Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:22:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286766 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Bible Study (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  David
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: David  (Read 8878 times)
ollie
Gold Member

Being born again, .....by the word of God,

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2005, 02:57:51 PM »

Would any one like to study and discuss David. His relationship with God etc.,

One thing I found interesting about David is that upon being annointed with oil by Samuel, he was filled with the Spirit of God. Also that God put an evil spirit in Saul, then David was summoned to play on his harp in Sauls' presence and the evil spirit in Saul departed. 1 Samuel 16:13-23

In 1 Samuel 24:10-17 David has a chance to slay Saul, who has been trying to kill David. David does not kill Saul, but only cuts his skirt. David could not sin aginst Jehovah's annointed King Saul. David gave the vengeance over to Jehovah. David knew that wickedness comes out of the wicked, and that evil is not returned for evil, but good. Saul proclaims such.

ollie

Support your local Christian.
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 04:13:11 PM »

Hello Brother Ollie,

Yes, I would love to join you in this study. The study of David is a massive topic with many applications for the Christians of today. It also has many fascinating connections to Bible prophecy that are yet to be fulfilled.

I've promised my wife that we would go out and eat, but I hope to have a contribution to this study tonight. I hope that many join us.

My first thoughts are simple:

David - "Beloved"

David had a thirst for God and sought HIM. God wishes to quench our thirst and feed us. If we seek, we will find. Our Great and Almighty God wishes to have an intimate relationship with us. A willing heart on our part is the first requirement.

David was a man after God's own heart, and we see how God used him.

Jesus Christ HIMSELF will rule and reign over the earth for 1,000 years from the throne of David in Jerusalem.

Brother Ollie, thanks for a wonderful Bible study topic. I look forward to this. The below is just one of my favorite portions of Scripture that deals with David's willing heart.

Psalms 63:1  A Psalm of David, when he was in the wilderness of Judah. O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;
Psalms 63:2  To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary.
Psalms 63:3  Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee.
Psalms 63:4  Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name.
Psalms 63:5  My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips:
Psalms 63:6  When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.
Psalms 63:7  Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice.
Psalms 63:8  My soul followeth hard after thee: thy right hand upholdeth me.
Psalms 63:9  But those that seek my soul, to destroy it, shall go into the lower parts of the earth.
Psalms 63:10  They shall fall by the sword: they shall be a portion for foxes.
Psalms 63:11  But the king shall rejoice in God; every one that sweareth by him shall glory: but the mouth of them that speak lies shall be stopped.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Psa 23:1  A Psalm of David. The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
Psa 24:1  A Psalm of David. The earth is the LORD's, and the fullness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein.
Psa 25:1  A Psalm of David. Unto thee, O LORD, do I lift up my soul.
Psa 27:1  A Psalm of David. The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?
Psa 28:1  A Psalm of David. Unto thee will I cry, O LORD my rock; be not silent to me: lest, if thou be silent to me, I become like them that go down into the pit.
Psa 32:1  A Psalm of David, Maschil. Blessed is he whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered.
Psa 35:1  A Psalm of David. Plead my cause, O LORD, with them that strive with me: fight against them that fight against me.
Psa 64:1  To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David. Hear my voice, O God, in my prayer: preserve my life from fear of the enemy.
Psa 101:1  A Psalm of David. I will sing of mercy and judgment: unto thee, O LORD, will I sing.
Psa 103:1  A Psalm of David. Bless the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Psa 141:1  A Psalm of David. LORD, I cry unto thee: make haste unto me; give ear unto my voice, when I cry unto thee.
Psa 143:1  A Psalm of David. Hear my prayer, O LORD, give ear to my supplications: in thy faithfulness answer me, and in thy righteousness.
Psa 144:1  A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 06:37:10 AM »

Brother Ollie,

I don't believe in coincidence. Just look at the below, the date, and the topic. I promise you that I didn't have a chance to read it until just a few minutes ago.

Author: Theodore Epp
Source: Strength for the Journey
Scripture Reference Psalms 4:3 Isaiah 55:8-9 Acts 13:22-23 1 Samuel 16:1-13

A Man After the Heart of God

1 Samuel 16:1-13

When Samuel was sent to the house of Jesse to anoint one of his sons to be king, the old prophet apparently assumed that since Saul (the present king) was a man of striking physical appearance, God would choose another like him.

As Eliab, Jesse's oldest son, stood before him, Samuel said in his heart, "Surely the Lord's anointed is before him" (1 Sam. 16:6).

Then God showed Samuel that the divine standard was not according to a man's physical appearance but according to his heart attitude toward God.

"Look not on his countenance," the Lord said, "or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart" (v. 7).

Paul referred to this fact when he said in Acts 13:22,23, "And when he [God] had removed him [Saul], he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will. Of this man's seed hath God according to his promise raised unto Israel a Saviour, Jesus."

So God's choice was a heart choice. It is clear from this that God's thoughts are not our thoughts, and our ways are not God's ways (see Isa. 55:8,9). God looked for a man whose heart was right toward Him and found him in David.

"But know that the LORD hath set apart him that is godly for himself" (Ps. 4:3).

This devotional is freely distributed by Back To The Bible.

Did you enjoy this devotional?  Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
To receive this e-mail regularly, just go to this page:
http://www.backtothebible.org/aboutus/email_entry.htm

YES! Brother Ollie - we are supposed to have a Bible Study on David. I hope and pray that many get a blessing from it and others participate.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Psalms 133:1  Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 04:41:03 PM »

Brother Ollie,

Again, I am shocked and don't believe in coincidence. I am working on my own contribution, starting with 1 Samuel 24, but please look at the below, the date, and the topic. Again, we are supposed to study this topic, and I feel led by the Holy Spirit to do just that.

July 1

God Promising an Anointed King

There shall come forth a Rod from the stem of Jesse, and a Branch shall grow out of his roots. The Spirit of the LORD shall rest upon Him, the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and might, the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD.  (Isa_11:1-2)

Already, we have seen our God of promises guaranteeing to call out a people for Himself, to deliver His people from bondage, to fight for His people, and to give them an everlasting kingdom. Now, God promises an anointed king for His people.

This anointed king was promised through David's family. "There shall come forth a Rod from the stem of Jesse." Jesse was a son of Obed and the father of David. "Obed begot Jesse, and Jesse begot David" (Ruth 4:22). This king is here given a Messianic title, Branch. "A Branch shall grow out of his roots." Other prophets had made similar prophetic promises concerning this royal Branch. "Behold, the days are coming,' says the LORD, 'That I will raise to David a Branch of righteousness; a King shall reign and prosper, and execute judgment and righteousness in the earth'  . . . I am bringing forth My Servant the Branch . . . Behold, the Man whose name is the Branch! " (Jer_23:5 and Zec_3:8; Zec_6:12).

This king ("the Branch") would serve by the empowering of the Holy Spirit. "The Spirit of the LORD shall rest upon Him." The Spirit of God would not merely come upon Him at times (as with King Saul): "Then the Spirit of God came upon him, and he prophesied among them" (1Sa_10:10). The Spirit would continually be upon Him for ministry: "The Spirit of the LORD shall rest upon Him." Of course, this king, the Branch, would be Jesus Christ. Jesus applied a similar Messianic passage to Himself. "The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me, because He has anointed Me" (Luk_4:18). Yes, Jesus Christ is the Messiah, the anointed King. In fact, Christ is the Greek term for "anointed One." Whereas, Messiah is the Hebrew term for the same.

The Messiah's ministry would be characterized by godly wisdom, heavenly understanding, perfect counsel, divine might, complete knowledge, and holy reverence for the Father. All of this was produced by the work of the Holy Spirit upon Him: "the Spirit of wisdom and understanding, the Spirit of counsel and might, the Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the LORD."

Jesus, my anointed King, all that You demonstrated in Your days upon this earth are the very needs that I have in my daily life. By Your promises, through the work of Your Spirit, please supply these realities in my walk, Amen.

Day-By-Day By Grace
Written by Pastor Bob Hoekstra
(Courtesy of Bob Hoekstra and Living in Christ Ministries)
http://www.calvarychapel.com/livinginchrist/

Colossians 1:28  Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

Day-By-Day By Grace is distributed freely and Internationally in the excellent freeware Bible Study package called e-Sword. You can also subscribe to Day-By-Day By Grace at the above link for Living In Christ Ministries.

You can obtain e-Sword at:
http://www.e-sword.net/downloads.html
Author: Rick Meyer
(The goal of Rick Meyer is to freely distribute Bibles to every country on earth in their own language, and that goal gets closer by the day. Thanks to countless Christian individuals and organizations with big hearts, many excellent Bible Study tools are also being freely distributed with e-Sword around the world.)

ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 06:20:51 AM »

Author: Theodore Epp
Source: Strength for the Journey
Scripture Reference Psalms 4:3 Isaiah 55:8-9 Acts 13:22-23 1 Samuel 16:1-13

A Man After the Heart of God

1 Samuel 16:1-13

When Samuel was sent to the house of Jesse to anoint one of his sons to be king, the old prophet apparently assumed that since Saul (the present king) was a man of striking physical appearance, God would choose another like him.

As Eliab, Jesse's oldest son, stood before him, Samuel said in his heart, "Surely the Lord's anointed is before him" (1 Sam. 16:6).

Then God showed Samuel that the divine standard was not according to a man's physical appearance but according to his heart attitude toward God.

"Look not on his countenance," the Lord said, "or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart" (v. 7).

Paul referred to this fact when he said in Acts 13:22,23, "And when he [God] had removed him [Saul], he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfil all my will. Of this man's seed hath God according to his promise raised unto Israel a Saviour, Jesus."

So God's choice was a heart choice. It is clear from this that God's thoughts are not our thoughts, and our ways are not God's ways (see Isa. 55:8,9). God looked for a man whose heart was right toward Him and found him in David.

"But know that the LORD hath set apart him that is godly for himself" (Ps. 4:3).

Tom,

That is very good. With all his strengths and weaknesses David comes across as a true role model for Christians. He will be in the resurrection with all the rest of God's faithful. Imagine being in His company. I just love him as a man after God's heart. I pray our hearts are such.

David was chosen by Jehovah. God saw not the outer appearance of David, that of a lowly shepherd boy, but looked on his heart and chose.

God looks into our hearts and makes judgements on us not by our outward presence. However if the inward heart is Godly the outward presence will mirror the goodness.

ollie
« Last Edit: July 03, 2005, 07:34:36 AM by ollie » Logged

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 05:59:50 PM »

Amen Brother Ollie!

I agree with you completely. Not only is there an application for individual role models, but for national role models. This alone would be a large and beautiful study.

I promised a contribution to this study, and I apologize for the delay. I got sidetracked in studying references that deal with 1 Samuel.

1 Samuel represents an interesting portion of history for Israel. Israel had a fairly consistent history of rejecting the leadership of God through various prophets and judges, Samuel being one of them. So, God gave Israel human Kings. This is a time of many wars and the very survival of Israel was at stake. It's interesting to note that many older translations have Samuel joined with Kings as 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Kings. Other older translations refer to them as the Books of the Kingdoms.

There are many kinds of anointings with oil, but it represented a divine appointment by the Lord in the case of King Saul.

1 Samuel 10:1  Then Samuel took a vial of oil, and poured it upon his head, and kissed him, and said, Is it not because the LORD hath anointed thee to be captain over his inheritance?

1 Samuel chronicles the divine appointment of Saul to King of Israel and a history of this time of war for Israel. Generally, Saul was known as a man of pride and hardness of heart before the Lord. As a striking contrast, we see Saul's subject David as a man of humility and softness of heart before the Lord. David serves Saul in a humble and loving way, yet Saul grows to hate David and eventually seeks to kill him.

1 Samuel 24 is a time where King Saul returns from following the Philistines, an enemy of Israel. Saul takes 3,000 men and seeks David and his men. Saul is told where they are. David and his men were hiding in a cave, and King Saul entered that cave to cover his feet. David's men told him that the Lord had delivered his enemy Saul to him to do whatever he felt was good. David could have easily killed King Saul, but instead, David only cut off the shirt of King Saul's robe. David spared the life of his master because Saul was the anointed of the Lord.

David speaks with King Saul and convinces Saul of the innocence in his heart. David pledges not to harm King Saul, even though Saul is seeking to take his life. Saul wept and acknowledged his fault. Saul states that David is more righteous that he is and tells David that he will be the next King. King Saul asked David for a pledge that he would not cut off his seed or destroy his name from out of his father's house. David accepted the pledge and swore unto King Saul the pledge. Saul was right about David becoming the King of Israel, and the Kingdom of Israel would be established in the hand of David, not Saul.

Some might ask why God chose a man like Saul to lead His Chosen People. The possible answers would make for an interesting discussion. Could it be that Israel deserved a lesser man? The answer is really not material since Saul was the choice of God, and God DID NOT make a mistake. David would be the next choice of God to lead His Chosen People. David ("Beloved") was a man after God's own heart. David was a humble man with a soft heart before the Lord. Again, it would be an interesting discussion about why Israel deserved the leadership of a much better man like David. It was to be that David would be anointed of the Lord, even before the death of King Saul. The Kingdom of Israel would be established in the hand of King David, God's anointed.

1 Samuel 13:13-14  And Samuel said to Saul, Thou hast done foolishly: thou hast not kept the commandment of the LORD thy God, which he commanded thee: for now would the LORD have established thy kingdom upon Israel forever.  But now thy kingdom shall not continue: the LORD hath sought him a man after his own heart, and the LORD hath commanded him to be captain over his people, because thou hast not kept that which the LORD commanded thee.

1 Samuel 16:1-11  And the LORD said unto Samuel, How long wilt thou mourn for Saul, seeing I have rejected him from reigning over Israel? fill thine horn with oil, and go, I will send thee to Jesse the Bethlehemite: for I have provided me a king among his sons.  And Samuel said, How can I go? if Saul hear it, he will kill me. And the LORD said, Take a heifer with thee, and say, I am come to sacrifice to the LORD.  And call Jesse to the sacrifice, and I will show thee what thou shalt do: and thou shalt anoint unto me him whom I name unto thee.  And Samuel did that which the LORD spoke, and came to Bethlehem. And the elders of the town trembled at his coming, and said, Comest thou peaceably?  And he said, Peaceably: I am come to sacrifice unto the LORD: sanctify yourselves, and come with me to the sacrifice. And he sanctified Jesse and his sons, and called them to the sacrifice.  And it came to pass, when they were come, that he looked on Eliab, and said, Surely the LORD's anointed is before him.  But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.  Then Jesse called Abinadab, and made him pass before Samuel. And he said, Neither hath the LORD chosen this.  Then Jesse made Shammah to pass by. And he said, Neither hath the LORD chosen this.  Again, Jesse made seven of his sons to pass before Samuel. And Samuel said unto Jesse, The LORD hath not chosen these.  And Samuel said unto Jesse, Are here all thy children? And he said, There remaineth yet the youngest, and, behold, he keepeth the sheep. And Samuel said unto Jesse, Send and fetch him: for we will not sit down till he come hither.

There are many applications that are appropriate with the portions of Scripture that chronicle the history of Israel, both in a personal way and a national way. How and why are individuals or nations blessed by Almighty God? Doesn't it really boil down to whether an individual or a nation turns toward or away from God and God's Ways? Many of the lost make comments about the histories in the Holy Bible as proving the failures and mistakes of Almighty God.  The exact opposite is true.  The histories of individuals and nations, specifically the bad, are due to the failures and mistakes of men, NOT GOD. One can easily conclude that individuals and nations will only be blessed when they have a soft heart for GOD and His Ways. One of the most precious applications is the truth that God does not look on outward appearances, BUT THE HEART.

Love In Christ,
Tom

ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2005, 08:37:15 PM »

Another lesson from David:

The good that David did to Saul in place of doing evil to him allowed Saul to truly know David would be King and establish the kingdom of Israel. 1 Samuel 24

The lesson of do good to evil and render not evil for evil continues today with God's people in the lessons of Jesus Christ given by the Holy Spirit. Which by the way is the Spirit that filled David.

ollie
« Last Edit: July 06, 2005, 08:39:48 PM by ollie » Logged

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2005, 09:20:07 PM »

The good that David did to Saul in place of doing evil to him allowed Saul to truly know David would be King and establish the kingdom of Israel. 1 Samuel 24

The lesson of do good to evil and render not evil for evil continues today with God's people in the lessons of Jesus Christ given by the Holy Spirit. Which by the way is the Spirit that filled David.

ollie

OK, how about this.  Is telling someone they're evil because they do evil things, evil?  I know it would be better to say that the things a person does is evil but sometimes it's difficult to separate the evil from the person doing it.  

Are there any genuine evil people around?  Child molesters?  Sociopaths?  Reprobated people?

ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2005, 04:53:28 AM »

ollie:

ollie

Quotes are Chris'.
OK, how about this.  Is telling someone they're evil because they do evil things, evil?
An example of Nathan telling David of his evil doings us in 2 Samuel 12:9. What was the outcome?

I know it would be better to say that the things a person does is evil but sometimes it's difficult to separate the evil from the person doing it.
It can also bring one to repentance as in David's example.  

Are there any genuine evil people around?  Child molesters?  Sociopaths?  Reprobated people?
Only God knows the heart. Man can only discern the outward appearance. There have been some overtime with evil outer appearances. God will judge their hearts. Here is how Nathan told David God judged him.

2 Samuel 12:13.  "And David said unto Nathan, I have sinned against the Lord. And Nathan said unto David, The Lord also hath put away thy sin; thou shalt not die.
 14.  Howbeit, because by this deed thou hast given great occasion to the enemies of the Lord to blaspheme, the child also that is born unto thee shall surely die."

ollie
« Last Edit: July 08, 2005, 05:01:43 AM by ollie » Logged

ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 08:17:56 AM »

David speaks of Godliness:

David says it best, how he became Godly as well as others..

Psalms 24

"1.  The earth is the Lord's, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein.
2.  For he hath founded it upon the seas, and established it upon the floods.
3.  Who shall ascend into the hill of the Lord? or who shall stand in his holy place?
4.  He that hath clean hands, and a pure heart; who hath not lifted up his soul unto vanity, nor sworn deceitfully.
5.  He shall receive the blessing from the Lord, and righteousness from the God of his salvation.
6.  This is the generation of them that seek him, that seek thy face, O Jacob. Selah.
7.  Lift up your heads, O ye gates; and be ye lift up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in.
8.  Who is this King of glory? The Lord strong and mighty, the Lord mighty in battle.
9.  Lift up your heads, O ye gates; even lift them up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in.
10.  Who is this King of glory? The Lord of hosts, he is the King of glory.
Selah.'

Psalm 22:26.  "The meek shall eat and be satisfied: they shall praise the Lord that seek him: your heart shall live for ever."

Psalm 119:1.  "Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the Lord.
2.  Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
3.  They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.

4.  Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
5.  O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
6.  Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
7.  I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
8.  I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
9.  Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word.
10.  With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments.
11.  Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
12.  Blessed art thou, O Lord: teach me thy statutes."

ollie

« Last Edit: July 26, 2005, 08:23:14 AM by ollie » Logged

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005, 08:35:41 AM »

Just wanted to say, that this particular thread has been a real blessing to me this morning.  A well needed blessing at that.   Thank you Lord, and thank you Ollie and BEP!

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005, 09:39:06 AM »

AMEN BROTHER OLLIE!

AGAIN, I repeat that I never believe in coincidence. Brother Ollie, including your post, I've read four articles and studies about David in just the last few hours. I want to share one of them with everyone:

Short and to the Point

Psalms 37–39, Acts 26
Key Verses: Psalm 37:3–5

“Don’t beat around the bush. Get to the point,” is the sentiment of some of us. We prefer concise, straight answers, not wordy explanations or instructions.

David got right to the point in Psalm 37. “Trust in the LORD” (v. 3). “Delight yourself in the LORD” (v. 4). “Commit your way to the LORD” (v. 5). “Be still before the LORD” (v. 7). In a beautiful simplicity, these statements say all we need to know and do.

Trust. Whatever our situation or circumstances, we need to have an abiding confidence in God.

Delight. Our heart’s affections need to be set on the Lord, learning to find our joy and delight in Him.

Commit. We need to determine that our life will be lived the way He wants it lived.

Be still. It is almost impossible to hear God while running, especially with the noise and confusion that so often crowds in on us. We need the still times.

Could more be said about these things? Of course. Occasionally we need the point driven home, explained, illustrated and applied.

Yet there remains in the simplicity of these statements straightforward communication that catches our eyes, our ears and hopefully our minds and hearts so that we trust, delight, commit and remain still, experiencing the blessing of God.

Read the rest of Psalm 37. What other phrases like these catch your attention? Highlight or underline them in your Bible.

This devotional is freely distributed by Back To The Bible.

Did you enjoy this devotional?  Send it on for a friend to enjoy.
To receive this e-mail regularly, just go to this page:
http://www.backtothebible.org/aboutus/email_entry.htm

ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2005, 08:57:45 AM »

A lesson from David: A thought:

Sacrifice to the Lord the things that are yours that cost you something, not the things of someone else at no cost to you.

David paid the price for the threshing floor and oxen so that it would rightfully be his sacrifice, that cost him, offered to the Lord for Israel.

By accepting the threshingfloor and oxen as a free gift from Araunah, the things offered in sacrifice would not be offered up at a cost to David. David would not be giving of David, to the Lord, for Israel's forgiveness from Him (the Lord).

Reference: 2 Samuel 24

ollie

« Last Edit: August 15, 2005, 02:39:05 PM by ollie » Logged

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2005, 02:45:43 PM »

Brother Ollie,

There is a beautiful comparison here. The sacrifice was required and demanded for sin under the Law. Now, JESUS has died on the Cross for our sins as a Perfect Sacrifice, and we are no longer under the Law. The Blood of JESUS on the CROSS was more than enough to forgive all of us if we simply confess and ask JESUS to be the LORD over our lives.

The perfect Sacrifice of JESUS is our Salvation, and this fact should give us great joy. We know that our good works are not required for Salvation, but we should also know other things about good works. Our good works are evidence that we appreciate what JESUS did for us, and our works stand as a testimony to the lost and encouragement for other Christians. We also know that God won't accept our good works unless they are done from a heart of joy and appreciation, as opposed to works done for duty, pride, or recognition. We can and should pray, asking God that the Holy Spirit lead and guide us in our work for Him.

When a Christian sins, it's a beautiful thing to know that Jesus Christ already paid the penalty. HE is faithful and just to forgive our sins and cleanse us from unrighteousness. So, in all REALITY, our standing is in JESUS and we have peace with GOD.

Love In Christ,
Tom

Hebrews 13:15-16 ASV  Through him then let us offer up a sacrifice of praise to God continually, that is, the fruit of lips which make confession to his name.  But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased.

ollie
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2005, 03:16:53 PM »

David always acknowledges that it is God working in Him for His strength, Psalm 18, grace, Psalm 84:11, and through His kindness, Psalm, 117.  However David acknowledges all these good things and more come from God because of walking uprightly. Also Psalm 84:11, Psalm 15:1-2.

ollie

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the