Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:00:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Bibles
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bibles  (Read 10281 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2005, 02:24:39 AM »

gotcha104,

After considerable prayer, I've decided to start telling the bold and blunt truth about this issue for every impossible claim that you make about the KJV.

The KJV is not, nor has it ever been the standard for comparison for anything. The standard for comparison is Greek and Hebrew ancient texts.

You should know that anyone can check the origins of the KJV. You should also know that any person who studies the Bible will know immediately that your claims about the KJV are not true, and they can't be true. As I said, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you believe your statements. I would suggest that you do some checking before you make many more.

The KJV is nothing but a translation, and that's all it's ever been. There has never been any claim of inspiration, in fact the opposite claims were made. The 1611 KJV had thousands of footnotes and side notes that suggested alternate readings, and that was very wise to do that.

In essence, the KJV was a major upgrade ad rewrite of the Bishops Bible, and King James gave specific instructions to the translators that limited what they could or couldn't do. They did consult ancient texts, but they were woefully lacking for the New Testament. As a result, they depended on considerable work from a Roman Catholic Humanist of the time. Anyone can get this information for themselves, so I won't bore everyone. Some of the errors in the KJV are due to relying on work done with the Latin Vulgate and including it in the KJV.

Many of the criticisms of the KJV are 100% accurate and true, even though the KJV is still a good to excellent translation. Many of the criticisms of other translations are also true. It is not honest to simply redirect doubt to something else when there is a question you can't answer. You also have another favorite redirection to the location of the original and complete texts. That's simply another dishonest smoke screen for your KJV Only cause. Trying to use all of this misdirection and smoke screens to make people think that the KJV is the only complete and correct Bible is a waste of time and completely false.

This is only 1% or less of the KJV story, and the KJV story is heavily documented. You need to realize that anyone can easily read the origin and steps of the translation of the KJV for themselves. Saying that the KJV is 100% anything, especially pure, complete, correct, or the only Word of God is total baloney. You should really stop making that claim because it's impossible to defend. It isn't even a close statement to make, and anyone can find that out for themselves in a matter of minutes. So, I really don't understand why you keep trying to do this. You can easily read the truth for yourself, and you should have already done this before you went all over the Internet making false claims.

The original 1611 KJV was the most accurate of the MANY KJV translations because it contains the thousands of footnotes and margin notes with alternate readings and interpretations. So, if you wish to use the best KJV translation, this is the one you should use. Forget about the 1769 version that you are probably using.

In spite of problems, errors, and limited or improper source material, the KJV was and is a masterpiece. 400 years later, it is still probably one of the better or best translations of the Holy Bible. Claiming anything else is false. To claim otherwise, you would have to suggest that God started over and gave the translators of the KJV the inspired Word of God for today. That won't work because God doesn't give alternate readings, and God doesn't need but once to get it right.

Finally, for this post, misrepresentation of the KJV hurts the work of God. Demonizing other translations or the people who worked on them can also be done easily with the KJV, so what is accomplished? The quality of the translation is the only thing that matters, and the rest is simply more misdirection and smoke screen. The location of the original, complete, and correct Holy Bible is not material, and it certainly doesn't apply to the KJV. The original, complete, and correct Holy Bible is in Hebrew and Greek, NOT ENGLISH. That's why we still do Hebrew and Greek word studies.

Brother Will, I am determined that the truth about this matter WILL BE presented here, so you can expect another 1% here and there. My intention has nothing to do with argument, as the KJV used to be the Bible I loved and used for 50 years. My intention involves TRUTH and damage control for the work of God. Many of the newer translations of the Holy Bible are also good to excellent, and they obviously include the NIV, NLT, NASB, and others. They all have pluses and minuses, just like the KJV has pluses and minuses. There are also many good to excellent translations around 1900 and later, not limited to the ESV, ASV, NKJV, and others. They are all translations, so they have strengths and weaknesses - JUST LIKE THE KJV! - AND GOD IS USING THEM FOR HIS WORK!!!!!!

Love in Christ,
Tom

3 John 1:3-4 ASV  For I rejoiced greatly, when brethren came and bare witness unto thy truth, even as thou walkest in truth.  Greater joy have I none than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth.

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2005, 04:12:09 PM »

Hi Chris, you mentioned the 1977 NASB and asked about what it leaves out.  I have a 1977 NASB right here in my study.
I have heard negatives about the Message bible and isn't the New World Translation a JW bible?  If it isn't, it sure sounds like a similar name to theirs.

I use the NASB-------1977 edition and love it.  This particular one is out of print and they are going for a couple of hundred dollars if you can find one.

PR........do you know if something is left out of this NASB bible?  I vaguely remember someone saying that 2 "blood verses" were changed and reworded.  I forget which ones they are now.  I did check it at the time and I didn't think it changed the meaning.  I wrote them down but don't recall where they are now.

Chris, there is far more missing from the NASB than just a couple of "blood verses".  Here is the site again.  It has two parts to it, but it is very easy to read.  Most of these words and whole phrases are omitted in the NASB.  Some of the whole verses are found in some NASBs but in [brackets], which to them, indicates that they are not really part of Scripture.  The bracketed verses are completely omitted from the NIV, RSV, ESV texts, but sometimes they place them in the footnotes.

However, if you go through these two charts, you will see that the NASB omits hundreds of words that are found in the KJB, NKJV, Youngs, the Spanish Reina Valera and all previous English Bibles like the Geneva Bible, Tyndale, Coverdale and Bishops' Bible.

Not all bibles are the same, at all.

Please check it out.

http://av1611.com/kjbp/charts/themagicmarker.html

Then click on the second part and continue your comparisons.

God bless,

Will K

Thank you.  I've been to this website in the past.  It would take an incredible amount of research and time on my part to go way way back in history to try and verify all of the opinions of all of the people, and then conclude on my own.  I'm not, and I can't do this.  I ask God, in my daily prayers, to lead me into all truth.  I believe He does.  It's a process.

I've read (not recently) about the different bible versions.  I've read that the Latin Vulgate was corrupt.  I've never found any real evidence of that.  People can make anything say whatever they want, including the Words of God AND they do.  That is the reason for all the different denominations in the world today.  I do not want to go any further discussing this issue.  As far as I'm concerned there should be ONE Godly authority interpreting the bible for us.  There was at one time, the church.  Since the reformation, Christianity has been fractured.  One says this and one says that in reference to interpretation.  The verses in the bible should mean ONE thing to all people. There should be ONE interpretation.  Unfortunately, this isn't how it is. I really believe the catholic church knew this a very long time ago.  Give the Word to man and watch what happens.  Well, just look at what happened.  Wycliffe, then the Reformation.  Until we can all agree on the same interpretation of God's Word, The Bible, disagreements will continue.  

I'm not good at writing my thoughts.  I'm better, not much Grin, at talking face to face with a person.  I think much faster than I type and leave out too much........a disability on my part.  Come to think about it, I think much faster than I talk, too. Roll Eyes

The catholic church was the religion of the Holy Roman Empire.  They WERE the authority.  We have governments with laws that we must abide by.  Just think about it, if we take apart the government like the church was taken apart, what would we have?  You got it.

Here's the deal.................Jesus Christ said to submit to authority.  Did Luther and Wycliffe?  No, they did not.  Jesus Christ Himself never left Judaism to start a new religion called Christianity......................man called it that.  Do you think Jesus Christ (if He came to earth today) would call Himself a Christian?  I don't think He would.  There's an old saying that's true..............."bloom where you're planted."  Christ did, and we should have too, referring to Wycliffe and Luther.  Jesus Christ knew the church (catholic) needed a bit of fixin' up.  Where was the faith of these guys?  God would have used them IN the church for those repairs if they had stayed.  If He couldn't have used THEM, then He would have used those who came after for the repairs.  If your kitchen faucet is broken you don't go buy a whole new house, do you?  Well, that's what happened back 100's of years ago.  The church is a very sorry mess today.  Enough said.

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2005, 04:31:53 PM »

Cris, I think you hit the nail on the head when you said, " As far as I'm concerned there should be ONE Godly authority interpreting the bible for us.".  There is one authority but most people don't go to Him. Instead they try to use their earthly wisdom and desires. This has happened even before the Bible became the Bible, when it was the spoken word.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2005, 07:42:59 PM »

Due to the hostilities that this subject seems to bring out in some people, this thread and any others on this subject are now locked and may stay that way.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the