Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:36:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286804 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Debate (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Is contraception against the will of God
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is contraception against the will of God  (Read 6998 times)
jesusavedme

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2005, 09:02:43 AM »

I will be honest.  I have never really pondered this issue in great depth.  I've always just figured that there was never wrong with contraception (providing it doesn't kill a fetus).  Some strong arguments have been made both ways.  However, I tend to agree with those whom defended my original position.  I don't see any clear indication in Scripture of contraception being wrong and the allusion to the Genesis account concerning the gentleman who "spilled his seed" seems like a particularly weak defense of the anti-contraception stance.  This text appears to be more Messiah centred than anything else.  Let's keep in mind that our God is not void of common sense.  He gave all of us this gift for a reason.  Common sense tells me that if you can't afford more kids than you have...wear protection.  If you don't have the temperment for kids...wear protection.  What's the problem here?  Arguing otherwise reminds me of those lost JW's refusing blood transfusions.  Reading into Scripture crazy carnal ideas.  No wonder most non-Christians think we are crazy people... We are in the world but not of it...but let's remember that we are IN the world.  Until this reality ceases, I think that Christians should all be living by this rule of thumb: If the Word of God does not mention a doctrine specifically...odds are God is telling us to use our COMMON SENSE.  Don't buy a dog if you like cats...

God bless in Jesus' name...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2005, 09:07:45 AM by jesusavedme » Logged
specs

I'm a Proud South African

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2005, 01:35:37 PM »

In which version of the Bible did you read that or wasit in one of the comics.
Please give me some reason why some christian says that contraceptive is against to the will of God.
Wink

<b>JDS</b>
jesusavedme

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2005, 08:44:29 AM »

What I am saying is this.  (The following illustration will provide a basis for my defense:) Some people pray for God to heal their headaches.  Yet, this same God they are praying to also gave them money and a drug store to buy medication in.  Yes, God does work miracles.  However, sometimes the answer is more simple than we would have assumed.  I believe that God usually only intervenes supernaturally when his provisions in the natural capacity will not suffice.  How does this apply to the situation at hand?  Some say, "Don't use contraception and just trust God not to get pregnant" (providing one believed that conception was not His will for them at the time).  Yes, God could answer that prayer.  But God probably won't because a little bit of faith in common sense (which He gave us) would rather dictate one taking a trip to the drug store for some condoms.  Our God is a simple God.  Take the cross for instance.  He uses the foolish things of this world to confound the wise.  My point is this: I think that God is capable of all things, yet at the same time, He wants us to utilize the capabilities He gave us: REASON AND COMMON SENSE.  Show me a verse in the Bible that explicitly condemns contraception and I will happily conceed.  Until then, this arguement appears to be splitting hairs.
M

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2005, 12:46:35 PM »

Interesting that someone would say "Some say, "Don't use contraception and just trust God not to get pregnant"
Is getting pregnant such a terrible thing?  

Maybe we need to look at this problem from a global perspective.   Some of the  countries that have the worst poverty have the most children.  Sometimes even when birth control methods are available.  Why then do these people have so many children?   Because children are their insurance policy and their cultures value children as precious.   Children are a joy, a symbol of hope.  Westerners see the third or fourth child as a burden on their time and finances.  

Look at China.  Yes it is a large populous country.  They have a "one family, one child" policy.  It is not just propoganda.  It is forced upon everyone.  Women's cycles are monitored by a neighbourhood committee.  Families having more than one child are fined.  Abortions are the most common form of birth control.  Women can not just keep having abortions.  After about three abortions most women can't have full term pregnancy because it damages their bodies.  The Chinese have little choice and many have not had the opportunity to know Christ.

Some Christian countries have tried to ban birth control due to the influence of the RC church (Ireland) or government policy (Romania).  Even when some birth control methods are legal they might be hard to find.  Most doctors wouldn't prescribe them and pharmacists won't stock them.  So then what do people do?
jgarden

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2005, 10:09:45 PM »

The Catholic Church has not faced the reality of 21stC and their stand on birth control is largely ignored by their membership in North America.  Having large families of children who were unplanned and can't be properly cared for doesn't glorify God.  Those who preach against contraception are mysteriously absent when it comes to providing support for those families who listed to them..

jgarden
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2005, 11:36:04 PM »

That is the same logic they use to prove abortions should be legaized!

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Corpus
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2005, 10:49:23 AM »

jgarden,

I certainly hope you're not suggesting that because a segment of a population, even a majority supports something, it has then passed some sort of 'God's-will' litmus test?

Having large families of children who were unplanned and can't be properly cared for doesn't glorify God.

So God only glories in well-planned, moderate to small sized families that are "properly" cared for?

Those who preach against contraception are mysteriously absent when it comes to providing support for those families who listed to them..

How have those preaching against contraception not supported the famiilies listening to them?
Corpus
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2005, 11:06:45 AM »

Let's keep in mind that our God is not void of common sense.  He gave all of us this gift for a reason.  Common sense tells me that if you can't afford more kids than you have...wear protection.  

jesusavedme,

I understand your point, and yet...would disagree with your assessment of God and common sense. If there is anything we learn through scripture, it is that God defies man's 'common sense.' Christ's parables are proof enough.

It is worth noting that up until 1930, all Christian churches opposed contraception as an unnatural and thus impermissible interference with God’s design for human sexuality. That changed when, at their 1930 Lambeth Conference, Anglicans began permitting the use of contraception on a limited basis; other denominations quickly absorbed the secular sexual morality that flooded into the world. Things grew so bad that by the early 1970s some religious leaders were advocating not only contraception, but even abortion (for those who would argue against the slippery-slope). When abortion was legalized by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1973, many of these ministers rethought the issue and became firmly prolife. In recent years, as the prolife mindset has grown strong in religious circles, many are reconsidering the issue of contraception and are rejecting the contraceptive mindset. In doing so, they are recognizing the path contraception takes us down, and returning to the historic position of Christianity and the position of their own forebears.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 11:08:20 AM by Corpus » Logged
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2005, 11:06:45 PM »

Patrick Fagan has an article on contraception in various places on the web.  He is the William H.G. FitzGerald Senior Fellow in Family and Cultural Issues at the Heritage Foundation in Washington, D.C.  UMCPage.org. has a website with loads of moral issues articles.  The article I'm thinking about is "A Culture of Inverted Sexuality."  It's also reprinted on http://www.catholiceducation.org/articles/sexuality/se0049.html

It's the best article I've ever read on the subject and would highly recommend it.

I mentioned this back in Dec. 04 in Theology----Re. Birth Control started by Philippians 4:13.  It's the 2nd reply. Smiley

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2005, 05:51:49 AM »

I took a look at this article.   There is quite a bit reasoning going on without any scripture to back up much of what is said.    Again you could make the same argument for whether pharmaceuticals are sinful in our day and age.  

Heres a small quote...

The abandonment of the reproductive function is the common feature of all perversions. We actually describe a sexual activity as perverse if it has given up the aim of reproduction and pursues the attainment of pleasure as an aim independent of it. So, as you will see, the breach and turning point in the development of sexual life lies in becoming subordinate to the purpose of reproduction. Everything that happens before this turn of events and equally everything that disregards it and that aims solely at obtaining pleasure is given the uncomplimentary name of "perverse" and as such is proscribed.

The abandonment of the reproductive function is the common feature of all perversions.   Huh

I want to be careful here, but this statement cannot be backed up scripturally any where.   Jesus did not marry and have children.   Did he abandon any reproductive command from God....absolutely not!   He was sinless!  

Is marital sex only for the purpose of reproduction?   Read Song of songs sometime.   Sex is Gods wedding gift to married couples, and scripture clearly points out the pleasure and intimacy value God intended between man and wife, not necessarily just for the purpose of having children.  

To be fair, the Bible also no where mentions NOT having children either, so there is no easy answer.

I will say it again.   This is something that I believe is between God and the married couple involved, as there simply IS NO doctrine outlined in scripture concerning contraception.  To create doctrine from human reasoning is not the answer.  Seeking Gods will in our lives when the answer is not clear is the only sensible course, and that would probably not be the same for each married couple, as God has different plans for each of us.

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Enslaved in service to Christ
cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2005, 07:45:14 PM »

Hi Tim,

Here's another website, if you're interested, http://www.totustuus.com/q+a.htm

They suggest reading a book by Charles Provan, "The Bible and Birth Control" which is written from a protestant perspective giving solid biblical arguments showing the evil of contraception.

When you get to the website, just click on "contraception".  This particular article is only about a page long. Smiley

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2005, 07:50:11 PM »

Hi Tim,

They suggest reading a book by Charles Provan, "The Bible and Birth Control" which is written from a protestant perspective giving solid biblical arguments showing the evil of contraception.

When you get to the website, just click on "contraception".  This particular article is only about a page long. Smiley

I just clicked on the page I gave you and it said I had encountered an error.  Then it said to go back to their home page.  I did and found a menu on the left side of that page.  Just click on the Q & A and it will take you to where the article is.

Sorry that happened. Tongue

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2005, 12:18:51 AM »

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the link.

A few quotes:
Contraception is a rejection of the Lordship of Jesus Christ. We are called to be submissive to Christ in everything. This includes: our time, our talent, our money, our career, and our fertility. The contracepting couple says to God, "I don't trust you with my fertility!"

While I agree with the premise of the argument, what happens if we apply the same to the use of medicine for health?   Or what about clipping our toe nails to make a silly argument?   Are we saying that we do not trust God with our health or these small details in our life?   Its a stretch me thinks.   I'm reminded of the story about the fellow who was standing on the roof of his house as the floods came up.   He asked God to rescue him.    As Boats kept going by he would refuse their help and say that God was going to rescue Him.   Smiley   Its sort of the same thing here.

Heres another quote:

Does this mean that God expects married couples to have as many children as possible?

No, it does not. What God does require is that every act of intercourse expresses the total gift of persons by being open to life. Married couples should always act responsibly. Thus, for serious reasons couples should limit the size of their families by using Natural Family Planning (NFP), which is not contraceptive. NFP uses the knowledge of a woman's natural reproductive cycles to abstain from intercourse on those days when conception is likely. Unlike contraception the unselfishness and discipline that NFP requires enhances a couple's love. In addition NFP has none of the negative physical side effects of the pill while being just as accurate.

In this quote they reverse what was said in the first.  The first quote says contraception is rejection of Lordship over our lives, and here they say its OK provided its done without the use of aids  Huh   Sounds very lawish if you ask me.

I certainly do not want anyone going by what I say is right or wrong, but I still see no scriptural evidence provided to make a claim either way.   I do believe that it is something that should be prayed about, but I personally am not convinced it is sin or wrong.   Just for clarity here, I will say that there is no question about the moral implications of the destruction of a fetus via contraception.   This I agree wholeheartedly would be wrong.

Grace and Peace!

Tim

cris
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2005, 12:44:15 AM »

Tim,

I don't see that they reversed what they said.  Natural Family Planning (NFP) isn't contraception.

I haven't read the book but would like to, one of these days.  

All Christianity considered birth control a sin until 1930.  They certainly felt led by the Holy Spirit.  For almost 2000 years it was a sin and now it isn't, hmmm.

Everyone has to choose for themselves.  It's a very worthy discussion and much has been written on it.  

I can understand why both sides feel the way they do.  I don't know which article I read it in, but it said there is virtually O divorce with couples practicing NFP.  Interesting!

cris

2nd Timothy
Gold Member

Resident Meese Master

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2005, 01:36:46 AM »

All Christianity considered birth control a sin until 1930.

I hear you Cris.  It is a frustrating issue because there is not much said about it in scripture.   A lot of christians believed woman wearing jeans, going to the movies, woman cutting their hair, playing football etc was sin back in the day.  Fortunately what believers think is not what makes it sin, its what God thinks.

They certainly felt led by the Holy Spirit.  For almost 2000 years it was a sin and now it isn't, hmmm.

Having several wives was not considered sin for several thousand years and suddenly it is?   Hmmm   Cheesy   (OKOK I'm being really sarcastic now...lol....forgive me!  Cheesy )   Believers today  feel led today by the same indwelling of Holy Spirit that is the same yesterday today and forever.   If one feels conviction about using contraception, then by all means do not.   But we cannot cast our own conviction on our brothers and sisters because we think it might be wrong or are convicted of it ourselves.   Its up to God to lead each of us into that truth through prayer and seeking.  

It's a very worthy discussion and much has been written on it.

Amen!   To be honest with you I don't know why I keep coming back to this thread.  It is an interesting subject, but one I believe wont be settled as black or white simply because its grey.

Grace and Peace!

Tim

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the