Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:22:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286803 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  IS SATURDAY THE CHRISTIAN SABBATH?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: IS SATURDAY THE CHRISTIAN SABBATH?  (Read 14674 times)
homie

Halal Yahve!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2003, 02:00:34 PM »

blackeyedpeas, I agree with everything you said in your post (except correcting a brother's spelling for the sake of bringing him down, that is "ad hominem", a low form of argumenting). But I was under the understanding that some were claiming that the 10 commandments (or the 9, as I'd like to call them) no longer applied. This I have argumented against, and no one have refuted my arguments. That the 10 commandments still apply is both logical and biblical.

Jesus Christ saved us, died for our sins, right? But if there are no laws (no commandments, thus no sins), what have He saved us from? Why would we need Him? If there are no sins, there are no sinners!
Wreck N Sow

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2003, 05:49:44 PM »

Hi Homie
I dont mind being corrected. In fact its refreshing to have someone here point to something i posted and reply to it. They usually just misdirect by pointing to one of their one liners. Be that as it may i am sorry i spilled choir wrong and i will try to remember its spilling from here on in. I am deeply sorry...kinda
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2003, 06:29:59 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Wreck and Homie,

You boys are right, sort of. Some words start with a large letter for terms of respect (i.e. Scripture, Christ, Lord, God, Holy Bible, etc.). Regardless, I'm through discussing the Sabbath. I'll enjoy my rest, peace, joy, and fellowship with our Lord every day, and you can do whatever floats your boat.

Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2003, 08:45:26 AM »

Oklahoma Howdy to Wreck and Homie,

You boys are right, sort of. Some words start with a large letter for terms of respect (i.e. Scripture, Christ, Lord, God, Holy Bible, etc.). Regardless, I'm through discussing the Sabbath. I'll enjoy my rest, peace, joy, and fellowship with our Lord every day, and you can do whatever floats your boat.

DITTO Grin

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
moonmeister

Just Passin' Thru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2003, 11:25:46 AM »

Great topic. I'm new to the forum, but not new to the issue. I've seen so many people hash and rehash this issue, but the truth is very simply this. When God instituted the Sabbath it wasn't Christian and it wasn't Jewish. It was His, and because it was His, and still is I might add, it applies to all of humanity and not just a small segment.

I've seen the argument posed that Jesus is the Christian's Sabbath, i.e., we just rest in Him everyday. Well, that sounds good, but the problem is it's not biblical. If the Sabbath is fulfilled in Christ such that Christians don't have to observe it anymore then the same goes for any of the other commandments God gave. Jesus fulfilled the rest of God's Law too. Does that mean I no longer have to honor my mother and father? Does that mean that I can steal, commit adultery, murder, lie, and anything else that His law addresses? Common sense says no. But Paul said where there is no law there is no sin. If the Law has been done away with, because if we dispose of the Sabbath we must also do the same for the rest of God's Law seeing as how they were given together as a single unit, then there is no longer a need to preach repentance since there is nothing left to tell us what sin is.

It has been said that Jesus never said anything to believers requiring them to observe the Sabbath. Did anyone stop to think that He never told them not to? Jesus clearly said that He didn't come to change the Law. If the Sabbath was no longer meant to be kept Paul would have said so. The fact that he expressed what he did to the Galatians should not be misconstrued to mean that he was telling them they should no longer observe the Sabbath. Why would he tell them to cease from observing something that God had commanded? That would be like saying it's okay to commit adultery now because you no longer have to obey the seventh commandment. Did it ever occur to anyone that the days he was referring to might have something to do with something other than the Sabbath?

It has been also suggested by many, that to continue to observe the Sabbath is to go back under legalism, but I can say the same thing to those who will staunchly say that it is sin to lie, steal, commit adultery, and murder. The transgression of one law is no different than the transgression of another according to James.

I believe the problem lies in the idea that if one were to observe the Sabbath he wouldn't be able to do the things he would like to do, i.e., go shopping, go to the dragstrip, watch his sports on the tube, do his yardwork, and anything else that detracts from what the Sabbath is about. I notice in Scripture that Jesus never once complained about keeping the Sabbath because He kept it in accordance to His Father's will, not His own. It wasn't a burden to Him, but it certainly is to most professing Christians. If Christians were truly following Jesus' example there wouldn't be any complaints at all, but it seems that many Christians feel that Jesus did what He did so we wouldn't have to. What a Laodicean mindset that is. Jesus spoke of self-denial in Luke 9:23. How many professing Christians are actually willing to deny themselves in order to honor what God ordained? Not too many I'm afraid. I guess that's what grace is all about. It affords me the leeway to live the way I want rather than the way God wants. But that isn't really grace, that's a license to sin, which raises the question, what is what the modern day church considers conversion really all about?

"He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked."--1 John 2:6
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2003, 03:33:50 PM »

Great topic. I'm new to the forum, but not new to the issue. I've seen so many people hash and rehash this issue, but the truth is very simply this. When God instituted the Sabbath it wasn't Christian and it wasn't Jewish. It was His, and because it was His, and still is I might add, it applies to all of humanity and not just a small segment.

I've seen the argument posed that Jesus is the Christian's Sabbath, i.e., we just rest in Him everyday. Well, that sounds good, but the problem is it's not biblical. If the Sabbath is fulfilled in Christ such that Christians don't have to observe it anymore then the same goes for any of the other commandments God gave. Jesus fulfilled the rest of God's Law too. Does that mean I no longer have to honor my mother and father? Does that mean that I can steal, commit adultery, murder, lie, and anything else that His law addresses? Common sense says no. But Paul said where there is no law there is no sin. If the Law has been done away with, because if we dispose of the Sabbath we must also do the same for the rest of God's Law seeing as how they were given together as a single unit, then there is no longer a need to preach repentance since there is nothing left to tell us what sin is.

It has been said that Jesus never said anything to believers requiring them to observe the Sabbath. Did anyone stop to think that He never told them not to? Jesus clearly said that He didn't come to change the Law. If the Sabbath was no longer meant to be kept Paul would have said so. The fact that he expressed what he did to the Galatians should not be misconstrued to mean that he was telling them they should no longer observe the Sabbath. Why would he tell them to cease from observing something that God had commanded? That would be like saying it's okay to commit adultery now because you no longer have to obey the seventh commandment. Did it ever occur to anyone that the days he was referring to might have something to do with something other than the Sabbath?

It has been also suggested by many, that to continue to observe the Sabbath is to go back under legalism, but I can say the same thing to those who will staunchly say that it is sin to lie, steal, commit adultery, and murder. The transgression of one law is no different than the transgression of another according to James.

I believe the problem lies in the idea that if one were to observe the Sabbath he wouldn't be able to do the things he would like to do, i.e., go shopping, go to the dragstrip, watch his sports on the tube, do his yardwork, and anything else that detracts from what the Sabbath is about. I notice in Scripture that Jesus never once complained about keeping the Sabbath because He kept it in accordance to His Father's will, not His own. It wasn't a burden to Him, but it certainly is to most professing Christians. If Christians were truly following Jesus' example there wouldn't be any complaints at all, but it seems that many Christians feel that Jesus did what He did so we wouldn't have to. What a Laodicean mindset that is. Jesus spoke of self-denial in Luke 9:23. How many professing Christians are actually willing to deny themselves in order to honor what God ordained? Not too many I'm afraid. I guess that's what grace is all about. It affords me the leeway to live the way I want rather than the way God wants. But that isn't really grace, that's a license to sin, which raises the question, what is what the modern day church considers conversion really all about?

Every Law Keeper and Sabbath Keeper I know does NOT need a license to sin, they sin more than most.  Grin

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2003, 03:58:28 AM »

QUOTE: A4C

Every Law Keeper and Sabbath Keeper I know does NOT need a license to sin, they sin more than most.

---------------------------------------------

Amen

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Wreck N Sow

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2003, 09:32:03 AM »

Every Law Keeper and Sabbath Keeper I know does NOT need a license to sin, they sin more than most.
Amen
Brother Love

Well Bro love and A4C dont ya think as preachers of the gospel of grace that you should show all these law keepers and sabbath keepers Romans 2 V.11-13. That would show those bad guys a thing or two. They cant just talk how they are supposed to keep Gods ten commandments and they themselves do not. For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified. Thatll show them guys!

ROMANS 2  
[11] For there is no respect of persons with God.
[12] For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;
[13] (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2003, 02:29:04 PM »

Amen
Brother Love

Well Bro love and A4C dont ya think as preachers of the gospel of grace that you should show all these law keepers and sabbath keepers Romans 2 V.11-13. That would show those bad guys a thing or two. They cant just talk how they are supposed to keep Gods ten commandments and they themselves do not. For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified. Thatll show them guys!

ROMANS 2  
[11] For there is no respect of persons with God.
[12] For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;
[13] (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.

Thats my Job  Grin

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

Wreck N Sow

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2003, 08:47:50 PM »

a4c more scripture you can deny

EZEKIEL 20[12] Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them.

MY Sabbaths- a sign that I the LORD sanctify them

ISAIAH 66[15] For, behold, the LORD will come with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind, to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire.[16] For by fire and by his sword will the LORD plead with all flesh: and the slain of the LORD shall be many.[17] They that sanctify themselves, and purify themselves in the gardens behind one tree in the midst, eating swine's flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse, shall be consumed together, saith the LORD.

Fire,whirlwind(Day of the Lord)-could be here soon a4c
They that sanctify themselves-
Shall be consumed , saith the LORD.

youve had your reward Grin
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2003, 04:58:37 AM »

a4c more scripture you can deny

EZEKIEL 20[12] Moreover also I gave them my sabbaths, to be a sign between me and them, that they might know that I am the LORD that sanctify them.

MY Sabbaths- a sign that I the LORD sanctify them

ISAIAH 66[15] For, behold, the LORD will come with fire, and with his chariots like a whirlwind, to render his anger with fury, and his rebuke with flames of fire.[16] For by fire and by his sword will the LORD plead with all flesh: and the slain of the LORD shall be many.[17] They that sanctify themselves, and purify themselves in the gardens behind one tree in the midst, eating swine's flesh, and the abomination, and the mouse, shall be consumed together, saith the LORD.

Fire,whirlwind(Day of the Lord)-could be here soon a4c
They that sanctify themselves-
Shall be consumed , saith the LORD.

youve had your reward Grin

youve had your reward  Smiley

Yes Saturday is "PIZZA" Day for me and my Family.

A4C What do you do on Saturdays Brother?

Brother Love Smiley

<Smiley))><
Paul2
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2003, 12:37:59 PM »

I figured out what "Wreck and Sow" must mean:

He WRECKS the Gospel of Grace and SOWS the Law of Works!

Paul2 Cool

Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2003, 03:34:11 PM »

Paul2 Cool

Thanks Paul2 ((Brother)) How sad, but how True  Grin

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2003, 03:46:06 AM »

Paul2 Cool

Right On!!

Brother Love Smiley

<Smiley))><
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2004, 07:36:21 PM »

For my friend Silver Smiley

IS SATURDAY THE CHRISTIAN SABBATH?

We know that Saturday was the Jewish Sabbath, being the last day of the week; but is it the Christian Sabbath? Some believe that the Emperor Constantine changed the sabbath from Saturday to Sunday, but that God’s command is still to keep Saturday. Others believe that Christ changed the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday; therefore we should observe Sunday. Neither of these suppositions is correct. God never changed the sabbath from Saturday to another day. Neither did He give a sabbath day to the Body of Christ to keep. When professing Christians either continued, or began keeping, sabbath days, it was an indication to Paul that they had never under-stood the grace of God and that his labour had been in vain upon them. Listen to his words:

"Ye observe days,—I am afraid for you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain." (Gal. 4:10-11).

"Let no man judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holy day, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ." (Col. 2:16-17.)

A few years before Paul wrote these words, he could have been lawfully stoned to death for such teaching; for according to the law of Moses, a man was to be judged for these very things. But Christ had died and had become the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth (Rom. 10:4). Some try to argue that Christ became the end only of the ceremonial law, but that the sabbath along with the other nine commandments is still in effect. This is refuted by the Bible in several ways. First, the Apostle classes "sabbath keeping" with the other ceremonies which were shadows of good things to come, and emphatically denounces the keeping of the legal sabbath. Secondly, although some contend that the sabbath was given to Adam 2500 years before Moses and was therefore not a part of the law, the Bible makes it plain from Exodus 16:29; Ezekiel 20:12: and Nehemiah 9:10-12 that it was not given for man to keep until the law was given to Moses, and hence was one of those things written upon tables of stone which was "done away", "abolished" (II Corinthians 3:7-12). It is plainly stated in Exodus 31 that the sabbath was a sign between Jehovah and the children of Israel (verses 12 to 17). Thirdly, the teaching of Paul as to how the law was put aside is most conclusive. God put the law aside by causing it to judge us, condemn us, and put us to death in the person of a Substitute; so that we "are become dead to the law by the body of Christ," and "the law hath dominion over a man (only) as long as he liveth" (Rom. 7:1-4). It is because we died to the world of sin and of religious practices that we are no longer to be judged by such things (see Colossians 2:20; Galatians 2:20; etc.). The believer is dead, buried and risen with Christ. The sabbath was buried with Christ: Read Colossians 2:14

No one ever enjoyed the true sabbath rest by keeping of a day (Hebrews 4:4-11); for all who do such are working to keep the sabbath day; but it is necessary to cease from all our works, as God did, to have real rest. The sabbath days were a shadow of Christ. He has done all the work, so that we now find our rest in Him. He is our Sabbath. We can now come unto Him and rest. He died under the Law and was in the grave on the sabbath. He arose the Head of a new creation on the first day of the week, and it is for that reason that we, as members of that new creation, meet upon that day to preach the Word. (Acts 20:6, 7; I Corinthians 16:2; etc.).

by Charles F. Baker

Re-Posted By Brother Love Smiley

<Smiley))><

<Smiley))><
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the