Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:08:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Movies (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Episode III - Star Wars
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Episode III - Star Wars  (Read 3338 times)
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2005, 01:22:12 PM »

Anyone see this movie?

Comments?

Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

We'll party like we're dead.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 01:34:39 PM »

I saw it, and I loved it. It's the best of the new ones (as most people would probably say), though it can't beat the originals.

I think that the reason I like it so much is because I (unfortunately) see a lot of myself in Anakin...Watching that movie was like having an out-of-body experience at some points, only with a lot more lightsabers and futuristic control panels.
Rhys

The chief end of man is to glorify God

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 11:32:00 PM »

Saw it last night and I agree it is the best of the new ones.
The other two were pretty lame. Taken altogether, the Star Wars series was great, mostly because it followed the traditional plot of a Fairy Tale, but set in Sci-fi.

Its major fault was the concept of "The Force". Lord Acton hasn't ever been proven wrong (all power corrupts). The Force would have corrupted ALL the Jedi, not just a few. With the power at their disposal they wouldn't have long tolerated a Republic with its checks and balances on power, but would have made themselves dictators.

If God was a force we could manipulate and use for our own ends we would all be corrupted, but He is a PERSON who can't be used or manipulated. We can allow Him to use US for HIS purposes if we yield totally to Him.

Star Wars, Harry Potter, etc. all share the worldly viewpoint that a "good" person should seek power for himself so that he can use it for good - and don't recognize either the fallen nature of man nor the corrupting influence of power. Christianity recognizes both and teaches us not only to not seek power for ourselves, but to yield self to God so that God's uncorrupted and uncorruptible power can flow thorugh us.

My blog: http://rhys02.blogspot.com/
My website: http://tkrice.tripod.com/

Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths Prov. 3: 5,6

Member in good standing: Rednecks for Jesus
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 01:16:32 PM »

Ya had me spinin' there for awhile, Rhys.  Couldn't figure out who Lord Acton was. Grin

For anyone else who felt the same way, here:

http://www.libertystory.net/LSTHINKACTON.html

Hey Sapphire------------better be careful Wink Grin.

I was hoping to get more replies before I commented.

My first thought was that it reminded me of the fall of the angels, which led to my second thought (imagine that? Grin),  our future IS the past.  Hence, history repeats itself, at least, somewhat.

It's very easy to see how ALL POWER CORRUPTS man.  Love, as a power, doesn't corrupt.  It's Christ working in and through us that's incorruptible.

When I mentioned these thoughts to one of the people who accompanied me, this was his reply, "Geez this was supposed to be entertainment.  Do you see God in everything?"  Hey, what can I say Grin.

hisloveneverfails3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2005, 02:26:00 AM »

For me this Star wars movie topped all the other ones. It was full of alot more emotion, or so i thought. In a way i thought it portrayed that evil was powerful- even more powerful than the "light" side. Now i put sort of a biblical point to it and it seemed almost like Satan was more powerful than God.
(Just a thought)
Does anyone else think that too??

-MARIGRACE
"For sin shall not be your master, because your are not under law, but under GRACE"
(Romans 6:14)
Kristi Ann
Gold Member

John 9:1-5 KJV

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 04:16:46 PM »

I've not seen it yet... Someday maybe.

Huggles, YSIC \o/

KristiAnn
MsGuidedAngel

LittlePilgrim

Little pilgrim, walking down the road of life...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 01:18:17 PM »

Actually, looking closely at the phillosphy behind the Force, you'll find allot of parallels with Christianity! I know this topic hasn't been replied to in months, but I'm a noob! XD

Okay, although the Force is said to be an energy field, we learn early on (through certain statements of Obi-Wan Kenobi and in the prequels through statements of Qui-Gon Jin.) that this is not really the case. Rather, it seems to be a living entitry. A mere energy field cannot have a will. George Lucas said he wanted to create a 'religion based' on, "The fact that there is a God, and there is good and evil." The Jedi follow the 'light side', representative of God. The sith follow the 'dark side', representative of Satan.

Cris, I think I understand what you're saying. But listen to Yoda's words to Luke.

Luke Skywalker: Is the dark side stronger?
Yoda: No... But... Quicker, easier, more seductive.

That is just the way it is in our world. God is more powerful than Satan and his followers, but to our human eyes, it seems easier to follow our desires, our passions if you will... And so we fall into Satan's net, just as Anakin fell into the net of the emperor.

But no one is beyond the hope of redemption... And that's really what Star Wars is about. Because it is love that innevitably saves Anakin... And love is clearly of the light side. Love clearly comes from God.

Also... If we go with this concept that the Force is indeed alive, then that would mean that in fact it wouldn't necessarily corrupt all Jedi.

Obi-wan: Remember, a Jedi can feel the Force flowing through him

Luke: You mean it controls your actions?

Obi-Wan: Partially, but it also obeys your commands.

Let's take this and translate it into the real world. Obiwan states that the force does control the Jedi's actions to some extent, but that it also obeys the Jedi's commands. It isn't a stretch to compare this aspect of the force to the Holy Spirit, who uses us as its tools, and who perfoms great things through us. To the outside eye, it would seem as if 'it were obeying our commands'. And that is why we must be careful to give all glory to God...

Now let's move over to the other side... The sith.

"A sith believes he commands the force, but it is the Dark Side who controls him." -Jolee Bindo, Jedi knight.

Just as the jedi are able to perform incredible feats through the force, so too are the sith. This also has parallels in the real universe. Although Satan is not powerful as God, just as the dark side is not powerful as the light, he is still very powerful, and for every one of God's truths and gifts, Satan has a counterfeit.

Take the demon-possessed girl of Acts. Before Paul drove the demon out of her in Christ's name, she walked around behind them, prophecying... Even today we see similar examples. Psychics, horoscopes, and the list goes on and on. Tongues would be another example of this. While it is most certainly a gift of God, Satan can also cause people to speak in tongues. That is why it is dangerous to do so without understanding.

Romans tells us, "For we struggle not against flesh and blood, but against powers, against principalities, against the rulers of the darkness of this age." Our battle is not a physical one, but a spiritual one. With the Spirit's help, we must continue to wrestle with and stand against Satan and his minions, and powers. So it is with the Jedi and the Sith.

Han Solo: Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

Luke: You don't believe in the Force, do you Han.

Han Solo: Kid, I've flown from one side of this galaxy to the other and seen allota' strange stuff, but never anything to make me think there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything... There's no mystical energy field controls my destiny.

Hmm... Sound familiar? Han Solo is (although good) the typical atheist. He doesn't  believe there's anything outside the physical universe, and doesn't believe in the real spiritual battle of the Jedi and Sith. And early on, he tries to convince Luke that this is indeed the case, just as atheists do to the Christian. It is Obi-Wan, the elder, wisened Jedi (much like Evangelist, in the Pilgrim's Progress), who points Luke in the right direction and holds his course steady throughout the series. But even he had a starting point. It is the responsibility of older christians to help our younger brethren (spiritually, not biologically... Though they could both be the same) to stay the course, and teach them to resist temptation, even in spite of hecklers, Han Solo in Star Wars... Atheists and the like in our world.

These are just a few parallels. Study the whole closely, compare with Scripture. Smiley You'll find that the Force is closer to the truth than we might think. Smiley God and Satan exist.. The constantly battle. Although Satan's destruction is as assured as the Emperor's was, it doesn't mean victory will come easily to us. It is only with God's help that we can continue to stand... Just as it is only with the aide of the Force that the Jedi could eventually vanquish evil. Smiley
« Last Edit: September 28, 2005, 05:24:11 PM by LittlePilgrim » Logged

For I am only human, not some hero of the faith/ I'm merely an example of God's mercy and His grace/ I keep my eyes on Jesus when my gains become a loss/ As I stumble to the cross. -Stumble, Timothy Mark
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the