Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:52:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286805 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  General Theology (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Being charismatic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Being charismatic  (Read 7340 times)
Tibby
Gold Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2003, 01:33:44 AM »

Let me just clarify a little:

Pentecostal and charismatic are not interchanged. I’m Charismatic, and  my Charismatic Denomination is very liturgical in nature, and if you know the Pentecostal, you know liturgical masses are not in there nature! Don’t confuse the Charismatic giftings with the emotionally run and money driven Charismatic movement. The giftings are real, the movement was/is an exploitation if those giftings and the emotions of the people who use them. The problem with the movement is all the loons in it, and all the Nuts who try to capitalize on the loons. Both give the rest of us a bad name.

The Roman Catholics do have a strong Charismatic group. As many Catholics read Charisma (the largest Charismatic periodical) as Pentecostals. The reason this movement within the Roman church hasn’t gotten out of hand, as some of the other churches has, is for 2 reasons. The first one is, again, they have probably the most structured, liturgical meetings out of any Denomination, and there is no time set aside for Ministry of that nature unless the Clergy make it. Secondly, while these Charismatic churches can break off in to “independent” church and play with snakes or sprinkle glitter and claim it is gold flakes from God, the Roman Catholic Church is a single, strong, governing body that has Priest set aside for the sole purpose for testing and researching these “works of God” and they weed out the Benny Hen wanta-be’s before they can get rolling.

Was there ever a time when Common sence was common?
Kris777
Gold Member

God is awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2003, 01:49:46 AM »

Could someone please tell me what charismatic means?

Romans 10:9  "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth thy Lord Jesus and believe in thy heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."

Jesus is our first, last and only hope.  Without Him we would be nothing.
Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2003, 04:28:44 AM »

Could someone please tell me what charismatic means?

CHARISMATIC, pronounced like the char in character, comes from the word charisma, “a divinely conferred gift of power.” In Biblical terms it refers to the special miraculous gift of the Pentecostal era, such as healing and speaking in tongues.

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2003, 04:32:06 AM »

I believe the number one problem with charismatic theology is the dogmatic "practice" of gifts no longer given.  I find it very interesting that Paul begins speaking on spiritual gifts in 1 Corinthians 12, then puts in the love chapter, then concludes in chapter 14 (more or less).  Contextually, the love chapter is in regards to the use of the gifts.  It is in this chapter that Paul makes reference to "that which is perfect" coming.  There are those who attribute this to Christ, though I have yet to find biblical support for this view.  I believe it to be referring to the scriptures, as do many others.

I tend to see charismatics as feeling based believers, rather than scripturally sound and practicing believers.  That's not to say that they don't read their bibles!  But rather, when their bibles disagree with their practice, they chose the feeling over the fact.  Conversely, I know many Baptists who, in fear of being coined as a charismatic, live lives devoid of the joy and feeling that obedience can and does provide.

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2003, 04:38:16 AM »

“For the Jews require a sign” (1. Corinthians 1:22), “An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign” (Matthew 12:39). “They said therefore unto Him, “What sign shewest Thou then, that we may see, and believe thee?” (John 6:30). “Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe” (John 4:48).

In His dealings with His earthly people, Israel, God gave them three notable signs: (1) The sign of the virgin birth of His Son –Isiah 7:14; (2) Sign of the resurrection of Christ Matthew 12:39; (3) Speaking in tongues during the period from Pentecost to 70 A.D. Tongues were a sign, not to believers, but to unbelievers—1. Corinthians 14:22. These were not Gentiles, but unbelieving Jews, “this people”—Isiah 28:11 and 1. Corinthians 14:21.

Brother Love Smiley

<Smiley))><
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2003, 04:16:17 PM »

I believe the number one problem with charismatic theology is the dogmatic "practice" of gifts no longer given.  I find it very interesting that Paul begins speaking on spiritual gifts in 1 Corinthians 12, then puts in the love chapter, then concludes in chapter 14 (more or less).  Contextually, the love chapter is in regards to the use of the gifts.  It is in this chapter that Paul makes reference to "that which is perfect" coming.  There are those who attribute this to Christ, though I have yet to find biblical support for this view.  I believe it to be referring to the scriptures, as do many others.

I tend to see charismatics as feeling based believers, rather than scripturally sound and practicing believers.  That's not to say that they don't read their bibles!  But rather, when their bibles disagree with their practice, they chose the feeling over the fact.  Conversely, I know many Baptists who, in fear of being coined as a charismatic, live lives devoid of the joy and feeling that obedience can and does provide.

DITTO Grin

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2003, 04:17:45 PM »

“For the Jews require a sign” (1. Corinthians 1:22), “An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign” (Matthew 12:39). “They said therefore unto Him, “What sign shewest Thou then, that we may see, and believe thee?” (John 6:30). “Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe” (John 4:48).

In His dealings with His earthly people, Israel, God gave them three notable signs: (1) The sign of the virgin birth of His Son –Isiah 7:14; (2) Sign of the resurrection of Christ Matthew 12:39; (3) Speaking in tongues during the period from Pentecost to 70 A.D. Tongues were a sign, not to believers, but to unbelievers—1. Corinthians 14:22. These were not Gentiles, but unbelieving Jews, “this people”—Isiah 28:11 and 1. Corinthians 14:21.

Brother Love Smiley

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME!!! And AMEN!!!

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2003, 06:47:13 PM »

Brother Love Smiley

Bro Love,

Good Point;

Signs and Wisdom...neither will get anybody anywhere.

1 Cor 12
19  For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
20  Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
21  For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
22  For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
23  But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
24  But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
25  Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26  For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
27  But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;

Signs and Wisdom without Understanding will never get anyone to God.

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.  (1 Cor 2:14)

16  .... Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding?
17  Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?
18  But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
19  For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:

Unless God thru the Spirit, opens a mans understanding, to understand the scriptures, men will remain blind and ignorant of what the mystery of God is..

And CharismatISM, PentacostalISM, and every other kind if ISM they esxcercise is futile..

Blessings,
Petro

Allinall
Gold Member

HE is my All in All.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2003, 02:29:20 AM »

&#8220;For the Jews require a sign&#8221; (1. Corinthians 1:22), &#8220;An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign&#8221; (Matthew 12:39). &#8220;They said therefore unto Him, &#8220;What sign shewest Thou then, that we may see, and believe thee?&#8221; (John 6:30). &#8220;Except ye see signs and wonders, ye will not believe&#8221; (John 4:48).

In His dealings with His earthly people, Israel, God gave them three notable signs: (1) The sign of the virgin birth of His Son &#8211;Isiah 7:14; (2) Sign of the resurrection of Christ Matthew 12:39; (3) Speaking in tongues during the period from Pentecost to 70 A.D. Tongues were a sign, not to believers, but to unbelievers&#8212;1. Corinthians 14:22. These were not Gentiles, but unbelieving Jews, &#8220;this people&#8221;&#8212;Isiah 28:11 and 1. Corinthians 14:21.

Brother Love

Amen and amen!  Again, I believe there was a practical side to the gift of tongues as well.  They knew in part, and spoke in part.  There was a need to bring the word to others who did not necessarily speak the same language.  It is also interesting, that to one was given the gift of tongues, and to another the gift of interpreting tongues.  The purpose was always for the communication of the word - not for communication.

"that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death"
Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2003, 04:02:23 AM »

QUOTE Petro:

Unless God thru the Spirit, opens a mans understanding, to understand the scriptures, men will remain blind and ignorant of what the mystery of God is..

And CharismatISM, PentacostalISM, and every other kind if ISM they esxcercise is futile..

Amen Brother

Brother Love Smiley

<Smiley))><
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 16, 2003, 06:54:58 PM »

Brother Love Smiley

Bro Love,

Good Point;

Signs and Wisdom...neither will get anybody anywhere.

1 Cor 12
19  For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
20  Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
21  For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
22  For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
23  But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
24  But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
25  Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26  For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
27  But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;

Signs and Wisdom without Understanding will never get anyone to God.

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.  (1 Cor 2:14)

16  .... Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding?
17  Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught?
18  But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
19  For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:

Blessings,
Petro

Another Amen for you Petro

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

Brother Love
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2003, 04:48:33 AM »

1. Tongues in the Bible were known languages, not gibberish.

2. Tongues were a sign to unbelieving Jews, never to convince Gentiles or the Church. The Jews are a sign people – 1. Cor. 1:22.

3. Tongues were to cease when their need as a sign was fulfilled – 1. 13:8.

4. Not every believer spoke in tongues, only specially gifted ones – 1. Cor 12:30.

5. Never a sign of spirituality, but rather lack of it. Never practiced in any of the spiritual assemblies, only in carnal Corinth.

6. In the Bible, no woman ever spoke in tongues. Think what this would do to the modern tongues movement! In Acts 1:14, “These all” is in the masculine gender in the Greek, showing that only the men prayed, although women were present. in the big chapter on tongues, 1. Cor. 14, the women are explicitly forbidden to speak, in verse 34.

7. Our Lord Jesus Christ never spoke in tongues! Nor did the Apostle Paul at the time of his conversion. Tongues had nothing to do with salvation.

Brother Love Smiley

<Smiley))><
Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2003, 12:47:13 PM »

1. Tongues in the Bible were known languages, not gibberish.

2. Tongues were a sign to unbelieving Jews, never to convince Gentiles or the Church. The Jews are a sign people – 1. Cor. 1:22.

3. Tongues were to cease when their need as a sign was fulfilled – 1. 13:8.

4. Not every believer spoke in tongues, only specially gifted ones – 1. Cor 12:30.

5. Never a sign of spirituality, but rather lack of it. Never practiced in any of the spiritual assemblies, only in carnal Corinth.

6. In the Bible, no woman ever spoke in tongues. Think what this would do to the modern tongues movement! In Acts 1:14, “These all” is in the masculine gender in the Greek, showing that only the men prayed, although women were present. in the big chapter on tongues, 1. Cor. 14, the women are explicitly forbidden to speak, in verse 34.

7. Our Lord Jesus Christ never spoke in tongues! Nor did the Apostle Paul at the time of his conversion. Tongues had nothing to do with salvation.

Brother Love Smiley

I agree

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the