Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:14:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Movies (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  "The Passion" (Mel Gibson)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Passion" (Mel Gibson)  (Read 46207 times)
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 16, 2003, 09:35:38 AM »

Yes, Corpus, I think the NYer article has Mel with seven children.

No little risk here, then, with a family, and going out on a limb.
He's constantly on the move, previewing the movie to select groups around the country.  

Sort of the same with Judge Roy Moore there in Alabama.  Going out on a limb, family of three or four children.  Now suspended from his judgeship.
Saved_4ever
Gold Member

A KJV bible believing Christian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: September 16, 2003, 10:52:14 AM »

Posted by: tqpix  Posted on: September 14, 2003, 01:33:42 AM  
For those arguments between "Jesus nailed on the palm" vs. "Jesus nailed on the wrist":

Evidence uncovered by man says that people who were crucified were nailed throught the wrists.  

Absolutely!  The purpose was to give the victim a way to pull up and take a breath/exhale, can't recall which.  I think it was to exhale though.  Anyway, to put a nail through the hand would tear as the hand didn't have the strength and structure to support the weight.  This would have caused the victim to die earlier, which was the last thing they wanted.  It was supposed to last for days if possible.

Except that A) Jesus told Thomas (I believe) to put his fingers in his hand.  B) I have also seen and read that they tied their wrists to the poll with rope.  This would still hold them, they could pull up, and it would be most painful.

Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2003, 02:53:57 AM »

Except that A) Jesus told Thomas (I believe) to put his fingers in his hand.  B) I have also seen and read that they tied their wrists to the poll with rope.  This would still hold them, they could pull up, and it would be most painful.

Yes, Jesus told Thomas to put his fingers in His hand.  However, in the Jewish mind, the "hand" included the wrist.  Kind of like how the Jewish seat for the emotions, wasn't the heart, but the bowels, hence "bowels of compassion."  Also, how the heart was indicative of the mental processes among other things.  Scripture doesn't need bending here.  It's a cultural understanding of the word "hand."  Nevertheless, Roman practice was to pierce the wrist, between the bones of the wrist, beneath to palm to provide a solid wedge.  Remember, the Romans were very efficient.

And yes, they often did tie the wrists to the cross, but that was not the common approach.  Keep in mind that this was a method of punishing criminals.  The worse the punishment, the greater the deterent to commit such crimes.  Being nailed to something that cause breathing to be difficult would have been quite a deterent!

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Jabez

Fisher of Men

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2003, 08:13:22 AM »

I for one cant wait for this movie to be shown here,only thing is i live in a very small virginia town,so iam not sure if march/april the movie will be here,but iam willing to drive..

Psalm 118:8  1 John 4:1-3
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 24, 2003, 10:21:44 AM »

Just heard on the news "The Passion" due out in February...
Corpus
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2003, 12:44:36 PM »

Symph,

Do you know the date? Originally I'd heard Ash Wednesday.
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2003, 05:57:26 PM »

The EXACT date?   Embarrassed

No, sorry.  I don't know.  They just said February.  I'm sorry, Ash Wednesday I can never remember when that is.   Undecided

Seriously, from reading that New Yorker article, I don't honestly know how Gibson could even get a fix on a release date, there seem so many conflicting undercurrents going on for him, with this thing...

And if it even approaches a kind of depiction of Jesus that I think it should be, or might be, I wouldn't be surprised if the obstacles and consternation this is causing, as alluded to in that article, wouldn't be every bit more than what is suggested there.

I mean, Gibson talks about them coming to his house to kill him(if he leaves Caiphus's declaration, "His blood be on us and our children", in the movie...), or being threatened at his smoking club in Beverly Hills...

ebia
Gold Member

umm

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2003, 06:00:12 PM »

No, sorry.  I don't know.  They just said February.  I'm sorry, Ash Wednesday I can never remember when that is.   Undecided
40 days, not counting the Sundays, before Easter.

"You shall know the truth, the truth shall set you free.

Christ doesn't need lies or censorship.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2003, 08:38:03 PM »

The start of lent. It is going to suck for the poor souls who choose to fast junkfood Sad There goes half the fun of a good Movie experance right there!  Grin

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Corpus
« Reply #54 on: September 25, 2003, 08:47:15 AM »

Tibby,

Think we can get a dispensation for popcorn and soda if we see it on Ash Wednesday?
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 25, 2003, 12:16:54 PM »

Okay, my '04 calendar has Ash Wednesday as February 25.

That's easier than counting backward, not counting Sundays, from Easter, forty days.   Tongue  (Woo!  Who thinks up these rules??) Embarrassed

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 25, 2003, 01:20:38 PM »

It might be, Sym. Easter has been knows to bump over into March sometimes. I'll check on it later. All that Matter is the day before Wink
lol j/k

Corpus, I don't plan of fasting Junk food, anyways! Grin We are fasting, not killing our selves. We can write the Pope. John Paul seems like a reasonable man Grin lol, I as see that now:

Dear Holy Father,

We beseech you to hold the lent-thingy off for a few days so we can see “Passions” Thanks, dude!

Sincerely,
The people whose offering supplies you with a steady Cash follow, even after you did a crappy job handling the Boston issue.

Grin  

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Corpus
« Reply #57 on: September 25, 2003, 01:39:58 PM »

Tibby,

Ouch! You're right about Boston of course. I'd have the abusers strung up by their toenails in Vatican Square and make their respective bishops 'tend' to their daily needs. The bishops could wear signs reading:  "ENABLER."
Saved_4ever
Gold Member

A KJV bible believing Christian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 25, 2003, 02:07:44 PM »

The start of lent. It is going to suck for the poor souls who choose to fast junkfood Sad There goes half the fun of a good Movie experance right there!  Grin

A wonderfully, unscriptura,l worthless practice.   Roll Eyes

It's not even CLOSE to fasting.

Corpus
« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2003, 02:34:35 PM »

Saved,

Is this going to become a   "my fast is bigger than your fast"  argument?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the