Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 04:20:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286808 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Fellowship
| |-+  You name it!! (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Secular Music
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Secular Music  (Read 3882 times)
Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

We'll party like we're dead.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2003, 05:54:04 PM »

Hehe. They did look funny. But 'Jesus Freak' was a good album.
kestrel

Remember them that are in bonds... Heb. 13:3

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2003, 08:56:24 PM »

I like dcTalk... Grin

But I like the Newsboys even better! Grin

God rocks!
nX

Return to the LORD your God, for He is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love.

~Joel 2:13 NIV
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2003, 01:14:45 AM »

I didn't like Jesus Freak. It seemed like they had been a boy band-ified!

The Newsboys where good when they first came out, everything after "take me to your leader" was a waste of digial coding. TMTYL wasn't even as good as everything before it. They were trying to brake out of the Petra mold, it sounded like, they only ended up breaking a few ear drums and there credability.

Rule of keeping your band alive #2346: When your fan base is full of left over Petra fans, you don't make a disco ablum, otherwise your fans are going to be more alienated then the cover of Take me to your leader!

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Saved_4ever
Gold Member

A KJV bible believing Christian

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2003, 04:48:25 AM »

It's actually a tough call and I can't say I think much of the modern "christian music".

How could anyone think creed was even worth listening to let alone christian.  Was it the giant tatoo of a croos on his arm?  Was it their obsession  to have the "singer" topless all the time?  So much for being in modest apparel I guess.  Roll Eyes

Tool, well considering they're pretty anit-christian with lyrics like Jesus blows his f****** whistle, something form the past is done.  Yeah that's good stuff to listen to.   Lips Sealed  We won't even go into their pictures.

I don't think the comment on DCtalk (however horrible they are) is fair to say that because you switch styles you sold out.  I don't know if they did or not, I just now know the trash I heard from them was enough to never listen to anything else again.

All in all I think it comes down to discernment really.  If it seems questionable then just  move on.  It's safer that way.  I have been invovled in music for 15 years, played in symphonic, orchestral, marching band in my school days and also played in a secular band for just over 8 years.  More opften than not you're better off without secular music and sticking to the good ole hymns and conservative christian music.  I can tell you most of the current "christian music" I hear sounds now different form secular music and they sing about themselves all the time and not God.  Most people seem to want to have their secular music by calling the band christian, it doesn't work if you're honest with yourself.

Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2003, 05:34:41 AM »

What a topic!  And sooooo many opinions.  Well, I'll add mine to the collection.

What I'll say here I have no scripture to support, it's just something that I've observed in life.  Prior to my salvation I was a huge Billy Joel fan.  I was convinced that to be saved, I'd have to give that up, partly because it was what I was being taught, and partly because it had a level of truth to it.  The truthful part was that I was holding on to another "god."  I wanted my music and was not willing to come to God...until my music was of little importance by comparison.  I needed God.  I wanted my music.  So I gave up Billy.

Later on I ran into people who didn't hold to my "Mac and Beth Lynch" philosophy of music!  They actually listened to CCM and liked it!  When I tried to point out a few points about it, they responded angrily - not with the loving fellowship that believers should respond in.  I began to see that in many people's lives music is either a "god" or an idol.  It was at that point that I began to approach music with this understanding: If it took my God's place, it was wrong.  If I could not, or would not turn it off for whatever reason, it was wrong.  Music is very controlling and "feel-good."  People don't want to give it up!  I think that is why so many people struggle with what is right and what isn't.  Point being, if it takes His place, regardless of style, it's wrong.

I personally am a country fan.  I like Alan Jackson and Lonestar!  Yeeeeeeeeehhhhhaaaaaawwwww!!!  But, my hand is never at a point where I cannot change the channel if something I hear lyrically does not honor my Father.  As for the lifestyles of the artists...we're all sinners, and some of us are saved by grace!  Does that help?

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2003, 09:41:30 AM »

Okay, so what you're really saying is that *you* liked their old style, and *you* are disappointed that they didn't stay with what you liked. Why didn't you just say that?

I didn't like Jesus Freak. It seemed like they had been a boy band-ified

Boy band??? I don't think you understand what that means, or else you didn't listen to Jesus Freak. It was completely grunge. Even the artwork, which Kmax designed himself.

Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2003, 02:50:23 PM »

Grunge? Now THAT'S a description for 'Jesus Freak' that I've never heard.
BDoggy

Have you heard? I broke up with Mary Jane! :)

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2003, 03:42:22 PM »

saved_4ever said, "Tool, well considering they're pretty anit-christian with lyrics like Jesus blows his f****** whistle, something form the past is done.  Yeah that's good stuff to listen to.    We won't even go into their pictures."

"yeah, i would definitely recommend lateralus. it is dramatically different than their other albums. they almost sound like a completely different band all together. all the dark imagery, the excessive swearing(Aenima), the drugs(My Third Eye), the anti-Christian lyrics(Eulogy) is all gone. lateralus actually has alot of positive, uplifting songs, and personally, although i'm sure it was not Tool's intentions, when i listen to this album, i almost cant help but to reflect on my relationship with God. trust me, it's a great album.(track 8 kinda sux, but thats it)"

maybe you skipped over that post.

"Virtually every theological heresy begins with a misconception of the nature of God."
                                            -Hank Hanegraaff
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2003, 05:41:49 PM »

Sapphire, the prominent bass, the power chords...grunge. The flannels and boots. The imagery on the album. How do you define grunge?

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2003, 07:16:38 PM »

THE SMALL WHITE CHURCHES OF THE SMALL WHITE TOWNS

"The twangy, off-key hymn songs of the poor,
 Not musical, but somehow beautiful.
 And the paper fans in motion, like little wings."

--Donald Justice

(from The New Yorker Magazine, March 17, 2003, p. 144)

The old-fashioned hymn singing is so beautiful.  And the people love to sing...

Smiley
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2003, 10:05:28 PM »

The old hyms. Yes, that's where the meat and potatoes are. Now those people understood the faith on a very deep level. *singing* A mighty fortress is our God, a bulwark never failing...

Today it's, I am a C... I am a C-h...I am a C-h-r-i-s-t-i-a-n! And I've got C-h-r-i-s-t in my h-e-a-r-t and I will l-i-v-e  e-t-e-rn-a-l-l-y!

Hm.

But for anyone who likes praise music, I do highly recommend Third Day's Offerings. I haven't heard Offerings 2 yet, but the first is very powerful. It puts my spirit in the perfect condition to pray, and...let's just say I highly recommend what it can do to your prayer life.

Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2003, 01:24:46 AM »

See, Saved, all this time you thought we had nothing in common. :-D Come

Sapphire, the prominent bass, the power chords...grunge.

Or metal, or punk, or Funk, or ska, or industeral, etc, etc.

The flannels and boots.

yeah, grunga, or punk, or Lumberjacks, or a boy band who is taking the ventage look WAY to far :-D

The imagery on the album. How do you define grunge?

6 pence and PFR and Shaded Red and the Normals have albums like that, are they grunge?

Boy bands pose as other styles all the time. The copy the rock and rap styles, in an effort to look cool.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2003, 02:37:20 PM »

Sapphire, the prominent bass, the power chords...grunge. The flannels and boots. The imagery on the album. How do you define grunge?

I'm not saying I disagree with you, I just haven't heard 'Jesus Freak' described as grunge before.
Whitehorse
Gold Member

I'll think of something.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2003, 10:37:29 PM »

But we both liked the album, so they must have done something right!  Wink
They signed my Supernatural album. Awwwww. I liked it, too. I like the song Dive. It's scary, but in a good way. I also have Michael's solo album. (His band is called Tait) I have Empty. I love the heavy sound. It just appeals somehow.

OKAY! Question for all you DCTalk listeners. Are they or are they not getting back together, despite what they've said so often in the past? Will Michael and KMax ever get along? Mind you, I haven't kept up on the details for a while...so maybe they are and I just don't know it!  Wink

Sapphire W34P0N
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2003, 02:35:48 PM »

I don't know...or care....

They're all solo artists now, so I doubt they'll ever make another album together.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the