Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:17:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286775 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  Witnessing (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Have You Ever Heard Corn Grow?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Have You Ever Heard Corn Grow?  (Read 5619 times)
JudgeNot
Gold Member

Jesus, remember me... Luke 23:42

View Profile WWW
« on: July 11, 2005, 10:18:22 PM »

When I was a kid, the first time I ever heard someone talking about “hearing the corn grow”, I thought those Texas Panhandle farmers were just romanticizing the truth.  But after I took the time to hear, I realized it is an actual occurrence verifiable by anyone willing to take the time to listen.  (Sorta like the Word.)

When corn stalks are about knee high, they grow amazingly fast – between 2 and 4 inches a day (or more!).  For anyone who has an opportunity to walk to the middle of a corn field after a good watering, it’s a real ‘squeak-fest’.  Each time a breeze rustles and loosens the stalks, they squeak upward.  On a quiet day with mild gusts, the field comes alive with the sound of growth.  It can sometimes sound like a flock of wild geese honking their way overhead, or sometimes like hounds hot on a coon’s trail.  

I’ve noticed Christians grow very similarly.  When the seed of the Spirit is planted in a soul it takes time to germinate; the early stalks are tender and vulnerable – timid in their development.  But as the spirit takes hold, they sprout upward in a noisy flourish of gratitude toward God and with an insatiable appetite to share Him (the Truth) with others.  

Christians grow as noisily as corn.   Smiley
Dumb but true.   Grin
Just an observation I thought I’d share with the board; for whatever reason… trivia can be a tool to steer some towards the Lord…  Smiley

God bless; I Love you all,
JN

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 11:00:33 PM »

Amen, JN.

Coming from the middle of corn country I have heard corn grow. I never thought of the relationship there to Christians growing. An excellant observation.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 09:17:21 PM »

When you're busy loving (growing in) the Lord you're going to 'squeak' about it.  You just can't help it!
 Grin

Covering your tracks is futile; God knows where you're going and where you've been.
JPD
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 09:24:36 PM »

Oh yeah JN, I forgot about that corn post of yours.  That was a wonderful analogy. I loved it.  Thank you for posting it.  You can be right proud of yourself! Wink

« Last Edit: July 12, 2005, 11:16:08 PM by cris » Logged
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 09:29:51 PM »

Actually, I never heard corn grow.  This is the first time I've heard about it.  I must be a city person.  I have heard that beans whistle after they're eaten though.  Grin  I hope I don't get banned for saying that.

Reba
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 10:11:16 PM »

Actually, I never heard corn grow.  This is the first time I've heard about it.  I must be a city person.  I have heard that beans whistle after they're eaten though.  Grin  I hope I don't get banned for saying that.

Cris must be a guy or at least a husband    Tongue
JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 10:32:39 PM »

Cris must be a guy or at least a husband  
[/size]
Hey - I ain't touchin' that with a 110' pole...
Uh-uh.  Nope.  Ain't touchin' that....
 Cheesy

JPD
JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 10:38:45 PM »

Oh yeah JN, I forgot about that corn post of yours.  You can be right proud of yourself!
Uhg.  Embarrassed
I guess "embarassed", now that you put it in that context, would be a better description of how I feel about the post...

JPD
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2005, 11:21:40 PM »

Oh yeah JN, I forgot about that corn post of yours.  You can be right proud of yourself!
Uhg.  Embarrassed
I guess "embarassed", now that you put it in that context, would be a better description of how I feel about the post...

YOU put it in that context.  I didn't.  You highlighted only a part of what I said.  So now, there isn't anything to be embarassed about.

I could not figure out what was going on until I reread the posts.  Better stop that stuff JN. Grin  Yeah, I know you're probably laughing you silly head off.

JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 12:34:03 AM »

Uh-oh; it’s time to ‘spin’ this…  Lips Sealed

God gave each soul an individual gift.  If you want to argue that point, talk to my agent – He is never farther than a prayer away.    Grin (OH! COOL!  We have the same agent!)  Grin

I’ve always claimed that ‘a sense of humor’ (wholesome humor) is a gift from the Lord.  Personally, it eases my tensions and helps me reach out in a way I am otherwise unable to.  That's why I started this under the 'wittnessing' topic.  Grin  (At least I did something right!)  Grin

Also, humor can be used as a sort of shield to repel the world… sorry - that one is harder to explain, but it’s proven to be a continual blessing for me.   Smiley

But either way is fine.  

There are no tears in Heaven.  The bible says so.  “God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.”--Revelation 7:17 So we just as well learn to smile now – its good practice for eternity.  

Hey, here's a thought – what if crying is a waste of valuable oxygen?  Think about it; is the CO2 emitted from a crying person adding to global warming?  (choke)  Now THERE’S a topic for a new thread!  Exactly HOW MUCH CO2 is being released by crying environmentalists?  Could they be endangering themselves?!  Is warning them the Christian thing to do???  Huh  Grin

Now then… let me run along out there and see if I can practice what I preach.   Smiley

Oh - FYI - I didn't alter what you said.  I simply performed 'editing' in the same way most network news sources edit their "news".  Technically it's truthful.  Well... kinda... sorta... maybe...

Now THAT makes you want to run out and listen to CBS Nightly News, Huh?  Grin

JPD
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 12:43:26 AM »

Uh-oh; it’s time to ‘spin’ this…  Lips Sealed

God gave each soul an individual gift.  If you want to argue that point, talk to my agent – He is never farther than a prayer away.    Grin (OH! COOL!  We have the same agent!)  Grin

I’ve always claimed that ‘a sense of humor’ (wholesome humor) is a gift from the Lord.  Personally, it eases my tensions and helps me reach out in a way I am otherwise unable to.  That's why I started this under the 'wittnessing' topic.  Grin  (At least I did something right!)  Grin

Also, humor can be used as a sort of shield to repel the world… sorry - that one is harder to explain, but it’s proven to be a continual blessing for me.   Smiley

But either way is fine.  

There are no tears in Heaven.  The bible says so.  “God will wipe away every tear from their eyes.”--Revelation 7:17 So we just as well learn to smile now – its good practice for eternity.  

Hey, here's a thought – what if crying is a waste of valuable oxygen?  Think about it; is the CO2 emitted from a crying person adding to global warming?  (choke)  Now THERE’S a topic for a new thread!  Exactly HOW MUCH CO2 is being released by crying environmentalists?  Could they be endangering themselves?!  Is warning them the Christian thing to do???  Huh  Grin

Now then… let me run along out there and see if I can practice what I preach.   Smiley

Oh - FYI - I didn't alter what you said.  I simply performed 'editing' in the same way most network news sources edit their "news".  Technically it's truthful.  Well... kinda... sorta... maybe...

Now THAT makes you want to run out and listen to CBS Nightly News, Huh?  Grin

I don't have the slightest idea of what's going on here.  If I said something hurtful, it was certainly done in ignorance.

JudgeNot
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 12:50:19 AM »

If I said something hurtful, it was certainly done in ignorance.
Huh? Hurtful? Wow - am I ever confused.
I'm sure we're in the same boat - which means we have the same Captain!  I guess I'll consult with Him.  He'll put my head back on straight.  Smiley

God bless - see you tomorrow.
JN

JPD
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2005, 01:24:16 AM »

If I said something hurtful, it was certainly done in ignorance.
Huh? Hurtful? Wow - am I ever confused.
I'm sure we're in the same boat - which means we have the same Captain!  I guess I'll consult with Him.  He'll put my head back on straight.  Smiley

God bless - see you tomorrow.
JN

I feel like I MISSED the boat.  I'm cornfused, too.  I thought everything was  Cool and then you said you were embarassed by the context I put it in.  I thought it was a joke, then I wasn't sure again. That's the part I don't understand. I thought it was a wonderful post.  So did PR.  Had I even known about this story of corn growing, I don't think I would have ever connected it to Christian growth.

Grace and peace,
cris

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2005, 01:52:52 AM »

uhh...."corn post" = corny?? I am sure it wasn't meant that way but it is funny when you think about it. The post though is not the least bit "corny" although it is full of corn. Lips Sealed Lips Sealed   (I didn't say that!)

Seriously, I still think it is a wonderful analogy. This post reminds me of my childhood. I grew up in the middle of the corn belt. I spent a lot of time as a teenager in and around corn fields. I always felt closer to God just sitting there with no one else around but us.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 01:53:58 AM by Pastor Roger » Logged

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2005, 02:27:46 PM »

uhh...."corn post" = corny?? I am sure it wasn't meant that way but it is funny when you think about it. The post though is not the least bit "corny" although it is full of corn. Lips Sealed Lips Sealed   (I didn't say that!)

Seriously, I still think it is a wonderful analogy. This post reminds me of my childhood. I grew up in the middle of the corn belt. I spent a lot of time as a teenager in and around corn fields. I always felt closer to God just sitting there with no one else around but us.

ROFL

That went right over my head like a jet.  duh Grin

Thanks for clearing the air, Grin, if I may say that.  Or, did I just make it worse?  Lips Sealed

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the