–11, 1 Timothy 6
Key Verses: Jeremiah 9:23–24

Sports can bring out boasting in a person—both before and especially after the game. On any given weekend, players and teams let anyone who will listen know that they are number one. Some players wear their achievements literally on their shoulders with letterman jackets. Championship rings are flaunted, trophy rooms built and museums are opened to display their accomplishments.

Others brag about what they have without saying a word. They drive flashy cars or have a haughty walk and look. A wad of bills pulled from the pocket is meant to impress.

A common challenge is to keep our pride under control, whether it’s pride about our intelligence, athletic ability or financial position. Pride happens, and so does boasting.

But God says, “Don’t!” These are not the things to brag about.

Instead, He says, “Let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me” (9:24). Knowing God is the only thing in which we should take pride.

The athlete will grow older, his skills diminished by age. The wealthy person will one day realize that the abundance of life is not found in possessions. Even the intellectual may see others pass him by and ultimately realize that his mental abilities are less than they once were.

Knowing God, though, just gets better and lasts for all eternity. Now that is worth boasting about!

Can you say, “I know God”? If you can, think about how great and permanent that is. It is a blessing worth telling to others.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 32 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the