Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:35:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Bibles
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bibles  (Read 10290 times)
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2005, 09:21:57 PM »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought the definition of a parted garment meant ............pants.

"parted garment"??   Which verse is this??

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
Sammi

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2005, 09:36:54 PM »

I'm curious about this also, I've never seen that. Huh

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2005, 09:57:37 PM »

I have studied this subject extensively and I use the KJV. I have never come across this before.

Joh 9:4  I must work the works of him that sent me, while it is day: the night cometh, when no man can work.
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2005, 10:07:09 PM »

I'm having trouble with my computer.  I just tried my son's dial up and it seems to be better but I don't know for how long.

In answer to your question about where the verse is about parted garments my answer is I don't know.  I repeated what someone said about women's clothing KJV.  I tried searching for it but nothing comes up.  The jist of the post was, "well, do you still abide by not wearing "parted garments"" as was a biblical mandate to women.  It was something like that and I think it was about 4 or 5 weeks ago.  It's on CU somewhere.  Maybe that person quoted from the original 1611 KJV.  I'll keep looking.  My first thought when I read that was, huh, there were no such things as "pants" back then.  However, a parted garment today would be a pair of pants, wouldn't it?  I think it might be on the KJV thread somewhere.
Or, could it have been a deleted post?
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2005, 10:34:59 PM »

I went to CU's search and cannot find it.  It's here!  I remember reading it because those words "parted garment" stuck in my mind.  Oh, this is driving me crazy.  Umm, now I'm wondering if there wasn't a link I clicked onto.  I don't think so but I can't find it on here.  I know what I'll do.  I'm going to start a new topic.  Maybe someone can come to our  (my) rescue.
Sammi

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2005, 10:35:59 PM »

The only verse I know of is this one:

The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

And just to be fair, I took it from KJV, even though I prefer NIV.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.
Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2005, 10:46:22 PM »

The KJV uses breeches in reference to a garment that was a wrap around their lower half. It also uses garment quite extensively. The 1611 KJV has fewer occurences of the word parted than does the KJV. It never mentions "parted garment".

The only time parted and garment appears in the same verse is in reference to Jesus garments being parted by the soldiers while he was on the cross.

I just found the post you are referring to:

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=22;action=display;threadid=6809;start=msg101729#msg101729

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2005, 10:50:21 PM »

The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

Sammi,

Which verse was that in the KJV?  I'm willing to bet this IS the verse.  Bettcha it's worded different in the original 1611 KJV or Darby's or Coverdale's bible.

I even checked the net and couldn't come up with it.  I just came up with the verse about parting Jesus' garment at the crucifixion.

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2005, 11:02:41 PM »

The KJV uses breeches in reference to a garment that was a wrap around their lower half. It also uses garment quite extensively. The 1611 KJV has fewer occurences of the word parted than does the KJV. It never mentions "parted garment".

The only time parted and garment appears in the same verse is in reference to Jesus garments being parted by the soldiers while he was on the cross.

I just found the post you are referring to:

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=22;action=display;threadid=6809;start=msg101729#msg101729

OK, when I came back I didn't scroll down to see this post.  I just saw the one under the new topic and immediately clicked on it.  See what excitement can do to ya! Wink Grin Tongue

Sammi

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2005, 11:13:50 PM »

It was Deuteronomy 22:5. Smiley

Also I read that thread, but it didn't give a Bible passage reference. Huh
« Last Edit: August 01, 2005, 11:21:09 PM by Sammi » Logged

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2005, 11:22:00 PM »

It was Deuteronomy 22:5. Smiley

Thank you Sammi.  Now, at least a part of this puzzle is solved.  We'll get the rest of the pieces in place, eventually.  Then maybe your original question can get answered. Tongue

Soldier4Christ
Global Moderator
Gold Member

One Nation Under God

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2005, 11:29:33 PM »

Sammi,

Which verse was that in the KJV?  I'm willing to bet this IS the verse.  Bettcha it's worded different in the original 1611 KJV or Darby's or Coverdale's bible.

I even checked the net and couldn't come up with it.  I just came up with the verse about parting Jesus' garment at the crucifixion.

That is Deu 22:5. The following is taken from the 1611.

Deu 22:5  The woman shall not weare that which pertaineth vnto a man, neither shall a man put on a womans garment: for all that doe so, are abomination vnto the Lord thy God.

I have six versions of the KJV. None of them use "parted garment" in any verses.

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2005, 11:41:22 PM »

I guess we're going to have to wait until Pilgrim logs on again and ask him directly where he got that verse.

Sammi

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2005, 11:41:35 PM »

So my next question would be this. Would you take that to mean that the Church I was attending was twisting Gods word to fit their "doctrine"? That no woman was allowed to own or wear pants? Huh

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2005, 11:53:53 PM »

So my next question would be this. Would you take that to mean that the Church I was attending was twisting Gods word to fit their "doctrine"? That no woman was allowed to own or wear pants? Huh

I'm not sure I can say your chruch is twisting scripture.  They believe this is what the scripture means.  I don't think Amish women wear pants and I think they are Godly people.  Notice, I said "think" because I don't know any Amish personally.  I'm sure there are other denominations that believe women should wear dresses and not pants.  

I guess one really needs to pray about something like this.  If you're not convicted that women shouldn't wear pants, maybe you need to change churches.  I don't really know what the answer is.  I just know the bible says we live in the world but we're not supposed to be part of the world.  Whether this verse includes women wearing pants, I can't answer.  We live in a culture where pants wearing by women is commonplace.  No one even discusses it.  Whether it's right or wrong, I'm not sure.

Anyone else have an opinion about this?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the