Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:33:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286798 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  What is the source of "bad luck?"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is the source of "bad luck?"  (Read 2440 times)
Wren

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2003, 11:10:15 PM »

For about two months now I have been having a SERIOUS run of bad luck. Work that was lined up, canceled. No replys to ads for work(I'm a carpenter). Go fishing, can't catch anything. Troubles dealing on E-bay. Can't fry an egg without breaking the yoke. I'm talking A to Z here folks. Work is obviously the biggie problem. But misfortune, big and small, prevades my daily life.
 So I pray that this will change, and Lord willing, it shall. But how does this come about? Are some of us sent out on rougher seas than others? Is God testing/trying/punishing me? Can Satan plague a persons world in an effort to get them to turn against God? Or is it simply something that happens? I've been on tough times before, but nothing like this! Even my beagles have stopped obeying me!  

...old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.....
BDoggy

Have you heard? I broke up with Mary Jane! :)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2003, 09:50:02 PM »

I really don't want to sound insensitive, but what you have just described sounds, perhaps unenjoyable, but not exactly tragic. think about people who have terminal illnesses, or who have lost loved ones, etc....
again, I don't want to sound insensitive or uncaring, and I hope that things start going better for you, but what I mean is, try focusing on things that you can be thankful for, and don't focus exclusively on slight misfortunes that you might have.  

"Virtually every theological heresy begins with a misconception of the nature of God."
                                            -Hank Hanegraaff
suzie

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 12:52:05 PM »

wren-

I dont believe in "bad" or "good" luck.  Instead, it seems to me that you arent getting work that you need or want, and so mentally are seeing things in a "negative" light that happen to many of us on a daily basis and are just happenings. I know I can get into that mentality at times when it seems like everything is out of whack. In actuality, however, I am distracted by a bigger problem and allow smaller things to attach to it.

What I do about it is to begin with praise and thankfulness.  Praise God for all that you have and all the blessings that He is and has bestowed unto you. You will find more than you think.  God allows us to work "on our own power" when we choose to, instead of under His guidance. This can bring someone to their knees quite readily. We on our own devices manage to make things usually quite a mess. God also sometimes allows us to go through some tough times in order to fully allow Him to work. Even those who are faithful are not immune from disaster from time to time. But the faithful never lose heart or trust that God will see them through.

So, keep your eyes on Him and in all ways acknowledge Him and He will guide your path.  Instead of seeing this time as "look what is happening to me" try seeing it as "How is God speaking to me through this"....it may help.  blessings to you!
Wren

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2003, 10:59:31 AM »

See, you ask for opinions from Christians and what do you get?
 Excellent answers is what. You're both very insightful, and accurate to boot. And I thank you both and ask the Lord to bless you and yours.

...old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.....
BDoggy

Have you heard? I broke up with Mary Jane! :)

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2003, 10:23:35 PM »

hey thanx wren! i was worried that you might think I was being insensitive, but I'm glad you understood what I was saying. Smiley yeah, that's one of the great things about knowing the Lord; no matter what's going on in our lives, we can always be thankful. the key is to first, keep an eternal perspective & remember that our hope is not in this life but in the life to come, and second, to remember that ultimately God is in control, and that He can & does work all things together for good to those who love Him.

God bless

"Virtually every theological heresy begins with a misconception of the nature of God."
                                            -Hank Hanegraaff
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the