Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:07:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Red Friday
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Red Friday  (Read 4911 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2005, 10:02:57 PM »

My mother and older sister taught me how to sew. I learned on an old treadle machine. We have four machines at the moment. A Brother embroidery machine, a touch screen electric, an older electric Kenmore with manual stitch settings and a really old Singer electric with a bunch of manual gear type stitch settings. Yeah the machines can be expensive. We got ours on sale at a time when I had the money. I also pick up old sewing machines people are throwing out and refurbish them. Then give those to people that need one.

My wife does the clothing. She is much better at that than I am. I do the quilts, curtains and embroidery. I ocassionally make some clothes but it has to be a very simple pattern like a vest or mens dress ties.

Our daughter-in-law sews now. Our dauther tries but she just doesn't have the knack, she is mentally handicapped and has to much difficulty with the machines. Our boys consider it to unmanly for them.

I didn't see M's post on that. I'll have to see if I can find it.

I visited an Amish settlement. Most of their sewing is done by hand. A few of the more liberal Amish will use a treadle machine.

I'll bet you guys are very well known in your area.

lol .... A little to much so at times. Some try to take advantage of it. I usually take so much of that and offer to teach them how. That usually gets the situation taken care of.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
John 3:16

My Heavenly Father Is Alive Today

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2005, 10:24:47 PM »

i have Email  this to Some of my Military buddys that are in Iraqi Right now and here's what one of them sent me back

Hey Richard i agree i have tolded this one  to a lot of people Here thanks for what ya doing and trust me if it was up to me it would look like christmas on friday of every week i would look like santa walking around From Iraqi US Army  Sargent Caudill

you all got some great ideas lol
Love in Christ
Richard

JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2005, 10:37:19 PM »

Whew - back with a red pocket polo - it's in the washer now.  (JC Penney is just around the corner.)  Grin

I had a thought while I was at the mall.  (I know, I know - JudgeNot thinking = DANGER WILL ROBINSON! DANGER!)

ATTENTION MODERATORS:  If this post is considered "marketing" you will not hurt my feelings by removing the post.

Here's the idea:  You hear all the time from libs "Well - I support the troops but not the war in Iraq..."  I know that makes many of you even sicker than it does me.

Well - I have some very close personal friends with an on-line custom graphics apparel business.  I'm sure they would be perfectly willing to embroider on RED polos:

"I SUPPORT OUR TROOPS AND THE WAR EFFORT". (or something along that line - I'd be willing to take suggestions on the exact wording.)

Now THAT would set the patriots apart from the "others".

Depending on the numbers, along with their wholesale buying power I could probably get them to make up LOTS of these shirts, and probably put together some kind of "e-coupon" that would knock a couple of bucks off for folks who heard about it through ChristianUnite.  

I'm going to guess around $8 to $14 for a good quality sport shirt.

Thoughts?  Would YOU order one?

Help out with wording:

RED FRIDAY
SUPPORT THE WAR EFFORT

FREEDOM FROM TERROR
SUPPORT OUR TROOPS AND THE WAR EFFORT

You get the drift....

Think about it...

God bless
JN

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2005, 10:47:09 PM »

JudgeNot,

Another good idea. As I was saying above I have an embroidery machine so I will do mine myself. I like "Red Friday I Support Our Troops and The War Effort".

I'm not sure if your post breaks the rules or not. I'll defer that to Beps.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2005, 11:44:03 PM »

Grin   Grin

We don't have a product, so it can't be advertising. AND, we aren't offering anything for sale.

NO IFs!

I SUPPORT OUR TROOPS IN IRAQ!

OR

NO PROTESTS!

I SUPPORT OUR TROOPS IN IRAQ!

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2005, 08:20:26 PM »

My mother and older sister taught me how to sew. I learned on an old treadle machine. We have four machines at the moment. A Brother embroidery machine, a touch screen electric, an older electric Kenmore with manual stitch settings and a really old Singer electric with a bunch of manual gear type stitch settings. Yeah the machines can be expensive. We got ours on sale at a time when I had the money. I also pick up old sewing machines people are throwing out and refurbish them. Then give those to people that need one.

My wife does the clothing. She is much better at that than I am. I do the quilts, curtains and embroidery. I ocassionally make some clothes but it has to be a very simple pattern like a vest or mens dress ties.

Our daughter-in-law sews now. Our dauther tries but she just doesn't have the knack, she is mentally handicapped and has to much difficulty with the machines. Our boys consider it to unmanly for them.

I didn't see M's post on that. I'll have to see if I can find it.

I visited an Amish settlement. Most of their sewing is done by hand. A few of the more liberal Amish will use a treadle machine.

I'll bet you guys are very well known in your area.

lol .... A little to much so at times. Some try to take advantage of it. I usually take so much of that and offer to teach them how. That usually gets the situation taken care of.

Hmmmm..............if there are Brother sewing machines, I wonder if there are Sister sergers.  Dumb joke! Grin  Do you guys have a serger?  With the amount of sewing you do, you probably have one of those, too.

"M" post.............Women only, june 28th, "sewing clothing"

Remind your boys about "tailors" and all of the male designers.  I don't think it's unmanley at all.  

Did your daughter-in-law already know how to sew before she became part of the family or did you guys teach her?

I'm not surprised to hear that the Amish still do all their sewing by hand..............ouch, my sore fingers.  That has got to be a lot of work and very time consuming.  I cannot imagine the days gone by when the wife made all her family's clothing by hand.  Don't know where she got the time to do that.  It was hard enough back then, let alone sew, too.  Technology has gotten us into a mess but it's been a blessing in ways, too.

How old is your daughter?  Is she severely handicapped?  Does she attend a special school?  You don't have to talk about or answer these questions if you don't want to.  Maybe I shouldn't have even asked.  

Grace and peace,
cris

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2005, 10:09:16 PM »

"M" post.............Women only

Maybe that's the reason I didn't see it.  Wink Cheesy

Sister sergers

I think I'll pass on this one.

No we don't have a serger but my wifes computerized sewing machine also does serging so we don't one.

I told my boys about tailors and chefs. I think it is just an excuse to be lazy in that area because they neither one think that I am unmanly. (at least they better not, I might have to whup up on 'em!)

I don't mind talking about my dauthers situation at all. In fact I am proud of her and her accomplishments. At the age of 18 months to 5 yrs she could not hear. When she did get hearing she could not hear sounds in the manner that most people do. This has prevented her from speaking properly even today.

On top of this she was evaluated at the age of 5 by many pshychologists and other Drs. that labeled her as "retarded". It was said that she would never get beyond the 4th or 5th grade level. One Dr even stated that she appeared to be a Down Syndrome baby. She does not have Down Syndrome but she has a similarity to it in symptoms.

She was born with the umbilical cord wrapped around her neck and had a BM about 2 weeks before birth. This caused her brain not to develope properly and killed off some of her brain due to the toxins.

I did a lot of research and found a dietician that was also the mother of a Down Syndrome child. This woman found that giving the child a special diet helped the child to somewhat overcome some of this. It was primarily a juice of carrots and numerous types of fruits. It seemed to stimulate brain cell growth.

My daughter made it through the 10th grade before her learning level stopped. That is just as far as book learning goes. When it comes to common sense things and doing some things with her hands she is, imo, a genious.

Remember the old Rubics Cube? She solved that within 15 minutes on the first try and numerous times after that with no assistance. She takes better care of her daughter than many I have seen that have a college education in child care. She taught her daughter to read and count to ten. My granddaughter is only two right now. She is an excellant housekeeper, too.

She is 20 yrs old now and I am teaching her how to cook which is a task for her as she has difficulty with measurements. Other than that she has been an excellant cook for many years now.

JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2005, 10:16:34 PM »

I wish I was a chef rather than an engineer...

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2005, 10:45:18 PM »

"M" post.............Women only

Maybe that's the reason I didn't see it.  Wink Cheesy

Sister sergers

I think I'll pass on this one.

No we don't have a serger but my wifes computerized sewing machine also does serging so we don't one.

I told my boys about tailors and chefs. I think it is just an excuse to be lazy in that area because they neither one think that I am unmanly. (at least they better not, I might have to whup up on 'em!)

I don't mind talking about my dauthers situation at all. In fact I am proud of her and her accomplishments. At the age of 18 months to 5 yrs she could not hear. When she did get hearing she could not hear sounds in the manner that most people do. This has prevented her from speaking properly even today.

On top of this she was evaluated at the age of 5 by many pshychologists and other Drs. that labeled her as "retarded". It was said that she would never get beyond the 4th or 5th grade level. One Dr even stated that she appeared to be a Down Syndrome baby. She does not have Down Syndrome but she has a similarity to it in symptoms.

She was born with the umbilical cord wrapped around her neck and had a BM about 2 weeks before birth. This caused her brain not to develope properly and killed off some of her brain due to the toxins.

I did a lot of research and found a dietician that was also the mother of a Down Syndrome child. This woman found that giving the child a special diet helped the child to somewhat overcome some of this. It was primarily a juice of carrots and numerous types of fruits. It seemed to stimulate brain cell growth.

My daughter made it through the 10th grade before her learning level stopped. That is just as far as book learning goes. When it comes to common sense things and doing some things with her hands she is, imo, a genious.

Remember the old Rubics Cube? She solved that within 15 minutes on the first try and numerous times after that with no assistance. She takes better care of her daughter than many I have seen that have a college education in child care. She taught her daughter to read and count to ten. My granddaughter is only two right now. She is an excellant housekeeper, too.

She is 20 yrs old now and I am teaching her how to cook which is a task for her as she has difficulty with measurements. Other than that she has been an excellant cook for many years now.

She sounds like a little sweetheart.  I'm confused.......you said she's been cooking for years, but that you're teaching her how to cook. Huh  I couldn't solve a Rubic's Cube in a year.lol  I'm serious.  Those things drive me nutty. Grin

Also, you are the first person in years that I've heard use the expression "housekeeper".  It used to be a virtuous thing . Wink Grin  I remember my mom and dad talking about so and so being a good housekeeper.  One almost never hears it anymore.  For some reason, women's careers take priority over a clean house.  I do understand that it's just about impossible for most families to "make it" on one salary today, though.  This is really unfortunate, but it's where grandparents can fill the gap, too.  That's you,PR. Wink Smiley  I don't think there's any year that a child doesn't need a mom or grandparent to just "be there."  It shows, I have an old fashioned value system.  Oh my, if I'm not careful I'll start that reminiscing again.  Not going there tonite!

Hey, the "M" post.............I saw it when it was 1 of the 10 most recent. Wink

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2005, 10:53:35 PM »

I wish I was a chef rather than an engineer...

So..........................change jobs. Wink  Just let us know who hired you though. Wink Grin

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2005, 11:23:29 PM »

Cris,

Yes, my daughter has been cooking for years. Things like meats, potatoes and veggies, eggs, etc. She is really good at it if it doesn't require measuring something (cup, tbl, tsp, etc). All that confuses her. Part of the problem is the abbreviations are used in cookbooks but not marked the same on the tools and she can't remember that tbl means tablespoon. So I got a set of measuring cups and spoons for her that I could put the abbreviations on (don't know why I didn't think of it before). Now I am teaching her how to make breads, pies, cakes and cookies all from scratch.

I think she is going to be a better cook than her ole man.

lol ....  I guess my age is showing with the housekeeper comment.  Grin

My wife was a "stay at home mother" as it's referred to now. The only time she worked outside of the home was when I couldn't work. Then it was usually for short periods until I got back on my feet.

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2005, 12:18:08 AM »

Cris,

Yes, my daughter has been cooking for years. Things like meats, potatoes and veggies, eggs, etc. She is really good at it if it doesn't require measuring something (cup, tbl, tsp, etc). All that confuses her. Part of the problem is the abbreviations are used in cookbooks but not marked the same on the tools and she can't remember that tbl means tablespoon. So I got a set of measuring cups and spoons for her that I could put the abbreviations on (don't know why I didn't think of it before). Now I am teaching her how to make breads, pies, cakes and cookies all from scratch.

I think she is going to be a better cook than her ole man.

lol ....  I guess my age is showing with the housekeeper comment.  Grin

My wife was a "stay at home mother" as it's referred to now. The only time she worked outside of the home was when I couldn't work. Then it was usually for short periods until I got back on my feet.

When your daughter learns to cook everything then you and your wife can sit back and let her serve you guys for a little while.  Knowing you PR, you'll NEVER sit back and do nothing, though. Grin

Hey, your idea about the lettering on the utensils is a great one, not just for your daughter, but I bet one whole bunch of people out there would appreciate it.  The consistency in the cookbooks and utensils should have been attended to years ago.  No one thought about it, till you, PR.  Go right ahead, be an entrepreneur.  I think you have a winning idea.

The housekeeper comment...............actually I'm older than you are. Wink  Sh, don't tell anyone.  I think I saw your age posted somewhere way back when.  Knowing that, I was amazed with your knowledge about the old time TV commercials and shows, et al.  I thought to myself, how does he remember all those things?  With some of them, you must have still been kicking the slats out of your crib. Wink  Just goes to show ya, babies are very observant. Grin  

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2005, 12:37:17 AM »

Knowing you PR, you'll NEVER sit back and do nothing, though.

I go as much as I can. At least until my body says it has had enough. These days it doesn't take long for that to happen.

I am a very old 54. I was born in 1951. Many people don't remember to much of their life before the age of 5 or 6. I remember a lot from the time I was 2 yrs old on although my recent memory of what happened say today or yesterday is very questionable.

Some of those commercials and TV shows that may have been out before that I caught as reruns.

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2005, 03:12:59 PM »

Wasn't ignoring ya PR.  I've been distracted for the last several days.

Ref: your memory.  Mine is like yours, also.  People seem amazed that I can remember almost from the time I was born.  I seem to think it's a gift, now.  I used to think everyone remembered as I did but found they didn't.  Never fear about the short term memory PR.  Next month you'll remember what you did yesterday, cause it now will be long term memory Wink Grin.  That never ceases to amaze me.  When I've misplaced something it's usually because I've had other things on my mind when I did it............not a good thing.  I have found though, if it's really important that I remember where I put something, I just sit down and ask God where it is.  He does come through, always!

Grace and peace,
cris

John 3:16

My Heavenly Father Is Alive Today

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2005, 11:59:22 PM »

I have found though, if it's really important that I remember where I put something, I just sit down and ask God where it is.  He does come through, always!

Grace and peace,
cris

it works for me 2 cris like when i lost my car keys or cell phone lol

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the