Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:25:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  reading the "original" Bible
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: reading the "original" Bible  (Read 10046 times)
one sheep

The fear of The Lord is the beginning of wisdom

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2005, 07:49:42 AM »

Hello all-

This is in response primarily to Acedia, the one who started the thread. I agree with this person, and I encourage you to keep studying the koine Greek.
There is a huge difference between the Kione Greek, and the English. People that deny this are not even thinking logically. Just look at how much English changes, our street language is acceptable. Words like bootylicious, phat, and a plethora of other so-called words, violate English consistantly, even though it's not proper English at all. It's the gradual dumbing down of society. But it has become acceptable to talk like an idiot.
Koine, was the common (street language) of the 1st century Church and the general public. And Jesus, used their expressions, vernacular, and so on. To communicate with them, yet without sin.

Touching on the brief comment that someone made  on the word love, or agapeo in the Kione;
English tranlates this word into one general definition, when in fact there are at least 24 different meanings for this word in the Koine Greek. The same is true of many, many other words in the Bible.
We (English) use two of the 24 words for "love". And people interpret them both to mean the basic same thing, and they are not at all the same.
Proof is also in the context, not just the word itself.

Example: And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it. II Jon 1:6

This is the agape that God demands of the true believer. Allegance to Him is commanded by Him, regardless of what others say, do, think, or teach.

Do we (all professing Christ) have this kind of love? Clearly, NO.

If we did, there wouldn't be over 250 + denominations, and splinter groups of them.

Jesus, taught the apostles to not phileo the world. Or show affection for it. Churchianity says that we must 'phileo' everyone, God doesn't say this at all, but it has become accepted as what God said. He didn't teach "agreeing to disagree" That is a false teaching incorporated into the faith.

So yes, there is a difference in the translations. And this is only one example. If I am wrong, then someone will have to disprove it from the bible.

For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ. Gal 1:10

This scripture also alludes to the meaning of true love.

There are many mistranlated words in the English versions, even the AV (KJV) because half of the translators where Catholic. So their imputations have greatly impaired the true meanings of words. Because their theology was opposing the protestant translators. The result was a compromised text which had to be approved by King James.

I applaud Acedia for wanting to study the koine Greek, it does make a difference in understanding the word of God, if it didn't the great scholars of the past would not have bothered compiling a Concordance, or a parsing guide.

God has hidden things in plain sight, and tells us to dig for them. If you don't desire truth, you will not bother with original definitions of words.

And look at the difference in their teaching, and understand, compared to today?
Again, if this is wrong, you need to disprove it.

A mathetes of The Lord
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2005, 08:11:00 AM »

Hello One Sheep,

I see this is your first post, so WELCOME!!

I sincerely hope that you enjoy the Christian fellowship here.

Real Bible Study takes considerable time, and it's worth every second of it. The common things that I like to stress is putting everything into context, identifying the speaker, identifying the audience, identifying the purpose, and following all links to references and comparisons. YES! - a good concordance is a must. Word studies from the ancient languages clear up many misunderstandings.

I would like to make one Scripture comment about your references to love:

Matthew 22:36 ASV  Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?
Matthew 22:37 ASV  And he said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Matthew 22:38 ASV  This is the great and first commandment.
Matthew 22:39 ASV  And a second like unto it is this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.
Matthew 22:40 ASV  On these two commandments the whole law hangeth, and the prophets.

The greatest example of Love in the Holy Bible is the Love JESUS had for us in dying on the CROSS for us. I obviously believe this is the greatest example of Agape Love.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Psalms 139:13-14 NASB  For You formed my inward parts; You wove me in my mother's womb.  I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, And my soul knows it very well.

Phil121

Insert pithy comment here

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2005, 05:14:31 PM »

Real Bible Study takes considerable time, and it's worth every second of it. The common things that I like to stress is putting everything into context, identifying the speaker, identifying the audience, identifying the purpose, and following all links to references and comparisons. YES! - a good concordance is a must. Word studies from the ancient languages clear up many misunderstandings.

Very sound advice, blackeyedpeas.

It's a good idea to understand the history of the times as well, especially when studying the Old Testament.

Also, one of the most useful resources of the interent, are concordences which allow you to look up the actual Greek or Hebrew word. That allows the reader to make his own decision on how accurately the passage is translated into English.

"To live is Christ, To die is gain"...Phillipians 1:21
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the