Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:57:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  IS SATURDAY THE CHRISTIAN SABBATH?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: IS SATURDAY THE CHRISTIAN SABBATH?  (Read 14678 times)
Chesed

Zechariah 2:10-12

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2004, 12:27:07 AM »

Question:

Why would Jesus say this: Mt 24:20 - "But pray that your flight will not be in the winter, or on a Sabbath."
Why would it matter if the Sabbath would be done away with?

'Sing & be glad, Daughter of Zion! For behold, I am coming & I will dwell in your midst, says the Lord. Many nations will join themselves to the Lord on that day & they will become a people unto Me; & I will dwell in your midst. Then you will know that the Lord sent me to you.'
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2004, 02:36:16 AM »

Chesed,

It wasn't done away with - it was expanded to 24/7 after the perfect sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the CROSS. The work of Jesus Christ was PERFECT AND FINISHED.

Tom

Chesed

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2004, 12:30:37 PM »

Tom -

it (the Sabbath) was expanded to 24/7

If this is the case, then the verse I quoted above doesn't make sense. It is obvious that Jesus is referring to one specific day. He was speaking to His disciples, who were Israelites, and knew that He speaking about the 7th day Sabbath.

~ Chesed

'Sing & be glad, Daughter of Zion! For behold, I am coming & I will dwell in your midst, says the Lord. Many nations will join themselves to the Lord on that day & they will become a people unto Me; & I will dwell in your midst. Then you will know that the Lord sent me to you.'
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2004, 03:18:32 PM »

AFTER

THE CROSS!!

Chesed

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2004, 12:56:53 AM »

Tom -

You say that the Sabbath became expanded to 24/7 after the cross? Could you please reference a verse for that? Thanx.

Also, the verse I quoted from Matthew 24 where Jesus is telling us to pray that our flight won't be on the Sabbath, Jesus is speaking about the end times. Atleast, that is always how I interpreted it and what I have always been taught about Matt. 24. Do you have a different understanding?

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2004, 01:54:07 AM »

Chesed,

I don't plan to spend much time arguing about the Sabbath. Those answers are already posted in numerous places on the forum.

Here's a hint for you if you don't care to look at a massive amount of information already posted.

#1 Jesus was talking to Jews who were living under Mosaic Law, the Old Covenant.

#2 Jesus had not gone to the CROSS yet, so the New Covenant was NOT in place yet.

#3 What are the commandments of Jesus Christ? List them.

#4 Try to determine what the purpose of the CROSS was.

#5 Try to determine what the effects of the CROSS were and are.

#6 Do a forum search for "Sabbath" and study what you find.

By the way:

Is there some reason why you have two accounts?

Chesed
oneBook

Tell me about it.

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2004, 01:58:36 AM »

Is there some reason why you have two accounts?

Chesed
oneBook

Oops Sad

Busted! Embarrassed

oneBook

Long poster (sorry)!

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2004, 02:52:33 AM »

Dreamweaver and all, I just wanted to vouch for Chesed, I am her husband, she doesn't have 2 accounts (or two personalities
 Smiley )

That's why we post from the same IP, and why there are 2 separate accounts, and why we agree on so many topics....

Boy is she a beautiful woman....

Of course, how do you know that I really exist, this being the Internet and all....  JK Grin

Regarding your points BEP; even though they were directed to my wife, allow me to answer-

#1 Jesus was talking to Jews who were living under Mosaic Law, the Old Covenant.

The term Old Covenant only appears in one place in the apostolic writing (2 Cor 3:14), and the New Covenent is an reverence from the Prophets (Jer. 31:31).  The Old Covenant is not the first 2/3 of our Bible, but is a reference to people who approach the law without faith as per the 2 Cor. verse above.

#2 Jesus had not gone to the CROSS yet, so the New Covenant was NOT in place yet.

The New Covenant is not fully realized yet, because not every man knows the Lord as specified in Jerimiah.  It is put into effect with Jesus blood, and when accomplished, all people will fulfill the requirements of the Mosaic law because God will write it on their hearts.

#3 What are the commandments of Jesus Christ? List them.

Most of them are outlined in the first 5 books since the law was given by Jesus to Moses.  Remember, Jesus is God.  When He was here, He kept His law perfectly, and told His disciples to follow His example.

#4 Try to determine what the purpose of the CROSS was.

The cross was payment for the sins of those who God choose to save and responded to his call to repentance.

Eph. 1:5-8
5 He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will, 6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved. 7 In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace 8 which He lavished on us.

#5 Try to determine what the effects of the CROSS were and are.

My sins are taken away, and God's spirit can then empower me to live up to the standard of His law that I couldn't without faith.

Philippians 2:12-13

12 So then, my beloved, just as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your salvation with fear and trembling; 13 for it is God who is at work in you, both to will and to work for His good pleasure.

#6 Do a forum search for "Sabbath" and study what you find.

I looked through the site, but didn't find that Sabbath switch to 24/7 verse you were talking about, but I searched my Bible and found a ton of references about the 7th day Sabbath.  One interesting fact I found was that in Greek, the Bible doesn't say Sunday once, but "the first day from the Sabbath".  I thought it was odd that all the days of the week mentioned in the Greek say "from the Sabbath" after them.

Well, here is my test, please tell me how I did

Smiley
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2004, 03:14:57 AM »

Chesed and OneBook,

First, I grow weary of argument and debate, especially with another person who may be a Brother or Sister in Christ. Only God knows, certainly not me. For that reason, there are many topics that I don't argue or debate. However, there are some topics that I must contend for, regardless of health, until the day I die. The purpose and meaning of the CROSS is one of those topics. My health is very poor, so you will have to be patient as I prepare a proof just for you, and anyone else who may be reading this thread. I will not be debating each post or arguing over details, but you are more than welcome to post a rebuttal. I just won't answer the rebuttal. I've been a Christian over 50 years and I've heard the law, works, and Sabbath arguments a thousand times. They simply deny the purpose, meaning, and effect of the CROSS. So, please don't be offended that I'm not interested in the arguments. I've studied those arguments a thousand times, and they represent a combination of problems that confuse a large number of people:  (1) God has dealt with Israel specially and apart, and HE is not through dealing with Israel specially and apart; (2) There are many Jews who believe that Jesus Christ is VERY GOD who died on the CROSS, and they would be members of the Church Which is the BODY OF CHRIST. However, the majority of Jews do not believe, and they are not saved. A huge problem involves some people failing to make a distinction between Israel and the Church Which is the BODY OF CHRIST. That leads to massive confusion in Bible Study; (3) Who is the speaker, what is the time, who is the audience, and what is the purpose must also be carefully considered when studying the Bible; (4) Now, the largest consideration - was it before or after the CROSS?

Second, the information on the multiple accounts would have been nice to receive on my first or second request. Husband and wife are most definitely welcome to use Christians Unite. The majority of people with multiple accounts are trolls, here to cause trouble.

Regarding the commandments of Jesus, you weren't even close. Regarding the Sabbath, you are trying to live in another age prior to the CROSS, under the law. Be patient, and I'll give you the proof for that also, even though all of the topics in question are already posted on the forum, ready to read and study.

Law and Grace - Part One

The entire Bible, from cover to cover, is intended for instruction and edification. It is completely correct to say that one can't understand many portions of the Bible at all unless they have studied all of it and have a basic understanding of the entire Bible. That's why many people make a serious error when they isolate certain portions of the Holy Bible, take them out of context, and have no idea what the purpose was and who the intended audience was. This error robs the reader of the most precious TRUTHS in the BIBLE.

As an example of the above, I am not a Jew, but I immensely enjoy portions of the Holy Bible that are directed to Israel or are about Israel. This would obviously include the prophecies of the Holy Bible that are yet to be fulfilled with Israel. Israel, will indeed be the center stage and focus of the entire World. God promised that, and HIS promise will be kept. However, I'm not Israel, nor am I a Jew. I've not lived under the First Covenant or the Second Covenant with Israel. I've lived under the GRACE OF ALMIGHTY GOD, the PERFECT SACRIFICE OF JESUS CHRIST ON THE CROSS, and JESUS CHRIST as my Lord and Saviour. This does not hint or imply that I ignore the rest of the Holy Bible, just the opposite. One must understand the misery and bondage of mankind to appreciate THE CROSS and the LOVE of our Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ. I can't sufficiently explain this in a series of posts, nor can I study the Holy Bible for you. I can tell you that "RIGHTLY DIVIDING THE WORD OF TRUTH" is an absolute must if you wish to understand the MOST PRECIOUS TRUTHS of the Holy Bible. Isolating portions or taking them out of context will simply lead to confusion. Most Study Bibles have references, cross-references, and contrasts that can be and SHOULD BE used, if you really wish to understand what you are reading. Those references, etc., may take you from cover to cover of the Holy Bible, and that SHOULD BE done if you wish to really understand.
____________________ End Part One

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2004, 11:23:40 PM »

Question:

Why would Jesus say this: Mt 24:20 - "But pray that your flight will not be in the winter, or on a Sabbath."
Why would it matter if the Sabbath would be done away with?

While believers observe eternal rest in Christ....however non believing Jews still observe a Sabbath.  Thus all the gates doors, walls etc would be closed, preventing an escape, should that time happen on a Jewish Sabbath.  

Grace and Peace!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2004, 11:26:22 PM by 2nd Timothy » Logged

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2004, 12:08:49 AM »

OneBook,

I'm having a similar discussion with Silver Surfer and decided there would be no purpose of posting the same posts in two locations. So - please see:

Prophesy - Current Events

Faith & Works ?

Tom

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the