Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:11:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286776 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  "The Bible is not the inspired and inerrant word of God"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Bible is not the inspired and inerrant word of God"  (Read 23277 times)
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: July 21, 2005, 08:58:08 AM »

Hi Kevin, First of all, what the KJB and several other translations say about "God is no respector or persons" is NOT A LIE.  The LIE is found in such versions as the NIV, NKJV, NASB where they say "God does not take away life" - THAT is the lie.  It is your bogus bibles that have the lie, not the KJB.

Exactly Brother!  A lie generated by Joab...not the NIV/ESV/whateverelseV translators.  The reading is consistent.  The content is accurately translated.  The lie was put there by Joab to deceive David, not the readers of the text.  The readers are expected to deferentiate between the two.

So, which reading is correct?  Both cannot equally be the inspired word of God at the same time.

Why not?

Kevin, by your own admission the world is under God's control, not Satan's.  Yet the NIV teaches the whole world is under the control of the Evil One.  This is a false doctrine.

You lack greatly in your escatalogical understanding.  Read up on Revelations.  Satan rules this world because God allows him too, and yet, still calls him in to give an account of his activities (ref. Job).

Sure, Satan is called "the god of this world", but that does not mean he is in control of it.  It means that the spiritual power behind all world religions other than the O.T. and N.T. revelation is Satan.  See 1 Cor. 10:20 "the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God".

Devil made me do it theology?

By your own admission the NIV is theologically wrong, and it is.  Just one lie makes a witness a false witness.  Face the facts.

Brother?  Where did I admit this?  And I have yet to see facts given by any KJV only supporter to show me otherwise.  Please, I know this will read as angry and antagonistic, but trust me, I'm not typing/thinking that way.  I do speak in love Brother.   Smiley

His,

Kevin

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
brandplucked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: July 21, 2005, 04:57:05 PM »

Kevin, by your own admission the world is under God's control, not Satan's.  Yet the NIV teaches the whole world is under the control of the Evil One.  This is a false doctrine.

You lack greatly in your escatalogical understanding.  Read up on Revelations.  Satan rules this world because God allows him too, and yet, still calls him in to give an account of his activities (ref. Job).

Sure, Satan is called "the god of this world", but that does not mean he is in control of it.  It means that the spiritual power behind all world religions other than the O.T. and N.T. revelation is Satan.  See 1 Cor. 10:20 "the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God".

Devil made me do it theology?

By your own admission the NIV is theologically wrong, and it is.  Just one lie makes a witness a false witness.  Face the facts.

Hi Kevin, your example of Job does NOT teach that Satan is the ruler of this world, or in control.  It teaches the opposite. God is the controlling Ruler, and Satan can only do what God allows him to do.

God or Satan?

Who is in control of the world? Is it God or Satan? Jesus Christ said: "All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth." Mattthew 28:18. The Lord's prayer in Matthew 6:13 ends with :"For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory for ever, Amen." This phrase is in brackets in the NASB and removed in the NIV, RSV and ESV. Jesus either said it or he didn't; they can't all be right.

In Ephesians 1:20-22 it is said of Christ that God "raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places, far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come; and hath put all things under his feet."

Daniel 4:17,25,26 tell us three times that "the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever he will." 2 Chronicles 20:6 affirms: "O LORD God of our fathers, art not thou God in heaven? and rulest not thou over all kingdoms of the heathen? and in thine hand is there not power and might, so that none is able to withstand thee?"

God is the sovereign ruler and controller of this world, as well as the entire universe. There is only one King, and Satan is not the king, the controller, or the ruler of this world - at least according to the true Holy Bible - the King James Bible of 1611 - which is pure in all its precepts and true in all its doctrines. However such is not the case with a multitude of inferior bible versions on the market today.

Satan is a liar from the beginning. In Luke 4:6, when the devil tempted the Lord Jesus Christ in the wilderness, Satan told Jesus that all the kingdoms of the world were his and that he gave them to whomsoever he would. He lied. He is a liar and the father of it - John 8:44. Satan's statement directly contradicts Daniel 4:17 which says "the most High ruleth in the kingdom of men, and giveth it to whomsoever He will." But the NIV, NAS, ESV and NKJV have bought Satan's lie and are passing it off onto God's children.

All Greek texts read the same in 1 John 5:19, so it is not a textual variation, but a simple matter of sound and consistent doctrine as opposed to a lie. The Greek texts read: "oidamen oti ek tou qeou esmen kai o kosmoV oloV en tw ponhrw keitai".

In I John 5:19 the King James Bible along with the Tyndale 1525, Bishop's Bible 1568, the Geneva Bible 1599, Young's, the Spanish Reina Valera of 1602, and 1909 (y todo el mundo está puesto en maldad), Lamsa's translation of the Pegotcha2ta, Webster's 1833 translation, the Douay-Rheims 1950, the KJV 21st Century version, Green's literal translation and Green's Modern KJV, and the Third Millenium Bible all say: "And we know that we are of God, and THE WHOLE WORLD LIETH IN WICKEDNESS."

Wycliffe's Bible says: " We witen, that we ben of God, and al the world is set in yuel." Or the modernized version would be: "We know that we be of God and all the world is set in evil."

Miles Coverdale's 1535 translation says: "We know that we are of God, and the whole world is set altogether in wickedness."

Many commentators who are usually sound in their doctrine become very confused in their thinking when they try to explain this passage, yet the meaning as it stands in the true Holy Bible is quite clear. We live in a fallen world; it lies in sin and wickedness, just as the text says. But God is still in control and ruling over all His creation. "He worketh all things after the counsel of his own will" Ephesians 1:11. Even though it may appear that wickedness is winning, the eye of faith sees his sovereignty and rejoices in this confidence.

However, believe it or not, many new versions pervert the truth of God's sovereign rule and would have us believe that Satan is the ruler of this world and is in control. In fact, they come right out and say it in these exact words.

The NIV says: "The whole world is UNDER THE CONTROL OF THE EVIL ONE."

Before you rush to your school boy Greek to defend this obvious lie, check out any of your own preferred bible versions and notice how they frequently translate nouns that have the definite article. See for instance Romans 12:9 in the NIV, NKJV, NASB, or the NASB in Matthew 5:37 and 6:13.

NASB " the whole world lies in the power of the evil one."

Today's English Version "the whole world is under the rule of the Evil One."

ESV (English Standard Version) "the whole world lies in the power of the evil one."

Living Bible 1981 "the world around us is under Satan's power and control."

ISV (International Standard Version) "the whole world lies under the control of the evil one."

The NKJV, and the Holman Christian Standard Bible try to strike a medium with : " the whole world lies under the sway of the wicked one" but the NKJV as well as the NASB are also wrong when three times they refer to Satan as the "ruler of this world" in John 12:31; 14:30, and 16:11. Satan is NOT the ruler of this world. He is the spiritual "prince of this world", as the KJB, RV, ASV, Tyndale, Geneva, and even the NIV correctly say, but there are also other spiritual "princes" or beings working among the nations, and all of them are under the control of God and not Satan.

Daniel chapter 10 reveals that there are spiritual "princes" of Persia and of Grecia, and the angel Michael is one of the chief princes of the nation of Israel. These are members of the spiritual principalities and powers in the heavenly places, Satan being the "prince of the power of the air" Ehpesians 2:2, but he is not, as the NKJV and the NASB teach, the RULER of this world.

I have asked people who use the NIV or any of these modern versions a simple question. Who is in control of this world, God or Satan? I usually get the response that God is in control of this world. Then I show them what the NIV, NASB, and NKJV say in 1 John 5:19, or in John 12:31; 14:30 and 16:11. Usually they are a bit shocked and begin to doubt the reliability of these versions (as well they should). But unfortunately what I have most often found to be the case is that after a short while they then try to defend this obvious error by a series of silly explanations.

It is a very simple question. Does the King James Bible teach that Satan is the ruler of this world, and that the whole world is under the control of the Evil One? Answer: NO

Do the NKJV, NASB, NIV, ESV teach that Satan is the ruler of this world and that the whole world is under his control? Answer: YES.

Will Kinney
PeterAV
« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2005, 12:44:08 PM »

Daniel chapter 10 reveals that there are spiritual "princes" of Persia and of Grecia, and the angel Michael is one of the chief princes of the nation of Israel. These are members of the spiritual principalities and powers in the heavenly places, Satan being the "prince of the power of the air" Ehpesians 2:2, but he is not, as the NKJV and the NASB teach, the RULER of this world.

I have asked people who use the NIV or any of these modern versions a simple question. Who is in control of this world, God or Satan? I usually get the response that God is in control of this world. Then I show them what the NIV, NASB, and NKJV say in 1 John 5:19, or in John 12:31; 14:30 and 16:11. Usually they are a bit shocked and begin to doubt the reliability of these versions (as well they should). But unfortunately what I have most often found to be the case is that after a short while they then try to defend this obvious error by a series of silly explanations.

It is a very simple question. Does the King James Bible teach that Satan is the ruler of this world, and that the whole world is under the control of the Evil One? Answer: NO

Do the NKJV, NASB, NIV, ESV teach that Satan is the ruler of this world and that the whole world is under his control? Answer: YES.
Will Kinney  

Yes,you are very right,Will.The direction of the modern versions are leading the church to believe lies and hold certain false doctrines.

The NIV,NASB,NKJV,ESV,et.al are all in the same boat.
They use corrupted manuscripts.
The result?
They become corrupted translations.
They are going in the wrong direction.

There must be the Standard.
There is!
The Holy Bible;known as the AV 1611.KJV

Relentless for him,
PeterAV
John17:17
brandplucked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: July 26, 2005, 04:01:44 PM »

Hi Kevin, First of all, what the KJB and several other translations say about "God is no respector or persons" is NOT A LIE.  The LIE is found in such versions as the NIV, NKJV, NASB where they say "God does not take away life" - THAT is the lie.  It is your bogus bibles that have the lie, not the KJB.

Kevin says:
''Exactly Brother!  A lie generated by Joab...not the NIV/ESV/whateverelseV translators.  The reading is consistent.  The content is accurately translated.  The lie was put there by Joab to deceive David, not the readers of the text.  The readers are expected to deferentiate between the two."

Kevin, the two different readings "neither doth God respect any person" (KJB and many others) versus the NKJV, NIV, NASB reading of "neither does God take away life" are completely contradictory in meaning.  The NKJV, NIV, NASB reading is a lie, but you say it was a lie put in the mouth of the woman by Joab.  However, David saw the message of the woman as being good advice on how he should behave toward his son.

The KJB reading is the truth.  If we accept your view that the NKJV, NIV, NASB reading is the correct one, then we have a problem.  David is then believing an out and out lie which is against all Scripture.  God does take away life.  You position would have David following the advice of a woman who is telling a huge whopper of a lie and David couldn't tell the difference between the lie and the truth.

Quote:
So, which reading is correct?  Both cannot equally be the inspired word of God at the same time.

Kevin:  Why not?

Simply because they cannot both be the inspired words of God at the same time, because they are totally opposite in the meaning of what she said.

Here it is in more detail.

2 Samuel 14:14 - Does God take away life or not? A Theological error in the NKJV, NIV, NASB, Holman Standard versions.

Proverbs 14:5 tells us: "A faithful witness will not lie: but a false witness will utter lies."

There are many lies found in the new bible versions and it is the accumulation of such lies that reveal them to be false witnesses to the whole truth of God. One such lie is found in 2 Samuel 14:14.

The context is when Absalom had slain Amnon because he raped his sister Tamar. Absalom fled to Geshur and was there for three years, yet the soul of king David longed for his son Absalom. Joab decides to put words in the mouth of a wise woman from Tekoah and he sends her to speak to the king.

In the course of their conversation the woman finally tells king David in 2 Samuel 14: 13 -14: "the king doth speak this thing as one which is faulty, in that the king doth not fetch home again his banished. For we must needs die, and are as water spilt on the ground, which cannot be gathered up again; NEITHER DOTH GOD RESPECT ANY PERSON: yet doth he devise means, that his banished be not expelled from him."

The meaning is pretty straightforward. We all must die and God does not respect any person or show partiality to one more than another in this regard. John Wesley briefly comments: "Respect - So far as to exempt him from this common law of dying."

Other Bible versions that read as the King James Bible are the Geneva Bible of 1599, the Jewish Publication Society of America's 1917 translation, Young's "literal" translation, Daniel Webster's 1833 translation, the Spanish Sagradas Escrituras, the KJV 21st Century version and the Third Millenium Bible.

The Bishops' Bible of 1568, and the Geneva Bible of 1599 say: "For we must needes dye, and we are as water spilt on the ground, which cannot be gathered vp againe: NEITHER DOTH GOD SPARE ANY PERSON, yet doeth he appoynt meanes, not to cast out from him, him that is expelled."

However when we get to the New KJV, RSV, ESV, Holman Standard, NIV, The Message, Green's MKJV, and the NASB instead of "neither doth God respect any person" they read "YET GOD DOES NOT TAKE AWAY LIFE". This is a lie and a contradiction.

Just two chapters before this event we read of the child born to David, in his adulterous affair with Bathseba, that "the LORD struck the child, and it was very sick" and on the seventh day it died. 2 Samuel 12:15. In Deuteronomy 32:39 God Himself says: "I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand." In Genesis 38:7 and 10 we read of two wicked sons of Judah, Er and Onan "and the LORD SLEW him", and "wherefore he slew him also." 1 Samuel 2:6 tells us: "The LORD killeth, and maketh alive: he bringeth down to the grave, and bringeth up." And 2 Samuel 6:7 says: "And the anger of the LORD was kindled against Uzzah. and God smote him there for his error: and there he died by the ark of God."

In the New Testament the Lord Jesus Christ says in Luke 12:5 "But I will forwarn you whom ye shall fear: Fear him, which after he hath killed hath power to cast into hell; yea, I say unto you, Fear him."

God obviously does take away life, and the NKJV, NIV and NASB are all in error here in 2 Samuel 14:14 where they say that He doesn't take away life.

The same Hebrew words used in 2 Samuel 14: 14 are also translated as "not RESPECT PERSONS" in other places in the NKJV, NIV and NASB. The word RESPECT is # 5375 nah-sah, and has many meanings such as "to accept, to respect, to regard, to take up, take, lift up, carry away, to pardon, to set up and to bear."

PERSONS is # 5315 nephesh and the NASB itself has translated this word as "persons" some 90 times. It also can mean spirit, soul, life, ghost, heart, breath, and himself or herself. Both words have multiple meanings and the context and sound theology must determine how they are to be translated correctly.

The NKJV has translated this same verb as "to respect" in Lamentations 4:16 "they do not respect the priests" and as "you shall not be partial to the poor" in Leviticus 19:15.

Likewise the NASB and NIV have translated the verb as "respect, accept and show partiality" many times. The NASB has "the LORD accepted Job" in Job 42:8, and in 2 Kings 5:1 says that "Naaman was a great man with his master and highly RESPECTED." The NIV has "without RESPECT for the old" Deut. 28:50 and in 2 Kings 3:14 "If I did not HAVE RESPECT for the presence of Jehoshaphat I would not look at you."

At least eight times the NIV, NKJV and NASB translate this verb as "to show partiality". For example, in Deuteronomy 10:17 the KJB, the ASV, Young's, Darby and the Jewish translations say: "For the LORD your God is God of gods, and Lord of lords, a great God, a mighty and a terrible, WHICH REGARDETH NOT PERSONS, nor taketh reward." Here the NIV, NKJV and NASB say: "God..who SHOWS NO PARTIALITY."

So it is not a case of the Hebrew not being able to carry the meaning as found in the King James Bible and all the others, but the modern bible translators were blinded to an obvious truth of Scripture - "Neither doth God respect any person". God does indeed take away life.

Commentators are not inspired. Lexicons are not inspired. And any bible version that contains a falshood is not inspired. Only the true Holy Bible providentially given to us by God Almighty is the inspired, inerrant word of God. I firmly believe all the true words of God are found in the King James Bible, and not the others.

I thought it would be instructive to show just how the Bible Babel is going in regards to other translations of this phrase "neither doth God respect persons".

The New English Bible: "God WILL SPARE THE MAN WHO DOES NOT SET HIMSELF TO KEEP THE LAWLESS in banishment."

Today's English Version, and the Good News Translation 1992: "We will all die; we are like water spilled on the ground, which can't be gathered again. Even God DOES NOT BRING THE DEAD BACK TO LIFE". (He doesn't?)

The Greek Septuagint is little help here to the modern versionists. It says: kai leepsetai ho theos psuxen - "God receives a soul"

The New Jerusalem bible: "NOR DOES GOD RAISE UP A CORPSE".

New Living Bible: "that is why God TRIES TO BRING US BACK when we have been separated from him."

God's Word translation: "But DOESN'T GOD FORGIVE A PERSON?"

Bible in Basic English: "God WILL NOT TAKE AWAY THE LIFE OF THE MAN WHOSE PURPOSE IS THAT THAT HE WHO HAS BEEN SENT AWAY MAY NOT BE COMPLETELY CUT OFF FROM HIM." - say what?

Easy To Read Version 2001 - " No person can gather this water back from the ground. YOU KNOW GOD FORGIVES PEOPLE. God made plans for people who are forced to run away for safety--God doesn't force them to run away from him!"

There you have it. All of these are modern "bibles" written by scholarly men who have gone to seminary and have given us the various fruits of their labours.

I hope this clears up everything for you. Remember the famous words of James White "It is good to have a variety of translations so you can get a better understanding of what it says."

Will Kinney

brandplucked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: July 26, 2005, 04:05:51 PM »

The direction of the modern versions are leading the church to believe lies and hold certain false doctrines.

The NIV,NASB,NKJV,ESV,et.al are all in the same boat.
They use corrupted manuscripts.
The result?
They become corrupted translations.
They are going in the wrong direction.

There must be the Standard.
There is!
The Holy Bible;known as the AV 1611.KJV

Relentless for him,
PeterAV
John17:17

Hi Peter, thanks for your comments and your interest in this vital topic.  None of modern version proponents believe The Bible IS the inerrant words of God.  This is obvious.  It is somewhat amazing to me that more Christians don't see what is happening in the church - the falling away from the faith.

In and by His grace alone,

Will Kinney
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2005, 10:42:25 AM »

Is the Bible the Inspired Word of God?
By Jason Carlson and Ron Carlson

During a question and answer session at a recent speaking engagement, a university student asked me, “Why do you believe that the Bible is the inspired word of God?”  Now this is a very interesting question; and probably one of the most important questions any Christian could ask themselves.  What is so special, so unique about the Bible that Christians believe it is literally the inspired word of God?

In answering this student’s question, I encouraged him to consider the following facts about the Bible:

First, the Bible is not just one single book.  This is a more common misconception than many people realize, especially with people who do not come from a Judeo-Christian background.  Rather than being a single book, the Bible is actually a collection of 66 books, which is called the canon of scriptures.  These 66 books contain a variety of genres: history, poetry, prophecy, wisdom literature, letters, and apocalyptic just to name a few.  

Second, these 66 books were written by 40 different authors.  These authors came from a variety of backgrounds: shepherds, fishermen, doctors, kings, prophets, and others.  And most of these authors never knew one another personally.  

Third, these 66 books were written over a period of 1500 years.  Yet again, this is another reminder that many of these authors never knew or collaborated with one another in writing these books.

Fourth, the 66 books of the Bible were written in 3 different languages.  In the Bible we have books that were written in the ancient languages of Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic; a reflection of the historical and cultural circumstances in which each of these books were written.

And finally, these 66 books were written on 3 different continents: Africa, Asia, and Europe.  Once again, this is a testament to the varied historical and cultural circumstances of God’s people.

Think about the above realities: 66 books, written by 40 different authors, over 1500 years, in 3 different languages, on 3 different continents.  What’s more, this collection of books shares a common storyline- the creation, fall, and redemption of God’s people; a common theme- God’s universal love for all of humanity; and a common message- salvation is available to all who repent of their sins and commit to following God with all of their heart, soul, mind and strength. In addition to sharing these commonalities, these 66 books contain no historical errors or contradictions.  God’s word truly is an amazing collection of writings!  

After I had shared the above facts with this student, I offered him the following challenge: I said to him, “If you do not believe that the Bible is the inspired word of God, if you do not believe that the Bible is of a supernatural origin, than I challenge you to a test.”  I said to the student, “I challenge you to go to any library in the world, you can choose any library you like, and find 66 books which match the characteristics of the 66 books in the Bible.  You must choose 66 books, written by 40 different authors, over 1500 years, in 3 different languages, written on 3 different continents.  However, they must share a common storyline, a common theme, and a common message, with no historical errors or contradictions.”  I went on to say, “If you can produce such a collection of books, I will admit that the Bible is not the inspired word of God.”  The student’s reply was almost instantaneous, he emphatically stated, “But that’s impossible!”  

“But that’s impossible!”  It truly is impossible, for any collection of human writings.  However, the Bible passes this test.  The Bible contains 66 books, written by 40 different authors, over 1500 years, in 3 different languages, on 3 different continents, with no historical errors or contradictions.  The entire Bible, from Genesis to Revelation, bears the mark of Divine inspiration.

The next time you encounter someone who asks you why you believe the Bible is the inspired word of God, try sharing this challenge with them.  Better yet, don’t wait until you’re asked, just go ahead and share this challenge with a friend today.  You don’t even have to mention the Bible up front, just ask them if they think it would be realistic to assemble such a collection of books.  After they say, “But that’s impossible!” you’ve got a ready-made opportunity for sharing the truth of God’s word with somebody!

Distributed by www.ChristianWorldviewNetwork.com

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
brandplucked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2005, 03:48:46 PM »

Hi Judge not.  An interesting article but it is way too general.  It never gets down to specific verses, names, numbers nor does it mention anything about the literally thousands of words and anywhere from 15 to 40 entire verses found in some Bible versions but not in others.

Why do you suppose that the recent polls show 85% of the seminarians and future pastors at America's largest evangelical seminary openly admit that they do not believe in the inerrancy of Scripture?

I have at least 100 examples I could show you, but for the moment I will limit it to just one such example.  Can you tell us which of these various "inspired and inerrant" bible versions is right and which ones have an error?

In 1 Samuel 6:19 the King James Bible reads: “And he smote the men of Bethshemesh, because they had looked into the ark of the LORD, even he smote of the people fifty thousand and threescore and ten men: and the people lamented, because the LORD had smitten many of the people with a great slaughter.”

The Bible versions that read 50,070 are the King James Bible, Wycliffe 1395, Coverdale 1535, Bishop's Bible 1568, the Geneva Bible of 1599, the Italian Diodati 1602, Webster's 1833, the Revised Version 1881, American Standard Version 1901, the Greek Septuagint, the Spanish Reina Valera of 1909 and 1960, both the 1917 and 1936 Hebrew-English translations from the Masoretic text, the New American Standard Version 1960 -1995, modern Italian, the Modern Greek bible, the Portuguese, French and Rumanian bibles, the World English Bible, the modern Hebrew Names Version, as well as the Third Millenium Bible and the 21st Century KJV. These versions translate what the preserved Hebrew texts actually read.

However the NIV, RSV, ESV tell us in 1 Samuel 6:19 "But God struck down some of the men of Beth Shemesh, putting SEVENTY of them to death, because they had looked into the ark of the LORD.” These versions completely omit the number 50,000.

The NIV, RSV, ESV just made this number up! The ESV footnote tells us the Hebrew reads "of the people seventy men, fifty thousand men."

But wait. It gets better. Now the new Holman Christian Standard of 2003 has come out and it reads differently than any other version out there. It says: "He struck down 70 men OUT OF 50,000 men."

This time the Syriac reads: "The Lord smote 5,070 men", while the LXX has the correct number of 50,070.

You have to admit, there is a slight difference between 50,070 men slain, or 70 men, or 5,070 men, or "70 men out of 50,000". So, which one is right?

For a more detailed study of this passage see my article at

http://www.geocities.com/gotcha104/50070.html

Will Kinney
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 30, 2005, 11:50:05 PM »

KJV 100% Pure = Nonsense

KJV Only = Nonsense

If you really want to believe all of the nonsense taught by the KJV Only-ists, here's the results:

1-  The Holy Bible could not have existed before 1611 because that's when the KJV was first published. Do you really think that God allowed the world to go without a Holy Bible for so many years? In fact, the Holy Bible would not exist without the KJV according to the KJV Only-ists. THE KJV ONLY-ISTS CLAIMS OF SOMETHING OBVIOUSLY FALSE IS DESTRUCTIVE TO GOD'S WORK!

2- If the KJV was perfect, it would have been right the first time, YET there were countless revisions. THE KJV ONLY-ISTS CLAIMS OF SOMETHING OBVIOUSLY FALSE IS DESTRUCTIVE TO GOD'S WORK!

3- If the translators of the KJV were inspired, where is the original copy of the KJV so we can compare our version to it?  It doesn't exist, but this is not material since it was so full of errors. THE KJV ONLY-ISTS CLAIMS OF SOMETHING OBVIOUSLY FALSE IS DESTRUCTIVE TO GOD'S WORK!

4- KJV Only-ists claim all others translations are corrupt and many even claim that all other translations are works of the devil. This is ridiculous considering that the KJV was compiled primarily from translations they now call corrupt. THE KJV ONLY-ISTS CLAIMS OF SOMETHING OBVIOUSLY FALSE IS DESTRUCTIVE TO GOD'S WORK!

5- KJV Only-ists claim that the KJV is perfect and pure, even though it had to be revised many times. Any beginner in the language study of Hebrew and Greek knows that it is impossible to have a perfect translation from Hebrew and Greek. This absolute fact is well known to ALL who study the deeper things of God's Word, so they obviously use Hebrew and Greek word studies. THE KJV ONLY-ISTS CLAIMS OF SOMETHING OBVIOUSLY FALSE IS DESTRUCTIVE TO GOD'S WORK!

6- The devil loves it when a group of people make claims that God's Word is corrupt and works of the devil. THE KJV ONLY-ISTS CLAIMS OF SOMETHING OBVIOUSLY FALSE IS DESTRUCTIVE TO GOD'S WORK!

7- The devil loves it when Christians spend so much time arguing about a Bible translation that they don't have the time, energy, or desire to do the real work of GOD. The real work of GOD is obviously not tearing down the books and materials that GOD uses for HIS work. AND, regardless of intentions, making claims that are obviously false harms the work of GOD. THE KJV ONLY-ISTS CLAIMS OF SOMETHING OBVIOUSLY FALSE IS DESTRUCTIVE TO GOD'S WORK!

8- The Apostle Paul and hosts of other preachers didn't have the KJV for about 1600 years, nor did they need it, and they studied and taught the Word of GOD. The same would be true for modern pastors, with or without the KJV. THE KJV ONLY-ISTS CLAIMS OF SOMETHING OBVIOUSLY FALSE IS DESTRUCTIVE TO GOD'S WORK!

In conclusion:  The KJV is ONLY a translation and that's all it's ever been. It's rated good to excellent by the majority of Bible scholars, but NO Bible scholar will ever claim that the KJV is 100% perfect and pure. In fact, no Bible scholar would ever make any of the ridiculous claims of the KJV Only-ists. Bible scholars will always use Hebrew and Greek for obvious reasons.  This bears repeating one more time, so I will:

THE KJV ONLY-ISTS CLAIMS OF SOMETHING OBVIOUSLY FALSE IS DESTRUCTIVE TO GOD'S WORK!

(First Revision for errors. If there are other errors, I want the same number of attempts and years that the KJV translators had.)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2005, 12:19:22 AM by blackeyedpeas » Logged

Shammu
Global Moderator
Gold Member

B(asic) I(nstructions) B(efore) L(eaving) E(arth)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: July 31, 2005, 02:41:27 AM »

With all the tempers flying

[size=10]Topic is Locked.[/size]

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the