Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:18:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286807 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Prayer
| |-+  Prayer Requests (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Prayer for sevreal things
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Prayer for sevreal things  (Read 3705 times)
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2003, 08:47:51 AM »

Um, I think WH was suggesting games on another thread--but Uno sounds a little like Risk, 'cept Uno not very cerebral, but has the built-in function of deflating your world conquest automatically--just when victory is within sight, according to the randomness of the cards.  Players variously begin to gloat then, all of a sudden, rack and ruin.  It's very mercurial, and you're constantly learning, or at least me, of what's really inside of me.  It's not a very pretty sight--"it's what comes out of a man that defiles a man".  You're tempted to gloat, b/c of your hand, then you draw a card that changes everything.  But I'm guessing that those who play these kinds of games probably do better in business, than those who don't, b/c they're more aware of their own weaknesses?

Tibby:But I disagree, never play Risk, or Chess, or Go, with a level-headed person, because they are the ones who win

S'y:  LOL.  That's pretty funny, Tibby.  A lot of truth there.

WH: Speaking of games with personality, d-o-o-o-o-on't play Risk with any of your good friends unless you know that they are very calm, level-headed people. I don't know what it is about that game, but it really really brings out the worst in just about everyone I've ever played it with.

Yep, my dad would never enter into our game playing in the family or with guests.  I never learned why.  But I'm guessing this is the reason.  But I think I played Risk only once as a kid; I seem to remember really liking it. Utoh.

I've even wondered about this among sports-playing Christians, where winning is the real or only object.  Does it enhance, or sour potential relationships?  If winning isn't the object, how do you keep it from becoming that anyway.    But I guess that's the point--sportsmanship, and how to respect the other person while still winning(or losing).

Whoa, a Pandora's Box.

But games seem a good way to get to know other people(or learn to avoid them--hehe)
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2003, 11:12:23 AM »

I've even wondered about this among sports-playing Christians, where winning is the real or only object.  Does it enhance, or sour potential relationships?  If winning isn't the object, how do you keep it from becoming that anyway.    But I guess that's the point--sportsmanship, and how to respect the other person while still winning(or losing).

Good question. I think they need to understand the Zen and Art of the Sport they partake in, they need to understand a holistic approach to it all. If God will help win battles he can help win games. All sports majority apply to life. How need Confucius, you learn life lessons from your sport if you let it teach you. Look at the preacher who play a sport, and LOVE that sport with all their heart, they will bring up points, and the example will be with that sport. For true Athletes, the Winning is in end result. Many not Athletic people forget this, because they don’t train as hard, but the Jocks know, The Journey to get there is many times more trying then the test it self. And, if you ask many Jocks, a lot of them will say they enjoy the training more!

And your right, sportsmanship, Bushido, Chivalry, whatever name you give you code of honor, you learn it in sports. You learn to trust your team, trust you boys.  There is an unwritten code of honor many Athletes uphold. It is a shame that code doesn’t last to the pro’s many times... Angry

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2003, 12:12:04 PM »

Hm. Good question. My guess is that winning is half the fun; the line between healthy competition and the murky waters is in the way we view the opponents. It's how we view loss. It's like the tennis sisters, Serena and Venus. They compete, but they love each other dearly. The winning is great fun and part of the competition, but their relationship is the thing they want most, and from a Christian standpoint, winning is something we can want and even love, because it means we did well at the game. It's when the game starts crossing that vague line to becoming too important that it starts getting a little sticky. And a lot of people struggle with it. Lots. I think that's why Risk can become so wild! At our Risk party we actually had to stop midgame and the friend who owned the particular board we were using that night literally threw the game in the trash because tempers were flying out of control. Of course, a lot of the people there that night weren't Christians, so there were cuss words flying all over, the couples turning against their beloved and calling them terrible names...I mean this was out of control. People were seriously irate. It wasn't about competition anymore, and I think that's where it went off the deep end. I think there came a point where it was more about control; maybe that's why. Because you have to remember, these were couples who were in love with each other, calling each other the most vile names you could imagine. I doubt you've ever seen that before, hopefully.

But there can be an affectionate competition, too, where love is the motive for playing together, and sometimes we win, sometimes we don't. But we get to have fun together. And we pretty much picked the kinds of games that brought that out in each other after that. I still think Risk is a very fun game, but we really do have to pick and choose the right frends to play it with. And I haven't played it in a long time. If I had the chance, I don't know if I would or not. I do love it, but it doesn't make it easy for everyone to edify each other. That's another option-rooting for each other, opponent or not. But in a team situation, I'm not sure if this is possible. With bowling it is, and we've had some good experiences with that, but with a team with a lot of players, rooting for the other team isn't always perceived in the best light! LOL!

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2003, 08:52:15 PM »

Hmm, I missed this, Tibby, Whitehorse.

I will have to come back to this....
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2003, 08:01:38 AM »

Hmmm, we could have a whole separate thread on this one...

Yep, Whitehorse, the game has to be tailored to the situation.  But like in your case, from experience you better know in a given situation what a preferred game might be.

It seems a good way for people to get to know each other--and perhaps themselves, better.  Games do teach a lot about our weaknesses, ambitions, ideas about each other.

Which to my mind comes back to confidence.  Sports instill confidence.  Same with board or parlor games, perhaps.  But they all only instill it on a worldly basis.  How to function with others socially, or in the business world??

But as far as spiritually, I wonder if games are really of any importance.

But of course, they are only just that, "games".   They can be refreshing.  A nice break from "reality".

Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2003, 06:39:41 PM »

I think games are important because they build fellowship and edification. But no one wants to play Pente with me anymore, heehee!  Angry

teddybear
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2003, 07:33:33 AM »

Lord I ask that you bless Tibby,and give him the strength to endure.He is under a heavy burden,and we know you are able to work a miracle in his life.Let him look to you for guideance,and direction in his,and I will give you all the praise,and glory,in Jesus name Amen.

God Bless.
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2003, 11:41:16 AM »

Thank you  Grin

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the