Webmasters
• Christian Guestbooks
• Banner Exchange
• Dynamic Content

Subscribe to our Free Newsletter.
Enter your email address:

ChristiansUnite
Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 12:27:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Our Lord Jesus Christ loves you.
286974 Posts in 27572 Topics by 3790 Members
Latest Member: Goodwin
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  ChristiansUnite Forums
|-+  Entertainment
| |-+  Politics and Political Issues (Moderator: admin)
| | |-+  A Worthy Quote
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 129 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Worthy Quote  (Read 261222 times)
nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

May God Lead And Guide Us All

View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: August 03, 2011, 06:11:02 PM »

Founder's Quote Daily

"No morn ever dawned more favorable than ours did; and no day was every more clouded than the present! Wisdom, and good examples are necessary at this time to rescue the political machine from the impending storm." --George Washington, letter to James Madison, 1786

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: August 04, 2011, 03:46:29 PM »

Founder's Quote Daily

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom of Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops that can be, on any pretence, raised in the United States." --Noah Webster, An Examination of the Leading Principles of the Federal Constitution, 1787

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: August 05, 2011, 04:19:50 PM »

Founder's Quote Daily

"The aim of every political constitution is, or ought to be, first to obtain for rulers men who possess most wisdom to discern, and most virtue to pursue, the common good of the society; and in the next place, to take the most effectual precautions for keeping them virtuous whilst they continue to hold their public trust." --James Madison, Federalist No. 57, 1788

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: August 08, 2011, 03:52:48 PM »

Founder's Quote Daily

"An honest man can feel no pleasure in the exercise of power over his fellow citizens....There has never been a moment of my life in which I  should have relinquished for it the enjoyments of my family, my farm, my friends & books." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to John Melish, 1813

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: August 09, 2011, 03:59:34 PM »

Founder's Quote Daily

"No man is allowed to be a judge in his own cause, because his interest would certainly bias his judgment, and, not improbably, corrupt his integrity." --James Madison, Federalist No. 10, 1787

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: August 11, 2011, 03:09:15 AM »

Founder's Quote Daily

"We have heard of the impious doctrine in the old world, that the people were made for kings, not kings for the people. Is the same doctrine to be revived in the new, in another shape - that the solid happiness of the people is to be sacrificed to the views of political institutions of a different form? It is too early for politicians to presume on our forgetting that the public good, the real welfare of the great body of the people, is the supreme object to be pursued; and that no form of government whatever has any other value than as it may be fitted for the attainment of this object." --James Madison, Federalist No. 45

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: August 11, 2011, 03:39:25 PM »

Founder's Quote Daily

"History by apprising [citizens] of the past will enable them to judge of the future; it will avail them of the experience of other times and other nations; it will qualify them as judges of the actions and designs of men; it will enable them to know ambition under every disguise it may assume; and knowing it, to defeat its views." --Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia, Query 14, 1781

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: August 12, 2011, 06:12:22 PM »

Founder's Quote Daily

"Not all the treasures of the world, so far as I believe, could have induced me to support an offensive war, for I think it murder; but if a thief breaks into my house, burns and destroys my property, and kills or threatens to kill me, or those that are in it, and to 'bind me in all cases whatsoever' to his absolute will, am I to suffer it?" --Thomas Paine, The American Crises, No. 1, 1776

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: August 15, 2011, 05:02:22 PM »

Founder's Quote Daily

"The citizens of the United States of America have the right to applaud themselves for having given to mankind examples of an enlarged and liberal policy worthy of imitation. All possess alike liberty of conscience and immunities of citizenship. It is now no more that toleration is spoken of as if it were by the indulgence of one class of citizens that another enjoyed the exercise of their inherent natural rights, for happily the Government of the United States, which gives to bigotry no sanction, to persecution no assistance, requires only that they who live under its protection should demean themselves as good citizens in giving it on all occasions their effectual support." --George Washington, letter to the Hebrew Congregation of Newport, Rhode Island, 1790

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: August 16, 2011, 11:08:50 PM »

Founder's Quote Daily

"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman." --Thomas Paine, The American Crises, No. 1, 1776

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: August 17, 2011, 05:30:13 PM »

Founder's Quote Daily

"He who is permitted by law to have no property of his own, can with difficulty conceive that property is founded in anything but force." --Thomas Jefferson, to Bancroft, 1788

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: August 18, 2011, 12:39:35 PM »

Founder's Quote Daily

"If by the liberty of the press were understood merely the liberty of discussing the propriety of public measures and political opinions, let us have as much of it as you please: But if it means the liberty of affronting, calumniating and defaming one another, I, for my part, own myself willing to part with my share of it, whenever our legislators shall please so to alter the law and shall cheerfully consent to exchange my liberty of abusing others for the privilege of not being abused myself." --Benjamin Franklin, An Account of the Supremest Court of Judicature in Pennsylvania, viz. The Court of the Press, 1789

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: August 19, 2011, 11:35:00 AM »

Founder's Quote Daily

"I should consider the speeches of Livy, Sallust, and Tacitus, as preeminent specimens of logic, taste and that sententious brevity which, using not a word to spare, leaves not a moment for inattention to the hearer. Amplification is the vice of modern oratory." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to David Harding, 1824

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: August 22, 2011, 03:10:50 PM »

Founder's Quote Daily

"Without justice being freely, fully, and impartially administered, neither our persons, nor our rights, nor our property, can be protected. And if these, or either of them, are regulated by no certain laws, and are subject to no certain principles, and are held by no certain tenure, and are redressed, when violated, by no certain remedies, society fails of all its value; and men may as well return to a state of savage and barbarous independence." --Joseph Story, Commentaries on the Constitution, 1833

nChrist
Global Moderator
Gold Member

View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: August 23, 2011, 02:54:07 PM »

Founder's Quote Daily

"It should be the highest ambition of every American to extend his views beyond himself, and to bear in mind that his conduct will not only affect himself, his country, and his immediate posterity; but that its influence may be co-extensive with the world, and stamp political happiness or misery on ages yet unborn." --George Washington, letter to the Legislature of Pennsylvania, 1789

Pages: 1 ... 87 88 [89] 90 91 ... 129 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

More From ChristiansUnite...    About Us | Privacy Policy | | ChristiansUnite.com Site Map | Statement of Beliefs

Copyright © 1999-2019 ChristiansUnite.com. All rights reserved.
Please send your questions, comments, or bug reports to the