Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:07:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286806 Posts in 27568 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Theology
| |-+  Apologetics (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  Finding the word "rapture"
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Finding the word "rapture"  (Read 3695 times)
Psalm 119

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2003, 08:38:46 PM »

Could anyone direct me to any Christian publication that mentions the word "rapture" prior to 1850?
Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2003, 02:00:11 AM »

Ambassador4Christ
Gold Member

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2003, 01:45:56 PM »

Posted in THE RAPTURE! EVERYTHING YOU WANTED TO KNOW  @
http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=256

You've probably heard someone proclaim confidently that rapture is not in the Bible. Many have accepted this challenge to the truth at face value. But contrary to popular belief, the concept and the word "rapture" are in the Bible.

"These were more fair-minded than those in Thessalonica, in that they received the word with all readiness, and searched the Scriptures daily to find out whether these things were so." Acts 17:11

The Root of the Issue

The Bible has been translated into many languages from the original languages in which it was written (mainly Hebrew and Koine Greek). We must keep this in mind when we affirm that something is or is not in "the Bible." The common Latin verb "rapere" (root of the English "rapture") is in the Latin Bible (2 Cor. 12:4; 1 Thes. 4:17). It is translated from the original New Testament Greek verb "harpazo." This is where we derive the English word "harpoon" from. Most English Bibles translate it as "caught up." However it could just as easily be translated "carried away," "snatched up," "seized away by force," or "raptured" (see "catch" in Vine's Dict.)! In other words "rapture," "harpazo" and "catch up" are all synonyms in three different languages (Latin, Greek, English) which are in "the Bible." Before saying something is not in the Bible, it must first be defined.

"And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32

Testing the Rule

The word "rapture" may not be in most English translations of the Bible. However, to say that it is not in "the Bible" attains to the ignorance of saying that the Hebrew words Yahweh (LORD) or Yeshua (Jesus or Joshua) are not in the Bible. The same unsound reasoning could also be used to dismiss the legitimacy of the word "Bible." It is not actually in the translated text of the English Bible, but it is a transliteration of the New Testament Greek word "biblion" ("book" in Lk. 4:17). The word "trinity/triunity" is yet another Biblical term not found in the Bible. However the concept of the three persons (Father, Son, Holy Spirit) of the "Godhead" (Rom. 1:20, Col. 2:9) sharing one divine nature is undeniable fact (Deut. 6:4; Mt. 3:16, 28:19; Jn 10:30; 14:16; 1 Cor. 12:4-6; 2 Cor. 5:19; Eph. 1:3-14; Php. 2:6...). Furthermore, in addition to the rapture, many English concepts are also labeled with Latin names (plants, animals, music, grammatics, etc.). For Latin has historically been considered the language of education, religion and science. This same critical examination should be used anytime a sound Biblical doctrine is challenged. Especially on as shaky ground as this.

"Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables." 2 Timothy 4:2-4

In summary, yes! Rapture is in "the Bible." The Latin derivative "rapture" is a synonym for the English "catch up." Both terms are translated from the Greek "harpazo." All three terms are found in the Bible which corresponds to their respective languages (2 Cor. 12:4; 1 Thes. 4:17). Therefore it is Biblical and perfectly appropriate that the event of First Thessalonians four be referred to as the Rapture.

"Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up (harpazo, raptured) together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore comfort one another with these words." 1 Thes. 4:17-18

MARANATHA!!! (1 Cor. 16:22, Aramaic: "Our Lord, come")

Are You GOING TO HEAVEN?

http://forums.christiansunite.com/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=550

Galatians 4:16   Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?
Psalm 119

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2003, 04:41:09 PM »

Ambassador of Christ,

You did not answer the question whether someone could point me to any Christian publication where the word rapture was used...prior to 1850.

I just found an interesting quote from the beloved and widely known Corrie tenBoom. She stated in the Logos Journal, Nov-Dec 1974; "The rapture doctrine is a false teaching that Jesus warned us to expect in the latter days."

From my understanding a woman named Margaret McDonald of Port Glasgow, Scotland is the first person to get this new doctrine of the rapture(1830's). Then a man named John Darby organizer of the Plymouth Brethern movement. Then Edward Irving of the Catholic Apostolic Church, then C.I. Scofield.

Supposedly, there were no Christian churches, congregations or fellowships existing prior to 1830 proclaiming a rapture doctrine, and all accepted the Biblical truth that Christians would be on the earth during the time of great tribulation. Before 1830, the single rapture scriptures of 1 Thess 4:13-18 were accepted as resurrection verses.

Isn't it interesting for the first 1800 years of the life of the Church there was no secret rapture. Yet, in the 1830's a woman (Margaret McDonald) was given this secret revelation.

I politely ask again, is there anyone who can direct me to any Church literature prior to 1850 ( actually 1830) that states otherwise.

Sincerely,
Psalm 119
sanvan

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2003, 08:07:09 PM »

Hello Psalm 119,

I like you!!!  I am new here.  This is my very first post.  I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness, have been out for several years.  This rapture thing and other traditionally accepted doctrines have bugged me for a looooong time.  Why are they just accepted without being researched.  Clarification: I am a Christian.  I will not claim a denomination.  

Coming out of the tower, there were many, many things I had to unlearn, and many things I had to learn and research, and I have basically had to DECIDE what I believe based on scripture alone.  

Much more could be shared, but I am testing the water here.

Thanks,

Sanvan
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2003, 08:57:20 PM »

Just a point,  the Plymouth Brethern's founder was a man by the name of, Dr. Edward Cronin, in 1825 at Dublin, Ireland, this church was also established in England, which is where , J.N. Darby, an Ireland Clergyman and Lawyer,  enters the picture around 1827, he was not the founder, which is a misconception, but was influential over the years as to its success, in the split known even today as the "Closed Brethern Assemblies", while the original Brethern churches are refferred to as  the "Open Brethern Assemblies".

The raputre is actually more associated with a;
"heretic was Edward Irving (1792-1834) who was deposed in 1833 from the Church of Scotland on the charge that he held to the sinfulness of Christ's humanity. Prior to this, manifestation of tongues and healing appeared in his church in London, and his congregation had become a rallying point for millennial expectations."

"The, Irvingite eschatology is unclear. The Irvingites did not teach imminency, or that the seventeenth week of Daniel would intervene between the Rapture and the Second Advent. These were doctrines that Darby clearly taught in the Powerscourt conference of 1833. A historian gives a proper description on this subject."

"Darby's opponents claimed that the doctrine [of the rapture] originated in one of the outburst of tongues in Edward Irving's church about 1832. This seems to be a groundless and pernicious charge. Neither Irving nor any member of the Albury group advocated any doctrine resembling the secret rapture. As we have seen, they were all historicists, looking for the fulfillment of one or another prophecy in the revelation as the next step in the divine time table, anticipating the second coming at Christ soon but not immediately. There is no connection between Darby's Pre-Tribulationism ant the Irvingite teaching."  Anyhow;

Margaret Mac Donald, a fifteen year old mystic, in 1828, supposedly is the first person to mention "pre-tribulation rapture" she had in a vision, and wrote about it in 1830. She was a member of Irvings church.

Read the rest of the story, here at:

I am sure there are other sites, which may shed more info, on the question.  I think, 1830 is probaly the ealiest the date.

http://www.thekkel.com/rapture.html

Note , how Margaret MacDonald is refferred to, "A Mystic".

Prior to 1830, there never existed the Teaching of the Rapture, Pre-Millinial or otherwise, but since this is an end times, prophecy, it doesn't mean, that just because the church fathers didn't teach it, it is not taught in scripture, since it is the scriptures which establish doctrinal truths to be taught,  not, the church.  

So I wouldn't discount the teaching of it altogether. Even thou I personally do not ascribe to the Pre mil view point, for the simple reason, there is nothing said about a secret rapture in scripture, which is how Pre-Millinialists fit it, into their theology.

What is clear is that Jesus, does return towards the very end of the Tribulation.

Blessings,

Petro

Symphony
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2003, 09:00:39 AM »

Yes, I tend to think we will go through the trib'n.  But, as long as we are walking by faith--that is the point.  God will send Jesus to get us when He's ready.
Psalm 119

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2003, 01:23:53 PM »

Sanvan,

I'm so thankful that you are no longer part of the JW's. Although they have some truth ( realizing the paganism behind holiday's and such), however,they lack "The Truth" that Jesus is God in the flesh. Praise God you have been delivered!

Now you must be on guard that you are not deceived by seducing spirits. You don't want to go from one untruth to another.

It's amazing the traditions that many Christians cling to that have no biblical foundations.However, many are founded on paganisim....that's another topic.

Petro, thank you for your insight and some clarification on some of the historical background of the rapture. ( although it sounds by the article on the link that the author is still convinced otherwise....or justifiy it...I'll reread it to make sure.)

I appreciate your imput.

Psalm 119
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2003, 06:41:15 PM »

Psalm 119,

I wanted to add to what I had said, that the belief or teaching of the rapture itself are secondary issues, which to my knowledge are NOT based of heretical teaching or otherwise, and therefore are not as important as the doctrines, which lay the foundations to repentance, faith, baptism and works, so, whether one believes in Pre Trib, Post Trib, No Trib or is Almillial or not, in itself are not a big deal;  what makes them a big deal is when other teachings are incorporated into it, that change the truth of scripture, to that of lies and contradictions.

For instance, if one believes in the Tribulation, or not and then, rejects the earthly reign of Jesus, it ususally does not end here, but goes on to teach other doctrines which in turn reject, the saving of national Israel, then we've got problems.

Because this is the period of time, when God re establishes the Nation as the head isntead of the tail, and fulfills His promises to Jacob, and the Nation.

And if God does not fulfill promises to srael, what hope can we have he fulfills, the promises he has made to us (gentiles).

The Tribulation, will bring on the "Day of the Lord", and it is a day, wherein He has set, whereby He will pour out His wrath on the Earth, a vivid picture of this day, is painted in the Books of  Isaiah, Ezekial, Joel, Zephaniah.

If Christians, are not taken out the earth, prior or during to the Tribulation, God is perfectly well and able to keep, His elect from His wrath, according to His  Will.

So either way, Cristians, should not worry..about the wrath of God.

Blessings,  
Petro

Good Bless,

Psalm 119

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2003, 07:52:02 PM »

Petro,

I used to believe that it reallly didn't matter as to whether one is pre, mid, or post trib.....but over the years I have seen the rotten fruit of the pre trib view.

Many that adhere to the pre-trib view have an escapism mentality. Many believe they will never suffer persecution, or even martyrdom....that it's a very remote chance....since  they will be gone when it all occurs.

This doctrine flies in the face of the millions of Christians who have been martyred for their faith in the past century. They were not raptured out....maybe it's because they're not Americans? It's like American Christians are somehow immune to persecution or martyrdom....unless you go to the mission field in some foreign country.

I know this isn't a salvation issue, but sound doctrine does matter. If one does not believe that he could be persecuted or martyred, could that make one a possible canidate for the "great falling away?

We should hope for the best (in the Lord) but be prepared (spiritually) for the worst case scenario .(actually receiving a martyr's crown would be an honor)

Blessings,
Psalm 119
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2003, 09:28:00 PM »

Petro,

I used to believe that it reallly didn't matter as to whether one is pre, mid, or post trib.....but over the years I have seen the rotten fruit of the pre trib view.

Many that adhere to the pre-trib view have an escapism mentality. Many believe they will never suffer persecution, or even martyrdom....that it's a very remote chance....since  they will be gone when it all occurs.

This doctrine flies in the face of the millions of Christians who have been martyred for their faith in the past century. They were not raptured out....maybe it's because they're not Americans? It's like American Christians are somehow immune to persecution or martyrdom....unless you go to the mission field in some foreign country.

I know this isn't a salvation issue, but sound doctrine does matter. If one does not believe that he could be persecuted or martyred, could that make one a possible canidate for the "great falling away?

We should hope for the best (in the Lord) but be prepared (spiritually) for the worst case scenario .(actually receiving a martyr's crown would be an honor)

Blessings,
Psalm 119

Psalm 119,

I agree with you, and you are right, the teaching, doies lead to other doctrines which are questionable, Just 2 weeks ago, when questioning a Christian Pastor, who is solidly, entrenched in this teaching, abruptly, ended the conversation, saying, I am sick an tired with people  arguing with me on this matter, and walked away, and then in talking with a member of his church, come to find out, this was a big issue in his church, because of his, unyielding stance to a questionable doctrine.  Oh, well; he later apoligized, and we patched things, over, I told him, I never new about the problems he was experiencing, but simply wanted to see, what scriptures he relied in to stand so firm, on such teaching, but he never answered, mainly because there are no air proof answers.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in a rapture, but, not Pre Trib.

The biggest question I have is how do they, get around, the return at Jesus second coming;
where the angel said;

Acts 1
10  And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel;
11  Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

The Pre Trib rapture, as explained by those that subscribe to it, have Jesus, simply returning in the air, and never setting foot on the earth, yet;

There is no scripture, which supports the idea that Jesus, leaves His place at the right hand of the Father in heaven twice.

God Bless,

Petro

Brother Love
Gold Member

"FAITH ALONE IN CHRIST ALONE"

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2003, 05:01:43 AM »

"Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables." 2 Timothy 4:2-4

The Rapture is in "the Bible." The Latin derivative "rapture" is a synonym for the English "catch up." Both terms are translated from the Greek "harpazo." All three terms are found in the Bible which corresponds to their respective languages (2 Cor. 12:4; 1 Thes. 4:17). Therefore it is Biblical and perfectly appropriate that the event of First Thessalonians four be referred to as the Rapture.

"Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up (harpazo, raptured) together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And thus we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore comfort one another with these words." 1 Thes. 4:17-18

MARANATHA!!! (1 Cor. 16:22, Aramaic: "Our Lord, come")

Amen A4C

Brother Love Smiley

THINGS THAT DIFFER By C.R. Stam
Read it on line for "FREE"

http://www.geocities.com/protestantscot/ttd/ttd_chap1.html

<Smiley))><
Psalm 119

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2003, 09:58:39 AM »

Petro,

I'm with you brother about anticipating the return of the Lord. That is, his bodily return to earth when He stands on the Mt. Olives. (Zech 14:4)

I never could understand how the pre-trib view had Him coming back twice....it never made sense.

The main thing is that we are able to stand in whatever lies ahead.

Psalm 119
Petro
Gold Member

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2003, 10:30:52 AM »

Psam 119,

Amen,  

I love this verse;

Eph 6
13  Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
14  Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
15  And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
16  Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.
17  And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
18  Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

God Bless,  

Petro

Psalm 119

I'm a llama!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2003, 01:56:09 PM »

Amen!

Psalm 119
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the